MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

Singapore Airlines unveils a new era of air travel

Very nice pics there, KC! :)

I'm so envious now - you were actually there at the launch?! :blink: :good:

Yep, MEL is indeed the Australian destination that the 77W will be deployed to, as confirmed by a statement on their website. Other cities include Seoul, San Francisco, Shanghai, Milan and Barcelona.

Edited by Keith T

OMG this is getting way too much! LOL It's about time they offered such especially for long haul flight...I now don't mind flying 17 hours or so! Even the economy class looks very like Business! yay

Thanks KC Sim for the photos...amazing!

And I don't think the first class should be called seats anymore, more like a lil ROOM!

Go Keith, I trust you will try it sooner or later :p

It's a matter of hitting bullseye......

I'd be able to check out the Y service if either SQ238 (MEL-SIN) or SQ227 (SIN-MEL) is operated by the 77W in Feb. :)

A trippie will be in order if I do indeed get the 77W on either service.

Given that they're getting 6 77Ws within the next 2 months, and they only need 1 for a daily to MEL (and it'd unlikely to be on the 217/218 rotation)....I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :D I believe 5 frames (2.5 each) are needed to operate daily services to CDG and ZRH? Anyone with more technical expertise on fleet deployment, please feel free to advise. :)

Otherwise the 77W should be in MEL and I'd know what service it's deployed on by the time I get around to planning the next mid-year trip. MEL-SIN-PVG return will be an affordable way to max out my time on those nice J seats. ;)

Edited by Keith T

Keith: Your chances are pretty good, considering that another 12 aircraft will be delivered in 2007 . . . so at least one or two more will probably join the fleet in Jan/Feb 2007.

Other points that come to mind :

First Class:

- All overhead baggage bins removed to give more headroom and sense of space

- The table's height is adjustable and allows for meals-in-bed experiences

Business Class:

- The flat bed is 73" long

- Centre overhead stowage bins removed

- Table height adjustable for in-bed dining

Economy Class:

- There will be no IFE box under the seat that restricts legroom (a problem on most aircraft now)

KrisWorld will offer all passengers more than 1000 entertainment, learning (including learning a new language, how to start a business, first date etc) and work options. Service delivery is another area where much attention is given . . . it looks like SIA has upped the ante in the quest for premium class business. BA is expected to launch its new product in about a month's time.

KC Sim

Now that's what I call luxury serivce :lol: . Thanks for the info and pictures KC :clapping: :drinks: .

Edited by Gavin Andrew David

Look at the size of that seat!!!! :o

Ohh my heavens.....I love those cutlery and plate sets and pillows......~~~~

*dies*

You guys in Aus, NZ and HK will be so lucky to catch her~~~

And poor MH and TG, still using the 6 years ago seat introduced by SIA, now theyhave made a big step to something extreme, congrat, will try one.....most definately!!! Great pixs guy, any plan for future TR for SIA new product here, anyone????

Edited by Seth K

Ermm, off topic Q, what is skysuite ??

SQ's name for its F seat on 744s and 77Ws.

Edited by Keith T

Andrew, if the message is too long and a lot of picture inside it, don't click reply of that post, just click ADD REPLY or FAST REPLY at the above and bottom of your screen..

Some of our member here have trouble with internet connection if it is have too many pics to load..

You guys in Aus, NZ and HK will be so lucky to catch her~~~

Alas NZ and HKG aren't likely to get the 77Ws.

Presently, the known destination cities are :

These products will be progressively made available on SIA's new B777-300ER services between Singapore and Paris, Milan and Barcelona, as well as selected flights to Korea, Melbourne, San Francisco and Shanghai.

That was a statement from SQ's website, which was later removed. So the list of destinations *could* change. I remember reading somewhere that MAN is supposed to get a daily 77W service next year. I believe the inclusion of Korea and San Francisco means that SQ15/16 SIN-ICN-SFO vv will be upgraded from a 772ER, and both dailies to SFO will now be 3 class flights. Same deal with SIN-MXP-BCN vv - not bad for a new route!

