MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS Expands Connectivity For Civil Servants

Does AK get to carry govt servants on official duties too?

June 18, 2008 23:09 PM

MAS Expands Connectivity For Civil Servants

KUALA LUMPUR, June 18 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and its subsidiaries, Firefly and MASwings, have offered civil servants a wider choice of domestic and international routes in their combined network, to remain the premier air transport group for government officials.

MAS, since Oct 1, 1972, has transported many civil servants within the country and overseas on Government of Malaysia (GOM) travel, providing them vital connectivity for their official duties.

The government has also approved international sectors GOM travel on Malaysian low-cost carriers effective Feb 1, 2008, MAS said in a statement Wednesday.

"We welcome this increased travel options for civil servants. Nevertheless, when we launched our Business Turnaround Plan (BTP1) in 2006, we embarked aggressively on improving our customer value proposition and ensured that it also covered the GOM travel segment," MAS commercial director Datuk Abdul Rashid Khan said.

He said since BTP1, passenger uplift for this GOM traffic rose from around 450,000 in 2006 to more than 500,000 last year, representing an 11 percent increase over 2006 uplift.

"As Malaysias national carrier, we are also fulfilling our obligations as a responsible government-linked company by receiving all GOM business through Bumiputra Travel (BUMITRA) agents," he said.

Abdul Rashid said it now has a total of 341 ticketing and non-ticketing BUMITRA agents transacting GOM business with the company and hope to increase the number further.

"While we remain the preferred air carrier for the GOM business, we also assist by directing this business, where possible, to our subsidiaries and code-share partners when we do not operate to the specific destination or on days where the GOM travel is required.

"In this way, we continue to provide a wider global reach for our GOM customers," he said.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=340408

AK also transports the NS trainees back and forth from Borneo to Peninsular, me being in that category before hehehe. Terrible experience!

hmmm

to date, there is a surat pekeliling allowing us to travel on AK as well.

true, priority is given to MH however, if the flight is full, we will use AK instead.

MH or AK, no difference, the main thing is to get to the destination and preform tasks given.

MH or AK, no difference, the main thing is to get to the destination and preform tasks given.

There is a difference if one is expected to arrive in decent shape to be able to perform such tasks well.

There is a difference if one is expected to arrive in decent shape to be able to perform such tasks well.

Mustn't forget - arrive ONTIME.

Arrive in decent shape but late is USELESS

Not arriving at all is USELESS

Being given voucher towards future travel for delays is USELESS

AK is USELESS for business (and goverment) travel

Edited by Mohd Saat

Mustn't forget - arrive ...

Why are you using this thread, which I started for an intelligent discussion, to bash AK? If you have an axe to grind with AK, pls start your own thread elsewhere.

Alamakkk, the perils of appearing to bash AK in a thread started by the 'AK Fan Club' president. Choose your threads wisely people.... heheheheh.

Back to the original question, so far the GOM tickets issued for my official duties (or some call it 'CHOGM'. En Pendy, tau kan it stands for what? Hehehe) and biennial balik kampung trips -- have all been on MH.

Note on the latter:

Prior to 2005, the GOM tickets were issued to KUL as the end point from BKI. We also had to bear the taxes and charges. After that, they are issued up to the nearest airport to the officer's hometown and the government now pays all the extra cost attached to the ticket. Very generous amount indeed nowadays.

It's interesting that since there are now no more MH BKI-JHB flights, my Johorean colleagues have to do BKI-KUL-JHB legs for their balik kampung trips on GOM tickets!

AK also transports the NS trainees back and forth from Borneo to Peninsular, me being in that category before hehehe. Terrible experience!

Not any more from 2009. And NO, The Govt did not give it to MH. It was won on a fair tender exercise.

Alamakkk, the perils of appearing to bash AK in a thread started by the 'AK Fan Club' president. Choose your threads wisely people.... heheheheh.

Hahaha ... kalau 'bashing' with facts, bolehlah kito kato hilir sikit.

Dulu I was a gomen & keparat guy, always travelled MAS either biz or first, no prob. Annual travel budget came close to 100k - other ppl's money lah. Been there, done that. Now that I'm on my own, every single ringgit counts. Since AK appeared, been using it for both business and pleasure, on average 2x per month. Experienced minimal delays, many times arrived ahead of schedule, and for the fares I paid, it's truly value for money. Next week I'm off to SGN on AK again, on a biz trip, and I paid only RM600 return nett. So my partners and I, we saved a lot by using AK fo regional trips. So don't blame me for not being ungrateful to AK. Btw we manage a sizable venture capital fund, but we are still prudent. :D

Not any more from 2009. And NO, The Govt did not give it to MH. It was won on a fair tender exercise.

