MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ahmad Sharilamin

Singapore Airlines leases 19 A330-300 from Airbus

ROLLS-ROYCE TRENT 700 ENGINES SELECTED

TO POWER A330-300 FLEET

Singapore Airlines has selected the Rolls-Royce Trent 700 engine to power 19 Airbus A330-300’s, scheduled for delivery between 2009 and 2011. The aircraft will be delivered new, on operating leases from Airbus.

Under the terms of the leases, Singapore Airlines had a choice from among the three makes of engines available for the aircraft. The selection was made following the technical assessments of the engines and evaluation of offers from all the three manufacturers.

Singapore Airlines signed a Letter of Intent today with Rolls-Royce to provide engines, spares and maintenance under a TotalCare Services Agreement.

Rolls-Royce will be responsible for the provision of off-wing maintenance, repair and overhaul of engines, as well as spare engine support. The engines will be repaired and overhauled at Singapore Aero Engine Services Limited (SAESL) - a Joint Venture company, owned by SIA Engineering Company Limited and Rolls-Royce.

Source: Singapore Airlines Limited.

Probably for delay on A350s on order....

Wow, Good News for SQ..

Wonder Wht Routes the A333 will Operate?

Very smart idea from SQ :good: :good: , buying A330s to offset the A380 delay and their upcoming 787 and A350 :mellow: :o :good: .

Very smart idea from SQ :good: :good: , buying A330s to offset the A380 delay and their upcoming 787 and A350 :mellow: :o :good: .

Andrew, remember, they HAVE to add aircraft to their fleet, they are facing a crisis in capacity due to the early retirement of the 744s (which weren't really "early" but now are because of the A380 delay), and of course the A380 delay. It's unfortunate they can't source in 777s for their fleet (Would be cheaper), but it would probably be safe to assume that the A330s are part of an offset programme and compensation package offered by Airbus. But, I'm guessing their A345 pilots will grow in numbers and will be flying both types like in many other airlines.

Andrew, remember, they HAVE to add aircraft to their fleet, they are facing a crisis in capacity due to the early retirement of the 744s (which weren't really "early" but now are because of the A380 delay), and of course the A380 delay. It's unfortunate they can't source in 777s for their fleet (Would be cheaper), but it would probably be safe to assume that the A330s are part of an offset programme and compensation package offered by Airbus. But, I'm guessing their A345 pilots will grow in numbers and will be flying both types like in many other airlines.

Let me get this straight: So SQ is retiring all of their B744s and replace it with the A380 and the A345 and B777 fleet will increase? :huh: :help:

Let me get this straight: So SQ is retiring all of their B744s and replace it with the A380 and the A345 and B777 fleet will increase? :huh: :help:

A345 will not increase - the additional options have been cancelled.

B777 will be phased out and replaced with the 787s and A350s.

Phasing out the B777...honestly i dont see the logic behind that. Its known to be one of the safest and most reliable aircraft ever built. Phasing out the aircraft and relying on the A350 isnt a very smart move..Airbus is known to make few mistakes in every new aircraft they roll out...

A345 will not increase - the additional options have been cancelled.

Another blow to the A340 programme.

Seems like SQ has now covered pretty much every single fleet type of the Airbus family

A300, A310, A330 and A340 - Singapore Airlines

A320 - Silk Air (aka "Sick" Air)

B777 will be phased out and replaced with the 787s and A350s.

Actually, only some regional 772ER will be replaced by the 333. We will also see the SQ 333 serving the SIN/KUL & SIN/PEN sector too. The 350 is probably to replace the current 772ER fitted with Spacebeds flying long-haul. It's still too early to announce a replacement for their 77W.

Well 9V-SQF would be replaced by the A333 quite nicely (it's the only non-ER type in the SQ 772 Fleet).

