MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA low-cost terminal draws flak

And the LCCT is getting bad press. :nea:

Yesterday in heavy thunderstorm, a part of the LCCT roof at the arrival hall was torn off by strong winds and landed in the car park. Read story in Malay here:

http://www.hmetro.com.my/Current_News/HM/T...cle/indexm_html

The Star

Monday November 27, 2006

Low-cost terminal draws flak

By GEETHA KRISHNAN

Photos by SAM THAM

geetha@thestar.com.my

IPB Image

A traveller glancing through flight information written on a whiteboard at the LCCT arrival hall.

A sense of deja vu prevails at the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT-KLIA) in Sepang. Scenes at the LCCT are only too familiar for those who have visited the old Terminal 3 in Subang. There is room for improvement but things should get moving in view of Visit Malaysia Year 2007.

Most passengers met at the RM108mil terminal, catering to budget airlines like AirAsia, Thai AirAsia and PT Indonesia AirAsia, felt “low-cost” was not a reason for compromise.

A good example is the whiteboard scribbled with flight information at the arrival lounge, in place of an electronic display terminal. Parking bays are insufficient, too, within the uncovered parking area.

Nearly five million passengers have passed through the LCCT since March and the figure is expected to reach six million by year-end. Yet seats at the departure lounge are limited, forcing passengers to utilise trolleys and floor bars as seats.

Frequent traveller Rudolf Steiger said he was shooed away for sitting in a restaurant and not ordering anything while waiting for his flight to Vietnam. He had no alternative because the lounge was full.

Malaysian Kong Saw Kuen who has caught a few flights from the LCCT said the international departure hall was small and only had one washroom and a cafe.

F&B outlets include McDonald’s, Asian Kitchen and The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. A plate of nasi lemak or noodles with a drink costs RM9 but eating like this on a daily basis takes its toll on staff like P. Gunaseelan.

“Sometimes, I go for the packed meals sold to staff but the service isn’t regular. To save some money, I am now bringing meals from home,” said the sales clerk, who is also forced to park elsewhere daily.

French traveller Sandrine Marty, who was on her way to Sabah, said KLIA was impressive but the LCCT was hot and stuffy.

“Commuting between the two is difficult when you’re lugging several bags. I was quoted RM38 for a budget taxi but the Lonely Planet guide prompted me to opt for the bus service,” she shared.

A 15-minute ride on board the Aerobus plying between KLIA and the LCCT costs RM1.50 one-way. Skybus, operated by AirAsia, offers rides to KL Sentral for RM9 one-way at 30-minute intervals.

Service is regular but the condition of some buses leaves much to be desired. There were also complaints that the buses stop at Sentral at the lower ground floor, which is a long way from the taxi stand to the city.

Motorists driving to the LCCT cover a 20km-distance from the KLIA but buses and taxis take a shorter route through the Bunga Raya Complex. If everything goes well, a 13.4km railway track will be built to cut travelling time.

The LCCT taxi service is divided into budget, premier and family, with fares to Kuala Lumpur at RM56.60, RM92.40 and RM138 each. One traveller said a tout at KLIA wanted RM170 for the ride to the LCCT!

Some might argue that the LCCT has only been given a few months to prove itself. It garnered the CAPA Low-Cost Airport of the Year at the CAPA Aviation Awards for Excellence 2006.

By virtue of its association with KLIA, the nation’s pride, the LCCT should also deliver.

Edited by Naim

Yesterday in heavy thunderstorm, a part of the LCCT roof at the arrival hall was torn off by strong winds and landed in the car park. Read story in Malay here:

http://www.hmetro.com.my/Current_News/HM/T...cle/indexm_html

Oh, only if the roofing flew over to the aircraft bay and hit one of the 733's.. :girl_devil: . Now that's news!

Welcome to Bolehland, where the principle of caveat emptor is still at its best! You want low cost, you get low cost!

Since they already got the plasma/LCD screen to display flight information, why they need the whote board?

If LCCT is the only building that is being damaged by the strong wind while the other building surrounding LCCT still in good shape, we can tell how good the quality is :nea:

I'd rather avoid flights ex-LCCT. It is just chaotic and some people simply don't know how the queue up. Those at MTB are more orderly, from my observation.

Flying to the LCCT is fine thus far.

Edited by Rozhan

Well you want fast work to win over Changi Budget Terminal opening day, this is what you get; A piece of roof can fly.

Seriously I rather they take the time to build the LCCT and build a Changi BT-like LCCT instead of a "KLIA LCC Puduraya".

Edited by Adrian M

Seriously I rather they take the time to build the LCCT and build a Changi BT-like LCCT instead of a "KLIA LCC Puduraya".

Don’t expect LCCT to improve much as loyalty, ministers and their families don’t travel on lcc or bus. Like Puduraya, LCCT is here to stay for the people.

:drinks:

i prefer you guys to comment on this pics..taken by my friend Wana who works at AK's office at LCCT...

IPB Image

IPB Image

they did repair work immediately after that...

Edited by Fairul

i prefer you guys to comment on this pics..taken by my friend Wana who works at AK's office at LCCT...

IPB Image

IPB Image

they did repair work immediately after that...

Guess the contractor has either under estimated the wind load or didn’t fix roofing sheet properly.

Don’t expect LCCT to improve much as loyalty, ministers and their families don’t travel on lcc or bus. Like Puduraya, LCCT is here to stay for the people.

Yeah, this is Malaysia Boleh!

I understand in countries like Sweden, even the Prime Minister takes the normal, ordinary shuttle bus sometimes to work. Here in Malaysia, whenever some minister travel like ordinary Malaysian, they would first ensure there are an entourage of reporters and photographers with them to make sure its on the front page of every newspaper the next day!

