MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ahmad Sharilamin

MAS cancel plans to replace 737-400 -report

I meet some staff I knew at MAS building recently and they were upset at the prospect of having to move to Subang if the iconic MAS building is sold, as been heard through the grapevine. What a sad thing if the building is divested after all these years projecting the famous MAS logo in KL's 'golden triangle' skyline, like what PanAm had in NYC in the past.

I also saw one of the foreign consultants, said to be costing so much to MAS for their fees. Oh well...

i feel every year MAS also losing money rite? why this year look like so many controversial happen after this news?

I dont think there were alot tycoon interested with airlines business except one, the owner of Emirates..

WARNING: A very long ramble from me smile.gif

Don't forget, at the end of the day, MAS is not buying these new aircraft.. PMB is!!

I think everyone keeps forgetting that MAS owns none of its fleet!! PMB, of Minister of Finance Inc. is the main company of which MAS leases its fleet!! They are paying leases to PMB now for the B734s, what's the difference if they pay leases on another aircraft type, should they replace the 734 fleet??

The best way to control costs is to look directly at the operating model of MAS... essentially, what we have is a "service", not a company... The government needs to rethink its notion of 'national carrier'... Malaysian Airlines will always be the national carrier of Malaysia, but it doesn't need to service the whims and fancies of politicians... The rural air services can easily be shared amongst the Federal Government, Sabah and Sarawak State governments... The domestic sectors can be shared between Air Asia and MAS... MAS only really needs to address connectivity and have a few additional flights per day for local domestic travelling pax. They need to keep a presence in the domestic market and not give it entirely away to AirAsia, as then you have a monopolistic situation which could be detrimental to the flying public in the long term.

Streamlining the fleet is the best solution!!!!! We have WAY TOO MANY aircraft types in the MAS fleet.. although beautiful for spotters, a misery for engineering and flight operations... we have old aircraft and new aircraft...

The most plausible and economical solution at this juncture is the following: MAS replaces all B734 with A320... this will mean that transfer costs are somewhat minimised due to the interchangeable flight training between A330 and A320 fleets. Furthermore, MAS operates a good number of A330 already which are primarily used for regional ops!!! AT PRESENT, MAS IS FOCUSING ON REGIONAL EXPANSION!! The link is clearly evident.

A320 provides better payload, more comfort, cheaper operating costs. A330 can later be complemented with A350!

The B738 is a beautiful aircraft, but will only fit into the MH fleet if MAS aims to streamline into boeing aircraft...

If MAS opts for the B787 for A330 replacement, additional B777 for medium-to-long haul sectors (perhaps including some ER and LR models) and the B747-800 for the B747 replacement, then we can talk lah... But we've already ordered 6 A380!!! Looks like Airbus is the way to go..

I personally am a fan of the boeing types, but heck.. if it solves financial misery then implement..

GET RID OF NON-ESSENTIAL STAFF AND INVEST IN LOCAL TALENT!!! MAS has the following key assets:

1. High quality and high caliber Pilots (Even other airlines talk about, esp. those from the desert!)

2. Exceptional Engineering Services - the latest drive to promote our engineering services internationally looks fruitful, but more needs to be done.

3. Exceptional Branding - MAS has done very well in this area in the past few years with the "going Beyond Expectations" theme. they should continue. Branding is merely exentuated by the superb in-flight service offered by MAS.

HUMAN RESOURCES ARE THE KEY!! Look after your people and you will succeed!! No need to fill the pockets of people who couldn't give a damn and probably fly SQ at the end of the day.

But, on the same note, the ground staff at KLIA, need to be reassesed... too many people wondering around performing non-essential tasks... invest in some IT lah..

Improve ramp crew efficiency and determine where lay-offs can be made... its an essential tool in restructuring.. they can come back later when time are better..

Improve IT services continually.. this is where investment can pay off!! The computer will ALWAYS do what you tell it to do, whereas the humanoid will do it for one week and slip back into old habits very quickly...

MAS... Mana ada sistem lah.. sad.gif

"MH being sold to owner of Emirates" - those sort of thoughts will entail one heck of a lot of pride swallowing, indigestion and no doubt, political fall-outs ! Refreshing idea though. Perhaps not quite workable yet, but refreshing all the same

I dont think there were alot tycoon interested with airlines business except one, the owner of Emirates..

