MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAS and AirAsia Shares Swap

for me,the maswings livery will look good in Airbus A319/20/21 aircrafts

Oh please, no more A320; Air Asia already had plenty (in fact a lot counting those pending one), however, A318/319/321 should be good enough...or even E-Jets...

More updates on turning MASwings as regional arm's for Malaysia Airlines:

1) MASwings needs bigger fleet to make international flights a reality

KUCHING: For Malaysia Airlines subsidiary MASwings to be a regional airline according to the Sarawak government’s intentions, then it will need at least four jet aircraft.

MASwings presently only has turbo propeller planes and operates the rural air services segment in Sarawak and Sabah. But last Monday, it received the green light from federal decision makers to fly international destinations.

State Tourism Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg, who was addressing the lack of air connectivity to Sarawak during a press conference here yesterday, said MASwings needed a bigger fleet.

Although he was pleased MASwings would commence its Pontianak-Kuching-Brunei flights next January, he said MASwings ought to also take up routes to Singapore and Hong Kong. The two hubs, Johari said, were key to European travellers and those from the US.

“From the US, their transit points are Hong Kong and Tokyo. For Europeans, their transit is usually Singapore. We are right in the middle of all those places. We need to be connected to those hubs,” Johari told reporters.

Johari said MAS was plagued by “problems at the moment”.

“In my personal opinion, MAS should concentrate on international routes, and then leave domestic and closer regional routes to other carriers, like MASwings.”

Johari added that MAS needed to have more “lean” expenditure.

Sarawak’s air connectivity has been a perennial problem, which was made worse when another MAS subsidiary, Firefly, began cancelling routes between the state and Peninsular Malaysia recently.

The move left tourism players statewide fuming with the about-turn, as Firefly had been promising continuity and further expansion in Sarawak. Firefly’s unexpected pullout was the result of a massive flight rationalisation exercise between MAS and AirAsia.

That exercise was the result of a shareswap deal, announced in August, after MAS posted woeful financial results.

Sources: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/11/25/sarawak/9972298&sec=sarawak

2) Firefly flight stoppage creates opportunities for MASwings

KUCHING: The stoppage of FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd (Firefly) flight linkage to East Malaysia since last month has created futher growth opportunities for MASwings Sdn Bhd (MASwings), although there is no confirmation yet from its parent company, Malaysia Airlines Systems Bhd (MAS).

Market speculation was rife that MASwings would be the regional airline carrier for East Malaysia, serving Sabah and Sarawak, and at the same time, facilitating the Brunei-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East Asean Area (BIMP-Eaga) regions.

However, Sarawak Tourism Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Openg said it was still too early to conclude anything yet but definitely, with more shares, the state would have better say in the running of MASwings in its operations.

“As a regional airline, MASwings will have to fly to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Hong Kong. These are important hubs in the region.

“But first, it must acquire at least four jetliners before it can start operating as a regional airline,” he said recently.

MAS’s senior employee who preferred to remain anonymous said, “This is all about coping with changes in the aviation industry. The cancellation that we are seeing today is part and parcel of day to day operations. We were informed that there are still some discussions going on between the airlines.

“What matters most is not so much the frequency of the aircraft, it is about filling up the slots throughout the day. There is no point having four to five airlines operating between the same desinations and yet the slots are back to back. It is better to have lesser frequency but well spread throughout the day,” he added.

Firefly started its flight linkage to the East Malaysian market early this year on January 15, having two flights daily from Kuala Lumpur to Kuching and Kota Kinabalu. Not reaching a year of service, after the share swap between AirAsia Bhd and MAS, Firefly halted its flight services to Sarawak and Sabah.

More question marks arose when the resignation news of Firefly chief executive officer (CEO) Datuk Eddy Leong became public. It was later confirmed by MAS group CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya that Leong would be replaced by Ignatius Ong Ming Choy as chief operating officer (COO) of its short-haul operations effective December 10,

Leong would remain in the MAS Group until December 31, and would be joining Destination Resorts and Hotels, a unit of Khazanah Nasional Bhd as COO, it said in a recent statement.

According to a recent news reports, there were speculations that Firefly could cease to exist by April next year.