Edited by Keith T

That was a statement from SQ's website, which was later removed. So the list of destinations *could* change. I remember reading somewhere that MAN is supposed to get a daily 77W service next year. I believe the inclusion of Korea and San Francisco means that SQ15/16 SIN-ICN-SFO vv will be upgraded from a 772ER, and both dailies to SFO will now be 3 class flights. Same deal with SIN-MXP-BCN vv - not bad for a new route!

Will SQ send their new 773ER to LAX? (just out of curiousity) :mellow:

This is because I want to take a picture of SQ 773ER ;) .

Edited by Andrew Ong

Will SQ send their new 773ER to LAX? (just out of curiousity) :mellow:

This is because I want to take a picture of SQ 773ER ;) .

Haven't found anything about LAX so this is just academic. I honestly don't think LAX will get the 77W. LAX (via NRT) is always packed and therefore they just can't drop capacity on this route by 97 seats. It is particularly difficult to get seats on the LAX-NRT segment during peak periods. In fact SQ11/12 SIN-NRT-LAX vv is a prime candidate for the A380 after SYD and LHR (the same can also be said for SQ 1/2 SIN-HKG-SFO vv). Then there's SQ29/30 SIN-TPE-LAX - notoriously low yield TPE will not be able to justify the 77W, as SQ would be in competition with carriers like CI, BR, MH etc. I am not sure if the 77W has the range for the non-stop, but I don't think they're ready to put Y pax in a 32" config for 16 hours, considering the route currently features Executive Economy at 37". Then again the 1000 entertainment options on the new Krisworld could distract them sufficiently. ;)

Looking at the planned routes, they tend to be routes which will make a 3 class configuration viable but might not need 744/A380 capacity

But then again I might be wrong. Who knows. ;)

Edited by Keith T

Well then lucky you since you're in Melbourne haha. Be sure to document it if you are to take that F seat.

I still can't get over with that tablewares arrangement and the pillows...it's too comfy. I may never wanna leave the plane. :lol:

Well then lucky you since you're in Melbourne haha. Be sure to document it if you are to take that F seat.

I still can't get over with that tablewares arrangement and the pillows...it's too comfy. I may never wanna leave the plane. :lol:

For folks in NZ, MEL is just a short trans-tasman hop away. ;)

I sometimes feel that way with the current Spacebeds. I fear they might have to drag me out of the seats with the application of substantial physical force when I get to sample the new offerrings. :blink:

Edited by Keith T

B)-->

QUOTE(Kelvin B @ Oct 17 2006, 09:52 AM) 79227[/snapback]

all i can say is WOW..... if prices are competitive.... well, lets see how it goes... :).

Kelvin, next assignment at Paris, should take MH ride to SIN and onward with 77W on SQ biz or First!!!!! :yahoo:

And oh, it's 'Raffles Class' no longer. Simply plain old 'Business Class' now.

Official word is that 'Raffles Class' confuses passengers. But I think it's because the new CEO doesn't like names. I can understand the removal of names like 'Megatop' and 'Jubilee' as they just sound naff but evidently he has no clue about branding and the huge brand equity 'Raffles Class' has. What is the marketing department smoking?? I mean, we might as well replace 'Silver Kris Lounge' with 'Lounge', 'Singapore Girl' with 'flight attendant' or even 'Singapore Airlines' with 'Airline.' SQ fans who feel the same about this 'enhancement' should fire off angry emails to contacts provided. The SQ crew members on MW: your opinions please? ;)

Very stupid indeed :angry: <_>

We await to see what emirates has to offer, and even MAS to that effect.

I don't think we'll see anything new from EK for at least a few more years as they just introduced a new kind of J seat into their 77W. Yes, the one that SQ is phasing out now.

Well, oversize individuals will like this seat :) especially the Sumos! hahaha maybe SQ won the contract for transportation of Sumos worldwide and hence, the development of this seat! :pardon:

:D The new premium seats look like a normal single bed to me. People, no matter how big or small they are, will love it.

SIA is mad. A whopping 23" LCD for First Class! WTF?!