17930[/snapback]

To Emirates ? Oh no ... I prefer MAS to be sold to a local tycoon.

Don't forget, at the end of the day, MAS is not buying these new aircraft.. PMB is!!

I think everyone keeps forgetting that MAS owns none of its fleet!!  PMB, of Minister of Finance Inc. is the main company of which MAS leases its fleet!!  They are paying leases to PMB now for the B734s, what's the difference if they pay leases on another aircraft type, should they replace the 734 fleet??

17939[/snapback]

Speaking of PMB, i remember i read somewhere a year ago that MAS is not paying for the aircraft leases and PMB should be losing lots of money every year ?

Streamlining the fleet is the best solution!!!!!  We have WAY TOO MANY aircraft types in the MAS fleet.. although beautiful for spotters, a misery for engineering and flight operations...  we have old aircraft and new aircraft...

17939[/snapback]

Well, AF has proven to the aviation industry that you still CAN be PROFITABLE even with variety of fleets.

AF currently have :

- B737-300 / B737-500

- B747-400

- A330-200 / A340-300E

- B777-200ER / B777-300ER

- A318-100 / A319-100 / A320-100 / A320-200 / A321

**Unlike LH, AF don't let their 32S pilots to fly the 332/343 v.v. It means the mainline AF need FIVE types of pilots,

While their fully owned regional airlines got :

- Fokker 100

- CRJ 100 / CRJ 700

- ERJ 120 / ERJ 135 / ERJ 145

- BAE 146-200

- SAAB 2000

**FIVE types of pilots too

Not to forget KLM Royal Dutch Airlines also :

- B747-400

- B737-800 / B737-900

- B737-300 / B737-400

- MD11

- B767-300ER

- A330-200

- B777-200ER

**SEVEN types of pilots, will reduce to only SIX types of pilots when KL retire all of their remaining 763.

The most plausible and economical solution at this juncture is the following:  MAS replaces all B734 with A320...  this will mean that transfer costs are somewhat minimised due to the interchangeable flight training between A330 and A320 fleets.  Furthermore, MAS operates a good number of A330 already which are primarily used for regional ops!!! AT PRESENT, MAS IS FOCUSING ON REGIONAL EXPANSION!! The link is clearly evident.

A320 provides better payload, more comfort, cheaper operating costs. A330 can later be complemented with A350!

The B738 is a beautiful aircraft, but will only fit into the MH fleet if MAS aims to streamline into boeing aircraft...

17939[/snapback]

As far as i'm concerned, pilots at MAS don't like the 333 and MAS 333 dispatch realibility is pretty poor. In the past when MAS was still using 333 for flight MH068 & MH069, i got to fly on the 333 many times and have experienced more delays than my other flights operated by MAS 772. Besides, all MAS 333 are the original version ones which mean they might burn slightly more fuels compared to the enhanced 333 that CX, KA, LH and NW got, but remember, 1% could means millions in a year. So it is the best to replace the 333 also, and 332 (since PMB will be the one paying for them biggrin.gif biggrin.gif )

If MAS opts for the B787 for A330 replacement, additional B777 for medium-to-long haul sectors (perhaps including some ER and LR models) and the B747-800 for the B747 replacement, then we can talk lah... But we've already ordered 6 A380!!! Looks like Airbus is the way to go..

17939[/snapback]

Well, i really hope MAS will (order the B787 to replace 332/333 and order more B777). Even MAS have ordered 6 A380, it doesn't mean MAS won't order the B748 (the chance of ordering this plane is extremely small, i admit. I would prefer MH ordering the 773ER).

Man ... SQ is really good at this ... Even until today, i still believe the MAS management is to be blamed and got corruption inside the company too. That's why they need to privatise it, a.s.a.p. (not to a minister, though)

Edited by Isaac

Speaking of PMB, i remember i read somewhere a year ago that MAS is not paying for the aircraft leases and PMB should be losing lots of money every year ?

Well, AF has proven to the aviation industry that you still CAN be PROFITABLE even with variety of fleets

Air France/KLM is a group of companies!!! The subsidary companies operate independantly of one another and contribute to group earnings seperately... This is a business model that MAS should adopt... the idea of seperating the domestic and international operations is actually not a bad idea!!! They could even develop their own low-cost brand if they wanted.. that would give some compeition to AK... not to mention that neither airline would suffer from poor yields.. i think it will be a case of more people flying more often!!!! We've got the population.. the timing seems right.. promote the national tourism industry, something we can actually do a lot better in given our beautiful country...

