MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

CX In BKI ?

Hi all,

Any of you remember when did CX stop flying to BKI ? Any chance for them to come back to BKI ? (since they are competing with KA head to head on many routes now such as PVG, NRT, TPE, KHH, BKK & PEK)

The person who has considerable knowledge in this topic would be Bing Chu or known as BC Tam in the other forum smile.gif He is a mighty and loyal BKI fan. tongue.gif

I have only seen CX's Tristar L-1011 in BKI, haven't seen their 747s at BKI at all. I think KA took over their routes in the early 90s. I remember the flag pole outside of BKI terminal changed from CX to KA in the early 90s?

I have only seen CX's Tristar L-1011 in BKI, haven't seen their 747s at BKI at all. 

10678[/snapback]

While i've only seen CX 747 at BKI (it was 3x flights a week), i guess they stopped using this plane to BKI in in the mid-90s ?

I think KA took over their routes in the early 90s.  I remember the flag pole outside of BKI terminal changed from CX to KA in the early 90s?

10678[/snapback]

If i'm not mistaken, KA first flew to BKI in 1988 with a single 732 (KA belonged to a ship tycoon named 'bao ? ?', my dad said he's the greatx20/30 grandson of 'Justice Pao' from Sung Dynasty). When i was in my aunty's house last week, i saw the CX advertisement on Marie Claire magazine (if i'm not mistaken) dated April 1993 or 1994 (can't remember). According to the advertisement, CX flew to Malaysia only 6x a week. 3x a week to BKI & KUL respectively. Didn't mention the aircraft used. The last time i saw CX 747 in BKI was in 1996.

Edited by Isaac

The person who has considerable knowledge in this topic would be Bing Chu or known as BC Tam in the other forum smile.gif  He is a mighty and loyal BKI fan. tongue.gif

10678[/snapback]

Flattering as that may sound SV, I'm sorry to dissapoint in that my recollection of dates is hopelessly, well, hopeless. In other words, I can't even recall to the nearest decade !

As for being a mighty and loyal fan of BKI, what choice is there ?!

Getting back to KA, I think there was a time when there were running (charter ?) flights to BKI in addition to CX's scheduled run. Remember, those were the days when CX and KA were completely different entities. CX was and is Swire Pacific controlled, KA was owned by some HK chap going by the name of Chao I think. It was only after Swire Pacific bought up some substantial portion of KA was the HKG-BKI route handed over exclusively to KA.

Isaac, I recall us debating this issue some time ago (maybe elsewhere) but I still am not convinced that CX ever operated their 747's into BKI, not on a regular scheduled basis anyway. However, the sight of the Tristars lumbering down the runways ........... sigh !

I still am not convinced that CX ever operated their 747's into BKI, not on a regular scheduled basis anyway.  However, the sight of the Tristars lumbering down the runways ........... sigh !

10716[/snapback]

Perhaps you're right, Bing Chu. It wasn't on a regular basis. CX did operated their 747 into BKI. I've seen their 747 flew over the "pasar" in KK 5 or 6 times in 1996 and there were all 747.

Oh ... just remember, i saw their 747 in 1996 and if i'm not mistaken they only had a few L1011 in 1996. All of their L1011 were retired somewhere in October 1996. Could it because they didn't have enough L1011 at the time and a 747 was used instead for their BKI flight for a certain period ?

Edited by Isaac

To me, if things go smoothly, with increasing number of tourists to beautiful Sabah PLUS the completion of the new airport renovation, and without any more virus or terrorist acts, some foreign airlines WILL return to BKI. The state has a great tourist product.

We just have to wait though.

To me, if things go smoothly, with increasing number of tourists to beautiful Sabah PLUS the completion of the new airport renovation, and without any more virus or terrorist acts, some foreign airlines WILL return to BKI. The state has a great tourist product.

We just have to wait though.