Congratulation! :clapping: Guess there will be less RM0 fare on offer in 2009 :(

Competition is always good for the consumer :yahoo:

:drinks:

I guess this answers my query once and for all. Thanks, all.

AirAsia in deal to fly Malaysian civil servants

By Jeeva Arulampalam

Published: 2008/06/20

MALAYSIAN civil servants on official duties can now opt to fly either Malaysia Airlines (MAS) or budget carrier AirAsia to destinations plied by the two airlines.

This comes in the wake of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi's announcement last week on austerity measures to save public spending amounting to RM2 billion annually.

Previously, civil servants were allowed to fly only on the national carrier as a means of supporting the government, said Bumiputra Travel and Tours Association of Malaysia (Bumitra Malaysia) president Syed Mohd Razif Syed Yasin.

AirAsia Bhd chairman Datuk Aziz Bakar said it hopes to secure half of the RM500 million spent per year for flight tickets by civil servants on work-related travel.

"They can travel (with AirAsia) at fares 20 per cent to 30 per cent lower than the published fares offered by other airlines," he told reporters after signing a memorandum of understanding with Bumitra Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

Aziz said the special fare for government officials include an in-flight meal, priority boarding and complimentary checked baggage handling fee for one bag.

He added that civil servants will soon be able to use long-haul budget airline AirAsia X for work-related travel as it finalises discussions by the end of the third quarter.

"It is a cost-efficient decision as government officials can enjoy low fares. It also seals the government's dedication in keeping costs at a minimum," he said.

The number of domestic and international trips made by civil servants amount to 250,000 per year.

AirAsia is said to have access to a new group of one million civil servants.

Bumitra Malaysia has 250 agents nationwide facilitating the booking of tickets for all government officials using the airline as a mode of transport for official duties through AirAsia's warrant booking system.

The programme, made available since January, was not fully implemented due to technical issues but has since been rectified.

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIM...19.xml/Article/

MALAYSIAN civil servants on official duties can now opt to fly either Malaysia Airlines (MAS) or budget carrier AirAsia to destinations plied by the two airlines...

I think it should have been written like this:

Government departments can now opt to fly Malaysian civil servants on official duties either on Malaysia Airlines (MAS) or budget carrier AirAsia to destinations plied by the two airlines...

Reason: (As far as I know) government servants are given the tickets by their jabatans for official travels.

Nevertheless it would be interesting to see if there'd be options actually given. Anything is possible (or otherwise) nowadays.

Would it be safe to assume you'll be doing haj-like charters to cater for the NS trainees' travels ?

Makes more sense really and less of the logistic nightmare that it is at the moment

Congrats for making the difference !

If so, then there is glimmer of hope we can look forward to a few more big bird flights next year ?

Not that it justifies the NS programme itself, but then that is another issue ! :)

With the recent price hike, price sensitive customers will appear to prefer AK than MH. To me, my priority always goes to premium airlines first. Had bad experience on no frills airline before.

Mustn't forget - arrive ONTIME.

Arrive in decent shape but late is USELESS

Not arriving at all is USELESS

Being given voucher towards future travel for delays is USELESS

AK is USELESS for business (and goverment) travel

That is why we are asked to plan our journey properly. Remember, the Tonggak 12 outlined by the government for the Public Servant? Try to understand the meaning of it. The way you talk here shows that you don't plan your time properly, and always do last minutes job. I am a government servant too, however, I manage to plan every single itinerary very well.

And sometimes there are limited seats on MH, so AK is the option. It happened to my colleagues last month when we were travelling KUL - TGG, MH seats were fully booked, so they picked AK as the traveling option. They arrived on time, they arrived in one piece, and they performed their duty very well.

So, no point of bashing any airlines here. The more flight, the more option we have to travel.

About the civil servants traveling on plane, here it is;

KEMENTERIAN KEWANGAN

SURAT PEKELILING PERBENDAHARAANBIL. 1 TAHUN 2007

Semua Ketua Setiausaha Kementerian

Semua Ketua Jabatan Persekutuan

Semua Setiausaha Kerajaan Negeri

PENGGUNAAN SYARIKAT PENERBANGAN SELAIN DARIPADA SISTEM PENERBANGAN MALAYSIA (MAS) UNTUK PENERBANGAN DOMESTIK BAGI TUJUAN BERTUGAS RASMI

LATAR BELAKANG

1. Pada masa ini, semua perjalanan udara Kerajaan hendaklah dilaksanakan dengan menggunakan Sistem Penerbangan Malaysia (MAS) atau syarikat-syarikat penerbangan lain yang diluluskan bagi penerbangan domestik mengikut Surat Pekeliling Am Bil. 4 Tahun 1998 serta pindaan-pindaan yang dibuat dari semasa ke semasa. Namun, Jabatan Perdana Menteri melalui surat bil. PM(S) 17050/1 Jld 11(11) bertarikh 6 Disember 2006 telah meminda Lampiran A Surat Pekeliling Am Bil. 4 Tahun 1998 dengan memasukkan sistem penerbangan Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) ke dalam senarai sistem penerbangan sedia ada.

