MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

Singapore Airlines unveils a new era of air travel

One cannot but notice the differences in approach by MH and SQ

MH :

Look here, we're bleeding red ink cause it's everybody else's fault except ours, you can't expect us to remain flying with cost of fuel like it is now and we have to fly all these socially obligated domestic services for the locals too. So, we're going to jack up our prices, like it or not and if we don't make money this way, we'll find some way yet to squeeze blood from stones !

SQ :

Here are our new offerings - feel free to be pampered to your heart's content. We're confident you'll be so taken in by the subtle changes introduced, just so everything looks new and refreshed. In fact, we're so sure you can't wait to sample this new product, we will be attaching a premium, price wise, upon their introduction. More champagne ?!

OK OK, perhaps a bit lob sided but then it's just one person's observation ! :)

Apparently SQ has reduced their fuel surcharge. Can anyone confirm this ? Keith ?

Apparently SQ has reduced their fuel surcharge. Can anyone confirm this ? Keith ?

Yes indeed it has. :)

https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/cont...ase/NE_5506.jsp

* Between Singapore and gateways in South East Asia (ASEAN countries):

Reduce from USD20 to USD18 per sector

* Between Singapore and gateways in USA/Canada:

Reduce from USD90 to USD82 per sector

* For all other flights:

Reduce from USD60 toUSD54 per sector

Not a dramatic reduction, but still good news as usually the only way these things go is up. :)

Edited by Keith T

Keith is right about the difference between seat pitch and knee/leg-room.

The seat pitch may be the same at 31 inches . . . but due to the slimmer seats and reclining mechanism, there is actually a nett gain in leg room and knee room. You will certainly feel this when you sit in these new seat.

This morning when I had the opportunity to try it out, it certainly felt like there was more knee-room, more leg-room and certainly more space on both sides. The absence of the IFE box under the seat in front (now this box is slimmer and fit in between the seats instead) ensures that it is clear space under the seat all the time.

The more earthy tones - both in the fabric as well as in the seat structures makes for a more visually-calming effect. This coupled with mood lighting during the flight will further improve the experience throughout the long-haul flight.

I particularly like the improved economy class blanket and pillows . . . and especially the embroidered koala on the kid's blanket. A nice touch. And the service trays and cutlery is yet another visually pleasing hardware.

KC Sim

And the service trays and cutlery is yet another visually pleasing hardware.

Will the cutlery come wrapped with that nice navy blue napkin, like in the media release? As opposed to a plastic wrapper?

If so, it makes the economy service tray quite classy, almost the standard of old J. :)

Edited by Keith T

I particularly like the improved economy class blanket and pillows . . . and especially the embroidered koala on the kid's blanket. A nice touch. And the service trays and cutlery is yet another visually pleasing hardware.

KC Sim

Very nice Y products - meal offering looks awesome!

Keith is right about the difference between seat pitch and knee/leg-room.

The seat pitch may be the same at 31 inches . . . but due to the slimmer seats and reclining mechanism, there is actually a nett gain in leg room and knee room. You will certainly feel this when you sit in these new seat.

This morning when I had the opportunity to try it out, it certainly felt like there was more knee-room, more leg-room and certainly more space on both sides. The absence of the IFE box under the seat in front (now this box is slimmer and fit in between the seats instead) ensures that it is clear space under the seat all the time.

The more earthy tones - both in the fabric as well as in the seat structures makes for a more visually-calming effect. This coupled with mood lighting during the flight will further improve the experience throughout the long-haul flight.

KC Sim

This is some spectacular coverage KC, great pics and commentary! kudos!

The absence of the IFE box will really by a gain for tall individuals.... now, I have to sit on an angle to avoid that box... just out of interest, is it located in the overhead compartments now??

Looks like Boeing's marketing on the 777LR with Overhead Binless cabins has made an impresion on SQ! I wonder if one may draw similarities between Boeing and SQ on this point.

The reading light under the TV is SUPERB! no more irritating light from other pax who wish to read! And with the control on the seatback, you won't accidentally ping the crew or switch on your light on a red eye flight when you are trying to get comfortable :)

Selamat Pagi Sandeep: The IFE box is now a slim contraption that fits nicely between two seats (sort of in line with the legs between two seats). It does not intrude into the space where your feet goes . . . even for a kaki pendek (short-legged) creature like me, that box is a major frustration.

The evolution of the IFE box is just like the mobile phone . . . going from the monstrous brick-size to todays minis.

The removal of the overhead bins should give a very perceptible sense of spaciousness . . . very much like going into a building with high ceiling.

The light at the base of the LCD screen is apparently something that SIA together with its contractors have come up with . . . and this has been submitted for patent rights.

