MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Wilson Kook

MAHB Aims To Attract More New Airlines To KLIA

So...

SEPANG, Jan 28 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) expects another three to four new airlines, particularly from Asia, to fly into Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) this year.

Senior general manager of operations, Datuk Azmi Murad, said the airport operator had received a lot of enquiries from airlines to fly into Malaysia.

"We have also approached other airlines to come here and look forward to see more new airlines after Iran-based Mahan Air in 2010," he told reporters on the sidelines after the inaugural flight of Mahan Air here Thursday.

He said Mahan Air's presence would increase the connectivity at KLIA, particularly to West Asia.

Mahan Air, the second largest airline in Iran, made its maiden flight to KLIA today, bringing the number of airlines into KLIA to 59.

Azmi said MAHB was confident of attracting more airlines to fly here.

"We can also expect to see the current airline operators increase their flight frequencies and add new destinations through KLIA," he said.

MAHB also targeted passenger volume to grow by five per cent this year from 29.6 million passengers recorded in 2009.

MAHB manages and operates 39 airports in Malaysia, five international, 16 domestic and 18 short take-off and landing ports.

It also has operations in India and Turkey.

-- BERNAMA

What do we say about this.

To be honest,MAHB did repeated this type of news so many times already...and i'm considering it a 'berita basi' (Outdated news),from my POV.

Just my 2 cents here.No offence ya :)

To be honest,MAHB did repeated this type of news so many times already...and i'm considering it a 'berita basi' (Outdated news),from my POV.

Just my 2 cents here.No offence ya :)

Haha. Part of your statement is correct. As far as this article is concerned, there will be some truth in it.

I'm expecting some unknown airline from no-man's-land again.

But they did mention, "particularly asian carriers". ANA perhaps? Haha, let's wait and see.

The problem now is not how many, but how soon. One airline in a few years isn't going to help.

ANA? Who knows,since JAL is struggling.But ANA did fly to KUL before,then operating on code-share basis with MH.

Actually, come to think of it, good number of Asian carriers giving Malaysia the cold shoulder.

Edited by Wilson Kook

Actually, come to think of it, good number of Asian carriers giving Malaysia the cold shoulder.

Well many airlines are not in good financial shape. So they will only fly to destinations where it makes a good profit. So if KUL cannot deliver, they won't come. I remember when I took my first long haul flight out of Subang in the 1970s I chose Qantas. They are now nowhere to be seen at KUL but have chosen nearby SIN as their Asian hub.

Other than AK, many airlines are just doing a PR and diplomatic exercise when operating flights to KUL. So even if new airlines start flights now, they might suspend it later. Economics rule in the airline industry, not ego and pride.

Edited by flee

Well many airlines are not in good financial shape. So they will only fly to destinations where it makes a good profit. So if KUL cannot deliver, they won't come. I remember when I took my first long haul flight out of Subang in the 1970s I chose Qantas. They are now nowhere to be seen at KUL but have chosen nearby SIN as their Asian hub.

Other than AK, many airlines are just doing a PR and diplomatic exercise when operating flights to KUL. So even if new airlines start flights now, they might suspend it later. Economics rule in the airline industry, not ego and pride.

I guess airlines like SQ, TG, EK & CX still make some money coming in to KLIA. But I'm curious bout the European carriers (KLM, Lufthansa). What are their flight loads like?

I guess airlines like SQ, TG, EK & CX still make some money coming in to KLIA. But I'm curious bout the European carriers (KLM, Lufthansa). What are their flight loads like?

Well SQ is feeling the heat and has passed on half the slots to MI. CX seems to be doing well and you can see aircraft being frequently upgraded to 744s instead of the smaller planes that usually ply the KUL-HKG sector.

Yes, I wonder too - so many Euro carriers have disappeared from KUL! I think the last one to terminate their flights was BA.

KLIA is quite a decent airport, but it's still underutilized after so many years..

What is there in Malaysia to attract people to come? It's not a commercial and financial hub like Singapore. It's not a tourist magnet like Thailand.

When they built KLIA, they thought airlines to make a beeline for them. How wrong is that.. Malaysia needs to think beyond airport to attract airlines. Airport is just an airport. It's just an infrastructure.

Edited by Cheng Long

Lol. I think we have lots to offer.

Nasi Lemak & Teh Tarik.

Hahahaha.

Is that so? Then why people are not coming in droves?

