MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tony

Boeing 747-8 Freighter

When I say.." on the other aircrafts ", I meant on the other EMIRATES aircrafts.

Sandeep,

I have to second your statement...who's making more money? If passengers REALLY REALLY hated the seats...they can just fly MAS...and based on load factors for routes which both EK/MH operate, namely the KUL-DXB-KUL sector, passengers clearly prefer EK's service over that offered by MH.

In essence.."The passengers have spoken..".. :rofl:

well when you're flying first gen A333s vs 77Ws and Newer A332s, what can you expect. The passengers don't even have to speak :)

its also cheaper to fly emirates than MH - i'm sure cost is a significant factor when it comes to malaysia. better suffer in cramped seats and pay less than to fly in larger seat but pay more. that's malaysian mentality.

its also cheaper to fly emirates than MH - i'm sure cost is a significant factor when it comes to malaysia. better suffer in cramped seats and pay less than to fly in larger seat but pay more. that's malaysian mentality.

MH=MYR3198 on the A330-200 (KUL-DXB-KUL)

EK=AED3093 on the 77W (KUL-DXB-KUL)

What i find surprising is that when viewing the fare breakdown of both fares, pax buying the MH ticket pay over 600 ringgit in tax wherelse pax buying the EK ticket pay only 76 ringgit in tax. :blink:

MH=MYR3198 on the A330-200 (KUL-DXB-KUL)

EK=AED3093 on the 77W (KUL-DXB-KUL)

What i find surprising is that when viewing the fare breakdown of both fares, pax buying the MH ticket pay over 600 ringgit in tax wherelse pax buying the EK ticket pay only 76 ringgit in tax. :blink:

Support local products campaign has been effective after all............

Edited by Seth K

Support local products campaign has been effective after all............

Heh? :huh:

..... when viewing the fare breakdown of both fares, pax buying the MH ticket pay over 600 ringgit in tax .....

I just booked the family's year end holiday this evening - am resisting urge to work out how much is actual air fare and how much goes into taxes, fuel surcharges (hasn't oil prices gone down lately ?!) etc etc for fear of resulting heartache thereafter ! :)

I just booked the family's year end holiday this evening - am resisting urge to work out how much is actual air fare and how much goes into taxes, fuel surcharges (hasn't oil prices gone down lately ?!) etc etc for fear of resulting heartache thereafter ! :)

Good point, BC. Question is, will the fuel surcharges ever be lifted? I doubt.

EDIT: Well, SQ did reduce it as a matter of fact... :sorry: Look here.... http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....indpost&p=79251

Edited by Tony

realistically, the "Fuel Surcharge" is simply a gimmick used by the airlines to permit them to have a "price war" on the ticket (ex taxes and surcharges of course), and we note that this is in lieu of the sudden surge of LCC carriers which readily advertise rock-bottom prices "FROM" RM1.99 for example...

My concern is: If you pay for a ticket, you assume that the ticket cost has a factor in it that covers fuel - that's pretty much a necessity for air travel and hence should be included in the normal ticket price... I feel if there were no LCCs then the evolution of this "price marketing" would hve stammered, and we would just see slightly higher normal airfares - incorporating the so called "fuel surcharge".. this would make economic sense... especially with the price of fuel being so volatile...

However, the airlines are making money from it, and there are many consumer watchdogs i've heard investigating the legality of the surcharge.. we await to se the outcome.

Meanwhile, back to topic, Imran.. the difference in taxes - Dubai Tax Free, Emirates got subsidy. hence the difference :) MAS and all the airlines of the world can complain of unlevel playing field in this regard... and they do.. but there's not much they can do about it.

Edited by Sandeep G

realistically, the "Fuel Surcharge" is simply a gimmick used by the airlines to permit them to have a "price war" on the ticket (ex taxes and surcharges of course),

Meanwhile, back to topic, Imran.. the difference in taxes - Dubai Tax Free, Emirates got subsidy. hence the difference :) MAS and all the airlines of the world can complain of unlevel playing field in this regard... and they do.. but there's not much they can do about it.

I paid RM893 for Tax and fuel surcharge on EK for KUL/DXB, DXB/LHR. LHR/DXB/KUL.

