MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kris Kim

AirAsia X Hires Australian Cabin Crew

They look gorgeous in Air Asia red uniform. I don't think AirAsia Australia is in the horizon, they do not have a good reputation in Oz mainly due to Indonesia AirAsia X cancelling DPS-MEL and DPS-SYD.

It reminds me of kebaya clad Spanish crew onboard Malaysia Airlines years ago. And also the legendary Mapule from South Africa

The legendary Mapule is still flying with MH?

I remember looking at her pic on duty onboard B738 in one of LS Facebook last year.

There's an Iranian FSS in D7 who is fluent in Korean. And AK used to have one Bulgarian FSS.

I had the pleasure to be served by a Mexican national FSS on MH.

Her name is Adriana Garratachea. There's a Mexican flag next to her name on her nametag.

This is she in action on my flight KUL-CPT back on 26 October 2011.

556899_10150504683028239_1708815475_n.jp

Ok guys, we got a lead from the spies at the AK Gossip Division about the nationality of cabin crew within the AirAsia Group:

Per crew database. This is the cabin crew list:

1. Algeria

2. Australia

3. Canada

4. China

5. Egypt

6. India

7. Indonesia

8. Iran

9. Iraq

10. Japan

11. Kazakhstan

12. Lebanon

13. Malaysia

14. Mauritius

15. Mongolia

16. Morocco

17. Myanmar

18. Nepal

19. Philippines

20. Singapore

21. South Korea

22. Taiwan

23. Tajikistan

24. Thailand

25. United Kingdom

26. Uzbekistan

27. Vietnam

The legendary Mapule is still flying with MH?

I remember looking at her pic on duty onboard B738 in one of LS Facebook last year.

yes she is still there, flew with her about 3 weeks ago on 738

Affendi, thank you for the confirmation. Azizul, as usual, you're a gem.

Very surprised to see airlines in Malaysia have crews from such diverse nationality. Some countries prohibit or limit their airlines from hiring foreigners. Even if they do hire, maybe in very small number. Thai Airways is good example.

Very surprised to see airlines in Malaysia have crews from such diverse nationality. Some countries prohibit or limit their airlines from hiring foreigners. Even if they do hire, maybe in very small number. Thai Airways is good example.

I believe that the Airasia Group runs its business on merit. So, if you are qualified to do the job, it does not matter what nationality you are. They just want to recruit the best people.

Great information there guys! It's very interesting that AirAsia has such a diverse crew.

I know that in Japan, both JL and NH hire mainly female FA's, if there are male FA's there will be very little, you could probably count them with all your fingers on your hands! In JL's case they use to hire BKK based FA's to fly for JALways which has since been folded back into mainline, but JL, NH tend to also just hire Japanese FA's.

On an interesting note, AF still hires inflight "interpreters", seen them on Korean and Chinese services. The Korean inflight interpreter actually changes into the traditional Hanbok dress inflight which I think is pretty neat and shows that AF does care about other cultures. Maybe AirAsia is trying to do something similar? CZ has also hired its first few Australian FA's to serve Australian routes.

Great information there guys! It's very interesting that AirAsia has such a diverse crew.

I know that in Japan, both JL and NH hire mainly female FA's, if there are male FA's there will be very little, you could probably count them with all your fingers on your hands! In JL's case they use to hire BKK based FA's to fly for JALways which has since been folded back into mainline, but JL, NH tend to also just hire Japanese FA's.

On an interesting note, AF still hires inflight "interpreters", seen them on Korean and Chinese services. The Korean inflight interpreter actually changes into the traditional Hanbok dress inflight which I think is pretty neat and shows that AF does care about other cultures. Maybe AirAsia is trying to do something similar? CZ has also hired its first few Australian FA's to serve Australian routes.

For flights to Japan, believe it is a requirement to have Japanese speaking crew.

Edited by KK Lee

I believe that the Airasia Group runs its business on merit. So, if you are qualified to do the job, it does not matter what nationality you are. They just want to recruit the best people.

True this AirAsia Group run business on merit, but getting the local immigration approval is another story. Usually many countries will give priority for local first before allowing business to hire foreigners. Unless we are talking about 3D job.

As many have highlighted here, many airlines now are hiring Western and Asian crew vice versa. China Eastern also has hired first batch of French crew, shuttling between Paris and Shanghai and Beijing.

African based airline like ET, and KQ which use BKK as scissor hub must have BKK-based crew cause of language requirement (The route is Thai and Chinese-heavy).

Edited by JuliusWong

I had the pleasure to be served by a Mexican national FSS on MH.

Her name is Adriana Garratachea. There's a Mexican flag next to her name on her nametag.

This is she in action on my flight KUL-CPT back on 26 October 2011.

556899_10150504683028239_1708815475_n.jp

I think the same Adriana is now teaching Spanish in Kuala Lumpur @ MyTeacher Languages

I have encountered foreigners operating domestic flights too. Usually Filipinos, but I have seen Japanese and Koreans too. And they genuinely enjoy their work and the company of their colleagues

If you visited the AirAsia Centre of Excellence, this is where the foundations of teamwork is instilled on the cabin crew. They spend a lot of time together during training and relationships develop. That is why you see this teamwork.

Some countries prohibit or limit their airlines from hiring foreigners. Even if they do hire, maybe in very small number. Thai Airways is good example.

Probably because fluency in Thai is a requirement for TG.

I know that in Japan, both JL and NH hire mainly female FA's, if there are male FA's there will be very little, you could probably count them with all your fingers on your hands!

And you are right for JL, just with one hand. There are only 5 male FA in JL - I had the pleasure of flying with one of them earlier this year.

While the two new hires from OZ are the current stars of D7, this piece of news is quite newsworthy - at least for me:

AirAsia X is expected to add new routes down under next year, including direct flights between Brisbane and KL and from a regional centre like Townsville.

So, possible option than Cairns, which is the closest 'big named city'?

Most probably by A320neo for Cairns and Townsville. I dont think the small local population can support daily A330 service. Even a triangular pattern is too much of capacity and operation cost.

Malaysia's foreign hiring policy is rather relaxed compared to other countries. Even in my line of work, I've dealt with so many foreigners even though there are plenty of local talents around who are just as capable.

I don't think you'd be able to see Malaysians doing the same at Qantas or Virgin Australia anytime soon.

Sign in to follow this