MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

MAS 747 @ Kai Tak

Amazing 'korner baring', alignment and then bamm... perfect touchdown.

One question, though. Why did the planes have to approach like that and do such a dramatic manoeuvre? I mean, why can't it approach from a straight line? Was it because of the hills?

Kai Tak for Ex Fighter pilot....nnaaahhhh :nea: he he he (joke)

i missed the days i use to fly there...very very VERY interesting airport.

Nice ..

I've seen an aviation video before where concorde lands on kai tak .. Jaw dropping moment man .. the AOA was very high indeed ..

Amazing indeed. .. :clapping: But im wondering, do they do the ILS app or the Visual app when they used to land at Kai Tak?And how to they maintain the glideslope when they are taking thaat 'korner baring'? Awesome and shows how good u have to be trained to be a pilot.. :)

Edited by Brennan Raj

Whoa, prefect alignment!

I agree :good: . Very skilled pilots really have the guts to fly to and from Kai Tak :o . A job well done to all pilots that flew to Kai Tak and especially TK :clapping: :drinks: .

Amazing indeed. .. :clapping: But im wondering, do they do the ILS app or the Visual app when they used to land at Kai Tak?And how to they maintain the glideslope when they are taking thaat 'korner baring'? Awesome and shows how good u have to be trained to be a pilot.. :)

They called it IGS approach .. But the korner baring is manual ..

I remember watching clip of an equally scary MH landing at Kai Tak as the KE one. Iirc, one of the engines actually smacked the runway too :blink:

For those who're wondering ..

IGS provides the ' proper ' glideslope up to the ' checkerboard ' turn to align with the runway .

From then on ... hope and pray

I've seen Kai Tak's old charts for STARS.. its shows exactly like ILS, but not allign with the runway,

so pilot must kona baring to allign manually..

Amazing, I remember seeing one photo where MAS 747 scrape the number 4 engine on Kai Tak runway, is it really bad? saw the right wing bent.

thanks for sharing the link... :) will the pax feel faint when they make the hard turn? <_ if no wrong long time ago i experienced that... but that too young... all remember is onboard phillipine airline from kota kinabalu and transit one night at manila capital of phillipine... before landing kai tak the aircraft guess very unstable... not sure unstable caused by hard turn or not... src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D">

thanks for sharing the link... :) will the pax feel faint when they make the hard turn? <_ if no wrong long time ago i experienced that... but that too young... all remember is onboard phillipine airline from kota kinabalu and transit one night at manila capital of phillipine... before landing kai tak the aircraft guess very unstable... not sure unstable caused by hard turn or not... src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D">

I experience a crosswind landing at TPE once, follow by a hard touch down. Some pax are panic, good thing that no one scream.

The day after that, I experience landing in thunder storm at IAH on board CO 735 from LAX, there's only 10 people on board. The pilot have to wait like 10 minutes in the air before can approach for landing because there's a 32kn wind blowing crossing the runway. During approaching, the plane is very unstable and shake like crazy to the left and right. We touchdown on the right landing gear and land safely. good thing they don't have to do TOGA.

I experience a crosswind landing at TPE once, follow by a hard touch down. Some pax are panic, good thing that no one scream.

The day after that, I experience landing in thunder storm at IAH on board CO 735 from LAX, there's only 10 people on board. The pilot have to wait like 10 minutes in the air before can approach for landing because there's a 32kn wind blowing crossing the runway. During approaching, the plane is very unstable and shake like crazy to the left and right. We touchdown on the right landing gear and land safely. good thing they don't have to do TOGA.

i experience once hard touch down only... during my short trip from Labuan to Kota Kinabalu, at night. btw, that time i onboard MAS. :angry: i heard some conversation from other pax said that the pilot did the hard touch down at Labuan from Kuala Lumpur also... :angry:

i experience once hard touch down only... during my short trip from Labuan to Kota Kinabalu, at night. btw, that time i onboard MAS. :angry: i heard some conversation from other pax said that the pilot did the hard touch down at Labuan from Kuala Lumpur also... :angry:

they did that on purpose? :huh:

they did that on purpose? :huh:

trainee maybe??? <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_pardon.gif" alt=":pardon:">

trainee maybe??? <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_pardon.gif" alt=":pardon:">

it happen sometimes :pardon:

Sign in to follow this