Imran I have flown Emirates for the last 9 years on their A300, A310, A330 & B777. I only find their B77W seats uncomfortable with it's high density and 10 seats abreast configuration. Please don't get so defensive...... it's only my opinion. I have always rated Emirates very highly in my choice for flying to Europe even though I could pay a little bit more on MH and fly non-stop in 12 hours to LHR instead for 17 to 20 hours via DXB. I wasn't even informed by EK during booking or nor was it indicated on the ticket that my return flight was via SIN, which added 3 hours more to the flight including transit.

Edited by Alan B.

I paid RM893 for Tax and fuel surcharge on EK for KUL/DXB, DXB/LHR. LHR/DXB/KUL.

Imran I have flown Emirates for the last 9 years on their A300, A310, A330 & B777. I only find their B77W seats uncomfortable with it's high density and 10 seats abreast configuration. Please don't get so defensive...... it's only my opinion. I have always rated Emirates very highly in my choice for flying to Europe even though I could pay a little bit more on MH and fly non-stop in 12 hours to LHR instead for 17 to 20 hours via DXB. I wasn't even informed by EK during booking or nor was it indicated on the ticket that my return flight was via SIN, which added 3 hours more to the flight including transit.

Dun wory bro, say what you like! free country, Imran is a mature fellow and will take whatever you tell him :) But yes, I always too felt that 10 abreast was too much.

That return flight from DXB via SIN is a killer and they DON'T inform their pax when bookings are made.. my Aunty recently came down from LGW, and flew with EK via DXB.. little did she know, DXB is a mess with the new construction and over-crowded, and the 5-6 hour layover in DXB would be a killer, which would be further worsened by a stop in SIN which she wasn't aware of..

I really think they could afford to send seperate aircraft to KUL, but I believe they have 5th freedom rights from SIN and are loading passengers ex-SIN from EK flights arriving there from Australia and bringing them to Malaysia...... again.... very sad for malaysia... but perhaps the loads may be enough to have some EK flights to Aus via KUL. I doubt it though..

Edited by Sandeep G

Don't worry Alan, im not an EK-Commando (although we already have a MH Commando :p ). Your opinion regarding the seats is your perogative...i will not infringe upon that. All in all..i think it comes down to personal preference and personal "size".

A big sized person will find the seats relatively tight...however a 'scarecrow' will obviously find the seat large enough. It's all down to anatomy right? :)

Sandeep,

Emirates receives subsidies?.. :nea: Lets not go down that road...a HUGE debate could ensue :blink: Also...the stop in SIN isn't exactly a killer aye? Sit in the aircraft for another hour...just sleep la :D .

Sandeep,

Emirates receives subsidies?.. :nea: Lets not go down that road...a HUGE debate could ensue :blink: Also...the stop in SIN isn't exactly a killer aye? Sit in the aircraft for another hour...just sleep la :D .

hehehehe yahh whhhaaatttt :) ok ok , we won't debate :) it's not a killer for aerophiliacs like us - the extra landing and take-off is a "cheap" thrill :) but for everyday people (if that is not too politically incorrect to use) it is annoying lah.. especially when you fly over your final destination only to have to sit a few 100 kms south for a couple of hours and then back track towards the end-point of your journey.

..... it's not a killer for aerophiliacs like us - the extra landing and take-off is a "cheap" thrill :) but for everyday people (if that is not too politically incorrect to use) it is annoying lah.. especially when you fly over your final destination only to have to sit a few 100 kms south for a couple of hours and then back track towards the end-point of your journey.

Even for aeropliliacs it can be hard. I love to fly but I had to travel 2 hours to Heathrow, arrive 3 hours before STD (cos security in the UK is still a bitch), plus a 2 hour 50 minute transit at Dubai only to face another 1 hour 40 minute transit is not fun! If I was informed, I would have traveled the next day when the flight is non-stop from DXB. By the way, only a group of maids heading to DXB were the only pax that joined in SIN. The a/c continues with the same flt number back to DXB. There also was another EK flt at SIN that left for DXB just before us. I will still fly EK but this time I will ask and make sure that I get the non-stop flts. This 31st October EK celebrates 10 years of operations into KUL!

This 31st October EK celebrates 10 years of operations into KUL!

Woahh..i didnt know that! Gotta contact some contacts...see whether there's a celebration!

Woahh..i didnt know that! Gotta contact some contacts...see whether there's a celebration!

Imran your first clue is ........ at the corner of Sultan Ismail and Jalan Ampang........

