MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
I. Wong

Fly Asian Xpress (FAX)

I'd expect the former MH pilots to be flying the Fokkers and Twin Otters?

Perhaps I could fly FAX's F-50s on my TWU-BKI trip during November 2006?

By the way, has AK begun to absorb any MAS' B734s?

Edited by S V Choong

I can think of at least three sub-categories of bird watching :

(1) us here spotting the metal varieties

(2) oggling at the feminine gender

(3) appreciating birds as God intended, with feathers !

:D

Yeah, it's getting way off topic !

From info available, FAX does not appear to be owned by AK. Interesting to find out who or which group is behind this. And those F50's and Twin Otters would likely be leased in from PMB ? And the rates as compared to what MH is currently paying ?

I got this from another forum, written by a friend who picked it up from THE BORNEO POST (Southern/Sarawak Edition), June 6th, 2006

New twist to air services will affect rural community

MIRI: It looks like the rural community will be denied of rural air services for quite a long time to come, following a new twist to the termination of Malaysia Airlines (MAS) services which are scheduled to be taken over by AirAsia by August 1, this year.

AirAsia recently announced plans to subcontract operations of the turbo prop services or rural air services to a new airline called Fly Asia Xpres (FAX).

Fax is in the process of obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals to commence operations on August 1 following domestic rationalisation and MAS withdrawal from these routes.

In tandem with the governments decision, AirAsia would transfer day to day operations of Fokker 50s and Twin Otter services to FAX, and monitor the performance of this new setup.

Meanwhile, the offer has been extended to current pilots of both Fokker 50 and Twin Otter to join the new rural service airline. But most pilots, particularly of Twin Otters, are reluctant to take up the offer due to the unattractive salary.

"We received the offer letter about a week ago. However, it is not as lucrative as before as the salary being offered to us is much lower than what we get from MAS," said a Twin Otter pilot who declined to be identified.

They are being offered RM6,000 for a captain while the co-pilot gets RM3,000.

There are around 40 registered pilots in Miri servicing rural flight services in the State, out of which 15 are foreigners.

"What's being offered to us is considered too small and it is even less worthwhile for foreign pilots as they can get more money in their own country. The amount does not commensurate with our service which involves a lot of risks," he added.

Accoding to this pilot, Malaysian pilots have the option of going to work in Kuala Lumpur while foreigners have no choice but to return to their own country should they reject the offer.

Their feedback was not encouraging as Malaysian pilots prefer to continue their services with MAS in Kuala Lumpur, leaving foreign pilots with no choice but to return to their own country.

Forseeing the possibility that many would reject the offe, the pilot said it would take some time for rural areas such as Bario, Ba Kelalan, Mukah and Mulu to get their air services.

The pilot said this was assuming that pilots for both Fokker 50 and Twin Otter in particular are not easy to find, and that it takes at least three to four months to train them to fly these routes.

"There will be a big impact if they cannot come up with any quick resolution soon. It will impact the tourism industry as most of the destinations serviced by these two flights are the assets of the industry," he said, hoping that the relavant authorities and the airlines concerned could come up with a solution as soon as possible.

:good: :drinks: :good:

RM6k for a captain - is that "a bit low" or "way too low" compared to MH? (I'm guessing the latter! :D)

The flight schedule have enormous number of typos. And plane can leave LHD at 1955?! Later the flight crew taxi on the grass at the runway and taxiway side. :lol:

Wow. Lots of Fokker 50 and DHT bases already.

BKI based in T2. :(

Edited by Adrian M

Oh no! No more F50 to spot in KCH :( :cray:

But in the route, got mentioned KCH-BTU on F50. Which one is correct? :huh:

The price of tickets seems to be similar to MH

Oh no! No more F50 to spot in KCH :( :cray:

Bro,What's the price for KCH-BTU on MH?

Hmm...lucky MH still operates F50 for SBW-KCH..although only 4 F50 remains.It's time for us and MH to bid farewell to the Twin Otters.

I'd expect the former MH pilots to be flying the Fokkers and Twin Otters?

Yup,you're right.As AK doesn't have pilots experienced in flying the F50s and Twin Otters,maybe TF considers former MH pilots.

Yup,you're right.As AK doesn't have pilots experienced in flying the F50s and Twin Otters,maybe TF considers former MH pilots.

And they're having problems with salaries and benefits etc - as posted by Radzi. Wonder if it's settled? :pardon:

Perhaps I could fly FAX's F-50s on my TWU-BKI trip during November 2006?

Yes, you can. There will be 3 flights a day with the AK code. 1 flight a day operated by AK itself using its 733 while the other 2 flights will be operated by FAX (AK code also).

By the way, has AK begun to absorb any MAS' B734s?

Haven't heard about plane transferring of late.

Edited by Isaac

Delwin,

They are; just checked the BKI-KUD one-way on MH and it's 50 Ringgit, similar to FAX fare as from 01aug06.

Luckily, they'll still operate the good ol' trusty DHT :yahoo:

Wonder if these planes will be re-painted to the new FAX colours soon ???

Delwin,

Yes, that is a bit confusing... I think this route has been 'upgraded' to B733 and will be operated by AirAsia, although looking at the frequency via AK website this route only has 2 flights per day from 01 Aug. Looks like intra state flights into and out of KCH will be reduced dramatically after the rationalisation. Sad to know that my hometown airport is being underutilised!

