MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

22 hours ago, Riza said:

I always thought this ex SK aircraft will do the DOH rotation. Its MEL instead 

She will do MH149/148 rotation to Melbourne and back for the remainder of the NW23 schedule. Then for NS24 season, she will solely do DOH MH160/161.

Side note, yesterday the Coldplay management chartered a MH B737-8H6 9M-MXM for moving their staff from Kaohsiung, Taiwan to Jakarta, Indonesia. Coldplay is scheduled to play at Jakarta tomorrow evening November 15, 2023. They were performing at Kaohsiung on November 11, and 12. 

Malaysia Airlines used to fly to Kaohsiung as MH86/87 in the early 1993/1994, route was Kuala Lumpur – Kota Kinabalu – Kaohsiung 4 weekly with 737-400

image.png

May be an image of aircraft and text

Photo Credit: 陳彥銘 of 高雄機場航空器資訊交流

On 11/10/2023 at 11:08 PM, JuliusWong said:

As of today, the following B737-800NG have been reconfigured to new seat configuration (12BC/162EY: 174 seats)

1. 9M-MLM
  2. 9M-MLN
  3. 9M-MLO
  4. 9M-MLS
  5. 9M-MLT
  6. 9M-MSA
  7. 9M-MSF
  8. 9M-MSE
  9. 9M-MSG
  10. 9M-MXD
  11. 9M-MXE
  12. 9M-MXF
  13. 9M-MXH
  14. 9M-MXK
  15. 9M-MXL
  16. 9M-MXN
  17. 9M-MXQ
  18. 9M-MXX
  19. 9M-MXV

They have  42 B737-800NG in their current fleet (including three leaving soon), they are halfway through the fleet refurbishment. Three B737-800NG (FFF, MLK, MLL) will leave for FY. FFF has been withdrawn from service since Oct 2023. 

Has 9M-MLV been reconfigured too? It is now flying in retro colours (photo from our own BKI spotter waiping)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Malaysia-Airlines/Boeing-737-8H6/7403029

9M-MVA flypass runway 32L at 10.20am est. Aircraft on holding pattern as it was originally suppose to do the flypass at 10.55am lol but ended up arriving 1 hour ahead of schedule.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:53 PM, jahur said:

Saw some photos it has the refurbished cabin. 

On 11/14/2023 at 6:28 PM, flee said:

Has 9M-MLV been reconfigured too? It is now flying in retro colours (photo from our own BKI spotter waiping)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Malaysia-Airlines/Boeing-737-8H6/7403029

Yes, MLV has new cabin. The above list was given to me before MLV was released to service.

54 minutes ago, jahur said:

9M-MVA flypass runway 32L at 10.20am est. Aircraft on holding pattern as it was originally suppose to do the flypass at 10.55am lol but ended up arriving 1 hour ahead of schedule.

Finally arrived in Malaysia after all the delays. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-16 at 10.42.20.jpeg

Just now, jani said:

Do we know how the interior looks like? Or is it the same as the latest 737 offering ie no IFE

Interior same as the newly refurbished B737-800NG. 

2 minutes ago, jani said:

Do we know how the interior looks like? Or is it the same as the latest 737 offering ie no IFE

Interior is the same 12 Business Class and 162 Economy Class seats.

Malaysia Airlines to decide on adding more A350s by March 2024
By Bilqis Bahari - November 16, 2023 @ 8:29am

https://www.nst.com.my/business/corporate/2023/11/978809/malaysia-airlines-decide-adding-more-a350s-march-2024

SEPANG: Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) is evaluating its need for more Airbus A350 aircraft after receiving its seventh wide-body in Kuala Lumpur on Nov 12 for its subsidiary, Malaysia Airlines Bhd.

MAG group managing director Datuk Captain Izham Ismail said the group would end 2023 with seven A350s in its wide-body category fleet.

"We're still evaluating whether we need more A350s. We'll make that decision maybe (in) early quarter one (2024)," he told Business Times on the sideline after announcing the reinstatement of Malaysia Airlines' full in-flight service offerings here today.

Izham also said the Premium Economy cabin in its seventh A350 aircraft will be offered as Economy Comfort.

"Economy Comfort will be sold as ancillary with extra legroom and the seat is slightly wider and more reclined," he added.

