MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

10 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

There are a lot of Malaysians VFR/ students /Indian subcontinents pax heading to Down Under, the same can't be said for the other way[...]Also, Australian government strict immigration against Malaysian passport holders for past few years make Australia quite unappealing quite recently.

QF just need 1 wide body for SYD/MEL-KUL. Or maybe 0.6 A223 for PER-KUL.

There are a lot of Malaysians/ex-Malaysians living in Australia that make their way back to Malaysia. If they are traveling with young children, none of them will be flying via SIN. MH and D7 and to a certain extent, OD have that market. I don't know if there are a lot of corporate travel from Aussie companies to KL, but if there are, MH handles the lion share of that. Australia ETA is much easier now. About a week to get it approved and most of the time, it's instant if you've previously applied under the new system (via an app) and entered/left Australia.

8 hours ago, Izanee said:

I also don’t understand why KUL fuel operators are all scared of US sanctions? Surely we have petronas who can supply fuel to Mahan air?

I don't think Petronas wants to get sanctioned by US. They won't be able to have any operations/business in the US. Think of all the downstream too, not just your everyday petrol/diesel etc.

5 hours ago, flee said:

The funny thing is that D7 seems to be doing better than them on Malaysia to Australia routes. So the demand is there - just that the Aussie carriers seem to find it difficult to get their business.

From what was reported, it seems like ANZ enjoys premium yield for MH. I don't know if it's the same for D7. But apparently premium yield for MH is not sufficient enough for QF. Demand has always been there. We are almost always maxing out on the seat capacity for our Australia flights. But I assume the competition to entry is quite high for QF - they have to fight MH for premium traffic, D7 for the cheap tickets, and OD - no idea what OD target market is.

9 hours ago, Izanee said:

Yeah KU finished end of October. The QF story is just incredible. They fly  all over ASEAN but avoid KUL. I really don’t get it. surely MNL and CGK are not premium destinations, and I’m sure visa requirements will be quite tough too!

I also don’t understand why KUL fuel operators are all scared of US sanctions? Surely we have petronas who can supply fuel to Mahan air?

they already fly to quite a few destinations including BKK and HKT - are the fuel operators there not using US companies?

I hope RJ will restart the KUL tag on… and it would be great to see IA coming back but with their new 787s!

If petronas is sanctioned by the u.s, most if not all international bank and mnc will not conduct business with it.

2 hours ago, Craig said:

From what was reported, it seems like ANZ enjoys premium yield for MH. I don't know if it's the same for D7. But apparently premium yield for MH is not sufficient enough for QF. Demand has always been there. We are almost always maxing out on the seat capacity for our Australia flights. But I assume the competition to entry is quite high for QF - they have to fight MH for premium traffic, D7 for the cheap tickets, and OD - no idea what OD target market is.

Aussie consumers are savvy and QF is still suffering from reputational damage in their home market. I recall that some domestic air fares are way too high - to fly from SYD to PER is more expensive on Aussie airlines than it is to do SYD-KUL-PER on D7! I guess QF needs super yields due to their high cost base and airlines like MH can comfortably live with those kinds of yields as they operate from a lower cost base.

I guess it is the same with AF - French unions are very strong and they may also have an elevated cost base. Let's hope that Condor returns one day - it would be nice to see what their A339s are like!

Edited by flee

13 hours ago, Izanee said:

Nobody can provide fuel to sanctioned countries or risk having some form of restriction impose. While sanctions on Petronas may look miniscule on paper it will effect the economy as a whole cause everything like supply chain, private businesses and vendor support are linked. It was also the reason why we're seeing China partially contracting recently.

Indonesia suffered the same when there was partial trade embargo in the 80s to mid 90s.

For Malaysia to sing the same tune and ignore the elephants one must have resilient mass local consumption, strong manufacturing, variety of economic activities and strong export but til now we're still pretty much import reliant+low labor focused.

Thanks guys, it makes more sense now. It’s the whole operations of petronas that will be under scrutiny and sanctions. 

the Thais are happy to provide fuel for Mahan. I guess they are not too reliant on their oil companies in terms of overall country revenue and bailouts of GLCs! they do have a huge domestic market as well which helps I’m sure. 

7 hours ago, flee said:

Aussie consumers are savvy and QF is still suffering from reputational damage in their home market. I recall that some domestic air fares are way too high - to fly from SYD to PER is more expensive on Aussie airlines than it is to do SYD-KUL-PER on D7! I guess QF needs super yields due to their high cost base and airlines like MH can comfortably live with those kinds of yields as they operate from a lower cost base.

I guess it is the same with AF - French unions are very strong and they may also have an elevated cost base. Let's hope that Condor returns one day - it would be nice to see what their A339s are like!