I wonder if Silkair will increase their flights to KCH after MAS stop flying to JB.... it will be good to see them flying daily :rolleyes:

Their fares are not cheaper than MH actually. What about the service? Any refreshment onboard?

Their fares definitely not cheap because I believe that all the while MAS is losing on its DHT ops . Correct me if i'm wrong ..

But I believe it is something that they have to provide , which is transport to the rural area's . Whatever it is , Gov. will support ,

But now what about AirAsia .

I cannot see BKI/MYY vv in their schedule - can it possibly be true ?!! :blink:

Plus, I believe the city pairing is non-trunk for MH.

I do hope this is an oversight due to having to rush the schedule out. Otherwise, it would be a major 'oversight' indeed !

Trying to search MH website but cannot find MH SBW-KCH flight apart from 2 B734 they announced week ago. Together with AK 2 B733, I can't believe there are only 4 B737 daily between KCH and SBW. FAX is also not flying SBW and KCH.

I can't believe there are only 4 B737 daily between KCH and SBW

Yeah, amazing! Imagine MAS currently has about 9 flights a day between KCH and SBW, 3 of which operated by F50 and the rest by B734.... this is more than 50% reduction in capacity! Similar situation on KCH-BTU and KCH-MYY too. The only 'good news' is they are still keeping KCH-MKM run at 10x weekly :pardon:

Edited by H C Chai

Me....Cabincrew Manager at Miri would be nice....too far away for me, however, to join the walk-in interview :angry:

HR and Safety for me, maybe. But like Pieter, too far from interview locations. :(

All systems go for FAX

BY ANTHONY LIM

PETALING JAYA: Come Tuesday, it will be business as usual for domestic flight operations in Sabah and Sarawak, despite Malaysia Airlines ceasing all flights within the two states.

New carrier Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) is set to take to the skies that day and introduce low-cost and promotional fares, with no disruptions to existing services.

“To ensure that the services will move along smoothly, we will be starting off on an almost as-is basis.

IPB Image

NEW AIRLINE: This is what the FAX livery will look like. The FAX aircraft will not display the airline’s livery at the start of flight operations but it will be done later.

“Effectively, the existing infrastructure from aircraft, crews and support services will be maintained, with the only initial difference being that there is a new operator, and that we will be operating from Terminal 2 where Kota Kinabalu is concerned,” FAX chief executive officer Raja Mohd Azmi Raja Razali said.

“Of course, that doesn’t mean that it’s going to stay that way. We will spend the first three months settling into operations, and then look at ways at improving efficiency and refining our network, as well as network expansion plans,” he added.

The new airline, borne as a result of the Government’s rationalisation of domestic routes, will service 26 destinations within Sabah and Sarawak. FAX received its air operator certificate from the Transport Ministry on July 27.

It will begin operations by having a total of 343 flights weekly. Among the destinations served are Kota Kinabalu, Lahad Datu, Sandakan, Tawau, Sibu, Bintulu, Miri, Mulu, Bario, Limbang, Labuan, Lawas, Marudi, Bakelalan, Mukah and Kudat.

FAX, a subsidiary of Tune Air – the holding company for AirAsia, will use seven Fokker 50 and five Twin Otter aircraft, leased directly from Penerbangan Nasional Berhad, to service the routes.

These are ex-MAS-operated aircraft, and due to the seamless transition in operations, the FAX aircraft will not display the airline’s livery at the start of flight operations, but only have it implemented in stages, according to Raja Mohd Azmi.

He added, however, that Aug 1 would see the cabin crew in the new airline’s uniforms.

Raja Mohd Azmi said ticket prices would be very competitive, similar to that of AirAsia’s.

“FAX will be introducing low-cost and promotional fares to entice more people to fly.”

In relation to the rationalisation exercise, AirAsia has also begun more flights within the two states.

On July 11, it introduced seven flights weekly from Kota Kinabalu-Tawau, and on July 25, it began a schedule of seven flights a week on three other routes, Kuching-Kota Kinabalu, Kuching-Miri and Kuching-Sibu.

Effective Aug 1, the number of flights in the Kuching-Sibu route will double to 14, while Sept 1 will see the Kuching-Kota Kinabalu route increase its weekly flights also to 14 and the opening of the Kota Kinabalu-Sandakan route, with seven flights a week.

As of July 31, there will also be the introduction of two non-trunk service routes, Kuala Lumpur-Sandakan and Kuala Lumpur-Tawau, both with 14 flights weekly.

The company said it would honour any existing Malaysia Airlines tickets bought for use after Tuesday for routes that MAS would no longer operate.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...4106&sec=nation

Only FAX tickets

PETALING JAYA: Those who had purchased MAS tickets for domestic travel in Sabah and Sarawak after Aug 1, will need to purchase new tickets to board Fly Asian Xpress (FAX), the new carrier said in a statement.

In a news report in Sunday Star entitled “All systems go for FAX,” the company had said that it would honour existing MAS tickets. However, FAX clarified yesterday it would not be doing so.

FAX said tickets could be easily purchased from its website www.flyasianxpress. com or www.airasia.com and all existing AirAsia airport and nationwide sales offices.

Customers may also call 03-87754000 from within Malaysia or 03-86604343 for calls from outside the country.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...0521&sec=nation