Also, I don't think you'll see the immediate retirement of the 777 fleet. SQ is VERY happy with the 777s and will probably order replacement 777s. The 787 fleet (an order for 20 only) and the A350 fleet (I seriously regard this order as "up in the air") is probably to boost regional capacity.. flying to destinations like Amritsar and Penang (and even Kuala Lumpur) is not the most ideal route for a 777.. in terms of load and cycles..

The 787 is designed to be utilised for high cycle short-medium haul sectors with high-load and moderate cargo volumes.. its the ideal fleet gap filler, particulalry for SQ.

If the 777s are to be retired (replaced), then they will definately start with the 9V-SQ*s and 9V-SR*s as those are some of the oldest... i think 9V-SQA is 1997 build - so that's 10 years and considered OLD for SQs fleet..

SQ prides itself on being a carrier that continuously recycles fleets so as to derive cost benefit in terms of reduced maintenance overheads and also their pursuit for technological innovation to maintain their position at the lead of the market. SIA being the youngest fleet in the world, incurs low maintenance costs and low fuel expenses delivering reliable flight performance.

Average fleet age of SQ fleet is arounf 60-70 months!!! That's 5-7 years roughly..

As for the A345s.... hmmm..... i would love to be a fly on the wall at SQ Engineering and Flight Ops to find out how well the aircraft are actually performing as compared to the projected figures of Boeings 777-200LR. Don't be suprised if one day soon, SIA announces an order for the 772LR.. LeeCH... then I really really really envy you! hahaha :good:

Well 9V-SQF would be replaced by the A333 quite nicely (it's the only non-ER type in the SQ 772 Fleet).

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks. Any idea why this particular 772 is non-ER model ?

The 787 is designed to be utilised for high cycle short-medium haul sectors with high-load and moderate cargo volumes.. its the ideal fleet gap filler, particulalry for SQ.

But the 787 SQ ordered is the 789. Which is just like a smaller version of 772ER. Anyway, according to the SIA official press release, they will ultilise the 789 mainly on short-medium haul sectors.

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks. Any idea why this particular 772 is non-ER model ?

Not too sure, but if you notice, all the 9V-SQ* and 9V-SR* aircraft are powered by Trent 884s as opposed to the Trent 892, which I believe is employed on all the 9V-SV* series aircraft... which would mean that they are all non-ER types....... hmmmm..... I'm a bit confused now........ Singapore Airlines website lists the SQ* and SR* registration series as non-ER, so let's go with that!

Not too sure, but if you notice, all the 9V-SQ* and 9V-SR* aircraft are powered by Trent 884s as opposed to the Trent 892, which I believe is employed on all the 9V-SV* series aircraft... which would mean that they are all non-ER types....... hmmmm..... I'm a bit confused now........ Singapore Airlines website lists the SQ* and SR* registration series as non-ER, so let's go with that!

They're all the ER type, the just that the Trent 884 has a lower thrust rating compared to the Trent 892. Hence for this reason, SQ's website lists them without the -ER, although they are.

I could be wrong though, LeeCH... :help:

Edited by TW Teo

Please explain what is the difference between an ER and a nonER?

I was on an ER flying to HK, and a nonER coming back. What I noticed was the lavatory doors were different... ;) Hmm...

Please explain what is the difference between an ER and a nonER?

I was on an ER flying to HK, and a nonER coming back. What I noticed was the lavatory doors were different... ;) Hmm...

ER = Extended Range

Basically, the ER has additional fuel capacity, with increased MTOW and range with higher thrust ratings for the engines.

-ER stands for "Extended Range", I believe they have extra fuel tanks onboard. From passenger's point of view, you wouldn't notice any difference between the two. Boeing has a few -ER aircraft:

Boeing 737-900ER (different from normal -900)

Boeing 747-400ER (different from normal -400, so far QF is the operator of the pax version)

Boeing 747-400ERF (-ER version of the Freighter)

Boeing 767-200ER

Boeing 767-300ER

Boeing 777-200ER

Boeing 777-300ER (with raked wingtip and huge GE90 engine)

In addition to that Boeing has created the ultimate -LR series (Longer Range) for the 777-200, known as the "777-200LR" shares similar equipment with the 777-300ER, huge GE90 engine and raked wingtips.

