MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin Yii

MH no:6 tyre burst

another one, that's two times this week for 9M. did we get cheap tyre or something

Azuddin

aiyo again.

Something must be wrong, if its not the pilots fault banging the landing too hard then it might be problem with the tyres.

What brand does plane tyres carry? those Bridgestone, Michelin ar?

aiyo again.

Something must be wrong, if its not the pilots fault banging the landing too hard then it might be problem with the tyres.

What brand does plane tyres carry? those Bridgestone, Michelin ar?

AFAIK, Airbus are fitted with Michelins, correct me if I'm wrong. Concorde uses Michelin too. I didn't know Bridgestone produce plane tyres :blink:

MH pilots + Airbus A330 = Smooth and graceful landing :lol:

Well, there must be something that cause all these punctures. If it's not the pilot, tyre or runway, then what else ah?

another one, that's two times this week for 9M. did we get cheap tyre or something

Azuddin

Maybe :lol: Sime Tyres! LMAO!

Cheers,

I didn't know Bridgestone produce plane tyres

Yup, they do. Michelin and Bridgestone are two of the largest producers of a/c tyres.

from many pictures is saw, most aircraft worldwide uses michelin. anyway, What type of A/C that MH had the tyre blown?

did anyone planted nails on the runway :lol: :lol:

Azuddin

buatan malaysia tire are liek this one... :mellow:

Have faith in Malaysian products...they still churn out one of the healthiest oil's in the world..i.e Carotino which is heavily marketed here in Dubai as well as other gulf states.

AFAIK, Airbus are fitted with Michelins, correct me if I'm wrong. Concorde uses Michelin too. I didn't know Bridgestone produce plane tyres :blink:

MH pilots + Airbus A330 = Smooth and graceful landing :lol:

Well, there must be something that cause all these punctures. If it's not the pilot, tyre or runway, then what else ah?

Maybe :lol: Sime Tyres! LMAO!

Cheers,

Concorde tyres are specially made. They run at a higher pressure then normal aircaft tyres. The reason is because they rotate up too 180knts I believe.

Just read it on newspaper..A MH330 takeoff at 11am and landed on 2.30pm in China Bai Yun International AIrport. When the airport workers are contacted, A330 had taxied to the 109 for parking.. :)

"Burst" tires are normally not caused by the tires, but by the brakes. The brakes gets so hot, the tires get hot too. There is a fuse that will melt and deflate the tires if the heat get above certain level. The AK incident in KCH was almost surely due to heavy braking.

Just imagine the energy of stopping a landing aircraft, say 45 tons at 140 kts. Lots of kinetic energy converted to heat.

from what i've learn from an ex airliner pilot..average cooling time for the brakes = 45 mins... hence AK turnaround time = 25 mins.. go figure?

Anyone heard of Fung Keong rubbers? Hehehe.......and no they are not on SQ fleet. We use Michelin Air X.

Yup have heard of it.

Hence, the natural brakes cooling they are doing now on AK and one of the leased A333.

Hence, the natural brakes cooling they are doing now on AK and one of the leased A333.

I suppose the leased A333 is the one with MH ?

I do recall that one of their A333 is not equipped with the brake cooling system.

tha same thing happen to NWA A333 when landing at NRT. the plane is one month old when it's happen, so it's under waranty. why mainly airbus has this problem with tyre and landing gear? remember JetBlue A320 landing at LAX?

Azuddin

"Burst" tires are normally not caused by the tires, but by the brakes. The brakes gets so hot, the tires get hot too. There is a fuse that will melt and deflate the tires if the heat get above certain level. The AK incident in KCH was almost surely due to heavy braking.

Just imagine the energy of stopping a landing aircraft, say 45 tons at 140 kts. Lots of kinetic energy converted to heat.

Yea..the chinese newspaper also mentioned that the brake system also 'rosak'..

Walter, it's chinese newspaper....

Emmm.... Fung Keong rubber. Got to hear it first on a 'selipar Jepun' (Japanese sandals?) back in the 1980s. Then came with a much better name i.e. FKR on tyres for "kapchai" (mopeds) motorcycles :mellow:

By the way, Sime Tyres had an advertisment many years ago on TV. It showed a MAS B747 landing..supposedly using Sime Tyres, followed by scenes of a 7 series BMW braking to avoid a snake on the road. I wonder if Sime does actually make aviation tyres, especially for widebodies?

I saw a Bridgestone tyre on a B747 wing gear demo model at LIMA 2005. It was only then that I got to know Bridgestone makes tyres for planes.

I read a long time ago that planes also use retreads or 'tayar celup'!

But we all have to agree that any material that related to rubber are mostly from Malaysia :blink: ..........I assume that most airplanes tyres are from Rubber plantations of Malaysia( aka Kebun getah) :lol: as Malaysia is the biggest rubber manufacturer, I guess <_>

May be I wrong :(

I've also heard a similar issue resulted in a loss of a caravelle aircraft - with no survivors. Apparently the pilot had decided to use full power taxing down the runway to clear the fog for improve visibility before turning around for take off.

If I am not mistaken, braking caused an air crash once. It was foggy, and instead of waiting for the fog to clear, and the pilots used they engine thrusters to "manually" clear the runway fog. They went up and down the runway, while applying the brakes.

After takeoff, the heat from the brakes started the tyres burning, and the plane went down.....

Sign in to follow this