MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

KUL-SIN Costs

These days I try and take a bus or a budget carrier to Singapore becuase of the costs of flying once MAS or SQ once or twice a week,

I've just been checking now for a one way next Tuesday and it seems that MAS have increased the fare again :angry:

As per their web site KUL-SIN is now RM 591 inc tax & fees. The base fare is RM300++

If you take a return fare its RM1091 inc tax with base fares of RM240++ per sector.

The availability of the saver fares is almost non existant on this route,

SQ is now charging RM503 for KUL-SIN and RM885 return

The budget airlines are as follows inc tax for KUL-SIN one way

AK - RM197-230

3K - RM164

FR - USD43 (RM145)

In addition JAL are charging RM380 net one way

So MH truly is MAHAL :angry:

I don't know if this makes any sense but flying your own home carrier from base is always an expensive affair. Like for me as a Singaporean, it is dirt cheap for me to fly MAS to UK or Australia via KUL even on JCL. Likewise the reverse would be the same for you if you flew SQ to these destinations via SIN.

SQ is always considered a "premium" for us poor souls on this island state.

Who is FR? FR is the airline code for Ryan Air, and I doubt they are flying SIN-KUL?

Suppose to be TR (Tiger Airways) :)

Suppose to be TR (Tiger Airways) :)

Sorry my typing mistake

Simple, it was probably a full YCL unrestricted fare.

But are there any other SQ 1 way or even return fares available for 1 person?? I'm aware that there is a deal if two people travel together.

Since the shuttle fares stopped MAS and to an extent SQ have raised their fares to an extreme. On this short flight there is little between MAS and the budget airlines in terms or service.

I long for the the day that open sky's allow competition which WE will benefit from.

Robert,

I am only speculating as I have left the airline for quite a few years already.

SQ's SIN-KUL is surviving rather well due to the corporate accounts they have and thus they do not have to charge rock bottom fares just yet to get the seats filled. Therefore after the end of the shuttle agreement this year, the fares didn't seem to change. The only feathers that were ruffled were those of MAS that went southwards with the RM0.00 fares... and then the had the RM8.00 fares... and now finally the RM21.00 promo. I managed to book a return flight on MAS to KUL next Mar 09 for RM8.00 but that promo has since ended.

Occassionally SQ will have GV2 fares at SGD250 all included for a SIN-KUL vv flight so look out for it on their website.

MH is truly MAHAL if Dato IJ is still in the office... :rolleyes:

Personally i dont agree that Datuk Sri IJ at MAS office make this ticket fare MaHal (expensive)..I not expert/well know about this fare structure but as we all know, for past 30 years this KUL-SIN vv route monopoly by MAS and SIA only and this route also as lucrative route also 4th busiest route in Asia..MAYBE that the reasons make this route so/bit expensive..

Since this route open for LCC both nations, may be in future we can see bit cheaper fare but dont expect too much for cheap fare for this route on full service airlines.. :)

Personally i dont agree that Datuk Sri IJ at MAS office make this ticket fare MaHal (expensive)..I not expert/well know about this fare structure but as we all know, for past 30 years this KUL-SIN vv route monopoly by MAS and SIA only and this route also as lucrative route also 4th busiest route in Asia..MAYBE that the reasons make this route so/bit expensive..

Since this route open for LCC both nations, may be in future we can see bit cheaper fare but dont expect too much for cheap fare for this route on full service airlines.. :)

Full Service? :pardon:

:drinks:

Worth put money on JL, flew them KUL-SIN-KUL for USD 90 everything included

Yes! Booked JL flight for my one way SIN-KUL flight late December for SGD $134 only, all inclusive!

Do they depart from Terminal 1 or Terminal 3 nowdays?

Full Service? :pardon:

:drinks:

It's gotta be the most expensive tea in Malaysia haha

Yes! Booked JL flight for my one way SIN-KUL flight late December for SGD $134 only, all inclusive!

Do they depart from Terminal 1 or Terminal 3 nowdays?

The flights have gone up somewhat but are still good value compares to MAS/SQ.

They still depart from T1

KUL-SIN timing for JL is very bad but return at night time is excellent :good:

Before 767 this route operated with 77W?

