MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kee Hooi Yen

'Old' Subang Airport

I still remember the old days at Subang Airport. The ‘open air’ viewing gallery was just a big balcony, where we could hear the engine roaring at the apron, watched the passenger boarding the plane via the ‘stairs’….. Oh yes, not forgotten MAS Fokker Friendship 27, Airbus A300 and DC-10 too…

Has anyone got the photos of ‘old’ Subang Airport ?? Please share if you have any. Thank you.

What sort of photos are u looking for??

Coz Terminal is completely gone..broken down..Can really spot much for Terminal 3 cause the build Hangars right in front of the viewing gallery..

This is Transmile Cargo area..

A few more parking space are available next to the Md-11..

IPB Image

Part of the Mas Hangar..Maintainanace..

IPB Image

That's all i got..

Edited by raj

I still remember the old days at Subang Airport. The ‘open air’ viewing gallery was just a big balcony, where we could hear the engine roaring at the apron, watched the passenger boarding the plane via the ‘stairs’….. Oh yes, not forgotten MAS Fokker Friendship 27, Airbus A300 and DC-10 too…

you remind me about it. the balcony was cool. i wish they have it at "new" KLIA.

Azuddin

Saw some pics in a photo-account of Malaysian history by Wendy Moore. Nice ones on the old WMKK with Super Connie and Comet 4 on the tarmac plus other a/c pics such as DC-3. The credits refer to Arkib Negara, so perhaps one can see all the pics by visiting Arkib Negara (National Archives).

Saw some pics in a photo-account of Malaysian history by Wendy Moore. Nice ones on the old WMKK with Super Connie and Comet 4 on the tarmac plus other a/c pics such as DC-3. The credits refer to Arkib Negara, so perhaps one can see all the pics by visiting Arkib Negara (National Archives).

Saw some pics in a photo-account of Malaysian history by Wendy Moore. Nice ones on the old KLIA (WMKF) with Super Connie and Comet 4 on the tarmac plus other a/c pics such as DC-3. The credits refer to Arkib Negara, so perhaps one can see all the pics by visiting Arkib Negara (National Archives).

Off topic: Attan post it thrice because of some computer glitch. I experience that a few days ago too. But since nobody replied yet I had the chance to edit the post. In Attan's case the moderator will have to do it.

On-topic: There a a few old P Ramlee era movies that shows the viewing area, and the apron. i also remember one movie where the hero's car break down somewhere near Kelana Jaya. And that place was like miles from civilisation.

Nostalgic. Will never see those again.

Wonder, why did they torn down the Subang T1? That place is a jungle now. Tiger-rearing project?

Edited by Radzi

Wonder, why did they torn down the Subang T1? That place is a jungle now. Tiger-rearing project?

Read it a few years in one of the local Chinese newspaper that they were going to build the new bus terminal (relocating Puduraya) on current Subang T1 site, so that KL city will not be congested. But found out a year or two later that is a bit of a bullshit. Another lesson for not believe in everything the media told you. Made you wonder too why the heck would they build a bus terminal next to an airport runway! Every now and then I see some proposal to turn the T1 site into aircraft hangars which will turn Subang into a maintanance center.

I too thought they should not have torn down T1. T2 and T3 is more ugly! Should have used T1 for other purposes like exhibition centre or etc. Anyway, two former aerobridges of Subang T1 had been shipped over to Sandakan and a few other locations.

It is also meaningless to change Subang airport to Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah airport at the last few years of operation If they are sincere enough, perhaps they would have done it to KLIA. Not to mention such a long name for an airport too.

Edited by S V Choong

Attan, we heard you the first time and there is no need to repeat it twice :lol:

Heh heh, when I clicked "Add Reply" nothing happened until the third time. Now I have 2 unwanted babies :D

I agree with SV Choong Terminal 1 shouldn't be torn down. It was a beautiful structure, what a waste ! I like the building particularly before the renovation in the 80s. The building was 'open' (no air-con lah) and I could even hear the plane doing take-off and landing from the car park (which was the location for the airport hotel later on) ! That's why I started to get excited when I reached to the car park !

Large pics...circa 1965. Its hard to believe those rubber plantations were subsequently gazetted by the gov't to become Kg Baru Subang. In the 1980s, part of it became TUDM Subang. In 1990s, it became Subang Light Industrial zone.

IPB Image

BOAC Vickers (?)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Road heading left leads to Kg Baru Subang and Kg Melayu Subang. If you continue onwards and turn left at a junction, there is an old road that connects to TUDM Subang and Ladang Kerry(?). Heading right leads to Sg Buloh, RRIM, Tanah Merah, K.Selangor, Paya Jaras, Kepong, FRIM, etc.

