MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Syed A Ridhwan

Airline delivers luggage soaking wet

Airline delivers luggage soaking wet

EARLY in the morning on Dec 8, a group of 30 of us took AirAsia flight AK102 via Kuala Lumpur LCCT to Guilin, China.

It was raining heavily in the Klang Valley since the previous night and it continued to pour while we were boarding.

On the way to the airplane, we saw the passengers’ luggage being transferred to an airplane without any cover at all under the heavy downpour.

In fact, the only thing under cover was the driver of the tractor who was in a raincoat.

Sure enough, after we landed at the Guilin airport, we found most of our luggage soaking wet.

We demand an explanation from LCCT operators as to why such an incident was allowed to happen. Malaysian airports are notorious internationally for their slow and inefficient luggage handling, and now it looks like it is getting worse.

STEVEN C,

Petaling Jaya.

Source

<_<

Happened to my uncle's luggage as well...flight from CAN via KUL...when they arrive in KCH they did not check their bags only after arriving home 45 minutes away in the town of Serian they realized their bags were wet and the clothes inside were wet too...next time I will skin wrapped my luggage before I fly in rainy season....

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Unless luggage is loaded into LD3, luggage is exposed to weather. Frequent travellers normally purchase hard case luggage even for carry-on. Apart from weather, pilferage on soft case is easy.

:drinks:

Last Sunday pm it was raining very heavily at LCCT area, and we were stuck in our AK plane from CNX for 20min. They couldn't even open the door! Anyway our bags all dry, no problem. But the baggage claim area was chaotic due to the sudden arrival of rain-stuck bags, and lack of supervision/info by AK ppl.

x14122008002of3.jpg

And that's the only AK guy around. Pity him, he had his hands really really full. Nobody knew where and when their bags were going to appear!

x14122008005st4.jpg

Last Sunday pm it was raining very heavily at LCCT area, and we were stuck in our AK plane from CNX for 20min. They couldn't even open the door! Anyway our bags all dry, no problem. But the baggage claim area was chaotic due to the sudden arrival of rain-stuck bags, and lack of supervision/info by AK ppl.

x14122008002of3.jpg

And that's the only AK guy around. Pity him, he had his hands really really full. Nobody knew where and when their bags were going to appear!

x14122008005st4.jpg

Talking about AK luggage service were down deep deep into toilet bowl, especially on international flight. Worst still is we pay to get lousy service. all my International flight with check in baggage weren;t impressive. at least gotta wait for 20 mins.

As much i would like not to check in, having no luggage to board aircraft is much a necessity no as other pax will bring overweight luggage on board. AK supervision on this matter is bad.

Talking about AK luggage service were down deep deep into toilet bowl, especially on international flight. Worst still is we pay to get lousy service. all my International flight with check in baggage weren;t impressive. at least gotta wait for 20 mins.

There is no doubt LCCT is over crowed but sometime perception masked the reality. At MTB, first bag on carousel is about 20 minutes after landing and mean time is 40 minute.

I am sure that TF will react as soon as possible because there is someone who complained to The Star regarding this matter.

Unless luggage is loaded into LD3, luggage is exposed to weather. Frequent travellers normally purchase hard case luggage even for carry-on. Apart from weather, pilferage on soft case is easy.

agreed. hard case luggage is more "water proof". however water can still seep thru the gaps. i normally pack my clothes in a plastic bag before putting them into luggage.

i m converting to hard case luggage, and let go of those 2-wheel soft case luggages one by one, after they experience the last of normal handling of checked-in luggages :)

just got a 4-wheeled 28" hard case luggage recently, after used up all the "spare bags" as we over-shopped during that trip :)

Just curious,

In this case, who is more responsible - AK or MAB?

Understand the ground handling is by AK. However, carousels belong to MAHB.

Get one of those Samsonite Oyster hard suitcase. It has silicone 'O' rings all around and should prevent any water seepage in such weather.

I'll be using this new hall next month on another Thai outing. Let's see how it goes.

ny

===

December 19, 2008 21:49 PM

LCCT To Handle 15 Million Passengers Per Annum Once Fully Operational In March 2009

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 19 (Bernama) -- The new international arrival hall at the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) will be able to handle 15 million passengers per annum once it is fully operational in March next year.

In a statement here Friday, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) said the hall, which was operational since Dec 15, would allow international passengers to experience a better and more spacious area.

It said the new arrival hall was part of the RM160 million new wing constructed under the LCCT-KLIA expansion plan.

The new wing is expected to be completed in March next year, it said.

MAHB senior general manager, Datuk Azmi Murad, said the expansion was in line with MAHB's objective to continuously improve its services and facilities to provide better airport experience for passengers and airport users.

LCCT-KLIA currently houses AirAsia, Thai AirAsia, AWAIR, AirAsia X, Cebu Pacific Airways and Tiger Airways.

-- BERNAMA

only the new international arrival hall is currently being used...the old international arrival hall have been vacated and they will merge the current international departure hall with that and it should be pretty big once completed.