TEMPAHAN TIKET

2. Dengan kuat kuasa pindaan tersebut, penggunaan Waran Perjalanan Udara Awam (WPUA) bagi tempahan tiket daripada syarikat-syarikat penerbangan selain daripada MAS yang diluluskan bagi penerbangan domestik seperti yang disenaraikan di dalam Lampiran A Surat Pekeliling Am Bil. 4 Tahun1998 iaitu Pelangi Airways, Berjaya Air, Air Asia, Transmile Air dan FAX adalah dibenarkan.

PEMBELIAN TIKET

3. Selain itu, pegawai sendiri boleh juga membeli tiket terus daripada syarikat penerbangan berkenaan atau melalui syarikat/agensi pelancongan secara tunai atau dengan menggunakan kad kredit dengan syarat perjalanan diluluskan oleh Ketua Jabatan dan semasa tuntutan perjalanan dibuat, salinan resit dikemukakan untuk mengesahkan pembelian tiket.

KAEDAH PEMBAYARAN

4. Mengikut mana yang berkenaan, pembayaran WPUA boleh dilakukan melalui Sistem Bayaran Pukal berpandukan peraturan dan syarat yang ditetapkan oleh Jabatan Akauntan Negara Malaysia.

TARIKH KUAT KUASA

5. Surat Pekeliling ini berkuat kuasa dengan serta merta.

PEMBATALAN

6. Dengan kuat kuasa Surat Pekeliling ini, Surat Pekeliling Perbendaharaan Bil. 11 Tahun 1998 adalah dibatalkan.

BERKHIDMAT UNTUK NEGARA

Saya yang menurut perintah,

tandatangan

(Tan Sri Izzuddin bin Dali)

Ketua Setiausaha Perbendaharaan

26 Januari 2007

Salinan kepada:

Ketua Setiausaha Negara

Ketua Audit Negara

Akauntan Negara Malaysia

Semua Ketua Eksekutif Badan Berkanun Persekutuan

Semua Pihak Berkuasa Tempatan

Anybody should be allowed to travel on any airline they want to. As for government people traveling on taxpayer money, the most cost-effective flight should be taken, although I'd limit the choice to Malaysian-based airlines.

many routes are flown by a certain airline and not by others. Therefore if a government servant needs to travel from PEN to KBR for example, they should take Firefly instead od wasting our money taking MH or AK and go via KUL.

good if living in indonesia, can choose either GA, lion, sriwijaya, mandala, etc...

there is only MH and AK here, so little choice, little experience....

Does AK get to carry govt servants on official duties too?

The Education Department of Johor doesn't allow travel on other airlines other than MAS. I once asked the officer in charge the reason why when AK offer cheaper fares and she told me it's the directive from the Ministry. But then, JPNJ (Jabatan Pendidikan Negeri Johor) is well known to interpret circulars the way it fancies! Malaysia (in this case, Johor) Boleh! :drinks:

Edited by Lim ML

Why are you using this thread, which I started for an intelligent discussion, to bash AK? If you have an axe to grind with AK, pls start your own thread elsewhere.

Cough cough, intelligent?

when it comes to buying tickets using the Waran Perjalanan Udara, airlines will charge full Y fare even there are lower fares available.

Full Y AK or Full Y MH?

Full Y MH, free baggage handling, seat numbering, free kacang or snakebox, free juice, aerobridge and the list goes on.

Full Y AK, RM3 for every checked-in bag, Every extra kg will be charged, paid nasi lemak pak nasir, and the list goes on.

when it comes to buying tickets using the Waran Perjalanan Udara, airlines will charge full Y fare even there are lower fares available.

Full Y AK or Full Y MH?

Full Y MH, free baggage handling, seat numbering, free kacang or snakebox, free juice, aerobridge and the list goes on.

Full Y AK, RM3 for every checked-in bag, Every extra kg will be charged, paid nasi lemak pak nasir, and the list goes on.

MH Govt Servant pay full Y and get upgraded to C

MH Govt Servant pay full Y and get upgraded to C

Only on certain international routes served by widebodies.

Domestic wise, travel on Y except for senior officials, starting from grade 54 to JUSA level. They pay full C fare.

Sign in to follow this