MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

AirAsia to operate from KK international terminal

AirAsia to operate from KK international terminal

KOTA KINABALU: Low cost budget carrier AirAsia will have to operate from the international airport terminal here after May next year despite their appeals to stay on at Terminal Two.

Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Lajim Ukin said that they would cease operating at the airport's Terminal Two complex in Tanjung Aru and move to the main airport complex that is currently being upgraded.

"All airlines, whether local or international, will use the main terminal block as soon it is ready for operations," Lajim said Friday after visiting the RM1.4bil Kota Kinabalu International Airport upgrading works here.

Asked if AirAsia had agreed to move out of Terminal Two to the main terminal once it is ready, Lajim said that they had more or less agreed following a series of meetings chaired by officials from the Transport Ministry.

"They have held discussions and there should be no problem with it," Lajim said, adding that the current Terminal Two would be a dedicated cargo terminal.

"The move to house all airlines operations under one roof is practical and would benefit travellers whether locals or foreigners," Lajim said, adding that the current Terminal Two would be converted into a dedicated cargo terminal.

Lajim said that AirAsia has flights originating from Kota Kinabalu to various international destinations and the ministry feels that the main terminal with all its facilities could be used as their hub.

On the progress of the airport expansion and refurbishment, he said the main terminal should be ready by May 20, 2009 with partial operations beginning in July this year.

heard this news last time but AK refused to move to MTB....maybe they have changed their mind now.

"Asked if AirAsia had agreed to move out of Terminal Two to the main terminal once it is ready, Lajim said that they had more or less agreed following a series of meetings chaired by officials from the Transport Ministry."

That is one way of putting it, "I don't wanna move but since you make me move then I'll move!" <_<

Without AK, the expanded BKI T1 will be deserted like MTB at KUL. Does it mean MAHB is going to abandon the 1 year old T2?

Guess AK will introduce ‘Airport terminal surcharge’ for operating from BKI T1.

Seems like all bookings for ex-BKI on airasia.com from June08 onwards show departures from T1 :unsure:

Heard that the T2 building was destined to be a cargo centre, long before the current building was built. So, I think it was temporary for Air Asia to use it.

Without AK, the expanded BKI T1 will be deserted like MTB at KUL. Does it mean MAHB is going to abandon the 1 year old T2?

it mentioned in the first post, the T2 will eventually convert into a cargo terminal soon after AK moved to T1.

indeed, it was a good news for traveller, but simply don't think Mr T will up-down his head so easily. lets wait and see what he will request for.

So, around this July, the new section will be operational for check-in...right? the T1 construction progress seems to be very slooowww...

No don't think you will get to use the aerobridge even if AK move to T1, like PEN.

I agree with Affendi. I hope with the current political uncertainty, AK will be (somehow) asked to move back to KUL MTB and the Permanent LCCT project is being scrapped all together. Honestly I don't think it is necessary at all. KUL is operating below capacity (of 10 million passengers annually). The authority should come out with a way to increase the passengers' traffic at KUL, so that it could paved the way for the construction of the 2nd Satellite Terminal, in line with the original masterplan.

Skybusses can still operate from KL Sentral to KUL MTB instead of the LCCT. Maybe the whole A and G Gates area can be allocated to AK/FD/QZ/D7's operation while MH is given Gates B and H.

AK argues that by operating at MTB, they can't offer cheap fares because the airport tax in KUL MTB is higher. It is, but does the difference really material? (The difference of airport tax between the 2 terminals are MYR 3 for flights within Malaysia and MYR 26 for international flights). If FD can operate in BKK, why can't AK operate in KUL MTB?

(I don't take into account the office rental rates, gate fees, apron fees (?) and any other charges that may differ between the MTB and LCCT)

AK always accused that MH received some form of subsidies from the government. Can the government gives subsidy to AK, in terms of a rebate or something, as an incentive to move out its operation from LCCT to MTB? MAHB always give incentive to foreign airlines, why can't they extend some to AK?

I agree with Affendi. I hope with the current political uncertainty, AK will be (somehow) asked to move back to KUL MTB and the Permanent LCCT project is being scrapped all together. Honestly I don't think it is necessary at all. KUL is operating below capacity (of 10 million passengers annually). The authority should come out with a way to increase the passengers' traffic at KUL, so that it could paved the way for the construction of the 2nd Satellite Terminal, in line with the original masterplan.

Skybusses can still operate from KL Sentral to KUL MTB instead of the LCCT. Maybe the whole A and G Gates area can be allocated to AK/FD/QZ/D7's operation while MH is given Gates B and H.

AK argues that by operating at MTB, they can't offer cheap fares because the airport tax in KUL MTB is higher. It is, but does the difference really material? (The difference of airport tax between the 2 terminals are MYR 3 for flights within Malaysia and MYR 26 for international flights). If FD can operate in BKK, why can't AK operate in KUL MTB?

(I don't take into account the office rental rates, gate fees, apron fees (?) and any other charges that may differ between the MTB and LCCT)

AK always accused that MH received some form of subsidies from the government. Can the government gives subsidy to AK, in terms of a rebate or something, as an incentive to move out its operation from LCCT to MTB? MAHB always give incentive to foreign airlines, why can't they extend some to AK?

You're right Azizul.

Why we have to follow TF? They want KUL-SIN, granted. They want LCC, granted. What else do they want? I'm very sure, by making AK fly from MTB, KUL will definitely turn into a happening place.

oh ya....

if BKI can make AK HAVE TO OPERATE FROM TERMINAL 1, why KUL can't?

I just don't understand.

Heard that the T2 building was destined to be a cargo centre, long before the current building was built. So, I think it was temporary for Air Asia to use it.

The T2 ceiling level is too low to use as a warehouse efficiently but is idea to use by freight forwarders. However, there isn’t sufficient cargo volume for freight forwarders to occupy the whole T2.

:drinks:

CORRUPTION !!!!

BKI T2 is way TOO luxurious to be a cargo terminal.

Sign in to follow this