MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sharil Abdul Rahman

Air Asia X wins approval to serve Paris

Datuk Seri Najib is a good thing for Airasia?

AirAsia granted landing rights in Paris

By CHOI TUCK WO

PARIS: AirAsia Bhd has been granted landing rights in Paris, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said here.

He said this was conveyed to him by French President Nicholas Sarkozy during their meeting at Elysee Palace in Paris on Wednesday.

“The details will be worked out by the officials later,” he told Malaysian journalists before flying home later Wednesday night.

The French leader had given his approval for the budget airline to land at Orly Airport, southern Paris, barely 24 hours after Najib had raised the matter with French Prime Minister Francois Fillon.

Najib had noted in that meeting that AirAsia was the Airbus A320’s biggest customer in the world.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/10/8/nation/20091008102257&sec=nation

Time to pack all these fake wallets/watches/DVDs/CDs and head for Paris! :p

AX is given rights toland at Orly - but its pretty near Paris so not a problem - but not sure if this sector have enough load to justify it - and AX cant do it non-stop with its A333s and have limited A340s to run the service.

On whether if its a 24 hr decision to allow AX traffic rights into France - believed this process/request have been int he works for some weeks already and could well be a part of the negotiations with Air Asia buying Airbus planes.

On whether if its a 24 hr decision to allow AX traffic rights into France - believed this process/request have been int he works for some weeks already and could well be a part of the negotiations with Air Asia buying Airbus planes.

I tend to believe so, and if a French nuclear reactor thrown in, I'd believe even more. :)

AKX could have gone to Paris-Beauvais airport, a hub for RyanAir. Better low-cost connections to other European points than Orly, where Easyjet flies to.

Edited by Naim

Also @Dr Naim: I find easyjet a bit more cheerful to fly with than Ryanair. Just my opinion :)

I agree. Anyway when I used Easyjet last spring, I tweeted (via twitter.com) about the baggage restriction, and within minutes, a customer service guy tweeted back. I was amazed!

Earlier on, it was mentioned that D7 is looking to serve 2 points in France in 2010, one of which has been confirmed as Nice. So Paris-Orly should complete the equation. Whatever style D7 chooses to serve both Nice and Paris-Orly, whether non stop from KUL, via one stop in AUH, with A343 or A333, it is very clear that MH will be on the losing end even more.

I think MH has fight for a daily landing right for years but couldn't get it until a couple of years back, but then the economic condition didn't warrant for a daily B772 flight into CDG until now. Service into CDG has been ranging from 5-6 weekly flight depending on demand. One thing for sure, travellers can expect more promotions, discounts and cheaper fares to France on MH soon.

AirAsia may get landing rights at Paris Orly

Malaysian low-cost carrier AirAsia may get landing rights at Paris's Orly Airport.

During a visit to France Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak told journalists he raised, with the French Government, the issue of AirAsia's application for landing rights at Orly, according to national news agency Bernama.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon also reportedly told Razak that AirAsia has been granted landing rights "outside Paris", although the report did not specify airports.

Najib reportedly said the carrier's application for landing rights at Orly was appropriate given that AirAsia, the parent of Air Asia X, is a big customer for Airbus A320 aircraft, some of which are produced in France.

AirAsia has over 100 Airbus A320s on firm order, though it has deferred 16 A320s due for delivery in 2010 and 2011.

If AirAsia gets rights to fly to Paris, the destination is likely to be served by its long haul, low-cost unit AirAsia X. AirAsia X operates five Airbus A330s and has 33 aircraft on firm order: 23 Airbus A330-300s and 10 Airbus A350-900s.

I can't understand why AKX is considering NCE as their second european gateway. To make a route viable, they need to have demand on both ends, which is fairly obvious in the case of STN. South of France is hardly a popular travel destination for Malaysians (if you can afford to stay in Cannes, then you can also afford to fly 'normal' airline), while the proud French living in the south generally do not travel far for vacation. I also read in The Star that AKX considers places as far as GVA to be within its catchment area, which sounds pretty ridiculous, as it takes about 6 hours by high speed train TGV.

