MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Denny Yen

CI 737-800 overshoots rwy in Saga (Japan)

This was just reported on NHK news. CI's 737-800 overshot rwy while taking-off, and its right landing gear hit threshold lights at the end of the ramp.

This is the same a/c with the 70cm tear on the rear end. It sat on Saga airport's apron for repairs in the past few weeks before Japanese authorities approved it to return to its home-base.

NHK footage showed some debris/smoke under right gear as it left the threshold....apparently hitting something.

ne_im_07100601.jpg

The remains of the threshold light (severed electrical wiring) by the a/c right gear...this spot is 60m from the rwy's ending.

ne_im_07100602.jpg

The NHK article and newscaster seems to be quoting that the pilot said that the speedometer (or whatever they call it in aviation) was not functioning at the time of rotation. Aircraft returned to Saga shortly after the troubled took off.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/2007/10/06/k20071006000019.html

This article (in Japanese) describes that pilot only discovered the malfunctioning speedo during the start of rotation. The Japanese Ministry of Transport had requested China Airlines to file a complete report of the incident.

Edited by S V Choong

Why didn't the flight crews perform RTO right after discovering the failure of the speed indicator? Pretty sure they found out the failure way before V1... when airspeed doesn't come alive after 30 (or 40?) kts... Daring act...

Either way it is fishy , Based on the amount of power he had , he sure would've had a rough estimation on when he should rotate even if the IAS indicator wasn't functioning properly

1st thing to do .. when u apply power... " airspeed alive" .... if its dead...RTO

Pretty sure they spot the problem at 80kts callout. Then both looking inside to sort out the problem. until they finally decided to look outside again.

hope this is not another incident where the pitot is blocked by a masking tape or something else when the ground crew cleans the aircraft. (Edit: I found out it was Aeroperu's flight 603)

I guess the pilot perform RTO after V1. I don't think the ASI died so ngam ngam when the time the plane is going to rotate.

CI is going to be REAL famous :)

Edited by Loh Wilson

CI are looking to write off their fleet of 738s. Nice new livery but same pilots i guess. look at pictures in kai tak. most of the aircraft that ran off the runway were CI.

Die-nasty is really funny liam...hahahaha. not funny for the passengers though.

Sign in to follow this