The five year-old seventh A350 with registration number 9M-MAH was previously flown by Scandinavian Airline.

The aircraft had undergone an exterior makeover to Malaysia Airlines' livery of the national flag colours and will maintain the existing seat configuration until the airline's overall A350 fleet reconfiguration exercise commences in late 2025.

The configuration seating includes 40 Business Class seats, 32 Premium Economy seats and 228 Economy seats.

MAG said the seventh A350 will begin operations in December this year by flying from Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne. The group added that from April 2024 onwards, the aircraft will be used on the Kuala Lumpur-Doha sector.

Malaysia Airlines fully reinstates in-flight meal service offerings
By Emir Zainul / theedgemalaysia.com 15 Nov 2023, 05:50 pm

https://theedgemalaysia.com/node/690096

SEPANG (Nov 15): National carrier Malaysian Airlines Bhd has fully restored its in-flight meal service offerings, complete with beverage offerings, full hot meals, special meals and complete dining ware, effective Wednesday.

In addition, the airline is also introducing enhanced meal offerings and refreshed menus across sectors, as it seeks to elevate the onboard dining experience.  

The full resumption of the in-flight meal services is achieved through partnerships between its parent company Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) and nine separate third-party meal suppliers, and the establishment of a temporary distribution centre — the MAG Catering Operations (MCAT) — to manage the assembly of food and beverages (F&B) items and the uplifting of meals onboard via hi-lift trucks.

The nine third-party meal suppliers are MAS Awana Sdn Bhd (60%-owned by MAG), Sajian Ambang Sdn Bhd, Syed Food Industry Sdn Bhd, QL Kitchen Sdn Bhd, Fantastic Food Factory Sdn Bhd, AlQina Cuisine, Cosmic Culinary Food Solution, Kopetro (Koperasi Petronas), and Wanmalinja Food Industries Sdn Bhd, which provides the iconic in-flight satay.

MAG group managing director Datuk Captain Izham Ismail said Malaysia Airlines’ catering transition, which took effect on Sept 1 after the decades-old in-flight catering partnership with Brahim’s Holdings Bhd ended on Aug 31, was a “a painful and tough journey” but the group remains steadfast to innovation, safety, and the highest standards of customer satisfaction.

“We acknowledge that there have been shortcomings and loud criticisms during our catering transition journey. Nevertheless, our sights from the onset have been clear and firm in ensuring that customer experience remains at the heart of everything we do, and that they experience as minimal interruptions as possible, while the management team works on a new catering path that ensures a sustainable future for MAG,” Izham said during the launch of the full reinstatement of the in-flight meals service on Wednesday.

He revealed that the new arrangement has resulted in an increase in its catering cost from 2% of its total operational cost during its partnership with Brahim’s, to 2.5% currently, but maintained that it is “worth the investment”.

MAG’s investments into its in-flight catering services include the MCAT, which currently has a fleet of 24 hi-lifts, six freezers, two chillers and two ware wash machines, enabling the airline to self-handle an average of 18,000 meals daily.

However, Izham did not disclose the total amount of the investment.

On the group’s 30%-stake in Brahim’s, Izham said MAG “must move on”, adding that the group is looking into partnering with foreign in-flight catering companies to potentially set up its own catering unit.

On Aug 30, Malaysia Airlines announced that it was ending its long-standing in-flight catering partnership with Brahim’s, after a “thorough and prolonged” negotiation period.

Following that, Malaysia Airlines initiated its contingency plan, which included establishing the MCAT operations at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), since an immediate transition to another large-scale supplier was not feasible.

MAG CEO says it's on track to turn first full-year net profit in 2023

By Kang Siew Li / theedgemalaysia.com

02 Nov 2023, 01:18 pmUpdated - 03:13 pm

SEPANG (Nov 2): Malaysia Aviation Group Bhd (MAG), the parent company of Malaysia Airlines Bhd, is on track to achieve its first full-year net profit since the airline group was privatised in 2014. This is driven by strong demand in the marketplace, elevated yields and a lean and agile balance sheet, MAG group managing director Datuk Captain Izham Ismail said.

The turnaround comes two years after it completed a restructuring exercise in February 2021 that saw it achieve a reduction in its liabilities of over RM15 billion.

