MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
affendi osman

MH To Charge Seat Booking Fees!

MH seems too desperate to get more money

Now, we need to pay should we need to reserve seats for our flight!

•Wish for an aisle seat for easier access?

•Love the cinematic bird’s-eye view of cities from the window?

•Consider flying alongside your family and friends part of the fun?

Now you can enjoy the flexibility of selecting your preferred seat when flying Economy on domestic flights with Malaysia Airlines. You can choose your seat for free 48-hours before departure using our web check-in service.

To ensure you get the seat of choice way in advance, you can also select your seat when you book online or through our Manage My Booking facility at a nominal fee.

Aiyaaaa.....Now Everyone Can Become AIRASIA...........

Edited by affendi osman

When did this take effect? No wonder I was forced into a middle seat on my KUL-LHR flight earlier this week! It was horrible, and the person with the window seat slammed the window shades shut as soon as the plane became airborne. This remained closed all the way till just before landing at LHR - it was a night flight all the way anyway, but it would have been nice to at least see something beyond a solid window shade.

How much is this nominal fee? And does it really apply even for a window seat?

KC Sim

This does not make sense in the way that MH is supposed to be a full service carrier, not a LCC. No we have to pay just to sit with our family?? Sigh

Looks like MH is getting crazy with the LCC concept. I took Emirates recently, and I can even choose my seats even though it is a promotional price. Shame on MH..

What the? Being a full service carrier and one that brags itself as a 5 star carrier..surely they could just increase the flight fares by RM5 rather than classifying it separately as seat booking fees..no?

5-Star airlines .. HAHA !!

http://seat.malaysiaairlines.com/

1. When and where can I purchase preferred seats?

You can purchase your preferred seats in advance when you book online at malaysiaairlines.com anytime before check-in commences (which starts 48 hours before flight departure). The option to purchase will be offered when you make a seat selection during the online booking process and seats are assigned separately for inbound and outbound flights.

Alternatively, you can purchase a preferred seat by retrieving your booking via Manage My Booking facility anytime before check-in commences.

2. Which seats are considered preferred seats?

Preferred seats are any seat in the Economy Class cabin except the first row seats or emergency exit seats (which are subjected to additional safety criteria).

3. On which flights can I select preferred seats?

Preferred seats are offered in Economy Class on all Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei routes. They are only available on flights operated by Malaysia Airlines.

Preferred seats are not available on international flights, flights operated by MASwings, and flights with segments involving international or MASwings flights (e.g. London-Kuala Lumpur-Penang, Kuala Lumpur-Miri-Mukah).

4. How much will I be charged?

You will be charged a fee of MYR 10.00 for each passenger per segment or city pair. For instance, if you purchase a preferred seat for your one-way Kuala Lumpur to Penang flight, you will be charged MYR10.00. If you purchase a preferred seat for both the inbound and outbound segment of a return Kuala Lumpur to Penang flight, you will be charged a total of MYR 20.00.

For Singapore and Brunei routes, price quoted will be in local currency from point of departure. For instance, for a one-way Singapore to Kuala Lumpur flight you will be charged SGD 10.00.

5. Can I purchase a preferred seat when I check-in?

You are not allowed to purchase a preferred seat during check-in. Please note that during the check-in period (48 hours prior to departure), you can select your seat free of charge but your choice is limited to available seats. There is no assurance that you and travel companion will be seated together and that you would be given seat preference.

6. If I cancel or change my booking, can I get a refund or transfer the seat?

Preferred seats are non-refundable, as well as non-transferable between flights or persons. Please note that each change to preferred seat reservation is chargeable, and previous fees paid are not refundable.

7. What will happen to my preferred seat if the flight is cancelled?

If your flight has been cancelled due to circumstance beyond the control of Malaysia Airlines or in cases of aircraft change due to operational reasons, we will make best effort to place you in the same or similar seats on the alternate flight.

