MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KC Sim

MAS B777 Incident at PVG - Did this really happen?

I was told that the wing of a Malaysia Airlines B777 made contact with a China Eastern Airlines Airbus A340-600 at Shanghai Pudong Airport today.

I could not find any news of it anywhere ... did this really happen?

KC Sim

Does the incident happen during taxi under aircraft's own power (responsibility: captains) or during towing or pushback (responsibility: ground crew)?

From the picture. looks like the damage is to the rear of the left horizontal stabilizer.

As aircraft can only taxi forward, either it happened during pushback or it was hit by the other aircraft / object from the rear.

Edit: The picture looks like the China Eastern aircraft, so they are the one who were hit from the rear. Interesting to know what and how it happened.

Edited by Radzi

I'm curious to find out what part of MH's aircraft is high enough to hit MU's tail... Is the wingtip that high off the ground??

Edited by alberttky

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/Metro/2012/08/10/Widebody+passenger+planes+bump+at+Pudong+International/

A TAXIING Malaysia Airlines passenger plane bumped the tail of a China Eastern Airlines plane waiting on the taxiway at Pudong International Airport yesterday afternoon. No one was injured.

China Eastern flight MU583 from Shanghai to Los Angeles was waiting to take off about 4:30pm when a wing of the Malaysia Airlines plane bumped the left elevator on the tail of the Chinese plane, the China Eastern said later yesterday.

The top of the wing of the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 was broken off and hung on the tail of the China Eastern Airbus 340-600, according to pictures posted by passengers on the Internet. Both planes are wide-body passenger aircraft.

"It is like a sudden earthquake," said a passenger surnamed Chai on the China Eastern plane.

He said the plane was shook strongly when it was bumped and the shaking was more severe in the front of the plane.

The Shanghai-based airline dispatched another plane for the flight and moved the damaged plane for inspections and repair, China Eastern said. The China Eastern flight was due to take off at 3pm but had yet to take off as of 9pm yesterday.

The East China Regional Administration of the Civil Aviation Administration of China has sent a team to investigate, an official said. The operation of other flights at the airport was not affected.

Malaysia Airlines' flight MH389 was heading to Kuala Lumpur. The company could not be reached for comment.

A civil aviation expert said the bump is likely to have happened at the beginning of the taxiway, when the Malaysia Airlines plane was turning around. He said the damage to either plane wound not be severe.

"The pilot of either plane could have misunderstood the order from the air traffic controller and turned into the wrong taxiway," a local pilot told Shanghai Daily yesterday. He said the incident is rare.

Hi,

Not sure if there is any incident but just wanted to share what I saw...

I stay in Putra Heights, which is under the flight path of 14L landing during this time of the year.

On 5th August (Sun) evening around 6pm, I was walking my dog while spotting the incoming aircraft. Amongst the line-up I noticed a B772 coming in very slow, and with its gear all down. As far as I know Putra Height is way before the gear down point. I estimate the plane's coordinate at 2°59'24.19"N 101°34'22.30"E that time.

At first I thought that could be a foreign airline with crew first time flying into KUL. However upon closer inspection, I realized it is a MH plane. It was flying at such low speed that I thought the AK following behind might need a go around...

Not sure if anyone hear about this, could it be a case of technical issue?

Thanks

Ben-G

I think it is a different plane, as the one I saw was on 5th August and the PVG incident happened on 9th Aug...

Oops, just reread your post. It's probably on a test flight perhaps?

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I can imagine the pilot going to a balai polis to make a report. :p (this is fresh in my mind cause i had to help my friend make one last week)

Pada kira kira Jam 2.30 petang tadi, saya tengah mengendali pesawat saya di jalan raya A6 menghala ke utara pada kelajuan 8 ikatan , tiba tiba saya dilanggar dari belakang oleh pesawat yang lain.

Kerosakan kepada pesawat saya termasuk horizontal stabilizer dan badan pesawat. Itu saja buat masa sekarang.

Incidentally - talking to the police officers at the balai - the most COMMONLY word used in almost all police reports is "tiba tiba" :p

Did your (pilot?) friend have to tow aircraft/pesawat to the balai for investigative work ? :p

No lah - my friend got in a fender bender last week on the road (she is not a pilot) - and the report writing at the balai is very templated and standard :p

Heard from someone from the inside saying that the China Eastern A330 stopped too far away from its holding point and the MAS pilots stopped. ATC insisted that it was okay from their view so the guys proceeded and clipped the A330's tail. I know that at the end of the day, the ultimate responsibility for clearance of an aircraft lies on the pilots so I'm pretty sure those guys will get most of the blame but will the ATC bear some of the blame as well?

So, the MU aircraft was 330 or 340 ?

I was told A330. But based on the reports we've been reading, it's all A346. I'm guessing my friend could've given me wrong info then.

Sign in to follow this