MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AK: Asia’s best low-cost airline 2007

Thank you for all the cheap fares, AK. Upcoming trips with AK this year: BKI, DPS, CNX, LGK.

===

The Star

Tuesday July 31, 2007

Asia’s best low-cost airline

SEPANG: AirAsia was named the Best Low-Cost airline in the Asia 2007 regional worldwide category by Skytrax Research of London, the world’s most popular, independent travel forum and air travel information website.

From operating only with two Boeing 737-300s in 2002, AirAsia now has a fleet of 56 aircraft serving more than 75 domestic and international routes to Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Macau and parts of China.

Group CEO of the airline, Datuk Tony Fernandes said: “It is an honour to receive this accolade. To be known as one of the best in the Asian region in only five years is an astounding success story.”

+++

Same here. AK has enabled me to travel further and with more frequency to places I'd never imagined I'd bothered to go. It is like getting airline staff discounts even though one does not work with the airlines.

Recently returned from TWU, and to MYY next week, just for the fun of flying for cheap and see places along the way.

Edited by Rozhan

Recently returned from TWU, and to MYY next week, just for the fun of flying for cheap and see places along the way.

MYY next week? You should be FAX-ing yourself to MZV, just 30min away from MYY. :D

+++

MYY next week? You should be FAX-ing yourself to MZV, just 30min away from MYY. :D

+++

I'll be FAX-ing myself to Limbang... just to try out FAX before they close shop (at least their RAS). Planned for a Twin Otter to Limbang, and the F50 back to Miri. Hope no flight cancellations either way.

I plan to visit Mulu later this year. The cave pictures in your pictorial journeys are simply too fantastic to miss Naim.

a bit OT: why is AK not operating to SGN and flying to HAN only ?

Is this for political reasons (set by Malaysia), as LCC's from SIN are operating to SGN, so, I guess the Vietnamese won't mind...

a bit OT: why is AK not operating to SGN and flying to HAN only ?

Is this for political reasons (set by Malaysia), as LCC's from SIN are operating to SGN, so, I guess the Vietnamese won't mind...

Vietnamese goverment objection,to save AirVietnam from AK onslaught.Flight to HAN are almost always full now,even with flights 2 times a day.

AK may be the largest LCC in Asean but certainly is not the most customers friendly.

Cebu Pacific 5J is more civilised with assigned seats.

:drinks:

In an article in today's papers, AK will start a 'money back' program in about 2 month's time if one's flight is delayed more than 3 hours. I think that sounds good.

Current insurance at Go Insure will compensate for delays from 6 hours upwards.

In an article in today's papers, AK will start a 'money back' program in about 2 month's time if one's flight is delayed more than 3 hours. I think that sounds good.

Current insurance at Go Insure will compensate for delays from 6 hours upwards.

That sounds good and Im sure AK will have no choice but to pay for the compensation if flight is delayed. I wonder if they refund the full fare or part of it? :rolleyes:

03-08-2007: AirAsia to refund money for long delays

by Lee Yu Tang

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Bhd will soon introduce a policy of refunds to passengers in the event of long flight delays, group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said.

“With our newer fleet we’re now beginning to be more confident. In the past AirAsia was seen as a delay airline, but with a younger fleet and our efficient crew we think we can start to put our money where our mouth is,” he told reporters after a signing ceremony between Tune Money and Celcom (Malaysia) Bhd to launch a prepaid Visa card.

Fernandes said the refund policy was a month to two from being implemented. It will likely cover flights that are delayed for two hours or more.

“We’re looking at maybe giving back 50% of the ticket price for a two-hour delay and a full refund for a three-hour delay.”

AirAsia reported an on-time performance of 86% in June, slightly above its six-month average of 84%.

Fernandes said the refund policy was part of a series of product and service enhancements.

“We think it’s very important because we’ve won a lot of awards but not a service award. We’re looking to improve all the time.”

AirAsia will also begin offering warm meals to passengers through a web-booking system, Fernandes said. Passengers who pre-order their meals can pick them up from a retail outlet operated by AirAsia in KLIA before boarding their flights.

The added services allow AirAsia to earn more revenue from its passengers. Last month, the low-cost carrier (LCC) introduced priority boarding where it charges passengers RM20 each for the privilege of being first in line to board a flight.

Fernandes is also pushing for Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd to construct LCC terminals in Penang and Kuching.

“I think there is an urgent need for AirAsia to get one, particularly in Penang as Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon has asked me many times, and we are very keen to start the LCCT operations both in Penang and Kuching.”

----

Instead of us waiting for food to be serve on board, we pick the food ourself from the airport. What the... :help: ?

I think food pick-up will offer more choice as the plane can't bring everything and please everyone, like if nasi lemak runs out and there is no other choice left but sandwiches and processed food like cup noodles etc.

Now I wonder if refunds will include those taxes.

I expect the chance of delays in the future will not be too common with the new planes. My recent flight to TWU was on time and arrived 5 minutes earlier, and return to KUL was on time at 2100 and arrived 25 minutes earlier than schedule. Great to catch a cab home before 50% midnight surcharge kicks in.

Edited by Rozhan

why need a LCCT in KCH? even the new terminal is still under utilized...

Sign in to follow this