Read more: http://www.theborneopost.com/2011/11/25/firefly-flight-stoppage-creates-opportunities-for-maswings/#ixzz1egraeuW0

Comments:- Sit back, relax and see whether it becomes reality or just mere talking...Hopefully it will turn out positively for East Malaysians...

I was thinking perhaps MasWings could study on KCH - HKG - HND/NRT route.

Don't forget to add KCH-PER, SYD, MEL, BNE, ADL, LHR, CAN, HKG, PEK, PVG, BKK, CGK, MNL, SGN, BDJ, BPN, MDC, UJU, LAX, JFK, AMS, CDG, FRA, FCO and AKL.

:good:

MASwings needs bigger fleet to make international flights a reality

KUCHING: For Malaysia Airlines subsidiary MASwings to be a regional airline according to the Sarawak government’s intentions, then it will need at least four jet aircraft.

MASwings presently only has turbo propeller planes and operates the rural air services segment in Sarawak and Sabah. But last Monday, it received the green light from federal decision makers to fly international destinations.

State Tourism Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg, who was addressing the lack of air connectivity to Sarawak during a press conference here yesterday, said MASwings needed a bigger fleet.

Although he was pleased MASwings would commence its Pontianak-Kuching-Brunei flights next January, he said MASwings ought to also take up routes to Singapore and Hong Kong. The two hubs, Johari said, were key to European travellers and those from the US.

“From the US, their transit points are Hong Kong and Tokyo. For Europeans, their transit is usually Singapore. We are right in the middle of all those places. We need to be connected to those hubs,” Johari told reporters.

Johari said MAS was plagued by “problems at the moment”.

“In my personal opinion, MAS should concentrate on international routes, and then leave domestic and closer regional routes to other carriers, like MASwings.”

Johari added that MAS needed to have more “lean” expenditure.

Sarawak’s air connectivity has been a perennial problem, which was made worse when another MAS subsidiary, Firefly, began cancelling routes between the state and Peninsular Malaysia recently.

The move left tourism players statewide fuming with the about-turn, as Firefly had been promising continuity and further expansion in Sarawak. Firefly’s unexpected pullout was the result of a massive flight rationalisation exercise between MAS and AirAsia.

That exercise was the result of a shareswap deal, announced in August, after MAS posted woeful financial results.

Source

Don't forget to add KCH-PER, SYD, MEL, BNE, ADL, LHR, CAN, HKG, PEK, PVG, BKK, CGK, MNL, SGN, BDJ, BPN, MDC, UJU, LAX, JFK, AMS, CDG, FRA, FCO and AKL.

:good:

Yes Good idea. Probably when Sarawak has gained the independence and joined Singapore, the potential may come.

Yes Good idea. Probably when Sarawak has gained the independence and joined Singapore, the potential may come.

How do you proposed to organize a referendum supervised by U.N.?

Malaysia Airlines: Firefly ATR 72 operations to remains

PETALING JAYA (Nov 25, 2011): Malaysia Airlines (MAS) said Firefly will remain an integral part of the group and that it remains committed to ensuring the continuation of the community airline's turboprop operations.

The national carrier was responding to theSun's report yesterday which had questioned the future of Firefly following the resignation of its managing director on Tuesday.

"MAS wishes to put on record that the group strongly believes in the Firefly brand and has on many occasions made clear our intention to maintain Firefly's turboprop operations as an integral part of the group. This was in fact reinforced most recently in our statement issued on Wednesday with respect to the appointment of Ignatius Ong Ming Choy as Firefly's new chief operating officer," MAS said in a statement issued late last night.

"The group is very committed to ensuring the continuation of Firefly's award-winning and highly popular turboprop operations, which offer consumers a niche product providing point-to-point connectivity to up to 18 destinations in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand," it added.

MAS also said the suggestion that Firefly's turboprop operations offer a "second class" service was "unfair and uncalled for" and "flies in the face of all the customers served by the airline".

"With the implementation of the service segregation strategy, announced last month, Firefly turboprop, a profitable company, is in fact being expanded through the delivery of new aircraft, allowing the airline to diversify the range and frequencies of services offered," said the carrier.

"We have expressed our sincere gratitude to (Firefly former MD) Datuk Eddy Leong Chin Tung for his dedicated service to the MAS Group and recognise his indisputable success in building such a strong brand and airline.

