MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Robert

KL, Singapore keen on opening up budget air routes

From today's Star

What do you think? is this a good thing?

My view is that competition is good for the consumer and MH/SQ will either have to cut fares or pull out should the LCC's be allowed in.

Monday September 4, 2006

KL, Singapore keen on opening up budget air routes

News Update by The Star News Desk

PUTRAJAYA: Budget airlines such as AirAsia and Tiger Airways can expect the opening up of the air routes between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore soon.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said although the two governments were yet to make a decision on this matter, both he and his Singaporean counterpart Raymond Lim had agreed that further liberalisation would be beneficial for the countries.

“We had very frank talks on the possible opening up of the air routes, over the past two weeks.

“I have set up a committee to look into the pros and cons of allowing budget airlines to fly the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore route and I understand that the report will be ready in a few days’ time.

“It will have to be submitted to the Cabinet and given to our Singaporean counterparts. We both believe that further liberalisation will benefit us in terms of more tourism and trade,” he said after an-hour meeting with Lim at his office on Monday.

Lim said the Singapore Government fully support the idea of opening up the air routes.

ATW published this yesterday 05sep06:

AirAsia wants to operate up to 20 flights a day between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, CEO Tony Fernandes told reporters Monday after a meeting with Singapore Transport Minister Raymond Lim, who reportedly indicated that the Singapore government is ready to open the doors to Southeast Asia's fastest-growing LCC, which has been blocked from the route. Its JV partner Thai AirAsia operates four flights a day to SIN from Bangkok.

:good: :good: :good:

20 flights a day = more than 1 flight per hour !!!

Can make a sub company call AirAsia shuttle just like United shuttle and Delta shuttle services :drinks:

Edited by Seth K

i'm sure in the 80s/90s MH/SQ shuttle services amounted to around 20/day with MH 734/735/AB4 and SQ 310/757/747 before being cut back by the financial crisis..

if AK were to operate 20/day flights....MH/SQ will suffer....with MH taking most of the flak. what i dont want is SQ pulling out as it offers huge capacity with the 772 (might get silk air's 320 instead)...

tony is interested in the money and that's all...

Main aim of a profit-oriented business is always that... :good:

i'm sure in the 80s/90s MH/SQ shuttle services amounted to around 20/day with MH 734/735/AB4 and SQ 310/757/747 before being cut back by the financial crisis..

if AK were to operate 20/day flights....MH/SQ will suffer....with MH taking most of the flak. what i dont want is SQ pulling out as it offers huge capacity with the 772 (might get silk air's 320 instead)...

I think that's why AK has been earning hell lot of $$$... :good:

Maybe Idris Jala should put the same mind set.. :clapping:

Edited by LaWrEnZzz

SQ has a lot of connecting traffic ex-KUL to other destinations though.

With such high fuel price, if budget airlines really can survive?

Is that market really that big to feed these airlines?

I am a little bit wonder.

I do happy to see more and more budget airlines are going to be opened in the region, however,

if the airlines can't solve the above problems, there will have many incidents/ accidents cause of the quality og the aircrafts.

I am very worry about that. :(

Sneeze,

How does high fuel price and oversupplying of the airline service market cause accidents per se?

*wonders*

Sneeze,

How does high fuel price and oversupplying of the airline service market cause accidents per se?

*wonders*

Sorry for my lazy before.

It's time for me to explain more about my viewpoint.

Well, With the high fuel price, although the company can do some hedging in the financial market for the oil, or even charging the surcharges for the fuel. However, if the market is going to be oversupply, competition will sure be occured, airlines will hard to get profit from the passenger flights service. Then they may have to cut the cabin service cost, increase, but meet the law regulations, the work hours of crew members. At last, the maintenance cost may also be lowered down since the company would like to remain in the market. Also, aircrafts may use for very very long period of time under poor suituation, so......

if it is possible for accident(s) to be seen? :(

I don't know if my points will really the case, but I really don't want to see such things gotta happen :)

won't think that will really happen.

remember that the airlines has to meet a certain benchmark in maintenance set by the higher authority?

if in this case, i dont think planes will not be maintained properly as safety is always the first properly, perhaps it will happen if the benchmark set is just mediocre which i am not really sure due to my pea-sized knowledge.

Edited by Walter Sim

won't think that will really happen.

remember that the airlines has to meet a certain benchmark in maintenance set by the higher authority?

if in this case, i dont think planes would be not that properly maintained, perhaps if the benchmark set is just mediocre which i am not really sure due to my pea-sized knowledge.

First, I would like to say sorry to you all that I do have bias on the flight safety issue.

Maybe I am over stressed about that. However, I am not stubborn to keep on saying...............More budget air routes/ airlines will go more accident.

Walter, well, yes.

You have waken me up. There are benchmark system for aircrafts, even for the crews.

However, accidents are always unpredictable.

Remember the CI611 flight?

The B747 was checked before it "disintegrated" during the flight to HKG.

Edited by Sneeze Lam

However, accidents are always unpredictable.

Agreed, but not necessarily on LCC's only; even reputable airlines have had accidents, like Swissair, for instance (MD11 off the coast of Canada)...

Walter,

Excellent point there: it's all set-down by the CAA/FAA or whatever agency (IVW in the Netherlands)...as long as the maintenance company 'work' according their (CAA/FAA/IVW)rules, the airlines can save on maintenance costs by outsourcing that to 'low cost' countries, like PRC...

(recent D-checks on KLM's MD11's were done in Xian).

I know lot's of 'heavy' checks on US aircraft are done by FAA approved stations in Central-America for this reason...

I know lot's of 'heavy' checks on US aircraft are done by FAA approved stations in Central-America for this reason...

Some US aircrafts do checking in HKG's HAECO also, such as UPS, NW Cargo, Evergreen, Contiental

Some US aircrafts do checking in HKG's HAECO also, such as UPS, NW Cargo, Evergreen, Contiental

Same reason: lower labour-costs as compared to US ;)

no worries Sneeze! those are parts and parcels of learning anyways.

i have a question, is the safety benchmark for maintenance diffrent? i mean, maybe in Malaysia it might be lower in another country and is there such term that i'm using such as lower/higher benchmark or is there a special term for it?

SEPANG, Malaysia (AP) -- Singapore is ready to accept AirAsia's flights from Malaysia, a Singaporean minister said Tuesday, as the budget airline's chief urged the city-state to reduce charges levied by its low-cost terminal to attract more flights.

Looks confirmed to me :good: