MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Saving Airasia Group and Airasia X: Covid-19 Recovery Thread

11 hours ago, Craig said:

Miss the good 'ol MH 6 (FRA), 10 (VIE), 16 (AMS), 20 (CDG), 30 (IST), 94 (TPE-LAX), 98 (DXB-EWR), 201 (JNB-CPT-EZE), and 203 (JNB-CPT).

haha.. What about KUL-ARN-EWR? :D I used to take that sometimes when I was studying. Forgot the flight code

27 minutes ago, jani said:

haha.. What about KUL-ARN-EWR? :D I used to take that sometimes when I was studying. Forgot the flight code

My apologies. I think i have it wrong. I think it was:

MH90/91: KUL-DXB/ARN-EWR
MH92/93: KUL-NRT-LAX
MH94/95: KUL-TPE-LAX (MEX too?)
MH98/99: KUL-TPE-YVR

23 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Here is quick rundown on AirAsia X, Thai AirAsia X A330-300/900 previous and current fleet:

image.png

image.png

Cheers JW, the Air Asia group fleet movements are fascinating to watch from afar. 

D7 in particular have gone from having a solid consistent product to a mish mash of interiors and configurations. I watched a recent YouTube video and those ex PR birds, still have Phillipine Airlines logo on the FA display screen near L1! 

42 minutes ago, Tom/PER said:

D7 in particular have gone from having a solid consistent product to a mish mash of interiors and configurations. I watched a recent YouTube video and those ex PR birds, still have Phillipine Airlines logo on the FA display screen near L1! 

When D7 began, it was run by aviation professionals who listened to feedback from customers. Fleet planning was better and aircraft followed traditional aviation norms like having names. Unfortunately, doing all that is too costly for the LCC and irrational competition caused massive losses. The KO punch was Covid-19.

Nowadays, the bean counters are in charge and some credit has to be given to them for keeping D7 afloat. However, a heavy price was paid and D7 no longer has its original identity. Hopefully the higher fares they are charging now will help them recover their former glory.

Edited by flee

17 hours ago, Tom/PER said:

Cheers JW, the Air Asia group fleet movements are fascinating to watch from afar. 

I think we watched the same video. Yes, they have various interiors and configurations now, which complicates the inflight services and customer experience. Imagine you paid for Premium Economy but got yourself 9M-XBE all 367Y configuration and AirAsia X does not do refund for aircraft change due to operation reason.

AirAsia X doesn't have much choice unfortunately, to have a mashed-up fleet since some of their previous lessors took back their aircraft and lease them again to other airlines. Most of those repossessed airframes belong to BOC Aviation and ICBC Bank, who fought several tough court battles with AirAsia X during the pandemic. The fleet will now grow to 18, with the reassignment of MSN 1596 9M-VVA/ 9M-XXW. MSN 1596 and another three (MSN 654 9M-XXR, MSN 1048 9M-XXC and MSN 1066 9M-XXD) remain in storage until they are reactivated, leaving active operational fleet to 14. MSN 654 should be returning with new interior and new livery after its check in MNL.

Thai AirAsia X with eight A330-300 with six operational with both A330-900s remain in storage. 

58 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-11 at 10.28.01.jpeg

In other countries if an airline keeps suspending routes on short notice the aviation regulatory will limit the ability to apply routes and slot. Meanwhile in msia and murica u can cincai apply on the basis of testing new untapped market except with no gov support and tourism/economy marketing majority are going into kamikazi zone. Also applies to MAG and Batik Msia inconsistent handling on many new routes.

2 hours ago, jahur said:

In other countries if an airline keeps suspending routes on short notice the aviation regulatory will limit the ability to apply routes and slot. Meanwhile in msia and murica u can cincai apply on the basis of testing new untapped market except with no gov support and tourism/economy marketing majority are going into kamikazi zone. Also applies to MAG and Batik Msia inconsistent handling on many new routes.

I have no issue on this. As they need to test the route market. Some routes been forced by local gov eg Sibu-Singapore which Airasia willing to giv a chance for them to test the market, y not? 

The only route did not mention in the article is the KL Dalat route, the route din even revive but open for sale, I bought it but luckily Airasia willing to refund for me. I believe that is why Airasia did not mention the suspended route as it nvr revive... 

BKI <-> PEN is not in the list, i wonder why ...

Also, there is no flight between Kuching <-> Jakarta after March 2024... going to suspend also?

Edited by prosibu1

43 minutes ago, prosibu1 said:

I have no issue on this. As they need to test the route market. Some routes been forced by local gov eg Sibu-Singapore which Airasia willing to giv a chance for them to test the market, y not? 

The only route did not mention in the article is the KL Dalat route, the route din even revive but open for sale, I bought it but luckily Airasia willing to refund for me. I believe that is why Airasia did not mention the suspended route as it nvr revive... 

If the routes fail it is the passengers that bare the brunt. Rerouting with transit, rescheduling, those opting for refunds are looking at 2 weeks quickest.

But then looking at the airlines tnc it is only their duty to get you from point a to b it never mentions how well they can get you there. Thats why there are cases of airlines putting passengers on bus express when s#1t goes down in the west.

Strategy wise the airline needs support in marketing by respective local tourism instead of ordering around and hiding when the route launches and then complaining when the airline pulls out.

2 hours ago, flee said:

AirAsia X pulling out of Auckland

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/airasia-x-pulling-out-of-auckland-in-blow-to-transtasman-competition/OPL2VWJZWNAKVJIABCGKYONVMU/

Looks like AKL is not doing well and they need the planes to fly more profitable routes.

The route suspension is the second for AirAsia X. The airline first flew to Auckland in 2016, but was later suspended in 2019. Revived in November 2022, suspending again from February 2024. The flight time is too long and thin for the airline to make any decent profit. Even flying via Gold Coast and Sydney it faces tough competition from Qantas and Air NZ due to their more frequency and pricing dynamic.

On 12/15/2023 at 7:47 AM, flee said:

AirAsia X pulling out of Auckland

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/airasia-x-pulling-out-of-auckland-in-blow-to-transtasman-competition/OPL2VWJZWNAKVJIABCGKYONVMU/

Looks like AKL is not doing well and they need the planes to fly more profitable routes.

Families told to wait on refunds for AirAsia X suspended New Zealand flights

Melanie Earley 05:00, Dec 20 2023

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/133476557/families-told-to-wait-on-refunds-for-airasia-x-suspended-new-zealand-flights

A family-of-four who spent over $16,000 on flights for a wedding in Malaysia are now trying to recoup their money after AirAsia X suspended services in New Zealand.

The low-cost carrier said services to and from Auckland would stop from February 3, 2024 as a result of lower than expected demand.

Mark Sinclair along with his wife and daughters, aged 8 and 5, were some of the many Kiwis impacted by the suspension and were still waiting for a refund.

Sinclair said the family bought tickets to Malaysia in June, for his brother’s wedding.

“We saved up and chose to fly with AirAsia due to the lower cost. We booked return flights via Sydney, which cost just over $5000, as well as domestic flights from Christchurch to Auckland for $752.”

On November 3, Sinclair received an email from AirAsia which told him the flight had been cancelled for “operational reasons”, but they’d been moved to the next available flight a day later.

Thai AirAsia X considers operating Almaty flights next year

PUBLISHED : 20 DEC 2023 AT 06:15 NEWSPAPER SECTION: BUSINESS WRITER: NARUMON KASEMSUK

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/general/2709299

Thai AirAsia X is considering a new route next year between Bangkok and Almaty, the largest city in Kazakhstan, capitalising on the robust growth in arrivals from that country this year, which has already...

As of Dec 11, 154,015 tourists from Kazakhstan had visited Thailand this year, up sharply from the 59,620 arrivals recorded last year, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). 

"Actually, Thai AirAsia X planned to have five more aircraft next year, but due to surging demand from airlines globally, it's difficult to acquire new planes to add to the fleet at the moment," said Mr. Tassapon.

I would think Thai AirAsia X (XJ) has better prospect with Almaty than AirAsia X Malaysia (D7). I will give D7 16 months top before they drop the route. LOL!

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

To put a note here, Thai AirAsia X is looking to add another 11 A330 by 2028 to their current fleet of 6 A330 to expand its route network, bringing the total fleet to 17.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/131478-court-clears-revised-thai-airasia-x-rehabilitation-plan

The Airasia management loves to talk about their aircraft additions because they know Avgeeks will highlight it in discussions. Very often their plans just bite the dust and they will then talk about new plans again, repeating the cycle and keeping the brand in the publicity circle. So I think we really should only believe it when we see it.

From grapevine, quite a few of those older A320-200ceo AirAsia stored at KUL are no longer worthy for re-activating due to age and many faults. Explains why they took in three/ four ex-MYAirlines A320ceos.