"His departure, however, does not in any way infer, as your report suggests, that Firefly's turboprop operations, air services licence or brand are 'in limbo'," MAS told theSun.

Sources: http://www.thesundaily.my/news/220282

I don't know. Why don't you tell me? :rolleyes:

Then Maswings won't add KCH-PER, SYD, MEL, BNE, ADL, LHR, CAN, HKG, PEK, PVG, BKK, CGK, MNL, SGN, BDJ, BPN, MDC, UJU, LAX, JFK, AMS, CDG, FRA, FCO and AKL :(

Then Maswings won't add KCH-PER, SYD, MEL, BNE, ADL, LHR, CAN, HKG, PEK, PVG, BKK, CGK, MNL, SGN, BDJ, BPN, MDC, UJU, LAX, JFK, AMS, CDG, FRA, FCO and AKL :(

I'm not sure where those idea comes from. Obviously in the article, it mentioned that US travellers would transit in HKG and NRT while European travellers would transit in SIN before they can step their feet in Sarawak. Since there are ample flights connecting KCH - SIN, I was suggesting KCH - HKG - NRT could be viable since if MasWings forces on KCH - HKG & KCH - NRT solely, it might be very a difficult market.

After these becomes viable, then perhaps we can talk about Australia routes. Others not really required because the demand is too scarce.

I'm not sure where those idea comes from. Obviously in the article, it mentioned that US travellers would transit in HKG and NRT while European travellers would transit in SIN before they can step their feet in Sarawak. Since there are ample flights connecting KCH - SIN, I was suggesting KCH - HKG - NRT could be viable since if MasWings forces on KCH - HKG & KCH - NRT solely, it might be very a difficult market.

After these becomes viable, then perhaps we can talk about Australia routes. Others not really required because the demand is too scarce.

KCH-BEY must also be included for the Sarawak First Lady’s family and friends to visit her in KCH.

Maswings is not in any airline alliance or code share, not sure many tourists are aware of Maswings.

KCH-BEY must also be included for the Sarawak First Lady’s family and friends to visit her in KCH.

Maswings is not in any airline alliance or code share, not sure many tourists are aware of Maswings.

Oh, that's not necessary. They could ride on their Hornbill Skyways.

Oh, that's not necessary. They could ride on their Hornbill Skyways.

Indeed; Why bother flying onboard commercial flight,since Hornbill Skyways can do it for them (due to the Challenger & Citation X in their fleet.)

Sorry,OT!

I'm quite astounded by the fact that the Sabah and Sarawak Govts wants a share in the MasWings.

1.These right here are the people who knew the flight demands of their respective states either intrastate,interstate between Sarawak and Sabah and also to and from Peninsula especially KUL..which bring us to point 2.

2.Have you noticed how absurd it is the ticket price of AK for example BKI-KUL route now that Firefly is not serving us? Some who commute between KUL and BKI notices this especially me, with landing at the Pudu Air Terminal or otherwise known as LCCT making it all the more harder to reach KL city.

3.I wonder people who talk about rakyat's money and all really knows what they're talking about. These state govts are trying to help the people of Borneo and giving them more options of cheaper flights rather than having one airline sucking up all the profits of being the only airline to have hub in Kota Kinabalu and then flying to destinations like Taipei,Jakarta,Bali and Clark among others. And let's not dive into politics now, let's discuss all of this from airline users point of view.

I think Singapore have enough money to buy Sarawak. :clapping:

Indeed; Why bother flying onboard commercial flight,since Hornbill Skyways can do it for them (due to the Challenger & Citation X in their fleet.)

Sorry,OT!

Maybe we can expect a new jet e.g. Global 5000 / Falcon / BBJ in the Hornbill fleet soon since their 605 and Citation X do not have the range to reach to BEY.

Personally, I hope Sarawak goes it alone on this, if at all

If any Sabah businessmen deem it as a rewarding investment, by all means go for it

But please let the Sabah state coffers be spared - we're not particularly flushed with cash as it is already :)

Personally, I hope Sarawak goes it alone on this, if at all

If any Sabah businessmen deem it as a rewarding investment, by all means go for it

But please let the Sabah state coffers be spared - we're not particularly flushed with cash as it is already :)

I'm sure Sabah Government is far smarter than those in Sarawak. I truly hope Sabah sets up one on its own as I think it's got potential, and I have confidence they know where to find the right expertise to set an airline up. Sabah also got the right tourism offerings to attract visitors so many ticks in the right boxes.

