MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sharil Abdul Rahman

Air Asia X wins approval to serve Paris

Went to Darwin last year with Jetstar for a weekend at Kakadu. Planning to go there again next year Oct, so timing is good. :-)

Went to Darwin last year with Jetstar for a weekend at Kakadu. Planning to go there again next year Oct, so timing is good. :-)

Too bad, they don't have a FFP, Doc; I guess, you would have been Platinum by this time... :pardon:

Looks like they will be launching ORL-KUL in Paris in the next day or two. Tony Fernandes has already tweeted (after the Abu Dhabi GP) that they are talking to Airbus. So maybe he will be at the launch too.

D7 should be taking delivery of their next A333 (9M-XXH) soon. Its probably waiting for the European Export Credit Guarantees (financing) before being handed over...

Malaysia’s long-haul budget airline AirAsia X will launch a Kuala Lumpur-Paris route — its second stop in Europe — in February next year, the carrier’s chief executive said Thursday.

The airline will start four direct flights to Paris’ Orly Airport weekly from February 14, with one-way promotional fares as low as RM499 (99 Euros, US$160 dollars).

“We have always been enthusiastic in venturing into a new European country since we launched London,” AirAsia X’s chief executive officer Azran Osman-Rani said in a statement.

“The establishment of this new route is a significant achievement for us and is a reflection of our commitment to expanding our international operations further.

The airline said the inaugural flight date was chosen as its Valentines Day gift for those “who want to celebrate the occasion in the romantic city of Paris”.

Approval for the carrier to land in Paris was announced by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak during a visit to Paris last year after a meeting with French President Nicholas Sarkozy.

It will be the second route in Europe for Southeast Asia’s biggest budget airline, after it began a London service in March last year.

An affiliate of regional low-cost carrier AirAsia and Virgin Group, AirAsia X was launched in January 2007. AirAsia and AirAsia X have common shareholders, including AirAsia founder and CEO Tony Fernandes.

-- AFP

Saw Tony Fernandes on CNN and he mentioned that they are looking at the "advanced version" of the A330-200 now as the A340 is "not the optimal aircraft" and the A350 is still a few years away. Could this be the aircraft that they will be using for the Paris and Christchurch services in future?

He might be referring to the latest A330-200 HGW aircraft - something that will improve the range and/or payload. This usually happens late in an aircraft's life as its design is further developed and optimised...

Saw Tony Fernandes on CNN and he mentioned that they are looking at the "advanced version" of the A330-200 now as the A340 is "not the optimal aircraft" and the A350 is still a few years away. Could this be the aircraft that they will be using for the Paris and Christchurch services in future?

He might be referring to the latest A330-200 HGW aircraft - something that will improve the range and/or payload. This usually happens late in an aircraft's life as its design is further developed and optimised...

Darn...are they taking xcellence of their fleet? I hope they put it on another plane!

The poster is up!

76132_482713803544_639133544_5585977_2403718_n.jpg

Love is in the air! L'amour for Less. Euro99/RM499 to Paris. Sale starts 22Nov. 1st flight on Valentine's Day 14 Feb 2011, direct to Paris-Orly airport - convenient 20 minute train connection to downtown Paris. Plus extensive feeder flights to South of France, Italy, Spain, North Africa and even New York/Washington - Azran Osman Rani.

Thanks to God, you have accomplished the final rukun. Btw I thot they had banned FB in Saudi Arabia.

That was just a one off error done by the Saudi's censorship authorities. The blocking was uplifted several hours later on 13 November.

Darn...are they taking xcellence of their fleet? I hope they put it on another plane!

I think that both the A343's will be with D7 for the foreseeable future. Any new A332's that D7 orders (or changes made to their current A333 order) will probably be used to increase their capacity to STN and ORY. We should also not forget that KUL-CHC services will also benefit from being a non-stop service.

Edited by flee

Playing around with AirAsia website. Cheapest KL-Paris I can see is RM1,276 (minus food/baggage). Not bad, but no Europe for us in 2011. :)

Booked ticket for June 2011 - RM 1,524 return with meal and 15 kg baggage.

However, not all was well as the system screwed me up at the payment stage and that resulted in me losing the cheaper promo fare on the ORY-KUL sector. :( If it had gone through, the fare would have been RM 1,424.

Still it is worth it as MH or SQ will charge about RM 5K for a similar economy class ticket.

I managed to resolve the problems with the system glitch. D7 will refund the overcharge. This is good after sales service. Now lets see how long the money will take to come back to me (they promised within 30 days! :)

Good day and thank you for writing in to us.

Let us begin by apologizing for the system glitch we had earlier in the morning and as mentioned by our CEO, the issue has been rectified by our IT team.

However due to the inconveniencies you had to go through, we will be able to offer you a refund of MYR100.

Edited by flee