IMHO Frankfurt Hahn makes much for sense. I'm trying not to be biased since I now live 90 minutes away from it, but HHN catchment area is HUGE - Frankfurt, Cologne & Dusseldorf in Germany, Luxembourg, Maastricht in Netherlands, southern Belgium, Lorraine in northeastern France, with a total population of easily tens of millions - are all within 2 hours' drive. Plus, Germans travel to Malaysia & Thailand for vacation a whole lot more than the French, and while Malaysians can take advantage of Ryanair's huge presence in HHN for connection to other european cities.

hahn-airport_map.gif

ORY has a much better connecting possibilities compared to Beauvais, which is not even considered a hub by Ryanair. Transavia and Easyjet both have large presence in ORY. The choice between ORY and NCE is obvious.

Well, there´s one thing that makes me curious!

How do they get slots at ORY ?????????????????

It´s nice if you have traffic rights but disappointing if you can´t use them !

@ Keno Omar

HHN would make sense due to the reasons you already mentionned. But HHN is actually not prepared for transit traffic.

There are no airside transit facilities so all passengers must pass through immigration to reach check-in for their onward flight. That would be a NO-GO for all those heading for non-Schengen countries without a transit visa !!!

Surprised nobody posted this:

"AirAsia X had initially considered launching a route from Kuala Lumpur to Nice, France, next year but with this latest news, the airline will re-calibrate its strategy as we now have an opportunity to fly to Paris. We will work closely with the relevant authorities to make this flight a reality.”

Azran, CEO Air Asia.

Najib managed to wangle something from Sarkozy? Maybe in exchange for more submarines? Or more Airbuses?

Or a nuclear power plant, or two?

French travellers might soon be booking low-cost business and economy class flights to Malaysia and beyond.

According to the respected local newspaper Le Figaro, the Malaysian budget airline Air Asia X has won permission from the French authorities to launch twice weekly flights between Paris Orly and Kuala Lumpur.

Services could start as early as October 31. But a report in another local publication, La Tribune, suggests Air Asia X is likely to postpone the launch date until early next year to give it time to market the new route. La Tribune also says that Air Asia X may eventually operate up to four flights a week depending on if and when it takes delivery of additional aircraft.

Air Asia X would be in competition with national carrier Malaysia Airlines although the latter departs from Paris CDG rather than Orly. The Paris-Kuala Lumpur route is not served by Air France.

Paris Orly is the French capital’s second airport after CDG. But Orly has an advantage over CDG in that it handles a greater range of domestic services. These will enable travellers from all over France to connect with the new Kuala Lumpur service.

Travellers from Paris Orly will be able to make onward connections with the budget carrier to a wide range of destinations in Asia and Australia.

Air Asia X passengers originating in Asia and Australia will, once the route is launched, be able to include both London (the carrier’s other European destination) and Paris on their itineraries.

The carrier has yet to make an official announcement so no schedules are available and it is unclear whether or not the flights will operate non-stop. Much will depend on the plane type as the carrier's two A340s (which can operate non-stop from Kuala Lumpur) are utilised on the London Stansted route. Air Asia X has a number of A330s but these would require an en route stop in, say, the Gulf region. Both aircraft types feature twin-class (business and economy) cabins.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/air-asia-x-wins-approval-to-serve-paris

It makes me wonder how they will enter the Paris market ...

(not so much when - certainly not at the beginning of winter schedule - rather somwhere at the late first Quarter of 2011 at earliest ... )

Right now both A340´s are just enough to run the STN-route.

It seems only A330´s might be availlable at short notice.

(unless D7 can source 1-2 more A 340´s somewhere ... (but then they´d still need to be configurated to D7 requirements)

Maybe that would give AUH a second chance as an intermediate stop ???

(but personally I doubt D7 will "risk" a 1-stop route)

Let´s wait and see !