MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Raj

Thai Airways 777-200ER

Lovely livery on an even more beautiful aircraft!

Still feel a bit icky about that SIA 773ER in the background though.....

The TAAG Angola 772ER at the back looks incredible in TAAG new livery. Can't wait to see their 737-700. too bad the 732 and 743 will be out of their fleet.

at last they found the right plane to fly...

777-200ER is a master of long haul, medium capacity plane...

why not the -200LR <_>

So all Thai's previous 777-200 were all non-ERs?

U r correct SV...........awesome livery, looks like the 772 non ER, wonder how to compare them :rolleyes:

Congrat on Boeing and TG for this beast purchase, can't wait to see the 77W on TG livery too :yahoo:

hehehe actually, I believe it would be the engines.. but you'd have to read the serial numbers.. better yet, check the rego and cross check it on rzjets.net :)

U r correct SV...........awesome livery, looks like the 772 non ER, wonder how to compare them

Congrat on Boeing and TG for this beast purchase, can't wait to see the 77W on TG livery too

Hang on, Seth, have they ordered the 77W as well??? If so, wouldn't that go into conflict with their A340-600?

Hang on, Seth, have they ordered the 77W as well??? If so, wouldn't that go into conflict with their A340-600?

maybe they're doing an SIA.. direct performance comparison, and later opt for the better model :) he he he

maybe they're doing an SIA.. direct performance comparison, and later opt for the better model he he he

SIA has the A345 (772LR competitor) but not the A346 (773ER competitor). :)

Thai has both though.

Edited by S V Choong

SIA has the A345 (772LR competitor) but not the A346 (773ER competitor). :)

Thai has both though.

Thai operate 346 and SIA operate 77W, then exchange information about their performance i suppose? :D

Thai operate 346 and SIA operate 77W, then exchange information about their performance i suppose? :D

What for they ask TG? :drinks: they just ask their boys over at VS! :D :good: But I dun think SIA was ever interested in the A346, particularly after VS somewhat "bad" experience with them..

What for they ask TG? :drinks: they just ask their boys over at VS! :D :good: But I dun think SIA was ever interested in the A346, particularly after VS somewhat "bad" experience with them..

So SIA don't want the A346 because its holding partner, VS already has it? :huh: :huh:

So SIA don't want the A346 because its holding partner, VS already has it? :huh: :huh:

hehehe bro, i'm just speculating. The A346 hasn't lived up to expectations with the airlines - hence the very low number of orders for the type.. VS did order some more though, so they can't be all too sad about them.. There are a total of 114 A346s on order with 65 delivered and in operation :) VS has 20 on order with 16 delivered and in operation :) That is however against Boeings 773ER order book for 212 aircraft (57 delivered and in operation and 155 remaining) and 16 customers! The A346 has a total of 15 customers, however, I believe Emirates temporarily shelved delivery for their 18 A346s - and then they ordered 28 773ERs on 19-Jul-04, with 3 delivered from 15-Feb-06 and 25 unfilled orders remaining. Emirates is an interesting story as they recently have rejected converting their existing unfilled A346 order to the A380 citing production delays with the latter... see here for more detail.. so looks like they will push ahead with the A346 now to fill the capacity shortage they face as a result of the A380 delay.

The problems they had were early in the aircrafts life - IIRC problem with the fuel system sensors.. but Boeing 773ER gives better economies.. dun forget, it is a 2 engine vs. 4 engine aircraft :D so operational will tend to get less with fewer engines (engines are about 33% the cost of an airplane) and similarly I think that comonent of cost in operational terms too.

Edited by Sandeep G

A346 vs. B773ER: Good competition :rofl: ; but the problem is, who's winning? :huh:

A346 vs. B773ER: Good competition :rofl: ; but the problem is, who's winning? :huh:

Boeing. hands down. see above.

Edited by Sandeep G

If SIA gets the 773ER as a 744 replacement, they might have to apply for ETOPS for trans-oceanic routes (eg, TPE-SFO, FRA-JFK). Wonder what is the implication for this move.

CX is not happy with the A346 they leased in according to all the "experts" at A.net.

TG had to buy the A345 and 346 because I think they are significantly cheaper and they could pay it off by selling shrimps to Europe.

If SIA gets the 773ER as a 744 replacement, they might have to apply for ETOPS for trans-oceanic routes (eg, TPE-SFO, FRA-JFK). Wonder what is the implication for this move.

IIRC, Boeing very early on in the 777 development programme decided that ALL 777 models would be 180 min ETOPS certified from Day 1 of operating service. This was the brainchild of Phil Condit, Alan Mullaly, Ron Ostrowski and the remaining 777 development team. This is as oppose to for e.g. the 767 which after a few years of service PROVED itself ETOPS 180 worthy.. actually it progressively graduated from ETOPS 60 - ETOPS 120 - ETOPS 180 in about 3 years I think. So the 777 underwent a rigorous flight testing programme which crammed in all the tests needed to obtain ETOPS 180. This involved Boeing test pilots (including the lovely Capt. Suzanna Darcy), airline pilots from CX, UA and BA and a host of other airlines as well.

There was plenty of scepticism from the airlines and the general public about flying trans-pacific or trans-atlantic with twin engines, and many dubbed ETOPS - Engines Turn or Passengers Swim! Boeing stuck to its guns, and the 777 was ETOPS 180 min certified for all airlines that chose the model.. of course, those airlines would clarify the ETOPS against their own SOPs and what not.. but I don't think SIA will have any problems in this regard.

So I think, the ETOPS fo SQs 773ERs is pretty much sorted. Hence why they can be introduced so cost effectively into SQs fleet.

Thanks for the explanation Sandeep. Yeah looks like the 777 is really a worthy plane to have in the fleet. Booo to Airbus A340 :p

hehehe not at all, buddy :)

I just remembered too, dun forget our good buddy LeeCH is hopping across the pacific pond to LAX every noew and again with the 772ER :)

I just remembered too, dun forget our good buddy LeeCH is hopping across the pacific pond to LAX every noew and again with the 772ER

TK too.... ARN-EWR... before that DXB-EWR

Even the 773 is able to fly across the Indian Ocean from SIN-JNB

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1028767/L/

Edited by S V Choong

Sign in to follow this