8. Am I guaranteed to get the preferred seat I purchased?

Malaysia Airlines reserves the right to block off selected seats. Preferred seats purchased cannot be guaranteed since they may need to be changed for operational, safety or security reasons, even after boarding the aircraft. Situations where this is applicable include flight cancellations and disruptions, aircraft change and flight retiming of Malaysia Airlines-operated connecting flights. No refund will be given in such cases.

9. Can I use my Enrich miles to redeem preferred seats?

Sorry, you are not allowed to redeem preferred seats using your Enrich miles.

10. Are preferred seats available to Enrich Platinum or Gold members for free or at a discount?

No, the fee of MYR 10.00 is applicable to all passengers, including Enrich Platinum and Gold members.

11. Who is not eligible to purchase preferred seats?

Preferred seat purchase is not available for:

All unticketed passengers (e.g. those travelling on a cruise or packaged holiday who have not yet received confirmation of their ticket numbers from their agent)

Children travelling alone (unaccompanied minor)

Passengers traveling with infants

Passengers travelling in a group of more than nine persons

Passengers travelling on flights not operated by Malaysia Airlines or flights operated by a codeshare partner

Passengers with immobility or requiring special needs

50% off introductory offer for MHlow, MHbasic and MHsmart passengers when booking online. FREE for MHflex, Business and First Class passengers.

MH now start making easy money.

This is a good move actually. A few things to clarify:

1) Previously, for domestic flights, one cannot choose seat if he books his ticket under discounted fare tiers, MHlow for eg. If one wants to book a particular seat, he has to choose MHflex, which is the full-fare Y class. It is now possible to book MHlow (V,L class) tickets and book a seat in advance.

2) It is still possible to choose seat during online check-in, no fee will be incurred.

I had been booking quite a number of sectors on MHlow fares and do online check-in early to ensure I get the seat I want. I am happy that MH now offers the option for passengers to book their preferred seats during online booking even for discounted fare tiers.

Total utter puke inducing piece of news. I feel ashamed for MH.... this one even tops the snack box fiasco! For me, 'the only way is down'.. 5 star spin at budget price. For the price of RM5, I now do not wish to see MH to successfully recoup its domestic loses from AK, new 738 bird or not! =@

It is not that I had pre-booked domestic seat before, but the whole degrading pay-as-you-choose concept for an FSC, for non-premium seat, in a short flight, that really makes this pure nonsense. Only provocate rather placate customers.

Edited by V Wong

Where is the finesse expected of a 5 star rated carrier ?! :rolleyes:

One has to start wondering why bother incurring effort and costs of having Firefly as a separate entity, ostensibly the LCC arm, when the parent is working so very hard to attain the same status anyway :p

Total utter puke inducing piece of news. I feel ashamed for MH.... this one even tops the snack box fiasco! For me, 'the only way is down'.. 5 star spin at budget price. For the price of RM5, I now do not wish to see MH to successfully recoup its domestic loses from AK, new 738 bird or not! =@

It is not that I had pre-booked domestic seat before, but the whole degrading pay-as-you-choose concept for an FSC, for non-premium seat, in a short flight, that really makes this pure nonsense. Only provocate rather placate customers.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. You can still choose your seat for free during online check-in, no matter what fare your ticket is. But if you want added piece of mind and confirm the best seats in the house on the cheaper tickets, an RM 10 seat booking fee isn't that much. It's not like they're forcing the booking fees down our throats.

How much revenue MH expect to generate from this seat selection? Why can’t MH include RM10 to the fare? MH is planning to have zero fare (plus surcharge) promotion? :sorry:

:drinks:

Why can’t MH include RM10 to the fare? MH is planning to have zero fare (plus surcharge) promotion? :sorry:

:drinks:

Will it be better for MH to secretly increase all ticket price by RM10 to include seat selection, so it will look like they are offering seat selection for everyone without extra cost and everyone will be :yahoo: ?

By the way, SQ charges passengers USD50 per sector for "preferred seat". Does it make SQ less 5 star an airline?

