MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Azuddin

Space Shuttle Preparation

Hello everyone

We all may have seen videos on assembling A380, 777 or any other aircraft. Let me share with you all how Space Shuttle being prepared.

I received these few images from my uncle in a power point format. I've spent a few hours editing them, cropping them and uploading them and share it here. I'm not sure if General Aviation is the correct place to share this, if not moderator may move it to the appropriate column. I still have the original power point presentation, anyone may email me if you want a copy.

Chapter 1

Assembling the tank and rocket booster stack

some of these process never been shown to public.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s6.jpg

s7.jpg

s8.jpg

s9.jpg s10.jpg

s11.jpg

the tank has been attached to SRB

Continue next chapter, shuttle engine assembly

question and comments are welcomed.

Azuddin

Great thread this one. Azuddin, if you have SRB manufacture, assembly, and recovery pics also please share :good:

I do have pict of most of that, let me find the picture CD in a moment.

Azuddin

Great pictures Azuddin... does your uncle work for NASA or related in any way? Can't wait for the next batch.

BTW according to wikipedia the external tank is manufactured in New Orleans, LA not Mississippi. Any confirmation about this?

Continue with

Chapter 2

Shuttle main engines assembly

This section will show how the Shuttle main engine being installed into the spacecraft. Many thinks that Shuttle engines is permanently installed and reused. Actually they were removed and replaced after each flights and just only for use during launch. After the main engine throttle cut off while in orbit, the shuttle is a dead stick and no way the main engine can be restarted.

s12.jpg

s13.jpg

s14.jpg

s15.jpg

The main engine one a space shuttle consist of 3 Pratt & Whitney RS-24 for main engine, Orbital Maneuvering System (OMS) and Reaction Control System (RCS). The picture above showing the assembly of the 3 main engines, the RS-24. Look how masive it is, it's still consider small if compared to F-1 engines on a Saturn V first stage.

Edited by Azuddin

Great pictures Azuddin... does your uncle work for NASA or related in any way? Can't wait for the next batch.

BTW according to wikipedia the external tank is manufactured in New Orleans, LA not Mississippi. Any confirmation about this?

Nope, my uncle not with NASA. He just forward this email to me.

Yes, most the parts we manufactured in New Orleans, but the assembly in carried out in Mississippi John Stennis Space Center. This is also where shuttle engines being manufactured and test.

Here's some picture from Stennis test facility

Stennis_test_stand.jpg

Ssme_firing.jpg

A RS-24 engine being tested.

Edited by Azuddin

Continue with

Chapter 3

Space Shuttle Assembly and Maintenance

Still in the Orbiter Processing Facility (OPF), we are now taking a look a space shuttle smaller engines being installed (on the nose cone section). This section is also like other engine, it is removed and replaced after each flight.

Blog1DSCN0069.jpg

05pd2536-m.jpg

05pd2570-m.jpg

05pd2545-m.jpg

The nose section of the space shuttle was taken apart for undergoing check and maintenance for the RCS engines.

06pd1009-m.jpg

05pd2122-m.jpg

05pd2123-m.jpg

Edited by Azuddin

Before I carry on with next chapter, here's a request from Azman

I'm showing here Solid Rocket Booster assembly

Here's a diagram of a rocket booster

SpaceShuttleSolidRocketBooster.png

The rocket booster function like a firework Once installed, it can be only lighted up once and cannot be turned off until the entire fuel is out.

06pd0989-m.jpg

06pd0990-m.jpg

06pd0993-m.jpg

Azman, I will continue your request on Booster jettison and recovery after the space shuttle in the thread clear the launch pad.

These shots show the complexity in building and maintaining a space craft... makes you wonder how much work goes into running their space program.

And yet some people are claiming that Malaysia is a 'space power' now :rolleyes:

Interesting, Azuddin. Thanks.

Unfortunately shuttle will be retired 2010 and Soyuz will be main workhorse - poking buttons with steel rods, that's so cool! :D

+++

Unfortunately shuttle will be retired 2010 and Soyuz will be main workhorse - poking buttons with steel rods, that's so cool! :D

+++

Still remember this line from Armageddon?: "Russian equipment, American equipment, all made in Taiwan!" :rofl:

Yes, haven't forgotten that line... I thought it was funny to invoke "Taiwan" into the movie... Also the first time I realized there is international collaboration in many aspects of our life...

That was back in 1998... Sweet years... :)

+++

Yeah, sadly. But I hope NASA will put the X-33 into service. I went visit the prototype hangar, it's not as big as the Lockheed/Rockwell Shuttle, but it's so cool looking. It is said that it will be replaced the current Lockheed Rockwell Shuttle and one will be placed at ISS at emergency escape vehicle. For years there's no word about the ESA Hermes Shuttle developed by Ariane Space. I also heard about the Delta Launcher project by NASA back in 2004 and I hope this one also became a reality, how cool to see a space vehicle went to space by take off and landing like Concorde.

Still remember this line from Armageddon?: "Russian equipment, American equipment, all made in Taiwan!" :rofl:

Haha, got that quote stuck in my head. But it's true, most of the internal switch panel and components are made in Taiwan.

Edited by Azuddin

I'm wondering what will happened to these shuttle fleets,when there are news that a Presidential Order had been issued to decommissioning the shuttles.

