MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

You pay – even if you don't use ERL

IF ERLSB doesn't want to reveal figures, then ask the prestigious, 'bestest of the best' organization called MAHB. I think the transport ministry knows all about the deal but pretend not to know.

A coffee-table book of ERL mentioned about financial assistance from German banks to finance construction of the ERL at the time when the ERL project was hit with financial difficulties during the 1997 financial crisis.

Of course, the initiative to get to the bottom of things only came about after the bashing that they received on Mar-8.

The whole story will be known in 4 or 5 years from now, and that only with help by citizens of Malaysia.

31343b26.jpg

Since MAHB has obtained approval to increase airport tax, may be ERL/KLIA Express will follow to pay for refurbishment and extension to KLIA2.

31343b26.jpg

Since MAHB has obtained approval to increase airport tax, may be ERL/KLIA Express will follow to pay for refurbishment and extension to KLIA2.

this is very shameful .......

It used to be first class equipment with 3rd class service. Now the first class equipment already become 3rd class, service remains at 3rd class, but charges gone up to first class!

It used to be first class equipment with 3rd class service. Now the first class equipment already become 3rd class, service remains at 3rd class, but charges gone up to first class!

Visited KL last month and it's still RM 35 for a single from KLIA to the city v.v.

I think politicians is best be involved in politics and leave the running of the business to the people involved in business.

I believe all models of the financial workouts are projected on the white wall and agreed upon by the top notch folks from both the government and YTL.

The passenger rates for the ERL is expected to be low as the government continue to promote its national car policies making it competing head-on with any rail projects to that matter.

It seems to me that in order for YTL to have a scheduled ROI on the ERL, part of the revenue will come from the airport taxes for both domestic and international passengers. It is just a business agreement that perhaps is typical only to Malaysia.

The problem here seems to be the un-disclosed agreement between the government and YTL, but then again, if it were tabled out earlier for everyone to see, the project might not have taken off in the first place.

I am sure there will be many protest from all quarters of life.

As for the high speed train to connect KL-SIN, it will have a tremendous impact to the local tourism industry, and transportation sectors. Once bustling towns will go quiet as the rail by-pass them altogether. Local transportation industry will go bust as more folks chooses rail than buses. It will only benefit folks in Singapore more than in Malaysia.

Malaysia is after all not that wide or big. The longest time for one to travel to Singapore from KL is about 4hours away, which is tolerable. What's more with some stop-over at some tourist spots along the way and enjoyed some local delicacies. I think there is no need yet for such a facility to be build. Save some monies, and pay off loans accordingly.

As for the high speed train to connect KL-SIN, it will have a tremendous impact to the local tourism industry, and transportation sectors. Once bustling towns will go quiet as the rail by-pass them altogether.

This already occurred when PLUS highway was built e.g. Rawang, Ulu Yam, Tg Malim, Bidor, Tapah, Taiping, Segamat, Muar, Batu Pahat, etc. However, these towns regenerated over the years.

Local transportation industry will go bust as more folks chooses rail than buses.

In country like Germany, U.K. and China with high speed train, bus transportation is still thriving as they are cheaper and serving different market segment.

It will only benefit folks in Singapore more than in Malaysia.

This is the same mentality that caused MH and KLIA losing out to SQ, TG, SIN and BKK.

Malaysia is after all not that wide or big. The longest time for one to travel to Singapore from KL is about 4hours away, which is tolerable. What's more with some stop-over at some tourist spots along the way and enjoyed some local delicacies.

Tourists may enjoy long journey and multiple stop over during holiday seasons. What about business people and productivity?

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

I think politicians is best be involved in politics and leave the running of the business to the people involved in business.

I believe all models of the financial workouts are projected on the white wall and agreed upon by the top notch folks from both the government and YTL.

The passenger rates for the ERL is expected to be low as the government continue to promote its national car policies making it competing head-on with any rail projects to that matter.

It seems to me that in order for YTL to have a scheduled ROI on the ERL, part of the revenue will come from the airport taxes for both domestic and international passengers. It is just a business agreement that perhaps is typical only to Malaysia.

The problem here seems to be the un-disclosed agreement between the government and YTL, but then again, if it were tabled out earlier for everyone to see, the project might not have taken off in the first place.

I am sure there will be many protest from all quarters of life.

As for the high speed train to connect KL-SIN, it will have a tremendous impact to the local tourism industry, and transportation sectors. Once bustling towns will go quiet as the rail by-pass them altogether. Local transportation industry will go bust as more folks chooses rail than buses. It will only benefit folks in Singapore more than in Malaysia.

Malaysia is after all not that wide or big. The longest time for one to travel to Singapore from KL is about 4hours away, which is tolerable. What's more with some stop-over at some tourist spots along the way and enjoyed some local delicacies. I think there is no need yet for such a facility to be build. Save some monies, and pay off loans accordingly.

Youre right......Malaysia seems to be the only current where "those who walk along the corridors of power" will want a piece of cake in everything...making our current situation getting worse by the day.....

Yes, you are right. Fledging townships can regenerate. Productivity over practicability, and what's not. But we need to take Malaysia's current economic situation to weigh whether such a high speed train is a viable project or not. Probably also forecast in a 5year future growth of Malaysia.

