MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

Transformasi PH-BXA

Tomorrow, KLM's 90th Anniversary will be initiated with a joy-flight over the Netherlands with PH-BXA, painted in an early-1960's livery !!!

Here, you can see the transformation of the original- to the nostalgic 'dress'...enjoy:

PH-BXA being towed into the decoration-bay of Hangar 14:

transformati010.jpg

next day ready for striptease:

transformati011.jpg

completely naked:

transformati012.jpg

now tail also stripped:

transformati013.jpg

trying out her new dress:

transformati015.jpg

almost finished (windows still covered):

transformati016.jpg

displaying her full new outfit to the fullest and being prepared for her joy-flight on 01jan2009:

transformati017.jpg

close-up of her engine fitted with a beautiful 90 years logo:

transformati018.jpg

winglet also fitted with logo:

transformati020.jpg

IMHO, one of the best KLM liveries ever: wish all 737's would be like this !!! :good: :pardon:

Lovely transformation photos. :clapping:

Looks like KLM has got plenty of activities and good use of old livery. :drinks:

Spotters there must be jumping up in joy ! :yahoo:

Pieter. My sincere thanx! Love it. And the livery is very detailed right up to the winglets. Congratulations Flying Dutchman on the milestones. :clapping: :drinks:

Nice shots Pieter, thx for sharing the entire process! :)

Here mine of BXA and BQO seen above Leeuwarden (EHLW) today. There was a formation flight planned to fly over the Netherlands today.

Too bad BXA came first and BQO came 2 minutes later, really a missed change for "formation flight". Dont take anything away from the great day KLM organised for all the passengers where it was all about! They maybe had their best day of a lifetime! (Passengers were disabled and diceased kids and some KLM crew). So bravo and salute to the one and only KLM Royal Dutch Airlines!

LWD1.jpg

LWD2.jpg

We all hoped for something like this by me PHOTOSHOPPED version of Leeuwarden sky of today :pardon:

KLMLWD119.jpg

Excellent choice of retro livery by KLM . . . beautifully executed. Thanks for the peek once again of the re-painting of this special livery Pieter. For folks like us who do not work in the hangar, such peeks are very interesting.

Now, I can only hope that KLM takes her celebration onto the global stage by painting some of the widebodies in this retro livery - at least one B747-400 and a B777-200ER.

Did that formation flight actually take place on 1 Jan 2009? I understand weather around the Netherlands wasn't that conducive and I doubt there could have been too many submissions for the photo competition that KLM has organised.

KC Sim

...Now, I can only hope that KLM takes her celebration onto the global stage by painting some of the widebodies in this retro livery - at least one B747-400 and a B777-200ER...

Did that formation flight actually take place on 1 Jan 2009? I understand weather around the Netherlands wasn't that conducive and I doubt there could have been too many submissions for the photo competition that KLM has organised.

KC Sim

Next Boeing 777-306ER will get a Skyteam livery.

The formation flight really was on 1 Jan 2009 with bad weather in most parts of the country.

The formation flight really was on 1 Jan 2009 with bad weather in most parts of the country.

Hence, no formation flight for flight-safety reasons, and only a 'follow-me' was possible... :(

Plans were eventually to cancel the whole deal, but figuring to disappoint the 90 terminally ill kids was too extreme, it was decided to fly this way on an altered routing and altitude...

The North of NL was the lucky part, whereby they could descend below the clouds and become visible for the onlookers.

The South never got a good look as flight there was well over the cloud cover. (at 8000-10000 feet)

No wide-bodies will be painted in retro-colours, KC, so, I guess, you've to make another visit to NL for this one (or be extremely lucky to see it elsewhere in EU)...

My personal opinion old livery is looks better... hehe~

Edited by HanX

Tomorrow, KLM's 90th Anniversary will be initiated with a joy-flight over the Netherlands with PH-BXA, painted in an early-1960's livery !!!

Hehehe...KLM celebrate 90th Birthday same with my birthday as well..