10822[/snapback]

We can first put EK into our list tongue.gif

By the way, i'm wondering if the Japanese carriers are interested to fly to BKI ? I was on MH81 2 weeks ago and guess what ? 248 passengers on that plane from NRT disembarked in BKI, only 16 passengers from NRT continue their flight to KUL, amazing, isn't it ?

We can first put EK into our list  tongue.gif 

By the way, i'm wondering if the Japanese carriers are interested to fly to BKI ? I was on MH81 2 weeks ago and guess what ? 248 passengers on that plane from NRT disembarked in BKI, only 16 passengers from NRT continue their flight to KUL, amazing, isn't it ?

10857[/snapback]

Speaking about foreign carriers, I remember in 2003 I think, whilst I was waiting for my dad to arrive from KUL, I saw 2 Korean 744s parked on opposite sides of the terminal.....YIKES!! Is it true that now Korean operates full service flights to BKI from ICN??

OK Isaac, ever the diplomat in resolving a debate !! Should learn never to doubt a fellow spotter's words when they've seen the stuff themselves.

Talking of which, what Jamie saw must have been one heck of a rarity, two foreign B744's at BKI at the same instance rolleyes.gif

Speaking about foreign carriers, I remember in 2003 I think, whilst I was waiting for my dad to arrive from KUL, I saw 2 Korean 744s parked on opposite sides of the terminal.....YIKES!! Is it true that now Korean operates full service flights to BKI from ICN??

10874[/snapback]

I guess it was a charter flight, not on a regular basis though, like the OZ one. OZ is currently operating 2x or 3x charter flights a week between BKI and ICN using 321. Any idea which days OZ are flying into BKI ? I only know Sunday (just before midnight). And by the way, do their crews have night stops in BKI ?

I guess it was a charter flight, not on a regular basis though, like the OZ one. OZ is currently operating 2x or 3x charter flights a week between BKI and ICN using 321. Any idea which days OZ are flying into BKI ? I only know Sunday (just before midnight). And by the way, do their crews have night stops in BKI ?

10914[/snapback]

No idea.......apparently KK and Sabah as a whole, is a very popular tourist destination amongst Koreans......and it just makes me wonder why dont OZ or KE just start a scheduled service there

very popular tourist destination amongst Koreans......

10922[/snapback]

Yeah, and the Japanese, Hong Kongers, Taiwainese and Chinese from Mainland China. I think the Japan routes must be doing really great, considering MH has 5x non-stop flights a week to Japan. A radio station once reported that MAS was planning to lauch a non-stop flight between BKI and PEK but it never happens, not until today ...

and it just makes me wonder why dont OZ or KE just start a scheduled service there

10922[/snapback]

I'm not sure either. But i would love to see the Japanese carriers fly into BKI first, with the 763 in 2-class perhaps ? NH 2-class 763 is fantastic (the new configuration).

Any idea which days OZ are flying into BKI ? I only know Sunday (just before midnight).

My system says:

eff 01nov disc 25mar OZ7575 321 BKI arr 2330 days .2...6.

btw, KE (a SkyTeam partner) is code-sharing on the MH ICN-BKI A330 flights; this is another ST partner code-sharing on MH, just like KL on the AMS-KUL flights: do I've to say more ???

btw, KE (a SkyTeam partner) is code-sharing on the MH ICN-BKI A330 flights; this is another ST partner code-sharing on MH, just like KL on the AMS-KUL flights: do I've to say more ???

11013[/snapback]

Many people said SkyTeam is full with 3 stars carriers but i can see that improving now.

- In SkyTeam, AF got the best products, foods etc.

- KL is improving, All new long-haul aircraft have PTV and AVOD in all classes. Right now, we just hope they will introduce it to other planes such as the 744 or they might just order the 77W tongue.gif

- DL is improving and expanding, will soon become the largest Transatlantic carrier. Will have new Business Elite product. Hope they'll introduce PTV & AVOD in all classes on all Transatlantic and Transpacific flights too and they really need to upgrade their EY medium/long-haul flights meals.

- KE is soon to introduce new premium products too, similar to the ones on MAS.

