MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Hans

TUDM SU-30 ETA?

hi Guys,

my first post on this forum, but nice to see there's so many enthusiasts in Malaysia.

Just a quick question, anyone among you who knows when the first SU-30 will arrive in Msia? Would like to catch soonest, but Gong Kedak is far away. How about malaysia national day? Are there any other special events where the new hot bird can be seen?

Thanks in advance!

HAns.

Hi there Hans, welcome to MalaysianWings, nice to see new active members.... :D

We hope that u enjoy being here as we do... :good:

Regarding your question, our own SU-30MKM will be perform at LIMA'07 this coming December...

I have a few questions too.

1. What will the primary role of the SU-30 MKM be? Air superiority or ground attack? Or will it be a swing role aircraft?

2. Will the R-77 AAM be part of the purchase?

Thanks in advance. I tried to look for these info on the net but no joy so far. :blink:

I believe much of the duties of the SU-30 during its lifespan with RMAF will be for training, air shows and Merdeka parades.

I read that the US released American-equivalent to the R-77 (AMRAAM) to Thailand's and Singapore's air forces because of the introduction of the R-77 to RMAF. The US gov did not want to be the first to introduce such weapons in this region even though the respective air forces have bought them. But since Russia released the R-77 to RMAF, then neighbouring countries should be armed likewise

Any idea as to what weapons the RMAF's F-18's are 'armed' with ?

'Armed' so quoted as I understand from another thread here that authorization is required from uncle Sam before anything can be released in anger from our hornets

Nothing more then Sidewinder ( air to air )....for air to ground, i didn't know but from what believe, there is a bunch of maverick at B'worth....

thanks for your quick reply. Am an active spotter in singapore, but want to do more in Malaysia. Definately easier to do spotting there. I've already booked flight and hotel (almost all of them already now fully booked!!!) but would like to catch them earlier.

Heard something bout a flyby on national day.

Can imagine that TUDM after spending many millions would like to show off their new toys a bit sooner than December :yahoo:

Just curious :rofl:

I believe much of the duties of the SU-30 during its lifespan with RMAF will be for training, air shows and Merdeka parades.

the same applies to most countries' air force.

Heard that the RMAF F-18s have Harpoon ASM as well.

Rozhan, indeed US has released the AMRAAM to Thai and Sg but they will be kept in US soil until such a time that they are required.

Agree.

Can expect to see them in LIMA this year.

I certainly hope so and may it remain to be so. The other alternative, of being forced into combat duties, not a palatable one at all

..... US has released the AMRAAM to Thai and Sg but they will be kept in US soil until such a time that they are required.

Wah, dia orang also kena ah !!

hi Guys,

Looks like TUDM is taking delivery of the first two SU-30's today! :clapping:

From Msia's national news agency:

qte

Malaysia takes Delivery Of new SU-30MKM Fighters

Malaysian National News Agency ^ | May 23, 2007 | Mohd Haikal Mohd Isa

Posted on 05/23/2007 6:04:42 AM PDT by sukhoi-30mki

RMAF Takes Delivery Of Sukhoi SU-30MKM Fighter Aircraft

From Mohd Haikal Mohd Isa

IRKUTSK (Russia), May 23 (Bernama) -- After a four-year wait, the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) will take delivery of two Sukhoi SU-30MKM multi-role fighter aircraft Thursday.

They will be the first two of 18 aircraft ordered by Malaysia in May 2003, being the most sophisticated aircraft of its kind in Southeast Asia.

Chief of Air Force Jen Datuk Seri Azizan Ariffin and Defence Ministry Secretary-General Tan Sri Ahmad Latffi Hashim will receive the aircraft on behalf of the Malaysian government at the Irkut Aircraft Corporation manufacturing plant here.

Malaysia and the Russian government agency, Rosoboronexport, signed a US$900 million (RM3.4 billion) contract for 18 Sukhoi Su-30MKM (Modernizirovannyi Kommercheskiy Malaysia or Modernised Commercial Malaysia) aircraft.

In return for the purchase, Russia agreed to train and send a Malaysian astronaut to the International Space Station (ISS).

The 16 other Su-30MKM aircraft will be delivered to Malaysia in stages up to the middle of next year.

unqte

SUPER!!! :drinks:

One part of me is happy that my country now boasts a modern fighter aircraft.

The other part feels sad to see such waste of money :sorry:

Theres a lot more benefit to be gained if the govt invested the money in the rakyat.

Anyway i would like to see the pics too..

Su-30MKM, MKM = Malaysia export market. A noticeable difference is whether or not it has canards. If the aircraft has canards, then it is equipped with thrust-vectoring control (TVC) engines. This version is used by Indian Air Force.

This is a canard version:

Su-30MK_02.jpg

VECTOR THRUST........ :yahoo:

Saw it in local news tonight....its not delivery, its roll out...

VECTOR THRUST........ :yahoo:

Saw it in local news tonight....its not delivery, its roll out...

Taking delivery does not necessarily mean arrival on M'sian soil. Just like MH taking delivery of Boeings at Paine Field.

i think ours will be equipped with the Al-31FP if im not mistaken..

yeap...the su30mkm does include the front canards with thrust vectoring as well...im alredi drooling by the fact that we got this plane with specs almost identical to the indian su30 MKI..my god..people have been saying that the MKI is better then the su37 terminator and we are ownig 18 of it!LIMA 07 will be a must for me!!

Looking at the photos I noticed four interesting features that is distinctive to the MKM.

1) Ahead of the canopy, on the nose, off-set to the left, it appears to be a set of four blades that looks similar to the 'Bird-Slicer' IFF fitted on the F-16ADF.

2) Small blister, right below the tip of the root extension (LERX). Warning receiver?

3) Blister under nose, just ahead of the nose gear door cover.

4) Enlarged rudder. Compare it to other Su-30s.