The rural services of Sabah and Sarawak should be incorporated into a third subsidary... this will really help cash-flow and deregulate the market a bit and allow for the establishment of other smaller carriers like Hornbill Skyways... Hornbill could be a truly successful company should they expand their company.. they should study some of the regional carriers here in WA like Skippers, Network Aviation and Skywest, don't you reckon Liam??

MAS can be the biggest, most profitable airline in SEA... its just needs the passion behind the drive, thats all!

Edited by Sandeep G

Not to forget KLM Royal Dutch Airlines also :

- B747-400

- B737-800 / B737-900

- B737-300 / B737-400

- MD11

- B767-300ER

- A330-200

- B777-200ER

**SEVEN types of pilots, will reduce to only SIX types of pilots when KL retire all of their remaining 763.

Cockpit-wise KLM has the following "divisions":

M11

737 (can operate old-ng)

(763) to move to 330...

so currently it's six and will become five...

cabin crew has been certified to operate 3 different type...

At KLC, there are two divisions cockpit: F70/100 and F50

for cabin: all crew can operate all 3 types...

737 (can operate old-ng)

18115[/snapback]

Oh, i thought they can't. Thanks for the clarification, Pieter.

M11

737 (can operate old-ng)

(763) to move to 330...

cabin crew has been certified to operate 3 different type...

At KLC, there are two divisions cockpit: F70/100 and F50

for cabin: all crew can operate all 3 types...

18115[/snapback]

Gosh I wanna be a cabin crew of F50. I'm bad at physic and such, so be cabin crew is the next best thing to be close to them for upmost satisfaction LOL. laugh.gif

Air France/KLM is a group of companies!!!  The subsidary companies operate independantly of one another and contribute to group earnings seperately...  This is a business model that MAS should adopt... the idea of seperating the domestic and international operations is actually not a bad idea!!!  They could even develop their own low-cost brand if they wanted.. that would give some compeition to AK...  not to mention that neither airline would suffer from poor yields.. i think it will be a case of more people flying more often!!!! We've got the population.. the timing seems right..  promote the national tourism industry, something we can actually do a lot better in given our beautiful country...

The rural services of Sabah and Sarawak should be incorporated into a third subsidary... this will really help cash-flow and deregulate the market a bit and allow for the establishment of other smaller carriers like Hornbill Skyways... Hornbill could be a truly successful company should they expand their company.. they should study some of the regional carriers here in WA like Skippers, Network Aviation and Skywest, don't you reckon Liam??

MAS can be the biggest, most profitable airline in SEA... its just needs the passion behind the drive, thats all!

18023[/snapback]

Sandeep,

you're my man: fully agree with you here and, as I said before, make a seperate division for regional flights a la AF Regional or KL cityhopper...

and....make more stand-alone divisions within MAS, each with their own PROFIT ballance-requirement (like KLM): catering, engineering & maintenance, flight-division, KLC, ramp-handling are all stand-alond "seperate" divisions REQUIRED to make a profit (they're fighting for contracts overhere at AMS airport, for lot's of customers, and as you can see from my "highlights" reports, especially E&M is quite successful: Atlas, Aeroflot, DBA, Luxair, SkyEurope etc.etc. are all KLM customers)...

Don't know how this works at MAS, but it works for KLM...even the flight-department are "selling" their simulators-hours, just to make that profit...even Transavia.com has that requirement and is leasing-out their 737's during their low-season to SpiceJet, SY in the States and SAA, just to make that "profit" wink.gif

Sandeep,

Don't know how this works at MAS, but it works for KLM...even the flight-department are "selling" their simulators-hours, just to make that profit...even Transavia.com has that requirement and is leasing-out their 737's during their low-season to SpiceJet, SY in the States and SAA, just to make that "profit"  wink.gif

18144[/snapback]

Cheers Pieter,

Thats the way to go!!! its being competitive!! MAS has no one to compete with!!! KLAS in KLIA is somewhat of competition I guess, and AK has proven to show MAS that the airline industry in Malaysia is profitable!!

Let's see what the new CEO Mr. Idris Jala has to say about the state of affairs at MAS in his presentation today.

BTW, its his first day in office today smile.gif Good Luck, Sir! May the force be with you!

Sign in to follow this