MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

Singapore Airlines unveils a new era of air travel

The order for nine A380s comes on top of a firm order of 10 aircraft signed last year by the airline.

They're not going to cancel entirely though. :)

It would be a huge stepback for Airbus though.. they were very happy with SQs additional order fo 9 birds - it brought about confidence in the project.

But with SQ loading their birds with this kind of product, I think they will somewhat offset the A380 delay in terms of attention diversion.. They will surely seek to fill capacity with leased planes or new orders at rival manufacturers to make ends meet... hopefully, their capacity problem will not plague them for too much longer.

I'm sure the "social obligation" applies to only the airline and not universities. Or am I wrong in saying that ?

To me, it is a form of social obligation in different context.

Allright! Me going on biz trip to Oz next March... ZRH-SIN-SYD return. Looking good :yahoo:

But 1-2-1 seating? How to get award ticket for wife and sit next to her and still get the window seat? Not possible anymore :rofl:

Then again... getting award ticket on SQ is impossible. Actually, SQ is so good, I think probably too good for their own good. Crowded lounges... difficult to get tickets... now they want to increase their prices? Maybe I will fly MH after all. Even though MH is way too late with redefining the experience... and still having flat-at-angle even though they increase leg room termendously...

SQ is getting a bit to elitist for me...

Yes I'd say ZRH-SIN will be 77W by March. Enjoy! :)

But 1-2-1 seating? How to get award ticket for wife and sit next to her and still get the window seat? Not possible anymore :rofl:

You might want to block off award seating on ZRH-SIN before it's no longer possible to do so on M+M miles. According to a poster on another forum, O and I inventory (what *A awards book into) have been blocked off on the CDG flights. With ZRH being sent the 77W right after CDG, hurry! I've no idea how we're going to secure 77W award seats in biz or F using M+M since only Krisflyer members can book into the non-discounted mileage award on SQ. :(

Then again... getting award ticket on SQ is impossible. Actually, SQ is so good, I think probably too good for their own good. Crowded lounges... difficult to get tickets... now they want to increase their prices?

Ah well, basic 'supply-demand' rule of economics. ;)

Hopefully the lounge crowding will ease up when they build extra huge *A lounges.

Edited by Keith T

List of 77W cities is actually slightly more comprehensive than I thought, due to the nature of aircraft utilisation... ;)

Stay tuned for an official announcement in a few hours of the exact dates for the first 3 routes which will see the 77W. :D

Folks,

I have been away for about two weeks on duty all over the globe on long patterns and have not log on for a while. Good to see such a great debate coming out of the 777W product offerings. My take on the new products? For once I think I will not mind travelling Y Class on 777W. Looks so good! Would have joined KC on the product launch on the 18th but I just returned back to HAZY Singapore last nite. Great shots there KC!

Like I have said before, CDG and ZRH will come before end of Dec 06. Now I am eagerly awaiting for my Dec roster to come by. Hopefully early next week. And then we will all get to see the flight deck of 777W.

Azman, fly SQ please. Then provide a trip report for the guys here. If you do so, please let me know of the dates in advance so I can plan to ferry you to or from SIN to ZRH.

Keith, me no idea when it is going to MEL just yet, bu it wont be too long. Will update if I know of anything. Oh by the way, no MEL on my roster yet. Have not been to MEL for three years already.

Mmmm, wouldn't it be interesting if the first 4 destinations were as follows...:

1) CDG

2) HKG (SQ861/862)

3) MXP

4) BCN

;) ;)

Oh and just thinking out loud, they might all commence before Dec too. ;)

Edited by Keith T

Mmmm, wouldn't it be interesting if the first 4 destinations were as follows...:

1) CDG

2) HKG (SQ861/862)

3) MXP

4) BCN

;) ;)

Oh and just thinking out loud, they might all commence before Dec too. ;)

Whoops I meant by early Dec. :)

holy moly...MH just got blown out of the sky..

we are years behind...and i doubt we will ever catch up with them, as u guys have been discussing.

nice pictures.... MH has no bloody drive, ambition or innovation. They don't even want to compete with SQ anymore. "Oh yeah, we don't have much of a market - we will rebrand ourselves as a leisure airline. "

we certainly have a bit more of an advantage compared to SIN (25 million vs 4 million). Okay - maybe KUL not a big financial hub as compared to SIN - but come on guys, get a grip. fight for the business market - like EK did. lets not go into how they managed to get so big so fast... if you still want to remain a leisure airline - go LCC like Aer lingus. You are not gonna make money like SQ, or even TG.

THe last time i heard similar statements - in the 60s/70s when our leaders said that we are a small country and should only concentrate on agriculture and mining. what did singapore do??? they had jack all natural resources - and made themselves into a huge industrial, financial and tourist destination.

of course, its easier to say than do, and I know that early Malaysia had a huge obstacle to climb, especially with regards to race relations, communist insurgency etc etc.