"Yes, it has been a fantastic 27 months. We have been cash-flow positive on a daily basis for the last 27 months. We are on track to achieve net income after tax (NIAT) this year," he said during an Airline Leader Interview at the two-day Centre for Aviation (CAPA) Asia Aviation Summit 2023, which begins on Thursday.

He added that the group's net gearing is at 1.09 times, while cash balance stood at RM5.2 billion as at end-October 2023.

"I am confident that with the current balance sheet and the efficiency that the organisation has transformed itself, it is fit for the future."

MAG recorded a net profit of RM1.146 billion on revenue of RM3.8 billion in 4Q2022. For the full year that ended Dec 31, 2022 (FY2022), the group recorded a net operating profit of RM556 million, and it managed to narrow its net loss for the year by 79% to RM344 million from RM1.65 billion in FY2021.

"The industry has been operating in a high yield environment for the last two years. We forecast that demand will remain elevated at least until 2Q next year. We see capacity in the Asia-Pacific region will return to 2019 levels by the end of this year.

"However, our forecast of revenue passenger kilometres (RPK) will probably recover to 2019 levels only at the end of 2024," said Izham.

He also expects airline yields to ease from the beginning of 3Q2024. Nevertheless, it will continue to be better than 2019 levels at least circa 8% to 9% for Asia-Pacific, he said.

"For MAG, we will attain 93% seat capacity of 2019 levels by the end of this year."

According to Izham, fuel, as well as foreign exchange and interest rates, are major concerns. "But specifically for MAG, our biggest concern is interest rate as we take delivery of new aircraft, especially if they are on operating leases."

"As for fuel, we have hedged up to 22% of our fuel requirements year to date and are cautiously looking at our forward hedging. We have hedged up to 8% for 1Q2024," he added.

Looks like on track to finally break even.

44 minutes ago, jani said:

Same safran interior. Only surplus is the internet wifi. But heard the same would be extended to the 737-800 also.

Malaysia Airlines Academy at Kelana Jaya has ceased operation earlier this week. The aircraft mock ups will be dismantled to be either destroyed or sold. The academy will now move to KLIA.

Anyone has any lubang? Wanna buy some of the aircraft seats. LOL!

13 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Of the Smarties/M&M varieties ?! 😁

23 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Malaysia Airlines Academy at Kelana Jaya has ceased operation earlier this week. The aircraft mock ups will be dismantled to be either destroyed or sold. The academy will now move to KLIA.

The Simulator centre near subang airport is also moving to the KLIA site. Moving will take up to 3 months. Technically nothing training related in Kl city/kelana/subang anymore after this as everything will be in KLIA south near the hangars. 

Edited by jahur

32 minutes ago, jahur said:

The Simulator centre near subang airport is also moving to the KLIA site. Moving will take up to 3 months. Technically nothing training related in Kl city/kelana/subang anymore after this as everything will be in KLIA south near the hangars. 

Thank you for the additional information. Didn't know the simulator centre is also moving.

Finally, after moving most of their operation to KLIA post-Idris Jala butchering in 2005-2007, now all operations, support services and HQ are consolidated at KLIA. After 16 years! LOL!

Now, with SZB revival as complementary airport to KUL, what will happen to all the former Malaysia Airlines building near SZB?

44 minutes ago, BC Tam said:

Of the Smarties/M&M varieties ?! 😁

Hahaha, unfortunately nope. Only saw the former B747-400 First Class (the one same as Thai Airways B747-400), B747-400/777 Business Class and some other recliner J class, I think from B737 Classics. Looks to be in good condition.

malaysia-airlines-747-first-class

1176063.jpg

3 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Thank you for the additional information. Didn't know the simulator centre is also moving.

Finally, after moving most of their operation to KLIA post-Idris Jala butchering in 2005-2007, now all operations, support services and HQ are consolidated at KLIA. After 16 years! LOL!

Now, with SZB revival as complementary airport to KUL, what will happen to all the former Malaysia Airlines building near SZB?

It has to move as this was pretty much a long standing plan since the heliconia days except execution was slow or never in motion. The training centre near subang airport i think since 2016 only 20-30% of the site was maintained. If i am not mistaken pre 2010 that area had a pretty well maintained food court, multi level car park, and a big dewan hall to host any events.   I went in a few times and the unusued 70% of the site it pretty much reminds me of the abandoned BA centre minus the abandoned mock cabin, fuselage etc.