EY diamond zone is featuring 23" LCD in each seat also.

Economy Class:

- There will be no IFE box under the seat that restricts legroom (a problem on most aircraft now)

Then where are they going to place the stupid IFE box ? And thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful pictures :p :p

I think HKG will get it, may be later for SQ001 & SQ002. FRA will also get it, for the flight that continue to JFK everyday, 'cause by deploying this lower capacity plane, it can definately boost up the yield on that sector. Currently, SQ FRA/JFK is low yield in Y. You can get a return ticket in Y on SQ (FRA/JFK) for ONLY RM1780.00NETT now, it's dirt cheap.

I wondered if SQ is going to replace the current Spacebed with the new J product on their 772ER too ? Any idea ? And as SQ is phasing out the Spacebed on long-haul travels, will they introduce new regional products in the near future ? Probably introducing the Spacebed into the 772 & 773 that they use for intra-asia flights ?

Edited by Isaac

I think HKG will get it, may be later for SQ001 & SQ002. FRA will also get it, for the flight that continue to JFK everyday, 'cause by deploying this lower capacity plane, it can definately boost up the yield on that sector. Currently, SQ FRA/JFK is low yield in Y. You can get a return ticket in Y on SQ (FRA/JFK) for ONLY RM1780.00NETT now, it's dirt cheap.

I wondered if SQ is going to replace the current Spacebed with the new J product on their 772ER too ? Any idea ? And as SQ is phasing out the Spacebed on long-haul travels, will they introduce new regional products in the near future ? Probably introducing the Spacebed into the 772 & 773 that they use for intra-asia flights ?

SQ1/2 is also a very popular flight that's in need of increased capacity, not a decrease which the 77W will represent. It seems to be more of a candidate for the A380. Unless they want to charge pax a much higher fare to compensate for the decrease in capacity. :huh:

SQ25/26...probably. :) But I hear it's got quite good yields between SIN and FRA.

It's mentioned earlier that the exising fleet will not have the new product. Introducing Spacebeds into the existing regional aircraft is a nice idea, though it'd involve a costly refit. The drop in capacity might also be problematic for some of these routes. Some of these so called regional a/c are deployed to reasonably long haul destinations like KIX, DXB, BNE, MEL etc. I, for one, would love to see the other 2 MEL dailies come equipped with Spacebeds. :D More realistically though, SQ has ordered 787s to replace these regional a/c so we might see new regional products then.

Edited by Keith T

One cannot but notice the differences in approach by MH and SQ

MH :

Look here, we're bleeding red ink cause it's everybody else's fault except ours, you can't expect us to remain flying with cost of fuel like it is now and we have to fly all these socially obligated domestic services for the locals too. So, we're going to jack up our prices, like it or not and if we don't make money this way, we'll find some way yet to squeeze blood from stones !

SQ :

Here are our new offerings - feel free to be pampered to your heart's content. We're confident you'll be so taken in by the subtle changes introduced, just so everything looks new and refreshed. In fact, we're so sure you can't wait to sample this new product, we will be attaching a premium, price wise, upon their introduction. More champagne ?!

OK OK, perhaps a bit lob sided but then it's just one person's observation ! :)

Hmm can anyone able to tell what is the seat pitch in Y class? It is not mentioned in the SQ website, but someone from flyer talk mentioned it is only 32" :blink:

I always thought that SQ 77W and 380 will have 34" pitch in Y class :o

Hmm can anyone able to tell what is the seat pitch in Y class? It is not mentioned in the SQ website, but someone from flyer talk mentioned it is only 32" :blink:

The seatpitch in Y is indeed 32" as confirmed by another thread in a.net. The thread on FT (I assume you're referring to the one in the SQ forum) actually referenced the a.net thread. ;)

But notice that the Y seats are slim line seats like those on QF. The pitch is advertised on QF as 31" but in reality it's really about 33". So the actual pitch of the SQ seats should feel about 34" or so.

It's not clear whether the pitch will be the same on the A380 though.

Edited by Keith T