Thanks Uncle Pieter and Cornelis for sharing the pictures..I like the 90 KLM logo..

Uncle,,how long it takes for whole tramformasi process??From striptease to repaint the a/c..

so, I guess, you've to make another visit to NL for this one (or be extremely lucky to see it elsewhere in EU)...

Hi Pieter,

I have not been lucky with ANY retro livery up to this point in time - unless you can count John Travolta's B707 as one - and during my last visit, Finnair's retro A319 came in when the weather was lousy. So I do hope that I could be umpteenth time lucky.

I will be in the Netherlands from 22-25 Jan (will depart AMS-SIN on the SQ flight on 25Jan just to be home in time for the first day of Chinese New Year) after attending SIA's A330-300 handover in TLS. I will also have my first KLM flight ever as Airbus has booked me on the KLM flight around midday on 22Jan from TLS-AMS on a Fokker 100! Could you nearer the dates advise which flights the retro-liveried B738 will be operating . . . just so that I could try extra hard to be in the right place at the right time?

And I have to also pray very hard that I will have sunshine during the time I am in the Netherlands. Thanks for any information you could offer.

KC

Thanks for the excellent transformation pics, Pieter. Congrats to the Royal Dutch Airlines on their 90th Anniversary. I love both the classic and the current liveries.

Uncle,,how long it takes for whole tramformasi process??From striptease to repaint the a/c..

About 1 week all-in-all...

Hi Pieter,

I have not been lucky with ANY retro livery up to this point in time - unless you can count John Travolta's B707 as one - and during my last visit, Finnair's retro A319 came in when the weather was lousy. So I do hope that I could be umpteenth time lucky.

I will be in the Netherlands from 22-25 Jan (will depart AMS-SIN on the SQ flight on 25Jan just to be home in time for the first day of Chinese New Year) after attending SIA's A330-300 handover in TLS. I will also have my first KLM flight ever as Airbus has booked me on the KLM flight around midday on 22Jan from TLS-AMS on a Fokker 100! Could you nearer the dates advise which flights the retro-liveried B738 will be operating . . . just so that I could try extra hard to be in the right place at the right time?

And I have to also pray very hard that I will have sunshine during the time I am in the Netherlands. Thanks for any information you could offer.

KC

Enjoy your Fokker 100 flight !!! It might change to Fokker 70, though, depending on the load and/or technical reasons... :p

Will PM you BXA's schedule on a day-to-day basis to you (if you have access to MW), OK ?

Pieter,

Good News :good:

Finally got to see "De Zwaan" today 20/02/09 (KLM 43L) on a R23 approach @ GLA.

What a magnificent sight.

Lovely retro paint job.

I see GLA is to get a daily visit by KLM Cityhopper "Jungle Jet" (Embraer E-190) from the end of March.

I've read the KLc E-190 fleet is now 3 frames. How many more aircraft are due this year?

Bad News :angry:

Not happy with upcoming AF/KL FFP changes.

Think this will drive many loyal KL customers to * Alliance.

Regards,

Ken

Edited by Ken M.

Pieter,

I've read the KLc E-190 fleet is now 3 frames. How many more aircraft are due this year?

Think this will drive many loyal KL customers to * Alliance.

Ken,

At the end of 2009, we should operate 10 E190's :yahoo:

Here's the expected delivery-table:

EZD end of April

EZE end of June

EZF end of August

EZG end of September

EZH end of October

EZI end of November

EZK end of December

Heard the F50's will also be replaced by the E190's, and after withdrawal of the former, KLC will operate a total ALL JET fleet of 17 E190's + 26 F70's :pardon:

and...

Including me, I've changed as well from FlyingBlue to Bmi's Diamond Club...

Bad news for me too: BD will reduce AMS-LHR v.v. frequencies from 7 flights a day to only 4, cancelling the 1st AMS-LHR and last LHR-AMS flights in the process (no more (extra) long spotting @ LHR possible :angry:

Sign in to follow this