MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Imran K.

RMAF to acquire 8 Italian Jets

Source: MalaysiaKini.com

Gov't to buy for 8 Italian jets for RM410m

Nov 22, 06 6:36pm

Malaysia today inked a deal to buy eight Alenia Aermacchi MB 339CM jet trainer aircraft for RM410 million (US$114 million), a deal which should also provide new landing rights for national carrier Malaysia Airlines in Italy.

Malaysia's defence ministry said the aircraft will be used to train pilots who will subsequently fly US-made F/A-18D aircraft and Russian Sukhoi 30s.

It said the aircraft will be delivered in stages from February 2008.

The purchase will also speed up Malaysia's request for additonal landing rights for MAS to Rome and Milan in Italy, a statement said.

Great News for RMAF..

Air Force seems to be growing day by day..

Italiano mafiosi tactics :rofl:

hmmm MB339Pan's are quite old technology aircrafts!Why RMAF choosed them? I'm sure they can be more selectible about jet basic trainier aircrafts.

if Malaysian Air Force using US made F/A 18 and Russian made Su-30, must be carefull about make choosing. Actually this situation is very hard for an airforce to be use two different source military fighters. They have really difference technology for about standardisation.

May be Malaysia needs to produce their own fighters, Mas don't really need to use Fighters, I doubt anyone want to seek any problem with Malaysia. I heard that Singaporean AF is superior than RMAF? :blink: Well, if you guys can recall back that FCO is one of MH European backbone-which they looking forward to increase frequency, so this buy/sell between Malaysia and Italy come with Landing right package :lol: Anyway, congrat for the new jets deal, when Malaysia going to buy tanker :pardon:

Edited by Seth K

May be Malaysia needs to produce their own fighters, Mas don't really need to use Fighters, I doubt anyone want to seek any problem with Malaysia. I heard that Singaporean AF is superior than RMAF? :blink: Well, if you guys can recall back that FCO is one of MH European backbone-which they looking forward to increase frequency, so this buy/sell between Malaysia and Italy come with Landing right package :lol: Anyway, congrat for the new jets deal, when Malaysia going to buy tanker :pardon:

RMAF Have MiG-29, FA/18D, and soon the SU-30MKM.. A very good force. Our airforce guys rate quite highly too! They have performed very well in the numerous defence exercises conducted on an annual basis. The Hawk 108/208s and Aermacchis are used for training purposes - the latter solely for training. But I believe they are second hand equipment?? even possibly the 8 "new" orders acquired that is the subject of this thread. In terms of attack helicopter, Malaysia were supposed to get the South African Rooivalk a few years ago, but the 1997 currency crisis put a hold to that particular purchase. The RMAF and MinDef are STILL negotiationg for FA-18E/F multi-role fighters, and atm are being held back by the US congress who wish only to permit a sale of 8 aircraft, rather than the intended 18. Boeing is really wanting to make the sale of course for 18 birds!

Singapore airforce does have a formidable force - the F-15, F-16 and some older F-5s (I don't know if they are still in service or not) and not to mention an attack helicopter fleet of Apache AH64s! Theire pilots are very well trained too! Esp. out in the Arizona desert!

All in all, the airforces are quite balanced, but Singapore has higher numbers I think.

On the tanker question, the RMAF converted (via Airod) a couple of C-130 hercs into aerial tankers years back and presently use them. My understanding however, it that the MiGs and Hornets need to really fly slow and the Herc needs to fly as fast as it can during the refuelling process :D hehehe

In terms of AWACS, I think that is where you'll see RMAF money spent next. We don't have that capability at present - Singapore does with their F-50s and I think even a EC135 or two. RMAF is looking at the 737-700 wedgetail (which is having problems at the moment - see news from the RAAF), and the Embraer which was paraded at LIMA last year. I hope they go for the Boeing Wedge-tail as it would be easier to integrate into the fleet what with having M53-01 in the VIP fleet already (The former MAStar 737-700BBJ). If they ever bought a refueler, the Airbus A330 MRTT would be nice - we have the expertise in the nation for that aircraft already and it is superior to the 767 IMHO. Anyone care to share any further details?