Those are just "peanuts", ok, maybe icing.. but where is the cake? The country needs to do something better than that to attract people, not just leisure travelers longing after nasi lemak among other things, but also investors, businessmen and etc. When that happens, naturally the aviation industry will grow.

ANA? Who knows,since JAL is struggling.But ANA did fly to KUL before,then operating on code-share basis with MH.

They flew the 772 into KUL until 2001 if my memory serves me correctly. Then they stopped it briefly and resumed the flight again right after MAHB announced new incentives such as free landing fee, free parking fee etc. The resumption of the flight was very short-lived. If i'm not mistaken, they rerouted it via BKK and despite all the freebies they got from MAHB, they simply couldn't make the numbers work so eventually they gave up.

KL is doing fine. All thanks to their partnership with MAS. Not too sure about LH though.

Edited by Isaac

Is that so? Then why people are not coming in droves?

Those are just "peanuts", ok, maybe icing.. but where is the cake? The country needs to do something better than that to attract people, not just leisure travelers longing after nasi lemak among other things, but also investors, businessmen and etc. When that happens, naturally the aviation industry will grow.

I was being sarcastic :drinks:

They flew the 772 into KUL until 2001 if my memory serves me correctly. Then they stopped it briefly and resumed the flight again right after MAHB announced new incentives such as free landing fee, free parking fee etc. The resumption of the flight was very short-lived. If i'm not mistaken, they rerouted it via BKK and despite all the freebies they got from MAHB, they simply couldn't make the numbers work so eventually they gave up.

Despite the govt. mentioning time and time again that the number of Jap. tourists into KL are increasing. Makes us wonder, did they come here by boat?

Edited by Wilson Kook

So far,only 2 Euro carriers flies to KUL (KL & LH),am i right?

Remember when Finnair plans to fly to KUL,but later cancelled the plan?

OK,here's the list i've made on the airlines serving KUL (with the exception of MH,AK & D7 and cargo operators):

ASEAN

-Singapore Airlines

-Garuda Indonesia

-Vietnam Airlines

-Thai Airways

-Jetstar Asia (LCCT)

-Indonesia AirAsia (LCCT)

-Thai AirAsia (LCCT)

-Cebu Pacific (LCCT)

-Lion Air

-Merpati Nusantara

-Myanmar Airways International (MAI)

-Royal Brunei Airlines

-Tiger Airways (LCCT)

-Silk Air

Oceania

-Air Niugini

East Asia

-Air China

-China Southern

-China Eastern

-China Airlines (Taiwan)

-Xiamen Airlines

-Korean Air (one of the 2 pax destinations served by KE.other pax destination was BKI)

-Japan Airlines

-Shenzhen Airlines

-EVA Air (Taiwan)

West Asia/Middle East

-Air India

-Indian Airlines

-GMG Airlines

-United Airways

-Nepal Airlines

-Iran Air

-Mahan Air (latest operator to KUL)

-Emirates

-Etihad

-Oman Air

-Saudi Arabian Airlines

-Yemenia

-Kuwait Airways

-Sri Lankan Airlines

-Air Mauritius

-Pakistan International Airlines

-Uzbekistan Airways

-Jet Airways (they used to fly A330 to KUL,but later downgraded to B738)

Europe

-KLM (B744,later upgraded to B773ER)

-Lufthansa

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Well SQ is feeling the heat and has passed on half the slots to MI. CX seems to be doing well and you can see aircraft being frequently upgraded to 744s instead of the smaller planes that usually ply the KUL-HKG sector.

Yes, I wonder too - so many Euro carriers have disappeared from KUL! I think the last one to terminate their flights was BA.

Austrian Airlines was the last to terminate IIRC.

They used to ply the VIE - KUL - SYD route.

KLM loads are very good, hence the 'upgrade' from 74M to 77W...

do not forget, though, it's a combination with CGK, making the loads between AMS-KUL-AMS > 95% (yields, I don't know)...

So far,only 2 Euro carriers flies to KUL (KL & LH),am i right?

Remember when Finnair plans to fly to KUL,but later cancelled the plan?

OK,here's the list i've made on the airlines serving KUL (with the exception of MH,AK & D7 and cargo operators):

Hey bro, looking through the list, I think you left out the likes of Cathay Pacific, Egyptair, Air-India Express, Biman Bangladesh, Qatar Airways, Air Astana & Gulf Air.

Edited by Wilson Kook

KL is doing fine. All thanks to their partnership with MAS. Not too sure about LH though.