Nothing new, even CX is charging those 'hot seats' a while ago. There are a few other legacy carriers (could not remember the names) already made tonnes of money from this revenues ......... What is wrong with MAS doing the 'standard' industry practice? ........ :blink:

:hi:

Currently, MH don’t permit selection of emergency exit seats citing additional safety criteria. Does it mean other airline that permits is compromising safety requirement? :pardon:

Will it be better for MH to secretly increase all ticket price by RM10 to include seat selection, so it will look like they are offering seat selection for everyone without extra cost and everyone will be :yahoo: ?

By the way, SQ charges passengers USD50 per sector for "preferred seat". Does it make SQ less 5 star an airline?

Don't think so. People want cheap fares and don't care about the frills until the moment they don't get them. That's why they went to great lengths to highlight all the frills that they offer in their ad campaign.

I don't mind paying ' extra ' for the ' hot seats ' like emergency exit, and first row , but to choose any seat ? come on , get real !

This is truly ridiculous !

God knows what they're thinking really !

They should advertise this on their facebook page ! :)

hey , i need help you see i am flying on 15dec to kunming i am going with a tour company and i am siting MAS . so they will throw far away from my family? like my family sit in row 12 and i sit in row 5?

You need to check the details! SQ charges USD50 for REAL preferred seats, i.e. seats which offer extra legroom, exit row seats, etc. Not any generic Y seats. MH SPECIFICALLY excludes such exit row seats from its definition of "Preferred" seats that one may pay for!

Nothing new, even CX is charging those 'hot seats' a while ago. There are a few other legacy carriers (could not remember the names) already made tonnes of money from this revenues ......... What is wrong with MAS doing the 'standard' industry practice? ........ :blink:

:hi:

When AK introduced its hot seat and seat selection fee, there was a general uproar of protest. Now, now.. when a so called 'legacy carrier' offers non-exit row seat, on short domestic hop, for double the price, there is consent...i should also be :blink:

Maybe some management honcho in MH contracted GPI to allow this crazy idea to go through...

Edited by V Wong

I'm a little disappointed that MH have decided to charge passengers to select their seats in Economy on domestic flights but I think it looks far worse than it actually is. When you purchase MHLow and MHBasic fares, you can't select seats. It's actually nice (and appreciated) that I can pay a small fee to select my seat on deeply discounted tickets. You don't have to pay to select your seats in Business or MHFlex. Think of British Airways that have the audacity to charge GBP25 to select seats in Business Class!!!! :angry:

I actually think it's a good idea not to allow people to book exit row seats because they really should be reserved for people who need them and the only way you can assess that need is when people physically check in (eg. if they're very tall and need the extra legroom or are incapacitated in some way and can't help in times of anemergency).

You need to check the details! SQ charges USD50 for REAL preferred seats, i.e. seats which offer extra legroom, exit row seats, etc. Not any generic Y seats. MH SPECIFICALLY excludes such exit row seats from its definition of "Preferred" seats that one may pay for!

I know that. My point of argument is to point out that the other 5-star airline is also charging passengers for seat selection (hot, preferred or whatever we call it), and a lot of us here are poking fun at MH 5-star status. :drinks:

I'm a little disappointed that MH have decided to charge passengers to select their seats in Economy on domestic flights but I think it looks far worse than it actually is. When you purchase MHLow and MHBasic fares, you can't select seats. It's actually nice (and appreciated) that I can pay a small fee to select my seat on deeply discounted tickets. You don't have to pay to select your seats in Business or MHFlex.

Previously they did not charge passengers for seat selection in Economy on domestic flights, simply because passengers are not even allowed to select seat during booking unless they fly on MHflex. MH now offers the option for passengers to select seat for MHlow for a small fee, and we complained. :pardon:

I think there is some bug in their booking system, hence we are still unable to select seats under MHLow and MHBasic fares. (I've encountered problems with their online booking system previously. MH should really brush up its IT department.)

Sign in to follow this