MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Emirates Announces US$34.9 Bln Aircraft Order

When EK initially announced their MAMMOTH expansion plans in the late 90's...i remember some people crying foul, and basically putting forward enormous levels of negativity towards EK's intentions...

as of a few days ago...we received our 100th aircraft....

and load factors on average are close to 88% throughout all routes....more so the High Density routes.

I do realised that, but there's a limit to double digit growth. You can't expect the company to keep growing 20% per year indefinitely. With QR and EY also planning for world domination, I can't help but to think that one or more of these airlines are bound to fail and end up like GF, which is the former shadow of its past self.

I wonder what their load is like in reality.

For the KUL/DXB sector, the load is good. EK is also the cheapest airline to Europe. But for US, they air fare is pretty much the same as SQ.

I heard their load between AKL-BNE, AKL-MEL and AKL-SYD are all rather empty but relying heavily on underbelly cargo.

I heard the same thing ...

If the UAE economy is a bubble, this could spell huge trouble for everybody in the future.

A bit OT here, but there's a lot of money in the Gulf-area as shown by this:

Qatar Still In Talks To Buy EADS Stake

November 13, 2007

Qatar's USD$60 billion sovereign wealth fund is still in talks to invest in EADS, more than seven months after saying it could buy up to 10 percent of Airbus's parent, Dubai's Emirates Today reported on Tuesday.

"They are still talking to us, but I'm not sure if it is going to be a significant share," EADS Chief Executive Officer Louis Gallois told the paper on the sidelines of the Dubai air show.

The Qatar Investment Authority said in March it was interested in buying up to 10 percent of EADS as part of plans to diversify its investments. The fund, which invests the surplus revenues of the oil and gas exporter, manages USD$60 billion in assets, Standard Chartered estimated last month.

The Qatar Investment Authority already has indirect ownership of EADS through French group Lagardere and a Dubai fund.

Qatar said in March it held 7 percent of Lagardere. That would have made the Qatar Investment Authority Lagardere's third-largest shareholder and would mark a 1 percentage point increase in its stake since June 2006.

Qatar has also contributed to a fund managed by Dubai International Capital, which said in July it bought 3.12 percent of EADS.

"We would be more than happy if Dubai wants to buy more (of) our free float," Gallois said, according to the paper.

(Reuters)

Perhaps EK may think of set up its own aircraft manufactory line.... :)

Exactly what I was thinking. They should set up their own manufacturer and save all the money...

..... They should set up their own manufacturer and save all the money .....

We Malaysians thought the same long ago and Proton was conceived and born. Look what we have on our plate nowadays ............... :pardon:

For the KUL/DXB sector, the load is good. EK is also the cheapest airline to Europe. But for US, they air fare is pretty much the same as SQ.

KUL-DXB-KUL sector always has good loads...though most of the time...the business class seats are always filled up...whilst economy has roundabouts 30 seats empty...

Though..this is usually only applicable during off-peak seasons...when summer and winter holidays come around...totally different story :p

Yeh...underbelly cargo is a HUGELY profitable for EK across the Tasman.

With QR and EY also planning for world domination, I can't help but to think that one or more of these airlines are bound to fail and end up like GF, which is the former shadow of its past self.

GF was modelled after the old BA, were mostly staffed by British and the service was at the old BA level. Old BA mean before Lord King/Colin Marshall time.

EK is copying SQ, their strategy and service is similar to SQ. They will remain strong and aggressive for at least the next 5 to 10 years.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

EK is copying SQ, their strategy and service is similar to SQ.

Not, not anymore. SQ is more like BA nowadays. They rely a lot on front business.

MH has lost a significant number of passengers to AK. we used to carry more pax/year than SQ...this has now been reversed. I doubt that MH will ever reach SQ or EK's level after the ASEAN open skies agreement and the expansion of LCC travel in this region.

Guest Michael

Who knows of the future of MAS with Idris in power and the future of KLIA, I heard KLIA will start expanding next year though.

Guest Michael

I keep reading negative comments on Skytrax about Emirates so it is wise not to fly with them now, they used to have better standards than they have now I am sorry to say.

I keep reading negative comments on Skytrax about Emirates so it is wise not to fly with them now, they used to have better standards than they have now I am sorry to say.

Ohhh..the same Skytrax that gave MAS a 5 star rating? :mellow:

<_>

Sign in to follow this