MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

BAe146 - Facility for Airborne Atmospheric Measurements (FAAM)

Spotted this BAe146 at BKI T2 just now as I arrived. It's G-LUXE, a scientific research plane - Facility for Airborne Atmospheric Measurements (FAAM). Serious stuff, I wonder what it is doing here.

img3400yb5.jpg

It carries some cool stuff.

img3399ov7.jpg

img34001vj7.jpg

PS: Thanks for the great hospitality, Meor, but no-show for Mr E. :)

Wow... this is really serious stuff...

fully instrumented fuselage...

Thanks for sharing Naim... hopefully BKI team can get this in runway action :rolleyes:

Wow... this is really serious stuff...

fully instrumented fuselage...

Thanks for sharing Naim... hopefully BKI team can get this in runway action :rolleyes:

Maybe it is monitoring the typhoon activities in this region.

And also apparently they heard the seafood at bKI is good, and decided to nitestop there instead of elsewhere!!! <_>

FAAM still there, at the same spot, when I left BKI at 8.30pm just now (25min delay for my AK5115 - AHD).

BKI member ...... hope that u all can catch it and share it here .... :clapping: ......... dr naim , any more shot ??? :p thanks for sharing :good:

Why must all the cool stuff at BKI always stop at T2?

Why must all the cool stuff at BKI always stop at T2?

Yeah! and those funky freighters to PEN :p :D :D

BAe146 is one of my fav aircraft. Ugly to some but adorable to me...

Hope she'll still be there tomorrow.

BKI member ...... hope that u all can catch it and share it here .... :clapping: ......... dr naim , any more shot ??? :p thanks for sharing :good:

Sorry, Louis, no more new pics. :pardon:

Mr. Ecurrently in Hong Kong.. hehehehe

I thot he took a nap! :) Timely trip to HKG, since in the July issue of AK's inflight mag, there's a story on how to spend a day in HKG. Useful tips.

Anyway Mr E has made such a mark in KK that they even named a street after him, no kiddin'.

jlnekkze1.jpg

Love em BAe146's ... Short and Cute .

I've been in them too - very pleasant rides. Yes, I'm an admirer also. :)

As of 0630 this morning she (the BaE 146 lah) was still sleeping at BKI T2.

Hahaha ... look what I just found. :)

July 12, 2008 17:28 PM

Danum Valley Picked For Britain's Climate Research Project

KOTA KINABALU, July 12 (Bernama) -- The British government has picked the pristine rainforest of Danum Valley in Lahad Datu to host its scientific research project on the earths climate change.

British High Commissioner to Malaysia Boyd McCleary said the three-year project, which started in October last year and known as the oxidant and particle photochemical processes above a South-East Asian tropical rainforest research' (OP3-Danum-08), studies the interactions in the rainforests atmosphere and the earths climate.

"The aim of this project is to understand better how forests control the composition and chemistry of the atmosphere, what their impact is on climate and how this might change in the future," he said at the launch of the OP3-Danum-08 Project here, Saturday.

He said the project is funded through Britains Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) to the tune of RM16 million (2.5 million Pounds) and involves 23 scientists from Britain and Malaysia.

The research site selected at Danum Valley is at Bukit Atur where the Malaysian Meteorological Department operates its 100-metre Global Atmosphere Watch Station (GAW).

According to McCleary, one of the research methods of the project is the use of Britains Facility for Airborne Atmospheric Measurements (FAAM) Bae-146 aircraft for two weeks which arrived here on Thursday.

The project was co-launched by Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Maximus Ongkili and Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Douglas Uggah Embas.

-- BERNAMA

cool.... it had been quite sometime since my last visit to T2 side.... hopefully later can go there do some spotting. hehe...

Here's a snapshot about each instrumentation it carries onboard and their particular function. It seems the data gathered will be processed by various academic institutions in UK such as Cantab, Imperial College, UEA, FAAM, etc.

http://www.faam.ac.uk/public/instrumentation.html

It's virtually a sophisticated flying lab. Interior pics are here:

PIC2

PIC3

PIC4

Hi guys.

Dropped by to check out a sexy baby this afternoon. There were many onlookers at the terminal but surprisingly those nearby the plane are mainly "ang-mos". They even operate the push back truck in their own. The pilot was starting the engines one at a time but i didn't stay to find out whether she took off or not.

faam.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

faam1.jpg

In in time to avoid being "saman" for illegal parking.

Edited by waiping

Hi guys.

Dropped by to check out a sexy baby this afternoon. There were many onlookers at the terminal but surprisingly those nearby the plane are mainly "ang-mos". They even operate the push back truck in their own. The pilot was starting the engines one at a time but i didn't stay to find out whether she took off or not.

In in time to avoid being "saman" for illegal parking.

Fuuyoh.. syiok.. first shot looks A.net worthy.. give it a try Waiping.. :good:

I thot he took a nap! :) Timely trip to HKG, since in the July issue of AK's inflight mag, there's a story on how to spend a day in HKG. Useful tips.

Anyway Mr E has made such a mark in KK that they even named a street after him, no kiddin'.

jlnekkze1.jpg

I've been in them too - very pleasant rides. Yes, I'm an admirer also. :)

Hey hey, I missed this thread...

And I missed you while you were here too. Someone promised to call on Wednesday after 3.30pm 'for any development on Pk Eng's visit' but he must've forgotten. Heheheh.

July issue of 360? Don't have it therefore was not educated on the subject (as you can see from my HK TR :) )

Yup, Jln. Ewan in KK is actually a lorong. A back lorong... :D