MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

Which matters most when selecting a carrier?

Factors that influence your selction  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which matters most when selecting a carrier?

• IFE
    • Seat width & pitch
    • Food (quality & quantity & selection)
    • Cabin crew
    • Frequent Flyer Programme
    • Operating A/C
    • Others

Assuming both Airline A and Airline B offer to take you from point A to B for the same price, which factor will mean that the particular airline gets your business?

For me the age of the plane and the airline's safety record matter quite a bit. So I will only take MAS T7 flights right now... For domestic, I would prefer to use Firefly or AirAsia as their fleet is more or less brand new. Having said that, even brand new planes do crash - one cannot guarantee safety.

It is the combination of all of the above. and someone here has been bragging too much on one item category , yet has failed other categories!

Frequent Flyer Program for me. I think all the other factors cited are also rather important - however FFP affiliation is the deal breaker for me. Last time I flew outside of oneworld or *A was an involuntary rebooking on to Czech after Malev cancelled my flight - subsequently I was able to argue with AA for miles anyway based on 'original ticketed booking' credit. :D

There are also advantages of an FFP beyond a 'free ticket' - things you can't buy like avoiding long queues in whY, lounge access, priority boarding, priority luggage tags, priority seating, priority assistance during IRROPS etc. It's this intangible aspect of an FFP that makes travel just that bit more pleasurable.

If two or more airlines have the same FFP affliation (eg QF vs BA vs CX), then that's where cabin crew and seating come into consideration. And wine list of course. ;)

Edited by Keith T

Me too same as Flee. Other than that, if both of the airlines are offering same price, same qualify of food, i will try the different airlines.

For me :-

1. Airlines I haven't flown before.

2. Aircraft. The bigger the better.

Others not so important.

For me the age of the plane and the airline's safety record matter quite a bit. So I will only take MAS T7 flights right now... For domestic, I would prefer to use Firefly or AirAsia as their fleet is more or less brand new. Having said that, even brand new planes do crash - one cannot guarantee safety.

Yup! i agree with your opininon, if were me i'll prefer the airlines with clean in safety records 2nd is service and quality which provide from the airlines, but most important is the airlines must have a experiences pilots to ensure the safety of the passangers, however some of the airlines are still using the aging aircrafts, but if they have done a proper maintainance with their fleets and with the best trained pilots we will still prefer to onboard with them, for me MH and AK is the best among asia.

In flight entertainment for long haul. I get bored pretty easily and it's a torture to sit doing nothing in a long haul flight. And unlike most people, I can't sleep outside my usual sleeping hours.

So in flight entertainment wins my vote. It keeps me occupied.

I voted for operating aircraft but in reality, foods served onboard and IFE are equally important. I also like to try out new airlines. So most likely you will not see me flying MAS overseas. This way i can compare MAS and other airlines in terms of service and onboard product offerings etc.

Besides the inflight service....i prefer to travel on board young aircraft fleets...the more advance the better

Young aircraft fleet or young air stewardess? :p

Young aircraft fleet or young air stewardess? :p

Cabin crew is rated pretty high in this poll. Though not explicitly, guess young air stewardess is also part of the consideration.

Naturally most people will prefer a young lass rather than a makcik to shower them with Malaysian hospitability.

For me priority will be in the following order:

1) Aircraft type i´ve never flown ...

2) Airline i´ve never flown ...

3) "Assumed" overall service level ! (this includes seat pitch/food/cabin+ground crews)

4) "Assumed" safety level

5) Ticket price

IFE´s are never part of my decision and FFP´s only if i am expecting to fly repeatedly with an airline !

IFE´s are just a nice extra for me but never a condition whether to book a flight or not and i join a FFP only to increase my chances of not getting bumped in case of overbookings. (Enrich may be an exception since i´m expecting to fly MH between Germany and asian destinations more frequently in the future - it depends to a certain degree whether D7 will start flying to Germany or not ... )

Despite there are still some arabian carriers left that i haven´t flown yet i prefer to fly MH in the future (or CX/SQ/TG if their fares are once in a while not "overpriced" ... )

Edited by Juergen Witte

seat pitch and width. nothing else. the rest are just unnecessary advantages. being a frequent traveler now, I prefer to sleep throughout the flight instead.

In real life, rarely something like this happen, it's always either cheap airfare + great airline or expensive airfare + so-so airline. haha.

Edited by Seth K

for me, price.. as i usually go for low cost in uk.. but as price is not one of the factor to be assessed here.. then it would be type of aircraft operated here.. and which airline.. have i been on it before?

for me.. the age of the aircraft isn't a matter to be honest.. sometimes i just feel proud or having the priviledge to be able to be on that aircraft.. so far i havent been on one that is older than me.. (23) lol.. but i guess soon will be as i will be on air seychelles 762..

as i sledom fly revenued or on full-service airline, i guess FFP is not an option i will look at.. IFE would be an option too if long-haul but price overtake if taken into consideration..

Assuming it is a long haul flight, the quality of food must be the next most important factor. No point being given food that will leave me hungry, and I am very choosy about food.

Aircraft type only makes a difference if I am the one in the flight deck.

IFE, just give me a few good movie, and I'll probably sleep the rest of the time.

Seat pitch, maybe it won't make any difference. Haven't fly EY long-haul for a very long time (the benefit of being a crew) but for other classes, they are comfortable enough.

Of course, if I am paying out of my own pocket, the cost-benefit ratio will be the most important factor.

Sign in to follow this