MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sheba Wistiti

British Airways at Kuala Lumpur

Hello,

I would like to know if the spotters on this forums know what gates BA used to be assigned to, when they were still flying to Kuala Lumpur Intl. I've already done some research on the internet, but I couldn't find what I need to know. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sheba Wistiti

AIM: ShebaWistiti

Virtual British Airways Manager

SimAirline.net - "Virtual Airlines of Choice"

http://www.simairline.net

Hi Sheba Wistiti,

Sadly, BA do not fly to KUL any more.

Yea,

British Airways and Air France were the 2 airlines I missed the most from Kuala Lumpur. I was wondering does any one know when did they stop their services to Malaysia? I know Air France stopped flying to Malaysia during the Tajuddin era about 7 to 9 years ago arguably something about him threatening the French for more slots in France if my memory serves me correctly. How about British Airways? WHen and why did they stop the ops into Malaysia(probably due to route saturation right? MH used to have 2 daily flights to London Heathrow from KL {on some days even 3 one via Dubai} just not too sure if that is still on today or not)? I really hope that they continue the flights back to KL in the near future.

Best regards,

Darren Liew

Edited by Darren Liew

Did AF ever serve KUL? I didn't know that. I know UTA did.

BA stopped services to KUL shortly after KLIA Sepang opened. Somewhere in 1998 if IIRC. BA 747s did get the chance to utilise the airport.

Edited by H Azmal

Hello,

I would like to know if the spotters on this forums know what gates BA used to be assigned to, when they were still flying to Kuala Lumpur Intl. I've already done some research on the internet, but I couldn't find what I need to know. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sheba Wistiti

Hi Sheba,

I'm can't remember when BA quit coming to KUL. But from your siggy,

you're most probably planning a 'virtual' flight route for BA to KUL,

and trying to 'fix' a gate for your airline...

Well, if I remember correctly, most European airline (well there're only

3 that I know of, Austrian, KLM & Lufthansa) that serving KUL are assigned to the gates

on the Satellite South Apron, with the contact stand C1, C3, C34 & C36... but Lufthansa that

used to fly their A346, was assigned to gate C17, before the gate closed for A380 upgrading works,

and Lufthansa bringing in their B744 now...

So, if you assign your BA aircraft (B744 or T7?), you wouldn't be out of place in Satellite South Apron ;)

BA stopped services to KUL shortly after KLIA Sepang opened. Somewhere in 1998 if IIRC. BA 747s did get the chance to utilise the airport.

They were still flying into KUL in 1999. A few of my friends flew into SYD from KLIA to watch Manchester United play the Socceroos at the (then) brand new Sydney Olympic Stadium. They flew on a BA plane which incidentally also had a code share with Qantas.

BA was still in KUL until 2000. Were using the 772. I remember i saw the plane around 3.45PM (i was inside MH068, back to BKI).

BA was still in KUL until 2000. Were using the 772. I remember i saw the plane around 3.45PM (i was inside MH068, back to BKI).

Didn't know they lasted that long. And on a 772 some more. I earlier said 1998 because I remember them pulling out shortly after my A-Levels at MCB were terminated because of the economic down turn, and BA cited that the fees were too much to justify the dwindling number of pax. Well memory must be playing tricks on me. :D

Thank you for the replies.

Allow me to give you some more information about my intentions. As you might have read in my signature, I am the (virtual) manager of Virtual British Airways at www.simairline.net. We base our operations on the real-world flights of our airlines and in some cases, we offer discontinued routes too. This is the case for the BA flight to Kuala Lumpur. Next to that, we offer custom-made terminal maps, where we indicate at which gate you should be assigned if you want to make it 'as real as it gets'. That's why I needed the gate assignments for BA.

Thank you for the quick replies, I appreciate it, and every flight simmer and flight enthousiast is hereby invited to come visit us. :D

Sheba Wistiti

Edited by Sheba Wistiti

Sheba,

Welcome to MW: our 1st Belgian member I believe ;)

Hope you'll enjoy it overhere - plenty of FSIMmers as members :pardon:

I did remember seeing the AF B744 landing in KL Subang a long time ago. Could be a UTA flight using AF equipment? I am really not sure cuz I dint really pay much attention to the details.

THanks,

Darren Liew

I believe it was March 2001.