- The only NW pathetic long-haul products can now only be found on 744, D10 and 742. D10 and 742 will dissapear from NW radar soon. NW is also installing the new WBC seats on all 744. Just hope their next step is to install new seats in EY on all of their 744. Their new 332 and 333 all have top-notch products.

By the way, 3 SkyTeam members are the launch customers for the 788

- Northwest Airlines = 18 firms, 50 options

- Korean Air = 10 firms

- Continental Airlines = 5 firms, 5 options

If MAS really join SkyTeam, i hope they'll be the next to order the 787 smile.gif Their only problem now is AF sad.gif Anyway, OneWorld isn't bad too, as we might see CX to futher increase its frequencies between HKG and KUL while BA and QF coming back to KUL if MAS joins OW smile.gif But in OW, they would have to compete with CX, QF and BA on the popular Kangaroo routes while at SkyTeam, they can monopoly the Kangaroo routes (KE is just a bit too far away from Aus/NZ).

Isaac,

I think MAS is ready to compete with the likes of QF and BA on the kangaroo route,

the question is, are THEY ready to compete with MAS??!!

I agree with what u said on all skyteam carriers.......AF is one of the better european ones, alongside KL..........Ive had several experiences flying btw Manchester and Amsterdam, and though I cant comment on the service as its only a 45 mins flight, I reckon KL's biggest asset is its homebase Schiphol.....which is to me the best airport in the world (up there with Changi)

I think MAS is ready to compete with the likes of QF and BA on the kangaroo route,

the question is, are THEY ready to compete with MAS??!!

11030[/snapback]

LOL, yeah. Anyway, agree with you. MAS is indeed a big treat to BA and QF.

I agree with what u said on all skyteam carriers.......AF is one of the better european ones, alongside KL..........Ive had several experiences flying btw Manchester and Amsterdam, and though I cant comment on the service as its only a 45 mins flight, I reckon KL's biggest asset is its homebase Schiphol.....which is to me the best airport in the world (up there with Changi)

11030[/snapback]

I have never flown with AF but yet have heard many people complained how bad their cabin crews' altitudes are. Would i fly with them after hearing so many bad feedbacks about AF ? DEFINATELY YES ! AF must say zillions of thank you to KLM Royal Dutch Airlines smile.gif

I've flown with KL twice and i think they are superb ! Crews were sooo friendly. I was really impressed and surprised as i've heard many complains about how bad they are. My conclusion is you should try it yourself before you rate the airline smile.gif

Edited by Isaac

- KL is improving, All new long-haul aircraft have PTV and AVOD in all classes.

Isaac,

Thanks for the wonderful compliments about KLM: indeed, I think their crews are wonderful, but there are still lot's of things to improve, esp. catering and IFE:

PTV and AVOD is ONLY available in Y-class on 777 and 330 only; NOT on the other wide-body long-haul fleet sad.gif

I've flown with KL twice and i think they are superb ! Crews were sooo friendly. I was really impressed and surprised as i've heard many complains about how bad they are. My conclusion is you should try it yourself before you rate the airline  smile.gif

11078[/snapback]

Yeah, my boss recently flew KLM World Biz Class to Tokyo on a 777 and was highly impressed with the service.....

I think until KLM uses a 777 to KUL or fits PTVs in their 744s.....Ill remain flying with MH back home! smile.gif

My only recent long-haul experience on a european carrier was on Lauda Air coupla years back.....LHR-VIE-KUL......IFE decent, cabin crew service average, but they served probably the best inflight Y class food I have ever had.....great food presentation, buns/rolls served in a basket (just like in first/business class), and every pax gets a mini bottle of red wine.......truly excellent

Yeah, my boss recently flew KLM World Biz Class to Tokyo on a 777 and was highly impressed with the service.....