Bus / coaches industry can somehow find a way to rebuild their businesses. Townships can rebuild itself. Tourism industry will bud and flower over time. But all this will not happen within a year or two. It took some major changes and substantial time for these towns and industry to rebuild itself. Rawang and tg.Malim , with major car assemblers plants located within them, Bidor and Tapah grow as nearby university were set up and west-east highway opened connecting Kota Bharu and C.Highlands etc. All these comes in after a span of 5 years before we could see some live in these townships and industries.

Malaysia could not afford to have another major investment that does not benefit directly to the people on the ground. Malaysia's economic growth is not ideal or of any envy to go with. And should such a huge project is to be kicked off (if it did) and implemented, how much weighing or decision process would have to be thought through first and how much sacrifices to these townships and industries would be deemed as a collateral damage to this huge project. Not to mention the hidden payment that tax payers need to fork out to subsidize it later on.

A more economical and frequent airlines plying between both KL-SIN will actually benefit the country more in terms of business related travel between Malaysia and Singapore or internationally.

Malaysia could not afford to have another major investment that does not benefit directly to the people on the ground. Malaysia's economic growth is not ideal or of any envy to go with. And should such a huge project is to be kicked off (if it did) and implemented, how much weighing or decision process would have to be thought through first and how much sacrifices to these townships and industries would be deemed as a collateral damage to this huge project. Not to mention the hidden payment that tax payers need to fork out to subsidize it later on.

Agreed with you, for the long term economic growth, the gomen need to reduce gomen size, reduce indirect tax (in form of cross subsidy e.g. proton car) imposed on people. So far, none of ministers have proven themselves in business, should leave business to private sectors.

I find this statement amazing. This issue being discussed is a strictly Malaysian affair and I feel it is unfair to ALWAYS link it to Singapore. I can only say that when news emerged of plans by YTL to offer high-speed rail services between KUL and SIN, I have not seen any Singaporean clamouring for this service, dancing in joy or rubbing their hands in anticipation. If indeed this service is operated, it could only bring benefits to the economies of both KUL and Singapore .... how on Earth did you come to the decision that it would benefit Singapore more.

Unless you have studies to prove that there is a whole segment of the Malaysian population excitedly holding their passports waiting for the express train to take them to Singapore ... itching to go and spend their money there, and far fewer Singaporean planning to visit KUL, it is best to then tone down such sweeping statements.

If nothing else, a high-speed rail service will probably encourage the almost 12 million tourists who come to Singapore to extend their holidays in Kuala Lumpur too.

Perhaps you could not be more wrong, but sorry, I digress. The issue being discussed here is the shady deal between a government-linked agency and a private local company ... and unknowingly, users of KLIA (not just Malaysians but travellers from all over the world) have been helping to fatten the coffers of the local company. I too have been such a dumb victim, having used KLIA on so many occasions I cannot even begin to count ... and never used the express train service.

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

Visited KL last month and it's still RM 35 for a single from KLIA to the city v.v.

Yeah and it has always been so.

I guess my saying that Singapore will benefit more than Malaysia is in terms of tourism volume, because the service would actually make traveling to Singapore much more easier and convenient

With Singapore's bustling tourist attractions (no thanks to our complacent politicians and government), Malaysians will spend most of its hard earn monies across the causeway. In this sense, Singapore actually benefited more than Malaysia if the speed rail link is up. And if Singaporeans were to take the rail, the tickets is half of that of Malaysians. Now, we are subsidizing foreigners. I too don't think Singaporean will jump with glee and have sleepless nights out of joy when the speed rail is up. That's why I said, tourist will flock to the state country and not other way around.

This argument may seems petty, but thinking further ahead, how much benefit in terms of business relationship between both countries could be reaped just because of a single high speed rail line? Most major industrial areas are located outskirt or fringes of the states. It will take another travel mode or two to reach any business sites.

Anyway, IMHO Malaysia is not ready for such mega project as there's no other benefit except to those that mitigated the project..yes, the shady deals...

I guess my saying that Singapore will benefit more than Malaysia is in terms of tourism volume, because the service would actually make traveling to Singapore much more easier and convenient

With Singapore's bustling tourist attractions (no thanks to our complacent politicians and government), Malaysians will spend most of its hard earn monies across the causeway. In this sense, Singapore actually benefited more than Malaysia if the speed rail link is up. And if Singaporeans were to take the rail, the tickets is half of that of Malaysians. Now, we are subsidizing foreigners. I too don't think Singaporean will jump with glee and have sleepless nights out of joy when the speed rail is up. That's why I said, tourist will flock to the state country and not other way around.

This argument may seems petty, but thinking further ahead, how much benefit in terms of business relationship between both countries could be reaped just because of a single high speed rail line? Most major industrial areas are located outskirt or fringes of the states. It will take another travel mode or two to reach any business sites.

Before AK was permitted to ply KUL-SIN, for the same reasons you stated, MH offer fewer flight with smaller aircraft to SIN, and MH failed to attract pax to connect at KUL.

It is proven cheaper and convenient transport encourage trade growth. Like airports, high speed train stop is limited but overall travelling time is still reduced which improve productivity.

If Singaporean is paying ticket less in dollar to dollar is not subsidy but foreign exchange. Is AK subsidizing ticket sold in Singapore?

At current exchange rate, it is cheaper for Singaporean to visit Malaysia than vs. Believe there are more Singaporeans shop and eat in Malaysia than the other way round.

As there are more foreign visitors to Singapore than KL, with convenient transport, the likelihood for them to visit Malaysia is higher.

If Malaysians decide to spend their hard earn money in other country like London, Dubai, who are we to stop them?

Sign in to follow this