MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kee Hooi Yen

Airports in Malaysia

Thanks for the update, BC.

There goes 50% of our best spotting site gone...should we take this report seriously???

Edited by Adrian M

No problem folks, happy to share !

Tamizi,

It's Global Upline ! Agreed, the guy seems to be in one heck of a hurry doing everything !

Adrian,

When I first saw the map, I thought the Jln Selangor spot looks gone - then went into denial mode and switched off ! Now you have mentioned, it's registering again ! Euyucks !

Passed by T2 this afternoon - man, the place looks like a scene from post tsunami Banda Aceh. Over at T1, work is finally underway for the new building - the ex-seafood restaurant has finally been demolished

Adrian,

When I first saw the map, I thought the Jln Selangor spot looks gone - then went into denial mode and switched off ! Now you have mentioned, it's registering again ! Euyucks !

Passed by T2 this afternoon - man, the place looks like a scene from post tsunami Banda Aceh. Over at T1, work is finally underway for the new building - the ex-seafood restaurant has finally been demolished

Gawd, the started the work at T2 already?! That is fast! Post tsunami scene? They's chopped down all the trees?

Yeah denial... That make two of us....

Folks,

Second instalment of story here

Very obliging of paper to blow up the bit of interest (mtb) but the printing quality leaves a lot to be desired - apologies for blurry pic

Looks like five bays with double bridges (=10 gates) for the biggies and seven bays for 737/320 sized birds. Hence, total of 17 gates.

Not counting the one (or ones) for 'bridgeless' bays. My son was asking why they still need those bays if MH is to stop flying the prop's and the RAS supposed to be done by AK (hence at T2?)

Kee,

Do I see outline of a few 380's in the drawing ?! ;)

Interesting.... Docking Gates move from end of terminal to the most front part of theminal...interesting... hopefully can easily spot props there.

I went to our T2 spotting location and it does look like Banda Acheh after tsunami. Our shading tree also got chopped off. Took few pictures of it. And now waiting for Samuel to send it over to me.

Looks like our T2 spot is a goner. At least BC, ur telekom concrete spot is save. I must say it is a great spot for shooting planes coming in from rwy 20. I'm curious about Beach 3 fate.

It really starting to look a little like Kai Tak :)

I hope not - you remember the stench permeating aircraft after landing at the place ?!!

hope not - you remember the stench permeating aircraft after landing at the place ?!!

BC, u mean the place where the China Airlines B744 landed short of the runway?

Surely BKI is not anyway like that. Glad to see the expansion plan, perhaps that chunk of land behind where the current hangar is, is reserved for future expansion? It is more sensible than the plan for building a brand new airport at Beaufort (?)

It is more sensible than the plan for building a brand new airport at Beaufort (?)

It was Kimanis, not Beaufort :)

But upon completion, I reckon the spot opposite the railway station will provide a very attractive vantage point for us, the // taxiway might run quite close to perimeter :yahoo:

It was Kimanis, not Beaufort :)

That railway-station point will only be good when landing on 20, right ? Thanks a lot for the link, Bing Chu !!

Isaac,

The Kimanis site will not materialize ?

That railway-station point will only be good when landing on 20, right ? Thanks a lot for the link, Bing Chu !!

Isaac,

Looks like it won't, since this expansion had been approved and accepted by the Federal government. The Kimanis site was supposed to replace the current airport.

SV,

IIRC the China Airlines dropped of the runway at Kai Tak after it's ill fated landing roll - can't recall the official version of story. Anyway, a lot of people got wet and the bird had to be written off.

I think it was the stretch of near stagnant water in between the runway at Kai Tak and 'mainland' that contributed to the very offensive smell in the area, and when that gets sucked into the confined space of an aircraft, IT WAS REVOLTING ! This wasn't an isolated case though, have experienced it a few times over time period of a few years.

Luckily, here at BKI we have more of an 'open' layout as far as the sea is concerned, much less threat of stinko landings - hopefully !

Pieter,

I was thinking more of birds (especially the biggies) making their exit turn after landing roll at end of runway 02, or birds making their way to end of runway 20 in preparation for take off. BTW, they have already cleared the stretch of 'jungle' where the taxiway extension will be built. In fact, quite a few patches of 'jungle' have already been cleared all around the airport area - Adrian will testify to that I'm sure ! :)

SV,

IIRC the China Airlines dropped of the runway at Kai Tak after it's ill fated landing roll - can't recall the official version of story. Anyway, a lot of people got wet and the bird had to be written off.

I think it was the stretch of near stagnant water in between the runway at Kai Tak and 'mainland' that contributed to the very offensive smell in the area, and when that gets sucked into the confined space of an aircraft, IT WAS REVOLTING ! This wasn't an isolated case though, have experienced it a few times over time period of a few years.

Never really experienced the smell you are talking about although I have been to HK quite a few times before Kai Tak closed. I remember a lot of boats parked near the strip, perhaps it was the daily refuse by nature calls which contributed to the pollution of the near stagnant water? Anyway, that area was dirty... Another factor could be... the stormwater pipes (which collected much of the stormwater as well as the dirt from street) and discharge to near by area? That could also cause some smell. Just my rough guess.....

Anyway, interestingly, I have seen the CI 744 at Kai Tak around 1994 or 95 near HAECO's hangar at Kai Tak with a broken tail fin. Heard they had to use explosive to explode the tail so it makes easier to get the plane up on the ground again.

Is BKI the second busiest airport in M'sia ? or PEN ?

Some interesting stats from MAH website:

Passenger Vol. 2005

KLIA 23,200,000

KKIA 3,970,000

PEN 2,800,000

KCH 3,350,000

Langkawi 830,334

Sandakan 621,513

Tawau 680,901

Labuan 642,582

L Datu 116,973

Miri 1,590,000

Sibu 920,900

Bintulu 487,077

Alor Star 323,669

Kuantan 298,184

K Bahru 635,397

K Terengganu 419,475

Melaka 27,600

Ipoh 74,451

so PEN is not even 3rd.

cheers

Busy could means number of pax or number of movement.

Miri: Number of pax not much, but number of movement is either 2nd or 3rd.

Wonder how many passangers use Kudat in a year's time ?

(really nice little airport with extremely friendly staff)...

Isaac, BC, Adrian and Samuel you guys are on my list :)

My cellphone number is 016-8428004 :p

Isaac,

Yeah, it won't. That's good as Kimanis is so far away. Beside locals say Kimanis is a "dirty" place.

Edited by Isaac

Yeah, it won't. That's good as Kimanis is so far away. Beside locals say Kimanis is a "dirty" place.

Dirty as in full of spirits and ghosts?

In terms of hygenene, I would say Ranau is quite dirty..... Seems like time had stopped there!

with 1.6 million/year - miri seems to be in fifth place! how surprising...

never realised how important miri airport was!