Yeah, sadly. But I hope NASA will put the X-33 into service. I went visit the prototype hangar, it's not as big as the Lockheed/Rockwell Shuttle, but it's so cool looking. It is said that it will be replaced the current Lockheed Rockwell Shuttle and one will be placed at ISS at emergency escape vehicle. For years there's no word about the ESA Hermes Shuttle developed by Ariane Space. I also heard about the Delta Launcher project by NASA back in 2004 and I hope this one also became a reality, how cool to see a space vehicle went to space by take off and landing like Concorde.

Haha, got that quote stuck in my head. But it's true, most of the internal switch panel and components are made in Taiwan.

Azuddin the project X-33 has been canceled and in its place is the Project Constelation.It is built using technologies from the Saturn V and Space Shuttle.There will be 2 rockets,Aries 1 and Aries IV.For Aries I the crew will be carried to space aboard a spacecraft called the "Orion",it looks like the Apollo CM but on steroids.It consist of a first stage made up from five segment reusable solid rocket booster similar to the space shuttle,upper stage made up of aluminium lithium structure powered by a single J-2X engine,and the CEV (crew exploration vehicle aka Orion) consisting of launch abort system,crew module and service module.The Orion CM can be used up to 10 missions,diameter 5meters,length 8.5meters,crew capacity 6,interior volume 90.3 cubic feet,mass 17,397,power solar/battery,reentry aerobrake,landing parachute/land/water.

Aries IV will carry the EDS (Earth Departure Stage) and the LSAM (Lunar Surface Access Module) and it will consist of a core stage with 5 x RS-68 engines and 2 x PBAN soid rocket boosters each with 5 x segment RSRB,EDS (Earth Departure Stage) with a single J-2X engine and an upper stage containing the LSAM (Lunar Surface Access Module which consist of an ascent and descent module).The LSAM is capable of carrying 4 x Astronauts as compared to 2 x Astronaut on the LM.The Orion CEV will be left unattended in Moon orbit untill the exploration on the surface is completed.

For missions to the ISS the Orion CEV will be carrying 5 x Astronauts but for missions to the moon it will carry only 4 x Astronauts.

Info taken from "Project Constellation:Moon,Mars & Beyond by Tim McElyea from Apogee Books."

Chapter 4

Internal and external protection maintenance

A Space Shuttle will be engulf in flame during reentry. To get through this process safely, the vehicle is covered with a protective layer. Unlike Mercury, Gemini, Apollo or Soyuz, they are protected with Aluminum heat shield. For space shuttle, it didn't dive vertically during reentry like space capsule. Space Shuttle will descent like a plane. Descending rate for a shuttle is slower then a space capsule, which means it spent longer time during reentry.

To protect a Space Shuttle from the heat. A protective layer made of ceramic is placed surrounding the outer layer of Space Shuttle like a floor tiles. These tiles can withstand an enormous high temperature and absorb the heat and cool off the Inner layer of the shuttle. If you heat up a piece of tile at a temperature that able to melt a steel, the tile will stay with it's shape and amazingly itself never get hot and you be able to hold up the tile while it is still glowing red after the heating.

Here we see the tile inspection on Space Shuttle Atlantis being prepared for STS-115 mission

06pd1190-m.jpg

These people are actually the crew on board Atlantis STS-115. Inspecting the protection tile under the wing.

06pd1192-m.jpg

This part is the leading edge of a Space Shuttle wing. Columbia STS-107 lost one of these leading edge tiles during launch, which caused it to break apart during reentry.

06pd1194-m.jpg

Here's the protection layer around the cockpit windows. As you can see, each tiles is individually numbered to fit the specific spaces.

Cargo bay maintenance

06pd0565-m.jpg

06pd0010-m.jpg

what you see in the picture above is the robotic arm, well known by NASA as Canada arm. This arm is about to be installed into the shuttle cargo bay

06pd0566-m.jpg

06pd0015-m.jpg

An interesting fact about this mechanical arm: While in space this arm is strong enough to even move the space shuttle from ISS or carry a satellite, but on earth, it cannot even lift itself even for an inch.

Anyone ever wonder, where is the payload. Well, you won't see it here , the space shuttle will be rolled out of the OPF Hangar empty, without any cargo. Find out on next post.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

Chapter 5

Maintenance completed (OPF --> VAB)

After complete undergoing maintenance, the shuttle is ready for roll out. The roll out won't be the same as roll in. A shuttle roll into the hangar on it's own wheel, when rolling out, it is placed on a trailer for transporting since the landing gear is already stored and locked into position.

06pd1637.jpg

on the trailer and ready to leave for Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB)

06pd1639.jpg

06pd1643.jpg

06pd1646.jpg

arriving at the VAB

06pd1641.jpg

I'm continuing on how a shuttle was attached to the stack.

s16.jpg

check out the massive crane that grab the shuttle by the fuselage.

s17.jpg

It's off the ground.

s18.jpg

rolling into position.

s19.jpg

Alligned...

s20.jpg

Attaching...

s21.jpg

Shuttle attached and now undergoing another inspection while in vertical position.

Still, this shuttle cargo bay is empty. This shuttle has a mission and will be carrying a payload but you never see the payload yet and the shuttle is already at the vertical position. It is because the payload is not loaded here in the VAB.

To be continue.....

Wow, very nice, isnt there will be one launch soon?

Yes it is, and Discovery it is.