So why is it now that MAS is charging more then SQ by quite a margin? At almost RM600 for a one way ticket and almost RM90 more then SQ then if this isnt MaHal then I dont know what is.

Yes it's almost a monoply and I guess they are trying to get as much out of us as they can before its truely open to all. Once the competition starts they will deserve all they get.

KUL-SIN timing for JL is very bad but return at night time is excellent :good:

Before 767 this route operated with 77W?

I think the 77Ws were meant to be flights on training when the 77Ws were new to the JL fleet? They have always been using the 767s for the KUL-SIN run, IIRC.

Thanks for the info. Robert.

I think the 77Ws were meant to be flights on training when the 77Ws were new to the JL fleet? They have always been using the 767s for the KUL-SIN run, IIRC.

One thing I like about JAL is that you get to see the take off and landing on the TV screens. I just wish the forward cam would switch on earler and not at the very last moment.

When the shuttle was terminated several points were made in the statement -

The progressive deregulation of the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route and the ever-increasing use of the Internet for a variety of transactions such as booking of tickets and check-in (even at the last minute), has changed the travel landscape, removing the need for a shuttle service, they said.

The newly-deregulated market has opened up opportunities for the two airlines to offer more frequency and fare options, which will better serve the needs of the travelling public, they added.

So where are the fare options? As previously mentioned MAS have some discounted fares but these are few are far between. SQ have been the running the discounted fare for 2 for a long while. To me there is little or no choice of fares.

Now I will come to the bookings and share a bad experience with you -

About a month ago I had to return to Singapore at very short notice owing to a shift change at work. The wonderful booking system that MAS uses doesn’t allow last minute bookings so I planned to buy at KL sentral. I arrived at KL Sentral at around 07:30 with a view to getting the 09:25 KUL-SIN MAS flight. After queuing for 15 mins at the ticket office I'm told sorry we cant sell you a ticket on that flight because its too close to the departure time. I asked if the flight was full and they didn’t know. The only option they recomended was to buy a confirmed ticket on the 12:00 and try and go standby on the 09:25. In between this there is an SQ flight which I know is OK so what to do??

I decided to chance the MAS flight and arrived at the check out at just before 08:40 and noted that the next flight was at 12:00. It seems that the flight wasn’t that busy so they closed it early and wouldn’t let me on. As you can imagine I was none too pleased and politely pressured the check-in lady to get me on the 09:25. After a few phone calls and unhappy faces from her I was given a 12:00 boarding pass and told to get it changed at the gate. In the end it all worked out well but to me the ticket should have been available to buy and the flight shouldn’t have closed early.

In comparison if I need to buy a short notice ticket from AK, 3k or SQ either by web or at the airport I never experience the farce described above.

Another option I've thought about although I don’t get any VS points, is to book the MAS flights through SQ as a code share. I have been unofficially warned by the SQ staff at KUL that even though SQ's system allows last minute bookings MAS doesn’t and subsequently SQ keep having to deal with customers who have booked a confirmed seat but get bumped because there have no record in the MAS system. What a joke !

I would also like to point out that I'm a fan of both MAS and SQ however I'm also a frequent traveller who requires efficiency, comfort, convenience and these days because I'm paying, value for money. I'm sorry to say that MAS fails quite badly when it comes these on the SIN-KUL route.

I would also like to point out that I'm a fan of both MAS and SQ however I'm also a frequent traveller who requires efficiency, comfort, convenience and these days because I'm paying, value for money. I'm sorry to say that MAS fails quite badly when it comes these on the SIN-KUL route.

May be MAS staff demotivated with Skytrax announce last week.. Sad to hear MAS lost one of their loyal customer..

Prior to the 767s, they used the MD11s.

Prior to the 767s, they used the MD11s.

I'm flying back tonight to SIN on the JAL :)

May be MAS staff demotivated with Skytrax announce last week.. Sad to hear MAS lost one of their loyal customer..

Oh I missed that.. what was the news?

I'm flying back tonight to SIN on the JAL :)

Oh I missed that.. what was the news?

How the flight Mr. Robert??

If you want to know/read more what had happen..please click here..

Sign in to follow this