I think KL is doing ok as well. The load even in World Business Class (at least for the KUL-CGK vv tag-on is always close to 100%). And I think LH should be doing ok as well, since KUL is a tag-on from BKK. I am actually secretly hoping that LH will upgrade KUL to A380 when they operate FRA-BKK (which I believe stands very high on their A380 probability list) and the KUL tag-on with the super jumbo.

KLM loads are very good, hence the 'upgrade' from 74M to 77W... do not forget, though, it's a combination with CGK, making the loads between AMS-KUL-AMS > 95% (yields, I don't know).

Which raise another question, how the market will react once Garuda resumes AMS direct non-stop from CGK with their brand new B77W. But I am optimistic that KLM's AMS-KUL-CGK vv flights will stay for a very long time, especially when MH offers KUL-AMS vv and GA starts CGK-AMS vv - more reason to consolidate both destinations into 1 flight I suppose.

I think KUL has done more than what it can to attract foreign airlines, which can be supported by the arrival of Air Astana, Air Zimbabwe, Mahan Air etc recently. I think the problem with KUL lies with MH. Can you just imagine how prosperous KUL will be if MH is part of any of the 3 global alliances? MH is to be blamed here.

KUL is however, guilty for leg-dragging the construction of facilities to support AirAsia's growth. Other than that, I think the airport has been lowering itself too low to the point of desperation to attract foreign airlines.

Was this 'published' already here ?:

Oman Air during 2010 Summer season is launching 4 new routes: 4 weekly Kuala Lumpur from 01MAY10, 4 weekly to Lahore eff 10MAY10, 3 weekly to Islamabad eff 16MAY10, as well as 4 weekly to Dar es Salaam from 01JUN10.

Schedule as follows:

Muscat – Kuala Lumpur v.v. eff 01MAY10:

WY821 MCT0105 – 1205KUL 332 13

WY823 MCT0930 – 2030KUL 332 46

WY824 KUL0720 – 1000MCT 332 57

WY822 KUL1430 – 1700MCT 332 13

I think KL is doing ok as well. The load even in World Business Class (at least for the KUL-CGK vv tag-on is always close to 100%). And I think LH should be doing ok as well, since KUL is a tag-on from BKK. I am actually secretly hoping that LH will upgrade KUL to A380 when they operate FRA-BKK (which I believe stands very high on their A380 probability list) and the KUL tag-on with the super jumbo.

Which raise another question, how the market will react once Garuda resumes AMS direct non-stop from CGK with their brand new B77W. But I am optimistic that KLM's AMS-KUL-CGK vv flights will stay for a very long time, especially when MH offers KUL-AMS vv and GA starts CGK-AMS vv - more reason to consolidate both destinations into 1 flight I suppose.

I think KUL has done more than what it can to attract foreign airlines, which can be supported by the arrival of Air Astana, Air Zimbabwe, Mahan Air etc recently. I think the problem with KUL lies with MH. Can you just imagine how prosperous KUL will be if MH is part of any of the 3 global alliances? MH is to be blamed here.

KUL is however, guilty for leg-dragging the construction of facilities to support AirAsia's growth. Other than that, I think the airport has been lowering itself too low to the point of desperation to attract foreign airlines.

So desperate, up to the point that they keep adding to the already large pool of unknown carriers from no-man's-land. :pardon:

I can't agree more that MAHB may be stooping too low and may seem desperate, but I guess they have to keep on doing that until they reach a certain level of satisfaction. If only the MoT in the earlier days had a vision and knew how to be competetive, KUL won't be as low as how it is today. If MH were to have been more independent and not rely too much on the subsidies it receives, we will have what SIN and BKK have today. It is true, we don't have the financial hub like SIN does nor the touristic wonders that BKK offers. Our circus has led to us to where we are today, hence MAHB has to stoop as low as it is now.

I think each year, many airlines pull out of KUL and new ones come in, so there is a balance in sustaining the amount of airlines flying into KUL. New routes are sometimes axed, such as IC's KUL-BKK-DEL, AI's KUL-DEL-BOM and many more. The good thing about AK and D7 is that they bring in a lot of opportunites and investments for Malaysia, which some local authorities fail to see, hence the delay in the new LCCT project. Lets hope KL and LH remain in KUL for a long time to come, that the only pride KUL has from the EU. Working on getting an American airline to fly into KUL is not really something to be worked on, more like worthless. So lets enjoy the airlines deemed exotic by our friends who can only dream of seeing in their airports, am I right Pieter ?