Imran your first clue is ........ at the corner of Sultan Ismail and Jalan Ampang........

Hehehe...I think i'll start with the Shangri-La...

Apparently there's some sort of celebration ball...rumour has it that Sheikh Ahmed himself might fly down...will keep u guys posted.

corner of Sultan Ismail and Jalan Ampang.. isn't that the Renaissance Hotel?

.....I think i'll start with the Shangri-La...

c.. isn't that the Renaissance Hotel?

One of you got it right.......... Don't think the Sheik will be there. Will know the details shortly once the meeting is over in about 3 hours from now...... :p

Edited by Alan B.

One of you got it right.......... Don't think the Sheik will be there. Will know the details shortly once the meeting is over in about 3 hours from now...... :p

Alan....

Are u an undercover EK Employee.... :lol: :pardon:

*edit: Sandeep pwn3d it... :D

Edited by Imran K.

Alan....

Are u an undercover EK Employee.... :lol: :pardon:

*edit: Sandeep pwn3d it... :D

pwn3d? :) hehehehe is that alpha-numeric for "owned" hehehe :D

Imran, are we crashing the party? :drinks:

pwn3d? :) hehehehe is that alpha-numeric for "owned" hehehe :D

Imran, are we crashing the party? :drinks:

Let's hope Lodi the Belly Dancer comes back again for this party :rofl:

Crashing the party....will keep u posted. Alan...are u in? or MC'ing ?

Let's hope Lodi the Belly Dancer comes back again for this party :rofl:

Lodi won't be there...... :(

Nevermind, Imran said he would dress up and do te belly dance if it means getting in to the event - :D :rofl:

p.s. I'm his bodyguard hahaha :lol:

BTW, Are Emirates SkyCargo planning scheduled services to KUL???????? I heard this a while a go from god knows where.. but Etihad was also planning after a few unscheduled services earlier in the year??

Nevermind, Imran said he would dress up and do te belly dance if it means getting in to the event - :D :rofl:

p.s. I'm his bodyguard hahaha :lol:

BTW, Are Emirates SkyCargo planning scheduled services to KUL???????? I heard this a while a go from god knows where.. but Etihad was also planning after a few unscheduled services earlier in the year??

Me..belly dancing...naaa...However the lovely lady in my avatar has consented! (psst...its the Sexy Syrian :lol: ).

As of now...EK Skycargo is focussing on both the African cargo market and the East Asian cargo market, namely Kenya, South Africa, Japan, and China. With regards to Malaysia, they only operate charters off and on...nothing concrete yet. My contact over in EY Cargo has told me that cargo services to/ex KUL was supposed to start in October...however no news yet... :blink:

Wednesday November 1, 2006

Boeing said yesterday that it has settled on the firm configuration of the 747-8 freighter and is aiming to deliver the first of the type to Cargolux in the second half of 2009. The 747-8F will be longer than the dash 400F by 5.6 m. (18.3 ft.) with a maximum structural payload capability of 140 metric tonnes (154 tons) and a range of 8,288 km. (4,475 nm.). It will feature16% more revenue cargo volume than the dash 400F, 14% lower operating cost per ton mile and 17% less fuel burn, the company said.

VP-747/747-8 Program Dan Mooney told reporters in a conference call yesterday that the manufacturer is still working on the firm configuration of the 747-8 Intercontinental passenger version, which it anticipates delivering to an as-yet-undesignated launch customer around August 2010. He noted that the company has lengthened "the baseline fuselage...to be the same as the freighter," a move first flagged by ATWOnline in August. The approximately 2-m.-longer fuselage means the aircraft's range will be shorter but it will be less costly to operate. "The broader market would prefer the [fuselage] length," Mooney said. "We feel that the majority [of airlines] would prefer the better economics to the longer range."

Boeing so far has received 44 orders for the dash 8F but none from airlines for the passenger version. "We could potentially have an order by the end of this year," Mooney said. "But 'confident' is probably too strong a word." In the long run, the manufacturer estimates that two-thirds of dash 8 orders will be for the passenger version. "It's just a matter of time" before orders for the Intercontinental are placed, he said. "It's primarily a timing issue [that has prevented orders thus far]. It's not any issues with the airplane or the market." Firm design will be reached on the dash 8 passenger aircraft within six months, he added.