MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

LCCT Expansion Work To Start Next Month

Anybody with more info on the expansion work?

===

March 28, 2008 17:51 PM

LCCT Expansion Work To Start Next Month

SEPANG, March 28 (Bernama) -- Work on the expansion of the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) at the KL International Airport will begin early next month, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB)'s senior general manager for operations, Datuk Azmi Murad, said Friday.

He said priority will be given to enhancing passengers' comfort under the expansion plan which will see increased capacities and facilities at the LCCT.

"The expansion works of this terminal (LCCT) will begin on April 7 to enable it to handle 15 million passengers a year from the current 10 million," he said.

Extra 400 parking lots will be also made available from the existing 1,100 lots.

"The works will be completed within 11 months," Azmi told reporters at the LCCT-KLIA second anniversary celebration, here Friday.

Azmi however did not disclose the investment amount for the expansion programme.

The present LCCT, built at a cost of RM108 million, was developed on a fast track basis with its job started on June 2005 and completed within nine months.

It was fully funded by the government.

This year, the terminal is expected to handle nine million passengers, up from last year's 7.6 million.

He said the increase in the volume of passengers at the LCCT was due to the rapid growth of low-fare travel worldwide and the introduction of new routes and long-haul operations by Air Asia.

Apart from AirAsia, LCCT curently houses Thai AirAsia, AWAIR, Cebu Pacific Airways and Tiger Airways operations.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=323280

The present LCCT, built at a cost of RM108 million, was developed on a fast track basis with its job started on June 2005 and completed within nine months.

It was fully funded by the government.

Taxpayers subsidy to MAHB?! :angry:

:drinks:

the so called expansion will be from the current domestic terminal being expanded right up till food garden. there will be more check in counters, and probably an expansion of the international boarding hall as it currently only leads to the bay 50s & 60s - the so called expansion will also cover bay 70s from what i heard.

the airside store will also be relocated to the new engineering building between bay 60s and 70s. correct me if i'm wrong, because these are merely 2nd hand information. B)

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

the so called expansion will be from the current domestic terminal being expanded right up till food garden. there will be more check in counters, and probably an expansion of the international boarding hall as it currently only leads to the bay 50s & 60s - the so called expansion will also cover bay 70s from what i heard.

the airside store will also be relocated to the new engineering building between bay 60s and 70s. correct me if i'm wrong, because these are merely 2nd hand information. B)

yerp..current airside store will be relocated to the ARO building since it is now completed ( after being delayed for 6months)....the current airside store to be vacant to enable the expansion work to start soon...

I wonder how much is the VO (variation order) for this expansion project... :rolleyes:

yerp..current airside store will be relocated to the ARO building since it is now completed ( after being delayed for 6months)....the current airside store to be vacant to enable the expansion work to start soon...

Sorry, we layfolks are clueless what you guys are talking about. Pls refer to this GE image. Where's the expansion space? Thanks.

lcctil0.jpg

OIC, thanks, Ramani. So when ready expanded teminal will be connected to food court? That's good. :)

yes it will be. thats why they built it there in the first place. when it was first opened, many complained saying it was too far away and asked if they will be able to gain any crowd. now 3/4 of the crowd prefer eating here. :D

I thought the revised masterplan for the KLIA had included space for the LCCT to be located much more nearer to the main terminals?

IIRC, thats the permanant LCCT plan. this one is just an expansion plan for the current LCCT to cope with the increasing traffic until (year 2013? 2014) the permanant LCCT is built.

Has work started on the permanent building?

How is the LCCT in SIN?

Is it as bad as KUL? I've never been there personally, just the feeling I get from reading from all over :D

I thought the revised masterplan for the KLIA had included space for the LCCT to be located much more nearer to the main terminals?

That's the mega LCCT which will take at least 3 yrs to complete.

The expansion work is to the current LCCT which will be ready in less than a yr: basically extensions to both ends of the L-shaped building.

I wonder how much is the VO (variation order) for this expansion project... :rolleyes:

Wonder how many of our public sector projects are economically viable if VO's are not the rule rather than norm ?! :)

Edited by BC Tam

http://web6.bernama.com/aviation_news/news...ng=en&cat=b

SHANGHAI, April 1 (Bernama) - The construction of the permanent low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) in KL International Airport (KLIA) will start this year and is expected to be completed in two-and-a-half years.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) managing director, Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad, said the permanent LCCT would be able to accommodate between 30 and 35 million passengers per annum.

"Currently, MAHB is in discussion with the government on the plan to build the permanent LCCT in terms of the design, location and cost," Bashir told reporters at the two-day Airports Council International conference on customer service and facilitation here Tuesday.

On the expansion of the existing LCCT, Bashir said it was expected to start this month to accommodate 15 million passengers per annum.

"We fully agree that the terminal needs to be expanded. Based on AirAsias forecast, we were supposed to achieve 10 million passengers per annum in 2012 but now we are going to achieve it much earlier," he said.

The existing LCCT cost RM180 million and started operations two years ago.

Currently, AirAsia Bhd, Thai AirAsia, Cebu Pacific Airlines, Tiger Airways and AWAIR operate from the LCCT.

yes it will be. thats why they built it there in the first place. when it was first opened, many complained saying it was too far away and asked if they will be able to gain any crowd. now 3/4 of the crowd prefer eating here. :D

I like the Food Garden. Very, very clean. The cleaners ask to clear your table before you even finish your food!

But it's too far away hehhehe... one has to eat double the normal amount before heading back to the terminal. :rolleyes:

But it's too far away hehhehe... one has to eat double the normal amount before heading back to the terminal. :rolleyes:

that's a good one Ewan... :rofl: :rofl:

I like the Food Garden. Very, very clean. The cleaners ask to clear your table before you even finish your food!

Yup... it looks pretty far. Any pics of the Food Garden?

How's the food like? The variety? Is it cozy? Or is it just like typical food court you can find in shopping malls?