Never thought I'd read Aussie consumers and savvy in the same sentence. I can't imagine MNL/CGK being high yield. Have you seen PR's prices between KUL and Australia? Their business fares are comparable to a mid class BK economy on MH.

Condor won't do KUL much good. They need a feed. Condor doesn't have many EU connections beyond FRA other than leisure destinations. Unless they want to target ex-DE market, partners up with MH and use MH for beyond connections at KUL. One of the reasons LH didn't succeed back then was lack of beyond connections at KUL (you get a handful domestic Malaysia) and rather dated aircraft (343/346) and product. They have 789s coming - those might workout better for them.

Boeing Nears Thai Air Order as Engine Standoff Sinks Airbus

Thai Airways International Pcl is leaning toward awarding a winner-take-all widebody jet deal to Boeing Co. after a rival offer by Airbus SE was thwarted by a stalemate with a key partner.

I think it is mostly an issue with RR's new stance on refusing to cut pricing(and giving commission bribes to airline/aviation execs) on its engine. It's never about efficiency or dispatch reliability levels. 80 B787 looks like another unsustainable crowding in the South East Asian market.

3 hours ago, jahur said:

80 B787 looks like another unsustainable crowding in the South East Asian market.

Thai is highly optimistic of the future 😅. This potential order might even be larger than SQ's 350/787 fleet combined.

MH doesn't need to be like Thai when it comes to aircraft order, but maybe also don't wait till the planes are near the end of life before deciding. Or if they are planning to use their frames for more than 10 years, maintain it properly like CX. 4-5 out of 28 wide-body sitting in the hangar for maintenance isn't ideal.

Edited by Craig

5 hours ago, jahur said:

Boeing Nears Thai Air Order as Engine Standoff Sinks Airbus

I think it is mostly an issue with RR's new stance on refusing to cut pricing(and giving commission bribes to airline/aviation execs) on its engine. It's never about efficiency or dispatch reliability levels. 80 B787 looks like another unsustainable crowding in the South East Asian market.

RR is not strong financially and they need to increase their profit margins - that much was said in their Q3 earnings call. If they keep giving low prices, the company would go bankrupt. I think they had to pause Ultrafan development because nobody selected it for a new aircraft or NEO programme and it cannot fund development on its own anymore.

Interesting time for BKI
Dec 13 to march 3 Jin air upgauge to B772

Dec 23 february 29 seasonal Asiana A333

Both arriving on similar timing. Note for OZ business class seats are not bookable and it seems the entire flight is only open to south koreans.

Edited by jahur

Air Macau Resumes Kuala Lumpur Service From Jan 2024

Air Macau this week filed operational schedule for its planned service resumption to Malaysia, where the airline set to resume Macau – Kuala Lumpur service on 10JAN24. Airbus A320 aircraft will operate this route 4 times weekly.

NX922 MFM0940 – 1355KUL 320 x247
NX921 KUL1455 – 1850MFM 320 x247

The airline previously served this route on regular basis between November 2002 and October 2003.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231215-nxjan24kul

From Aeroroutes' Qatar NS24 changes:

QR 852/853 is extended for NS24 (other than a brief suspension between 10 and 30 March). QR and MH will have 2 daily flights each. (QR 2x 77W, MH 1x350 and 1x330).

QR is dropping PEN on the other hand from 01Jun24 till 26Oct24 (as seasonal QR 840/841 does not operate then).

And FM will increase their PVG-KUL flights from 2x to 3x daily. New schedule:
FM863 PVG0030 - 0610KUL 737 D
FM864 KUL0715 - 1315PVG 737 D

Edited by Craig

Loong Air Adds Hangzhou – Kuala Lumpur in 1Q24

Loong Air in the first quarter of 2024 plans to add new route to Malaysia, with the scheduling of Hangzhou – Kuala Lumpur service. The airline will be offering 3 weekly flights on board Airbus A320 aircraft, from 01FEB24 to 30MAR24.

GJ8035 HGH1100 – 1625KUL 320 246
GJ8036 KUL1725 – 2250HGH 320 246

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231228-gj1q24hghkul

On 9/7/2023 at 8:56 PM, Craig said:

Can you provide examples of those countries having cheaper alcohol than Malaysia duty free islands? And you can't just move the goal post all the time.

The Thai government has announced a tax reduction on local alcohol as part of a wider review of laws hindering domestic tourism and economic growth. Revealed on January 2 at the Government House, Prime Minister Settha Thavisin stated that the restructuring of excise and various national taxes, including reducing domestic alcohol tax to 0%, formed part of their strategy to stimulate the tourism and economy of the country.

