MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kee Hooi Yen

'Old' Subang Airport

My maternal grandfather used to be the "mailman" who carried all the mail off the BOAC aircraft to the Post Office in KL.

Not the most "flashy" of jobs...but the ramp access sure makes it appealing! :D

It amazes me how empty it was around Subang compared to the scene today.......

Didn't know BOAC used to send their VC-10s to Subang

It amazes me how empty it was around Subang compared to the scene today.......

Didn't know BOAC used to send their VC-10s to Subang

Yes they did, and then replaced with the B747-100 in the early 1970s, which departed in the late evening. The B747 I remember seeing at that time was still with BOAC's logo.

i thought it was the Tristars before the jumbo jets...unless they changed them from 747-100 to the Tristars in the early 80s before putting the 747-200 and 747-400 in the nineties on their kul route

I believe the B747-100 came earlier. It was a treat for the senses to see a B747 taking off at close range, considering the sound of jet engines from that era. I was sending off my cousin to further his studies in the US, via LHR. It was around 1972 / 73 or thereabouts.

Does anyone know if the TriStar ever got to wear the BOAC Speedbird logo? I saw plenty of them at LHR in mid 1980s, with the later 'red top' BA tail livery. Don't know what's the name of the livery. At that time, some planes' tails were already being progressively changed to the blue one, with BA crest.

Edited by Rozhan

Does anyone know if the TriStar ever got to wear the BOAC Speedbird logo? I saw plenty of them at LHR in mid 1980s, with the later 'red top' BA tail livery. Don't know what's the name of the livery.

AFAIK, the L1011's never wore the BOAC livery; The red-top BA livery had the "British airways" titles, before moving to "British"...no doubt, the airliners.net website can help you here, by selecting the airline-aircrafttype combination B)

Sign in to follow this