SQ's 772 are all 777-212ERs. Some with different software hence the derated engines. This is what I gathered from other enthusiats.

Edited by S V Choong

-ER stands for "Extended Range", I believe they have extra fuel tanks onboard. From passenger's point of view, you wouldn't notice any difference between the two. Boeing has a few -ER aircraft:

Boeing 737-900ER (different from normal -900)

Boeing 747-400ER (different from normal -400, so far QF is the operator of the pax version)

Boeing 747-400ERF (-ER version of the Freighter)

Boeing 767-200ER

Boeing 767-300ER

Boeing 777-200ER

Boeing 777-300ER (with raked wingtip and huge GE90 engine)

In addition to that Boeing has created the ultimate -LR series (Longer Range) for the 777-200, known as the "777-200LR" shares similar equipment with the 777-300ER, huge GE90 engine and raked wingtips.

SQ's 772 are all 777-212ERs. Some with different software hence the derated engines. This is what I gathered from other enthusiats.

Actually, my question was centered on passengers point of view. So, thanks, you got my point! I'm aware ER stands for "extended range" and I wanted some comparisons between ER and nonER. Thus, ER probably has larger fuel tank and higher thrusts and in operations POV they are different. Hmm...

Does the ER share type rating with nonER? In the same spirit, do -200 and -300 share type rating?

Does the ER share type rating with nonER? In the same spirit, do -200 and -300 share type rating?

Yups! LeeCH gets to fly ALL of SQs 777 Fleet INCLUDING the 77Ws! Lucky duck! B)

Phasing out the B777...honestly i dont see the logic behind that. Its known to be one of the safest and most reliable aircraft ever built. Phasing out the aircraft and relying on the A350 isnt a very smart move..Airbus is known to make few mistakes in every new aircraft they roll out...

replace 777 with 787.....mostly.....ok lah.

replace 777 with 787.....mostly.....ok lah.

Replacing 777 with 787 is not a smart move, this plane can serve well in 10 years to come or so, just like 747! May be increase the fleet size with 787 might sound more reasonable and lease oout a couple of 777 to other airlines is a better way to produce money. After all 787 is not in service yet, so performance is not guarantee, but I hope 787 new technology don't kill 777 cuz I haven't get bore flying in this tube :good:

Replacing 777 with 787 is not a smart move, this plane can serve well in 10 years to come or so, just like 747! May be increase the fleet size with 787 might sound more reasonable and lease oout a couple of 777 to other airlines is a better way to produce money. After all 787 is not in service yet, so performance is not guarantee, but I hope 787 new technology don't kill 777 cuz I haven't get bore flying in this tube :good:

SIA's fleet has always gone for quick changes to maintain high efficiency of aircraft and minimize maintenance impacts. They will no doubt lease their 777s to other airlines (You might even see MAS try grab a few) and this will earn them a killing as 777s are hard to come by on the lease market - especially with carriers like Emirates now facing a capacity crisis in lieu of the A380 delay.

The 787 is perfect for SIA as it is an aircraft with projected reduced maintenance and operating costs thereby being able to maximise revenue for SIA on short-to-medium haul routes.

SIA's fleet has always gone for quick changes to maintain high efficiency of aircraft and minimize maintenance impacts. They will no doubt lease their 777s to other airlines (You might even see MAS try grab a few) and this will earn them a killing as 777s are hard to come by on the lease market - especially with carriers like Emirates now facing a capacity crisis in lieu of the A380 delay.

The 787 is perfect for SIA as it is an aircraft with projected reduced maintenance and operating costs thereby being able to maximise revenue for SIA on short-to-medium haul routes.

Is SIA on restructuring plan to constantly modernize their aircraft fleet? :huh:

Sign in to follow this