I have zero confidence in Sarawak Government.

I think Singapore have enough money to buy Sarawak. :clapping:

Singapore got money to buy Sarawak? :rolleyes: Do think twice... If Sarawak got 100% ROI on the natural resources sold rather than pathetic 5%, I think every city and every town of Sarawak can have the Twin Towers erected.

Singapore got money to buy Sarawak? :rolleyes: Do think twice... If Sarawak got 100% ROI on the natural resources sold rather than pathetic 5%, I think every city and every town of Sarawak can have the Twin Towers erected.

Yeah... that's the problem... People seems to be happy to accept an ROI of 5%.

They were re-elected recently :pardon:

I didn't vote for them.

I'm sure Sabah Government is far smarter than those in Sarawak. I truly hope Sabah sets up one on its own as I think it's got potential, and I have confidence they know where to find the right expertise to set an airline up. Sabah also got the right tourism offerings to attract visitors so many ticks in the right boxes.

I have zero confidence in Sarawak Government.

Interestingly as a matter of discussion, if Sabah really starts its own airline, what aircraft would you like to see them fly?? Personally I think the E190 is a sexy plane.

Interestingly as a matter of discussion, if Sabah really starts its own airline, what aircraft would you like to see them fly?? Personally I think the E190 is a sexy plane.

I think MASwings should split up into Air Sarawak and Sabah international airlines (SIA).

air sarawak should then get 10 787s mentioned above and start 2 weekly kuching-bintulu-manado-jayapura-port moresby-papeete-lima-mexico city-vancouver. Also will do 1 weekly flight to ALA via KUA and KUL (for Najib).

good link to Taib's family/escape hole in canada via nice beach resort in tahiti....and not forgetting the regional BIMP-EAGA links too. taib can go do more logging in POM on the way.

additionally, the OW thing also kicks off with service to their hubs. what for connect via sin?

maybe i should quit my job and do this instead!

SIA on the other hand, will start daily BKI to SIN, BKK, BWN, KUL, CGK, MNL, HKG, NRT, ICN, PVG, PEK, CAN, LHR (via DXB), SYD, MEL - concentrating on high growth areas.

Er, OMG - this sounds soooo familiar

I think MASwings should split up into Air Sarawak and Sabah international airlines (SIA)

Hope they leave MASWings alone and avoid another disruption ala FAX

The RAS is still an essential part of life here

Fernandes sees ‘fantastic year’ ahead for the low-cost carrier

KUALA LUMPUR: Despite poor financial results from the major local airlines, AirAsia Bhd group chief executive Tan Sri Tony Fernandes remains “very bullish” on the sector.

Fernandes believes that “2012 is going to be a fantastic year for AirAsia”.

“I think for the joint collaboration with MAS, there’s always scepticism but I am very bullish. I think we are going to have a very strong airline sector and 2012 is going to be a great year for both airlines,” he said.

He remained mum about what both airlines had up their sleeves but said he was happy with the quality of work done on both sides.

“It depends on how you view AirAsia - as a short term player or a long term player. People forget that we are 10 years old and we have had to fight so many battles in the first 10 (years). The next 10 (years) will be a lot easier,” he said.

AirAsia will hit its first decade in business on December 8.

“I’m optimistic, I have a smile on my face. Sure, we are not entirely happy with what happened at Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd but I am still very bullish on the industry,” he said, noting the recent hike in passenger service charge.

Earlier this week, AirAsia Bhd announced a net profit of RM152.3mil for its third quarter, compared with RM327.29mil in the same quarter last year while Malaysia Airlines (MAS) reported a net loss of RM477.6mil compared with RM233.23mil net profit last year.

“I think the results are fantastic. We have debts denominated in US dollar and every quarter, they re-state that debt and since the ringgit has weakened, the debt has grown,” he said.

“The operating income has increased by 2%, yet Petronas has increased fuel by 40%,” he said, but added that the operational growth “shows the strength of the underlying business and robustness of the model”.

Source