Stop following and be a leader for a change.

route rationalisation and restructuring will not help at all because the main cause of the problem is not sorted out - that is the high number of managers/directors who suck in all the money but have no forward vision or drive to see MH succeed. This is the same with KLIA as well - they are just unable to learn from things around them as they never open their eyes wide enough.

Sorry - just had to let this rant out.. :)

Edited by Izanee

MAS won't be able to compete with SIA anymore for many more years to come. Their dream to attract high-yield First/Club Class has just broken. But it's not the end of the day, yet. It's obvious that SIA has chosen the BA's path. Well, MAS can just go the other way round. If MAS can't be the BA of Asia, they still can be the AF or LH of Asia :)

we are years behind...and i doubt we will ever catch up with them, as u guys have been discussing.

nice pictures.... MH has no bloody drive, ambition or innovation. They don't even want to compete with SQ anymore. "Oh yeah, we don't have much of a market - we will rebrand ourselves as a leisure airline. "

we certainly have a bit more of an advantage compared to SIN (25 million vs 4 million). Okay - maybe KUL not a big financial hub as compared to SIN - but come on guys, get a grip. fight for the business market - like EK did. lets not go into how they managed to get so big so fast... if you still want to remain a leisure airline - go LCC like Aer lingus. You are not gonna make money like SQ, or even TG.

THe last time i heard similar statements - in the 60s/70s when our leaders said that we are a small country and should only concentrate on agriculture and mining. what did singapore do??? they had jack all natural resources - and made themselves into a huge industrial, financial and tourist destination.

of course, its easier to say than do, and I know that early Malaysia had a huge obstacle to climb, especially with regards to race relations, communist insurgency etc etc.

route rationalisation and restructuring will not help at all because the main cause of the problem is not sorted out - that is the high number of managers/directors who suck in all the money but have no forward vision or drive to see MH succeed. This is the same with KLIA as well - they are just unable to learn from things around them as they never open their eyes wide enough.

Sorry - just had to let this rant out..

Izanee, I just couldn't agree more! Well said.......

As for MAS, J J Ong should be the head instead. :) If you follow what I mean.

Edited by S V Choong

When SQ333 returns to SIN early in the morning at 0700hrs, it has a whole day before it departs to CDG again . . . same for ZRH flight. So the B773ER has just got to go somewhere nearer to earn its keep.

HKG seems like the perfect market - both in term of market mix and sector length.

Let's wait and see . . . my gut feeling tells me that HKG will be an early receipient of the B773ER.

KC Sim

When SQ333 returns to SIN early in the morning at 0700hrs, it has a whole day before it departs to CDG again . . . same for ZRH flight. So the B773ER has just got to go somewhere nearer to earn its keep.

HKG seems like the perfect market - both in term of market mix and sector length.

Let's wait and see . . . my gut feeling tells me that HKG will be an early receipient of the B773ER.

KC Sim

Your gut feeling might just be right. :D

CRS has just been updated.

First destinations and commencement dates are - CDG (5th Dec), HKG (6th Dec, SQ861/862), MXP/BCN (11th dec).

Boy I wonder how I managed to guess in post 83. ;)

I wonder why ZRH didn't join the list. Perhaps it's due to the nature of a/c utilisation and they want to make sure they have sufficient frames for all the routes?

Edited by Keith T

Sorry - just had to let this rant out.. :)

You can’t drop the spots on leopard. As long as the Government is having a narrow minded policy, don’t expect much or any improvement from either MH or MAB.

However, from time to time you will hear some campaign ‘transformation’, ’rationalization’, ‘revolution’, etc but don’t expect them to carry through.

The last campaign was the upgrade of business class, after spending so much money on the seats, mood lighting, advertisement, etc but neglected to revamp the schedule; the most important criteria for business traveler to choose which airline to take. Hence, MH failed to attract the projected number of premium pax.

And now MH is claiming to target leisure traveler. But EY pax have been neglecting by MH for many years. Wondering what campaign they are going to launch soon, may be coincident with VMY 2007.

At the moment, the only one thing MH can be proud of is the cabin crews. Just hope they won’t ruin them.

Just my 2 cents :drinks:

thanks guys....its something i needed to get off my chest. Been hoping for miracles from MH - just when they seem to be doing great - they get a setback. I just noticed that SQ last did a revamp about 1997 (MH is ten years behind i guess - and still offering an inferior product).

MH cabin crew are still their best assets - there's no doubt about that. Like KK lee said - hope they don't ruin them ...

they've been through a lot already..

Additional destinations confirmed:

Jan - SIN-ZRH

Mar - SIN-ICN-SFO

May - SIN-FRA (SQ325/326 turnaround)

Yikes...MEL might have to wait till 2008. :(