KC Sim

The removal of the overhead bins should give a very perceptible sense of spaciousness . . . very much like going into a building with high ceiling.

mmm, but it would also increase the A/C load. I suppose that is possible with marginal effect with the mighty GE90-115s though!

How about heat dissipation for the IFE box??? With the thinner seats as well, will the pax head be warmed by the LCD behind his head??

Edited by Sandeep G

With this kind of service just a couple of hundred kilometres away from KL

Things are not going to be looking good for MAS

Well SQ already is like the unofficial national carrier of Malaysia. Judging by the number of people flying from KUL and PEN to SIN to fly off to other destinations.

Well SQ already is like the unofficial national carrier of Malaysia. Judging by the number of people flying from KUL and PEN to SIN to fly off to other destinations.

sad, but so so true..... :help:

Beside that, a lot of Malaysian have the perception where SIA is better and more superior compared to MAS. Anyway MAS will still survived due to it's 'direct flight' advantage from KUL.

I think SQ is the unofficial national carrier of the whole South East Asia!

Its not only the airline, but on the whole, the gap between Malaysia and Singapore is widening. Singapore is progressing very far ahead of Malaysia in every aspects. Just look at the recent university rankings, NUS and NTU way far on the top amongst the world's elite universities, and Malaysian universities is going down down down.

Just thought that I would like to share my perspective from this side of the causeway.

I think there is also a very sizeable volume of people residing in Singapore (not just Singaporeans who make up about 3m people but the additional 1 million expatriates here) who travel to other parts of the world via MAS and KLIA.

They do so for a variety of reasons and these include:

- more attractive fares on MAS

- availability of seats to destinations where seats are hard to come by out of SIN

- or simply because some people enjoy the inflight service of MAS

Southeast Asian residents are fortunate to have the possibility to utilise a basket of airlines for their travels and are not bound by artificial restrictions or lack of choice to travel on their official flag carriers. While it is true that MAS' services from various key points in Malaysia to Singapore have contracted, it remains a very strong contender for medium- and long-haul travel out of Singapore.

I have personally travelled to Hong Kong and London using MAS and many of my friends have done so too.

Regarding university ranking, this is just one of a huge basket of measurements and in no way indicate whether one country is more progressive than another. There are certainly areas where each country excel and it would be grossly unfair to judge along a narrow band.

When MAS achieves the objectives of its Turnaround Plan and returns to profitability, it should also invest in a more sound management made up of technocrats who understand the aviation industry and are a step ahead of evolving travel trends. Every bitter pill swallowed takes time to work its way through the system and that which MAS has swallowed is no different.

Several years ago, one often hear only despair when discussing the prospects of KLIA . . . look at it now. It is welcoming such a large number of new airlines and that can only benefit the economy in general, the travel / tourism and hospitality sector in particular and even MAS' services throughout the region.

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

Unfortunately MH new premium products, with possibly some aircraft still to be retrofitted, are now looking out-of-date when compared with the new SQ offering. In fact, I was quite disappointed when MH launched its me-too so-called new premium products, which are actually a few years late. The so-called new F looks very much like the suites of QF, BA and SQ, launched years earlier. The so-called new C is largely a replica of what JAL had launched earlier. With the extended large leg-room, MH could have made the C-seats as real flatbeds but being MH, of course not. MH is very much a follower and lacks innovativeness - having spend some RM700-odd million (across a smaller fleet), one would expect something refreshing, not me-too-but-a-few-years-late products that are already looking tired. And this is even without talking about the ancient C cabin of the A333s.

In the end, MH can only compete on price, and of course, yields will not be as interesting.

But EK's "new" F in A345s can still hold its own against the new SQ F. Congrats to EK on that.

Edited by mushrif a

But EK's "new" F in A345s can still hold its own against the new SQ F. Congrats to EK on that.

Yeah I'd have to say I still like the idea of EK's private cabins.

It's privacy (EK) vs width (SQ). To each his/her own I guess.

But you'd have to wait for the A380 to see what the 'real' new SQ F is going to be like. ;)

Remember, they had 4 years of research, so it's going to be much more than a 'refreshed skysuite.'

Edited by Keith T

Yeah I'd have to say I still like the idea of EK's private cabins.

It's privacy (EK) vs width (SQ). To each his/her own I guess.

But you'd have to wait for the A380 to see what the 'real' new SQ F is going to be like. ;)

Remember, they had 4 years of research, so it's going to be much more than a 'refreshed skysuite.'

Same can be said with EK's A380. If they thought up the suites in 8 months, i wonder what RnD thought up for the A380!