IPB Image

Thanks for the pictures, Denny !

Look at the high mask lighting (3rd photo), just like telephone pole. Btw, wonder what airline was it in that picture ?

BOAC = British Overseas Airways Corp (predecessor of BA). Here is the history:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:k1W2KE...en&ct=clnk&cd=1

A/c in pic is indeed a Vickers VC10. Here is the history:

http://www.vc10.net/History/historyBOAC.html

Some engineering drawings:

http://www.vc10.net/background_pictures.html

Edited by Denny Yen

BOAC = British Overseas Airways Corp (predecessor of BA). Here is the history:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:k1W2KE...en&ct=clnk&cd=1

A/c in pic is indeed a Vickers VC10. Here is the history:

http://www.vc10.net/History/historyBOAC.html

Some engineering drawings:

http://www.vc10.net/background_pictures.html

clasiccal. something that we will probably never see anymore in Malaysia. not just the airline (of course the airline in now BA but no longer flew to Malaysia), the aircraft itself (VC-10) is very rare in the airspace.

Azuddin

On-topic: There a a few old P Ramlee era movies that shows the viewing area, and the apron. i also remember one movie where the hero's car break down somewhere near Kelana Jaya. And that place was like miles from civilisation.

Nostalgic. Will never see those again.

I have a VCD of that movie: Sesudah Suboh. Great clips of a Malaysian Airways Comet taxiing and taking off. I'm very upset when I first got to know Terminal 1 was demolished...and I got to know about it in one of Capt Radzi's aerial pics of SBZ.

SV Choong, thanks for the photos. I remember that place so much and how I wish I don't have to travel so far to KLIA just to take a flight.

Edited by Rozhan

the aircraft itself (VC-10) is very rare in the airspace.

Azuddin,

Indeed, only the Royal Air Force (RAF) is still operating the VC10...all the others are in museums or were scrapped :angry:

(Lucky me, I flew once on a BA VC10 from LHR to DUS - while the flight continued to THR; very fond memories because it was a cloudless day, and basically we flew across NL and AMS :D )

a bit off topic here..

anyone here remember the fire at Terminal One back in the early 90's..

the one where some of the duty free shops burnt down..

Radzi, From what i heard in the early 00 was that they where going to build a convention centre for Aerospace exibhitons..Part of this plan was to arrange LIMA to be held in Subang..THat's just what i heard..Maybe plan change to build a bus station like SV mentioned..

the last that i heard regarding this is that goverment will set up a maintenance repair and overhaul (MRO) centre at Terminal 1 location..

a bit off topic here..

anyone here remember the fire at Terminal One back in the early 90's..

the one where some of the duty free shops burnt down..

i was there during the fire. i was about 5 during that time. the ATC tower covered in black gresse from the smoke. the road was closed during that time so my dad and i come back to see it the following day or two. also did anyone remember when MH A300 make a crash landing outside the airport area, near Kg Subang. my dad was in his office nearby when he heard the news. so he rush down to see it. it's still on fire when he's arrived.

Azuddin

Azuddin,

Indeed, only the Royal Air Force (RAF) is still operating the VC10...all the others are in museums or were scrapped :angry:

(Lucky me, I flew once on a BA VC10 from LHR to DUS - while the flight continued to THR; very fond memories because it was a cloudless day, and basically we flew across NL and AMS :D )

lucky you, you've been on VC-10. I did saw one VC-10 at LHR. i believe it's RAF's.

Azuddin

Terminal One had 2 fire.

First was at the southern end duty free shop. I think 3 people were killed, overcome by the smoke. That happened in 1989 if I'm not mistaken. At that time I just come back from the States, not yet in the aviation line. Remember discussing that with my late grandfather.

Second was the tower fire. Must be in 1992 because at that time I was doing ground school at the MAS simulator building. And on the day after the fire MAS engineering had an open day at the hangar.

There is a third fire, involving the radar. Super chaotic at the time, with all flights delayed and all sort of slot time going into Subang. As usual the domestic part has low priority (due to shorter flight time). Lucky for me, one week after the fire I took leave to do my ATPL class. When I started to fly again 2 months later the situation was almost back to normal.

About the VC-10. Saw one in Subang, belongs to RAF. I was at T3, already on the 737 command so so it must be after year 2000. But I don't carry a camera during those days. :(

About the VC-10. Saw one in Subang, belongs to RAF. I was at T3, already on the 737 command so so it must be after year 2000. But I don't carry a camera during those days. :(

Saw a grey RAF VC10 at KLIA in August 2004, while transitting from AMS to BKI: what a roar when taking-off - just amazing :o :o

Sign in to follow this