On 12/21/2023 at 6:31 PM, JuliusWong said:

From grapevine, quite a few of those older A320-200ceo AirAsia stored at KUL are no longer worthy for re-activating due to age and many faults. Explains why they took in three/ four ex-MYAirlines A320ceos.

So will they be scrapped or sold by the lessors? 

IRC AirAsia will resume factory fresh A321Neo deliveries in 2024.

Edited by flee

3 hours ago, flee said:

So will they be scrapped or sold by the lessors? 

IRC AirAsia will resume factory fresh A321Neo deliveries in 2024.

Yes, they will be getting new A321neos in 2024. The current AirAsia Malaysia fleet are all leased, therefore the lessors will make the final decision to scrap them or otherwise. Given the many faults and the cycle that AirAsia has put those A320ceo through, highly likely some of them will head for scrappers. Not worth the money to reactivate them.

Mostly are 9M-AF*, AH* and AQ* which were the first three series to enter service. The oldest current active A320ceo 9M-AFE is now fast approaching 18th birthday. Only four AF* series are still in AK's fleet, AFD, AFE, AFF, and AFV, the rest are gone for good. 

48 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Yes, they will be getting new A321neos in 2024. The current AirAsia Malaysia fleet are all leased, therefore the lessors will make the final decision to scrap them or otherwise. Given the many faults and the cycle that AirAsia has put those A320ceo through, highly likely some of them will head for scrappers. Not worth the money to reactivate them.

Mostly are 9M-AF*, AH* and AQ* which were the first three series to enter service. The oldest current active A320ceo 9M-AFE is now fast approaching 18th birthday. Only four AF* series are still in AK's fleet, AFD, AFE, AFF, and AFV, the rest are gone for good. 

I have to say AK is doing a good job when it comes to maintaining these planes. Flew on board AFF few weeks ago to East Malaysia. Interior looks well maintained.  Excellent wear and tear management compared to MH planes that are a lot younger. Considering the amount of flight hours and cycles AK planes go through.

AirAsia X passengers stranded at Incheon airport for 27 hours after technical errors

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2023/12/419_365702.html

By Jung Min-ho Posted : 2023-12-24 17:06 Updated : 2023-12-25 15:18

AirAsia passengers bound for Malaysia were stuck at Incheon International Airport for more than 27 hours due to technical malfunctions, government officials said on Sunday.

According to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, its flight carrying 315 passengers had been initially scheduled to take off at 7:35 a.m., the previous day. But airline staff opened the boarding gate for passengers some 18 hours after an issue with its engine was rectified.

Just before leaving the airport, another technical error surfaced. Due to the protracted delay, the pilot permitted the passengers to leave the airplane at around 3:20 a.m., Sunday, and 50 of them did. After being stuck inside the plane for an additional seven-and-a-half hours, the remaining 265 people departed Incheon at 10:50 a.m. bound for Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

An official told reporters that the ministry has been checking whether the Malaysian airline complied properly with the guidelines regarding such issues and took appropriate measures for the passengers affected.

Aircraft involved is 9M-XXZ, delivered in April 2015. 

image.png

53 minutes ago, BC Tam said:

It is well known internally that TF drives his executives crazy. They can't last long in their roles - some of them quit the group and others move sideways.

AK/D7 merging is already happening at the operational level - many of their routes are operated by both AK and D7. The restructuring is merely going to be a corporate and stock exchange exercise.

-XXR has returned from heavy maintenance in Manila and is back hard at work, anyone know what livery she’s returned in? 

SEPANG (Jan 8): Capital A Bhd chief executive officer (CEO) Tan Sri Tony Fernandes will be meeting Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on Wednesday (Jan 10) to address foreign ownership limits for airlines of no more than 49% in Southeast Asia’s second largest economy.

“I am seeing [the Thai] prime minister on Wednesday; I am hoping [that] eventually, we can be one Asean airline,” he told reporters here on Monday, after announcing the merger of airline businesses under Capital A with AirAsia X Bhd (AAX).

The deal would involve Capital A divesting all of its short haul airline businesses to AAX, including Thai AirAsia Co Ltd (TAA), which is held under Capital A’s 43%-owned Thai-listed Asia Aviation PCL.

AAX, meanwhile, owns 49% of Thai AirAsia X Co Ltd, and a consolidation with TAA may result in changes to the eventual foreign shareholdings in these two Thai companies.

Fernandes said Capital A’s board of directors has approved the merger but negotiation is still ongoing, with both parties aiming to ink definitive agreements over the next few weeks.

AirAsia-AAX merger to involve Thai ops, Tony to meet Thai PM on Wednesday to address airline foreign ownership cap