Its not only the airline, but on the whole, the gap between Malaysia and Singapore is widening. Singapore is progressing very far ahead of Malaysia in every aspects. Just look at the recent university rankings, NUS and NTU way far on the top amongst the world's elite universities, and Malaysian universities is going down down down.

The "Kiasu" mentality is ensuring that Singapore and airlines staying on top. While those in the "boleh" land, or should I say "tak boleh" land seems to carry the "social obligation" mentality, well at least on the surface level, before anything else. :lol:

Edited by S V Choong

This is giving me the heebie jeebies:

From December '06, these products will be available on SIA's new B777-300ER services from Singapore to Paris and Switzerland and progressively on other routes.

They don't list the cities after CDG and ZRH anymore. So there could well be a change of plans. :( :(

LeeCH: Any updates? :D

Edited by Keith T

Both SQ and EK will have a bit more time now to refine their new offerings on the A380 ! :)

Just a thought, could these two be the real culprits for the crippling delay at Airbus ? It was mentioned that the wiring fiasco is caused by differing airlines specifying differing requirements. And if each airline is trying to outdo the others by offering something unique, go figure the engineering nightmare ! (I have enough trouble wiring up my telly, hi-fi, astro etc together !) :D

Looks like there is another reason to take SQ to CDG and not other airlines...

If there is any consolation to the Malaysian forum members, MH is very competitvely priced from Singapore, and I know of many people who choose to fly with MH.

The "Kiasu" mentality is ensuring that Singapore and airlines staying on top. While those in the "boleh" land, or should I say "tak boleh" land seems to carry the "social obligation" mentality, well at least on the surface level, before anything else. :lol:

I'm sure the "social obligation" applies to only the airline and not universities. Or am I wrong in saying that ?

WOW. ITS A KILLER!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping:

SQ never fails to surprise everyone. massive capital expenditure but they have massive passengers of all types to tap on.

Several years ago, one often hear only despair when discussing the prospects of KLIA . . . look at it now. It is welcoming such a large number of new airlines and that can only benefit the economy in general, the travel / tourism and hospitality sector in particular and even MAS' services throughout the region.

KC Sim

but KC, i dowan kuwait or cebu pacific. i wan united, british airways, qantas, air france. so how??? just kidding sir.... :p :D

Both SQ and EK will have a bit more time now to refine their new offerings on the A380 ! :)

Or it will not happen at all :o

Look at this:

October 18, 2006

Singapore Airlines could cancel an order for nine Airbus A380 superjumbos if there are excessive delays to its delivery, French newspapers reported on Wednesday.

"If the deliveries are too far away and take place at a moment during which we do not need them, we could indeed cancel them," said Bey Soo Khiang, senior executive vice president of the airline, was quoted as saying in La Tribune.

Airbus has not have given Singapore Airlines a precise schedule for all the deliveries, La Tribune said.

A Singapore Airlines spokesman said: "The comment quoted in the French media refers only to the option that exists in the Purchase Agreement to cancel deliveries that are delayed. There has been no decision to exercise any cancellation rights under the Agreement. We therefore can't rule any options in or out at this time, which is the position we have maintained since the delay was announced."

The order for nine A380s comes on top of a firm order of 10 aircraft signed last year by the airline.

Airbus has revealed a string of internal problems which have led it to delay the first deliveries of its superjumbo A380 aircraft.

(Reuters)

Or it will not happen at all :o

Look at this:

October 18, 2006

Singapore Airlines could cancel an order for nine Airbus A380 superjumbos if there are excessive delays to its delivery, French newspapers reported on Wednesday.

"If the deliveries are too far away and take place at a moment during which we do not need them, we could indeed cancel them," said Bey Soo Khiang, senior executive vice president of the airline, was quoted as saying in La Tribune.

Airbus has not have given Singapore Airlines a precise schedule for all the deliveries, La Tribune said.

A Singapore Airlines spokesman said: "The comment quoted in the French media refers only to the option that exists in the Purchase Agreement to cancel deliveries that are delayed. There has been no decision to exercise any cancellation rights under the Agreement. We therefore can't rule any options in or out at this time, which is the position we have maintained since the delay was announced."

The order for nine A380s comes on top of a firm order of 10 aircraft signed last year by the airline.

Airbus has revealed a string of internal problems which have led it to delay the first deliveries of its superjumbo A380 aircraft.

(Reuters)

Genius points, why order a good which you will not gonna get in decades!!! By then, there will be far superior aircrafts available, SQ don't want to stuck with late product by then. This has been proved by the new introduced seats, while SQ add more luxury into their metal, other airlines just started to use ancient product of awesome airline eg. SQ ;)