RMAF Have MiG-29, FA/18D, and soon the SU-30MKM.. A very good force. Our airforce guys rate quite highly too! They have performed very well in the numerous defence exercises conducted on an annual basis. The Hawk 108/208s and Aermacchis are used for training purposes - the latter solely for training. But I believe they are second hand equipment?? even possibly the 8 "new" orders acquired that is the subject of this thread. In terms of attack helicopter, Malaysia were supposed to get the South African Rooivalk a few years ago, but the 1997 currency crisis put a hold to that particular purchase. The RMAF and MinDef are STILL negotiationg for FA-18E/F multi-role fighters, and atm are being held back by the US congress who wish only to permit a sale of 8 aircraft, rather than the intended 18. Boeing is really wanting to make the sale of course for 18 birds!

Singapore airforce does have a formidable force - the F-15, F-16 and some older F-5s (I don't know if they are still in service or not) and not to mention an attack helicopter fleet of Apache AH64s! Theire pilots are very well trained too! Esp. out in the Arizona desert!

All in all, the airforces are quite balanced, but Singapore has higher numbers I think.

On the tanker question, the RMAF converted (via Airod) a couple of C-130 hercs into aerial tankers years back and presently use them. My understanding however, it that the MiGs and Hornets need to really fly slow and the Herc needs to fly as fast as it can during the refuelling process :D hehehe

In terms of AWACS, I think that is where you'll see RMAF money spent next. We don't have that capability at present - Singapore does with their F-50s and I think even a EC135 or two. RMAF is looking at the 737-700 wedgetail (which is having problems at the moment - see news from the RAAF), and the Embraer which was paraded at LIMA last year. I hope they go for the Boeing Wedge-tail as it would be easier to integrate into the fleet what with having M53-01 in the VIP fleet already (The former MAStar 737-700BBJ). If they ever bought a refueler, the Airbus A330 MRTT would be nice - we have the expertise in the nation for that aircraft already and it is superior to the 767 IMHO. Anyone care to share any further details?

Wow, excellence explanation by Sandeep. May I add a few.

If I remember correctly, the former RMAF chief mentioned before his retirement that RMAF need to train more fighter jet pilots due to shortage because many of the experienced pilots migrated to the private sector for better pay and wages. Hence the need for additional fighter trainer, complemented by the purchase of addtional PC7 turboprop trainers as well. What the government need to do is raise the pay scale for the pilots to lessen the number of migration, especially amongst its more experienced pilots.

As for refueling tankers, RMAF have also purchase 4 Airbus A400 which also comes with an option to quickly convert it into air refueling tankers, and I believe the A400 is faster that the current C130.

Although Sandeep is hoping the government will go for the B737-700 Wedgetail, I believe the government will eventually go for the Embraer. This will be a political decision nonetheless. A purchase of the Embraer will strenghten Malaysia's ties with the South American nation, which is a fellow NAM member and a fellow developing country.

As for refueling tankers, RMAF have also purchase 4 Airbus A400 which also comes with an option to quickly convert it into air refueling tankers, and I believe the A400 is faster that the current C130.

Although Sandeep is hoping the government will go for the B737-700 Wedgetail, I believe the government will eventually go for the Embraer. This will be a political decision nonetheless. A purchase of the Embraer will strenghten Malaysia's ties with the South American nation, which is a fellow NAM member and a fellow developing country.

Thanks Fitri,

Yeah I forgot about those A400s! But that programme might face delays now too.. apparently they will be able to sort out similar problems faced by the A380 in the A400 programme.

Yes, the Embraer looks to be the choice for the TUDM, and with Embraers recent "publicity flaunting" in Malaysia, it would be after much hard work by the brazilians. The Embraer is a very sleek and beautiful bird though, and most importantly, very sophisticated! :D

Actually, the Hawks and older Aermacchis were brought new....the 'A' varient Aermacchis were brought in around 83' to replace the old Tebuan jet/light attack trainer......

...The Hawks were ordered in the early nineties after a plan to purchase Panavia Tornadoes fell through and a new combat aircraft was also required to replace the crash prone ,ex-US Navy Skyhawks ....

The new Aermachis would replace the older 'A' varient which needs urgent replacement as they have very high flying hours ( some have been retired).....without the new trainers, the Air Force would have trouble training new pilots...

my two cents.... :)

Sign in to follow this