Ministry of Finance Secretary Lawan Saengsanit reported the department is ready to announce measures to promote Thailand as a central hub for tourism and spending. The initiatives include adjusting the tax structure on alcoholic beverages and local spirits, as well as considering the abolition of duty-free shops at all inbound airports. The aim is to encourage Thai citizens and foreign tourists to spend and purchase more within the country, rather than from duty-free shops.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-government-cuts-local-alcohol-tax-to-zero-to-boost-tourism-and-economy

Turkmenistan Airlines to "Commence" Kuala Lumpur

Ashgabat - Kuala Lumpur eff 15FEB24 2 weekly B777-200LR

T5803 ASB 0510LT - 0620LT 77L Day 4 

T5801 ASB 1530LT - 0240LT 77L Day 2

T5802 KUL 0440LT - 1030LT 77L Day 3

T5804 KUL 1820LT - 0010LT 77L Day 4 

Great, I was wondering when both would restart KUL services! IA at one point was flying to KUL from Basra via Baghdad … or the other way round… 

sounds like aircraft maintenance may be a bit suspect though!

Edited by Izanee

1 hour ago, Izanee said:

Great, I was wondering when both would restart KUL services! IA at one point was flying to KUL from Basra via Baghdad … or the other way round… 

sounds like aircraft maintenance may be a bit suspect though!

Love KUL for having all these exotic airlines. I think the maintenance is jointly undertaken by IA with Boeing team. so we are safe in this aspect.

Before covid-19, after mas exited European market, mas was vouching to expand greater china routes. With more prc airlines flying to kul, pen, bki, etc from different prc cities and some with wide bodies. Doubt mas could compete in this market and profitable.

A GLC CEO was impressed with ximan airlines Vs mas.

Last year, I travelled to a few Chinese cities from kul conveniently and cheaper on prc airlines.

Edited by KK Lee

19 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Before covid-19, after mas exited European market, mas was vouching to expand greater china routes. With more prc airlines flying to kul, pen, bki, etc from different prc cities and some with wide bodies. Doubt mas could compete in this market and profitable.

Last year, I travelled to a few Chinese cities from kul conveniently and cheaper on prc airlines.

MH is sinking slowly but surely. They used to feature in travel awards but now, their rankings keep slipping every year. Nowadays they only make headlines when they have incidents or disasters! It is no wonder that China's airlines win more market share out of Malaysia - MH set a very low bar for them to compete.

19 hours ago, KK Lee said:

One of the reasons is because Mainland China tourists are now avoiding Thailand due to safety issues i.e. the recent shooting at Siam Paragon shopping mall killed two PRC citizens, this is the must-go shopping mall for affluent PRC tourists. Then quite a number of them were kidnapped by their own fellow countrymen in Thailand to Golden Triangle/ Myanmar borders to be scammer. Also with slowing China economy, the PRC tourists are now picky. They will either spend their money locally (as promoted heavily by local PRC governments) or if they are going overseas, they just want to spend their money on somewhere safer. Singapore and Malaysia are their top choices now in the region. 

If I recall correctly, after the shopping mall shooting, many Mainland China-based airlines cancelled their charter flight. https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2023/11/27/ten-chinese-airlines-cancel-thai-flights-for-december-january-amid-low-tourist-numbers

Originally, 10,939 flights were scheduled for December, but only 5,858 have been confirmed, marking a 46% reduction.

For January 2024, out of the initially planned 10,984 flights, the latest confirmation stands at 7,420 flights, resulting in a 32% drop.

Edited by JuliusWong

23 hours ago, flee said:

MH is sinking slowly but surely. They used to feature in travel awards but now, their rankings keep slipping every year. Nowadays they only make headlines when they have incidents or disasters! It is no wonder that China's airlines win more market share out of Malaysia - MH set a very low bar for them to compete.

Think of Chinese airlines as subsidized Middle East airlines. They want to connect China to the world and they are launching routes left and right without regards to profitability right now. Some routes are head scratcher, e.g. China Southern to Luxembourg (pax, not cargo) and another to Marseille etc. connecting some secondary/tertiary cities in China to secondary cities in Europe/Asia.

55 minutes ago, Craig said:

Think of Chinese airlines as subsidized Middle East airlines. They want to connect China to the world and they are launching routes left and right without regards to profitability right now. Some routes are head scratcher, e.g. China Southern to Luxembourg (pax, not cargo) and another to Marseille etc. connecting some secondary/tertiary cities in China to secondary cities in Europe/Asia.

Yes, a very good point - that was what MH used to do and look at where they are now!

Oman Air to Reduce KUL capacity & frequency 

Oman Air will reduce capacity to some South-East Asian routes including to Kuala Lumpur with the following schedule and aircraft

MCT 0900LT   KUL 2010LT  7M8 Days 2 & 4 

MCT 2045LT   KUL 0755LT  7M8 Days 3 & 6 

KUL  0940LT   KUL 1220LT  7M8 Days 4 & 7 

KUL  2135LT   KUL 0015LT  7M8 Days 2 & 4