MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
nrazmoor

UK and Malaysia agree ‘open skies’ deal

bump into this article, interesting.. http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/2120991-uk-and-malaysia-agree-%E2%80%98open-skies%E2%80%99-deal

All previous limits on the number of services between the UK and Malaysia have been removed as have restrictions on flights to onward destinations from the two countries. Airlines can also operate services within each other’s countries.

The removal of the limit on the number of services between the two countries will come into effect from October 27, 2013.

Good find. Opens back the possibility of a 3rd daily service to LHR by MH after the slot selling incident to Air India back in 2006.

However, securing a good slot in LHR might be challenging.

I am not sure if MH will be able to mount a third A380 service into LHR. However, it may be less challenging to do KUL-LHR-EWR.

I am not sure if MH will be able to mount a third A380 service into LHR. However, it may be less challenging to do KUL-LHR-EWR.

I'd love a KUL-LHR-EWR MH flight! Then I could make my way from EWR to LAX and then fly LAX-NRT-KUL on MH again!!

Good find. Opens back the possibility of a 3rd daily service to LHR by MH after the slot selling incident to Air India back in 2006.

However, securing a good slot in LHR might be challenging.

The going price of LHR slot is GBP20 millions or more. At least that was what I heard when CX sold its freighter landing slot recently after it managed to secure additional slot from ANZ.

:hi:

No.

This is because even with the current bilateral where airlines from the UK have virtually 0 restriction to fly to Malaysia, they still do not want to fly to Malaysia. So this open skies agreement won't make any difference at all from the UK side as far as I am concern.

i dont think that MH will quick in introduce new route to the US cities any time soon since they already have extensive colab with AA via LHR/CDG/FRA. Besides, they dont have the right aircraft yet.. maybe after receiving the B787/A350(if only they ordered it in the first place) in 2018 and beyond only we can hope for it. Unless we dont mind flying the old B777. However i would love to see MH introduce KUL-LHR - YVR/YYC.

IMO, maybe we can see BA coming into KUL soon enough since this arrangement will benefit them the most if they interested doing a tag on KUL- ASEAN or KUL- Australia. With more B787 coming soon the possibility is there!

Just to add on. EWR is a UA hub. If, and this is a big IF (because I don't think it will likely happen), MH resumes services to the US East Coast, it'd probably use JFK considering that it's an AA hub. Hopefully it'll get to use T8. But, I don't think it will happen simply because MH is very tight on long-haul aircraft. The Trans-Atlantic NYC services are very competitive as well.

Let's assume that MAS might be able to squeeze at the very most a double weekly on its 772s. You have LH, AF, and soon to come BA A380 services, AA 77W, SQ A380/77W (rumored to be downgraded to MXP-JFK using the 77W, still a heck of a lot better than the MH 772s), other European carriers like LX and VS who all have superior products and an intra-European network at their disposal as well as Middle Eastern carriers carrying passengers from the Far East. All these services will be far superior from a product standpoint and will be more convenient because these carriers have a much stronger route network so they can draw on more connecting passengers and will be a lot more frequent so they'll definitely be the main stay for much of the business travel across the pond. If MAS can put their A380 on a daily routing via LHR to JFK, then they'd be in a better position to compete from at a passenger comfort level. But not with their 772s as they lose on all fronts.

Malaysia and UK Agree Open Skies, But Will It Bring New Services?

By Routes

"However, the introduction of onward traffic rights from Malaysia to
other points across Asia could provide the motive to enhanced air
connectivity between Malaysia and the UK and likewise we could see
Malaysia Airlines offer onward flights to North America from London,
albeit this market is already heavily served by its alliance partners BA
and American Airlines. The opportunity to combine Kuala Lumpur with
another Asian destination could help persuade BA to return to Malaysia
with its new Boeing 787s."

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/205903/malaysia-and-uk-agree-open-skies-but-will-it-bring-new-services/

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Sign in to follow this