The consolidation and relocation to KLIA south is a plus for most of the staffs as many actually reside closer to KLIA than KL. Maybe a downer for FY though as now it is further for them to commute than before.

Not sure for the sim centre but the adjacent widebody hangars which were formerly owned by mas are in process of acquisition by the SIA mro joint venture.

MAB Engineering seals 15-year maintenance, repair and overhaul hangar lease at Subang Airport

Am pretty sure the surrounding area including the soon to be moving out mas sim facility will be redeveloped into something for the MRO. 

9 hours ago, jahur said:

There go the last vestiges of the "old" MAS, for better or worse. I'd be curious to see what comes of the regional hub plan for SZB.

8 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Hahaha, unfortunately nope. Only saw the former B747-400 First Class (the one same as Thai Airways B747-400), B747-400/777 Business Class and some other recliner J class, I think from B737 Classics. Looks to be in good condition.

Great memories on those seats. I wouldn't mind getting one of those for my living room! If anything it'll be a throwback to a very different era.

6 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

There go the last vestiges of the "old" MAS, for better or worse. I'd be curious to see what comes of the regional hub plan for SZB.

When MAS were operating from Subang, it made sense then. Now, their main base is KLIA - so it makes sense to have everything based in that ecosystem. 

4 hours ago, flee said:

When MAS were operating from Subang, it made sense then. Now, their main base is KLIA - so it makes sense to have everything based in that ecosystem. 

It's always more efficient to operate the training centre(be it management or operations) from one single location instead of it scattered around the state.

Anyhow some interesting things for Subang is to be expected. But we'll have to wait by the end of next year to see some of the announcement. OD pulling out and SKS coming in with the E2 is one of the first few phases.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:30 AM, flee said:

Wouldn't it be better to deploy the aircraft to higher yield routes? Although secondhand, this aircraft is perhaps MHs best (and newest built A350) and I won't be surprised if it will also be used on the Japan routes after the initial deployment to MEL.

I don't think Japan has fully recovered (just based on flight capacity between NH/MH/D7) and the Yen is very weak now.

On 11/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, jahur said:

Same safran interior. Only surplus is the internet wifi. But heard the same would be extended to the 737-800 also.

I saw the fleet page on Going Places and it didn't mention wifi on the 7M8. I hope those will get external wifi too.

18 hours ago, jahur said:

Anyhow some interesting things for Subang is to be expected. But we'll have to wait by the end of next year to see some of the announcement. OD pulling out and SKS coming in with the E2 is one of the first few phases.

IIRC, the Subang Airport Redevelopment Plan (SARP) was supposed to be completed within 3 years (or was it supposed to begin within 3 years, which if that's the case, nothing will come to fruition until 2035?). Current T3 doesn't seems to be able to cope with the planned extra capacity. Anthony Loke mentioned that the Subang Skylink (KTM) will be revived once SZB realizes it full potential (I guess they aren't really moving far away from T3 then?).

4 hours ago, Craig said:

I saw the fleet page on Going Places and it didn't mention wifi on the 7M8. I hope those will get external wifi too.

IIRC, the Subang Airport Redevelopment Plan (SARP) was supposed to be completed within 3 years (or was it supposed to begin within 3 years, which if that's the case, nothing will come to fruition until 2035?). Current T3 doesn't seems to be able to cope with the planned extra capacity. Anthony Loke mentioned that the Subang Skylink (KTM) will be revived once SZB realizes it full potential (I guess they aren't really moving far away from T3 then?).

I think i saw a circular by MH a while ago and a new strait times article. Internet Wifi to be installed on the 737-800 on later stages. As for the max 8 those are delivered fitted with and u can see the hump dome on the fuselage probably needs some configuration by engineering before the wifi is introduced. 

Some of the airlines recent townhall plans regarding SZB operations in the future might shock quite a few. I dont think i can state it out here. It will probably a few months after when more direct announcements by proper channels have been made instead. 

Overall from what i see SZB reconfiguration and redevelopment will not be for big operation like 30 narrowbody combined parking as what some people might've assume.