MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

London Heathrow LHR Third Runway

wow, it's really hard competition for both airport! I think Gatwick wins!

The government has approved a third runway at Heathrow to expand UK airport capacity.

Ministers approved the long-awaited decision at a cabinet committee meeting on Tuesday.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling called the decision "truly momentous" and said expansion would improve the UK's connections with the rest of the world and support trade and jobs.

He will make a statement to the House of Commons about 13:00.

Both unions and business groups welcomed the decision to expand Heathrow. TUC general secretary Frances O'Grady said it was "absolutely vital for Britain", while CBI chief Paul Drechsler said it would create jobs and boost economic growth.

Heathrow management said the airport was ready to deliver a third runway that was "fair, affordable and secures the benefits of expansion for the whole of the UK".

Expanding airport capacity in the South East of England has been a political hot potato for many years.

Although Heathrow has always been the favourite among businesses, it has attracted the most opposition from MPs with constituencies near the airport or under flight paths.

Zac Goldsmith, the Tory MP for Richmond Park, called the Heathrow announcement "catastrophic" and said he would meet his constituents before making a statement later on Tuesday.

More:

Edited by flee

Not there yet - there is still the parliamentary process and other legal procedures to be followed before any building works can begin. It may take another 10 years to build!

What the authorities could do to increase runway capacity is to reduce the curfew hours a little. Perhaps they could start by reducing the curfew hours from midnight to 6 am to 12.30 am to 5.00 am. As more and more airlines operate new generation, quieter aircraft, they can be allowed to fly in those extended hours. That way, London airports can still increase capacity a little.

London airports and a new runway: Heathrow the business champion but the biggest growth is elsewhere: http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/london-airports-and-a-new-runway-heathrow-the-business-champion-but-the-biggest-growth-is-elsewhere-307562

NIMBYs are so annoying. They buy houses at a lower cost because it is near the airport, and then complain about noise. Even though actually noise levels have reduced over the last decades due to quieter aircraft.

I only believe it when I see it.

This is very much like Brexit itself. Until now we are not sure if Brexit is happening or not.

There has been a lot of oppositions to this new decision.

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, openly opposed this, saying it is the wrong decision. Sadiq is pro Gatwick.

The current government is shaky and does not seems to know what to do e.g. their misinterpretation of referendum on Brexit.

Personally, I think if Brexit is happening, this project is important to stimulate jobs, businesses and economic activities.

If you ask me, I think all of London's airports should be upgraded to two runways before a third runway for Heathrow should be considered. If Heathrow has a lion's share of London's airport capacity, it is a single point of failure. Any incident, whether a plane crash or a terrorist attack, will cripple air links. It is better to spread air traffic more evenly throughout the region. Not all Londoners live in West London.

If you ask me, I think all of London's airports should be upgraded to two runways before a third runway for Heathrow should be considered

Easier said than done - would like to see how you propose fitting in a second runway at LCY and how well that sits with the city planners :D

But seriously, it's just that LHR has such a huge lead over other LON airports connectivity wise, it was always the front runner. West London residents probably constitute a minute, maybe even an insignificant factor in the overall equation

Perhaps an unfair comparison, but locally would we seriously consider ramping up MKZ and/or IPH a few quantum up, at the expense of KUL ? (not that I'm suggesting KUL is in any way near congested as LHR physically)

Looks like LGW will now have to bank on parliamentary and/or legal reverses, aided no doubt by the NIMBYs, to possibly get a second peek

But that will be years down the line, if ever. And then they themselves will come under scrutiny .....

Great, .... Britain :)

Edited by BC Tam

If you ask me, I think all of London's airports should be upgraded to two runways before a third runway for Heathrow should be considered. If Heathrow has a lion's share of London's airport capacity, it is a single point of failure. Any incident, whether a plane crash or a terrorist attack, will cripple air links. It is better to spread air traffic more evenly throughout the region. Not all Londoners live in West London.

Well good thing you are not running for the city planner position. I'd like to know your statistics on "a single point of failure...(that) will cripple air links". Does it happen so often that it's more cost efficient to build more runways at all other LON's airports (including LCY) before a third one at LHR.

And not all passengers flying to/from LON ends/starts in London too ;)

Edited by Craig

Well good thing you are not running for the city planner position. I'd like to know your statistics on "a single point of failure...(that) will cripple air links". Does it happen so often that it's more cost efficient to build more runways at all other LON's airports (including LCY) before a third one at LHR.

And not all passengers flying to/from LON ends/starts in London too ;)

He's on to something here. If BA can split its operations between all 5 airports their on-time performance can be improved tremendously and they'll have more room to grow. I'm sure the minuscule number of connecting passengers wouldn't mind traveling between Heathrow and Stansted to change planes.

Before EK/DXB expansion, LHR claimed to have the largest number of international transit pax in the world. Believe a large proportion of pax especially for BA are transit, and many foreign airline choose LHR instead of other LON airport for connectivity. For LHR to stay relevant, 3rd runway and T6 is essential.

Believe LHR 3rd runway was approved to soften impact of hard Brexit.

Sign in to follow this