Yea,

British Airways and Air France were the 2 airlines I missed the most from Kuala Lumpur. I was wondering does any one know when did they stop their services to Malaysia? I know Air France stopped flying to Malaysia during the Tajuddin era about 7 to 9 years ago arguably something about him threatening the French for more slots in France if my memory serves me correctly. How about British Airways? WHen and why did they stop the ops into Malaysia(probably due to route saturation right? MH used to have 2 daily flights to London Heathrow from KL {on some days even 3 one via Dubai} just not too sure if that is still on today or not)? I really hope that they continue the flights back to KL in the near future.

Best regards,

Darren Liew

I do recall using BA from KLIA on two occassions and it was both times from C36! Hope that helps! (This was their T7s by the way)

Thank you, that's the kind of information I need.

To answer the question why BA doesn't serve Kuala Lumpur anymore, BA has dropped many of its Asian routes over the last few years because they weren't lucrative enough, whereas Lufthansa, KLM, Air France, and so on did make money on those routes. Also, Cathay Pacific, a OneWorld Alliance member, is now flying a number of Asian routes. BA considers it better to park his passengers on CX flights.

my wish for BA is to fly its Concorde to KLIA>.>>....if they really fly to KLIA..I surely buy a new digicam to take the picture.... :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: ...u guys this KLIA can support concorde?

my wish for BA is to fly its Concorde to KLIA>.>>....if they really fly to KLIA..I surely buy a new digicam to take the picture.... :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: ...u guys this KLIA can support concorde?

hehehe yeah why not, if they were still flying.. but years ago, Malaysia didn't allow scheduled Concorde services to operate over Malaysia during a short operating period of one of BA's concordes with SIA (half the aircraft was painted with SIA Livery and the other half remained in BA Livery). The reason was due to Noise Pollution.

BA and SIA experimented with the supersonic services between SIN and LHR I beleive. It was a multi-stop flight including stops in the Middle East and some other places. The Jounrey was of course shorter, but the stops I guess made it a little economicalyl non-feasible! - Not to mention the Malaysian (And Indonesian?) salt and pepper added in :)

Quote Sandeep G:

but years ago, Malaysia didn't allow scheduled Concorde services to operate over Malaysia during a short operating period of one of BA's concordes with SIA (half the aircraft was painted with SIA Livery and the other half remained in BA Livery). The reason was due to Noise Pollution.

Sorry to go off-topic. Malaysia banned the Concorde from its airspace citing damage to its fishery and husbandry industries . . . but was prepared to grant it rights if BA switches operatings to KUL instead. Indonesia similarly banned the Concorde citing ASEAN solidarity with Malaysia. Isn't it curious how this world works?

In any case, the 9.5hrs the Concorde took to cover the SIN-BAH-LHR route no longer proved attractive compared to today's 12-13hr nonstop service using subsonic aircraft.

Back to the topic: Did BA not at one time operate the L-1011-500 into KUL?

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

i remember seeing a BA 744 at KUL when i have a school field trip to KUL. that was my first visit to KUL. and i remember seeing AF parked at subang back in 1994 also a Northwest 742

Sad sad, only two European Airlines left at KUL after OS leave. This is all due to the boost of Mid East Airlines to Malaysia, people rather use them, cheap price + better services. May be MAHB can terminae all the Mid East, then we can see European rival :clapping:

Edited by Seth K

i remember seeing a BA 744 at KUL when i have a school field trip to KUL. that was my first visit to KUL. and i remember seeing AF parked at subang back in 1994 also a Northwest 742

Those were the days :(

Sad sad, only two European Airlines left at KUL after OS leave. This is all due to the boost of Mid East Airlines to Malaysia, people rather use them, cheap price + better services. May be MAHB can terminae all the Mid East, then we can see European rival :clapping:

Better than 0 at MEL when OS leaves us in March 07. :( :(

Hi there guys,

In order for the Concorde to operate out of KLIA they must first "measure" the runways. This does not really mean distance but also the "bumpiness" of the runway as well. The Concorde`s Vr is very high say 190 plus knots IAS and you certainly would not want to run over a rough patch at those velocities. A B744`s normal Vr for a heavy departure is about 170 knots normally(according to what I can see on my dad`s B744 performance charts). In terms of length KLIA`s two runways definitely can handle multiple Concorde departures/ landings :rofl: which in fact the Concorde can take off with no problems on reheats in about 7000 to 8000 feet with a normal payload which meant that it could even go to Kuching International(OMG my hometown...Am I dreaming or what?? :clapping: ) .

I really hope that they can revive the Concordes back into operation but then again the extreme costs of just pumping back in the hyd fluids into BA`s Concordes is way too expensive.

Darren Liew

Edited by Darren Liew

Sign in to follow this