Despite all the nay-sayers, I have to say that I'm enjoying all my AK trips from/to LCCT so far. In fact I prefer simple LCCT to main terminal. Flown AK umpteen times and soon 5 jalan-jalan el-cheapo AK flights in the next 4 months: SDK, BKI, MVZ, CGK, TWU. So far, smooth check-ins, few delays, sometimes early arrivals, all fine. Value for money and no complaints, for me lah. :good:

I know LCCT won't improve much of it. What I meant is they should've take the time of building LCCT back then when it's still in the blue print and planing days to build a more better LCCT rather than focusing to race the opening date. But since current LCCT is a temporary terminal so, won't have any hopes on any improvements.

Despite all the nay-sayers, I have to say that I'm enjoying all my AK trips from/to LCCT so far. In fact I prefer simple LCCT to main terminal. Flown AK umpteen times and soon 5 jalan-jalan el-cheapo AK flights in the next 4 months: SDK, BKI, MVZ, CGK, TWU. So far, smooth check-ins, few delays, sometimes early arrivals, all fine. Value for money and no complaints, for me lah. :good:

Yup, so far I also have good memories and experience when using the LCCT.

And the LCCT is also have the McDonald nearest to Oscar Hotel, in case your stomach needs it during spotting!

In today's The Star newspaper, someone draw cartoon to comment LCCT as Low Class Carrier Terminal :o

Low Class Carrier Terminal, well I definitely agreed with it.

But since current LCCT is a temporary terminal so, won't have any hopes on any improvements.

Puduraya was supposed to be upgraded 20 years ago or replaced 10 years ago but is still there. All because people in power don’t travel by bus. Likewise, the ‘temporary’ LCCT will be here for at least 10 years or longer if ERL is serving LCCT.

Compared with MTB, LCCT is a better terminal in term of accessibility, simplicity, easy and quick for boarding and arrival except the march on apron. However, can be over crowded during peak period e.g. in the morning.

Now EVERYTHING can fly!

Not to mean anything i know AK does not own the LCCT.

Now EVERYTHING can fly!

Not to mean anything i know AK does not own the LCCT.

That's exactly the words I have in my mind when I read this. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Felt like I'm in Makro or something when I walked into LCCT for the first time. Hot and stuffy! Boarding during heavy down pour doesn't help the situation either even though provided with umbrella. :angry: But then, you get what you pay for. LCCT n AK does provide the opportunity for poor fella like me to travel a few times a year.

p/s : Harian Metro used the word atap instead of roof. :nea:

Hi all,

I'm going to ask OT question here, sorry. During few of my flights with AK from LCCT to BKI or KBR, i tried to snap some photos of AK's A320 during the march to the plane but was stopped by 'security personnel'. Is there a law against taking photos while on the apron of an airport? What make me mad is if it is a tourist (read Mat Salleh, Mata Biru/Hijau/Rambut Blonde), these personnel wont stop them from taking any pics. Anybody experienced this?

But since current LCCT is a temporary terminal so, won't have any hopes on any improvements.

How temporary is temporary? Are there plans to build a new LCCT? Sorry for the ignorance I I did not know that it was a temporary feature.

Hi all,

I'm going to ask OT question here, sorry. During few of my flights with AK from LCCT to BKI or KBR, i tried to snap some photos of AK's A320 during the march to the plane but was stopped by 'security personnel'. Is there a law against taking photos while on the apron of an airport? What make me mad is if it is a tourist (read Mat Salleh, Mata Biru/Hijau/Rambut Blonde), these personnel wont stop them from taking any pics. Anybody experienced this?

I have experienced the same, being asked not to shoot video at the apron. But I continued anyway with the camera at waist level and tape running :D Just a few minutes before, while disembarking, an AK A320 Captain allowed me to shoot video in the cockpit. How nice of him.

I think it is more for safety i.e. pax may be too engrossed taking pictures that they may not realise an oncoming vehicle or other hazards. Also service vehicles like fuel trucks and baggage trucks may have a hard time driving among photographers near the plane. A cabin crew did announce in one of my AK flights that photography is not allowed on the apron "by order of the authorities". Which authority I don't know. May be AK or MAHB, or both.

You are one lucky fella Abg Naim!

The last time I flew on AK, I was delayed 2 3/4 hours at Terminal 2 BKI. As a result, I missed my connection to KBR.

20 November 2006

10.30 Checked in at Terminal 2 BKI

11.00 Breakfast at Tg Aru

11.45 Proceeded to Arrival Hall

12.00 Received SMS from AK. Flight 'retimed' (ahh such politically correct alternative to 'delayed') from 1230 to 1445. Gasped. Did some mental calculations.

12.05 Received another SMS. Went to pee.

14.45 Was the last pax to board - if I could wait before, why rush now

15.00 Finally took off

17.20 Arrived at LCCT

17.30 Retrieved luggage

17.35 Boarded the green Nilai bus to MTB. Felling agitated now.

17.45 Bus finally left

18.00 Arrived at MTB

18.07 Reached Island B Check-in counters. Check-in denied on 1820 MH flight to KBR.

18.08 Left feeling very, very down. Swore AK a little.

18.15 Down at MH tichet office. Paid RM75 no-show penalty and RM120 for an upgrade to C class on 1030 MH1426 as Y is full.

I thought I was sensible enough to have planned:

BKI 1230 -> KLIA(LCCT) 1500 -> KLIA(MTB) 1530 - then have ample time to relax until the 1820 flight to KBR. I had a maximum delay allowance of 2 hours in mind.

But it all went wrong anyway.

Is my post off topic? :huh:

Can we open a new pinned thread called "Delays and Other Unfortunate Events"?

If the future better stick to either MH or AK all the way because if either one screw up, well you know what's gonna happend -- money down to drain.