I think until KLM uses a 777 to KUL or fits PTVs in their 744s.....Ill remain flying with MH back home!  smile.gif

My only recent long-haul experience on a european carrier was on Lauda Air coupla years back.....LHR-VIE-KUL......IFE decent, cabin crew service average, but they served probably the best inflight Y class food I have ever had.....great food presentation, buns/rolls served in a basket (just like in first/business class), and every pax gets a mini bottle of red wine.......truly excellent

11094[/snapback]

Oh yes, Lauda's Y class catering is good. Never have I flown with an airline that offer about 5-6 choices of bakery selections to its passengers, nicely served in a basket no less and due to the fact that they are par-baked, they have ovens to complete the baking process onboard. So, before meals times you can actually smell the aroma of it.

Flattering as that may sound SV, I'm sorry to dissapoint in that my recollection of dates is hopelessly, well, hopeless. In other words, I can't even recall to the nearest decade !

As for being a mighty and loyal fan of BKI, what choice is there ?!

Hmmm... lets see, KLIA, Sandakan, Tawau, Lahad Datu, Kudat and HKIA would be an alternative choice biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Getting back to KA, I think there was a time when there were running (charter ?) flights to BKI in addition to CX's scheduled run. Remember, those were the days when CX and KA were completely different entities. CX was and is Swire Pacific controlled, KA was owned by some HK chap going by the name of Chao I think. It was only after Swire Pacific bought up some substantial portion of KA was the HKG-BKI route handed over exclusively to KA.

I think that HK tycoon you are talking about is Bao Yu-gang? He controls the ship business or Oceanliners of HK. Like Isaac said, he is the descendant of Bao Qing-tian, the legendary judge of Song dynasty China. Not sure about the autheticity of this claim though.

So this thread has gone from CX to KA, then MAS and AF and now to KLM....? Isaac, what's next? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif By the way, is Thai back to BKI with their BKK-BKI direct flights?

Anyone wants to comment between the service of CX and KA? Doesn't bother me but I'd rather have CX servicing BKI.

Edited by S V Choong

Thanks for the wonderful compliments about KLM: indeed, I think their crews are wonderful, but there are still lot's of things to improve, esp. catering and IFE:

PTV and AVOD is ONLY available in Y-class on 777 and 330 only; NOT on the other wide-body long-haul fleet  sad.gif

11085[/snapback]

Agree with you Pieter, about the catering and IFE.

I think until KLM uses a 777 to KUL or fits PTVs in their 744s.....Ill remain flying with MH back home! smile.gif

11085[/snapback]

LOL, same here Jamie. Nevermind if they don't install the PTV in their 74M/744, if they have the intention to buy the 77W tongue.gif Their big sister, AF is a huge fan of 77W apparently. I won't be surprise if KL buy the 77W to replace their 74M/744.

So this thread has gone from CX to KA, then MAS and AF and now to KLM....? Isaac, what's next? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

11085[/snapback]

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif S V Choong. I think next will be TG and then back to KA and CX again. LOL

By the way, is Thai back to BKI with their BKK-BKI direct flights?

11085[/snapback]

Don't think so. They had closed down their ticketing office in the KWSP building about 2 years ago. Anyway, there is something interesting in their website now, it's about Mount Kinabalu, click the link below :

Mount Kinabalu

Anyone wants to comment between the service of CX and KA?

11085[/snapback]

My mom's friends flew with KA to PVG via HKG early this year and they said KA sucks. You've flown on KA, right ? What do you think about it ?

As for CX, my parents have flown with them 4-6 times (BKI-HKG-TPE-HKG-BKI) and (MNL-HKG-MNL) in 2001 and they both didn't like it, they said CX cabin crews are damn rude. Anyway, i would still give CX a try one day ...

Doesn't bother me but I'd rather have CX servicing BKI.

11085[/snapback]

Same here, as CX is always seem to me a far superior carrier compared to KA. Anyway, KA is slowly installing PTV into their 333 now. Some of the latest 333 already have it and their latest 333 (B-HWG) comes with only 2-class instead of 3-class (C42 Y273).

Sign in to follow this