MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tony

Boeing 747-8 Freighter

Boeing, Emirates Announce Order for 10 747-8 Freighters

Tuesday, 10 October 2006

Dubai (BOEING) - Boeing [NYSE: BA] and Emirates today finalized an order for 10 747-8 Freighters during an official ceremony held at Dubai's Department of Civil Aviation. The ceremonial signing was made by HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, Emirates chairman and CEO, and Boeing's Dubai-based sales director, Ken Schulz.

"Dubai has seen tremendous growth in the opportunities to provide our customers across the globe custom-tailored freight solutions," Sheikh Ahmed explained. "Moreover, developing this side of our business is elemental to Emirates maintaining a leading position amongst the world's airlines and we will take full advantage of the extended capacity these new Boeing freighters offer."

The 10 747-8 Freighters are valued at $2.8 billion at list prices and were previously attributed to an unidentified customer on Boeing's Orders & Deliveries website. Emirates SkyCargo will receive its first delivery of Boeing's latest heavy freighter in 2010. The 747-8F is an advanced design that offers even greater operational efficiency for global freight operations which are based largely on the industry-leading 747 freighter family.

"Boeing would like to congratulate Emirates SkyCargo on its success," Schulz said. "We're confident the 747-8 brings the economics and reliability that will help the company continue to expand its freight-carrying capabilities around the world."

Emirates SkyCargo selected the 747-8F to meet an increased requirement for capacity and operational flexibility. The 747-8F sets the industry standard with the lowest trip costs and a payload capacity of 140 metric tons, while offering reduced noise and lower emissions.

Emirates new 747-8 Freighters position the carrier to take advantage of strong regional and international cargo markets. Air cargo traffic into, out of and within the Middle East accounted for 5.8 percent of the world's tonnage and nearly 5 percent of the world's revenue tonne-kilometers during 2005. :o

Source: http://www.centreforaviation.com/aviation/...7-8_Freighters/

It sure isn't:

October 9, 2006

Airbus lost its second chief executive in three months on Monday after his plan to resolve delays to the A380 superjumbo offended Germany and opened a rift with parent EADS.

In a statement ending days of speculation, the Franco-German aerospace group said chief executive Christian Streiff had resigned from Airbus with immediate effect and would be replaced by EADS co-chief Louis Gallois.

The resignation plunged the group into fresh turmoil 100 days after Streiff was appointed with a mandate to put Airbus back on course after the turbulence caused by delays to its flagship project to rival Boeing's 747.

"I hope that (my resignation) will provide a salutary shock that forces a rethink about how Airbus is governed," Streiff told France's Le Figaro newspaper.

Gallois used to run France's Aerospatiale, one of the groups that were folded into a merged EADS in 2000. He will retain his role at EADS, where he is co-chief executive alongside Tom Enders, EADS said in a statement.

"The new management structure will allow a leaner more efficient corporate governance and additional cost savings within the EADS group," it said.

An industry source who closely watches EADS said Streiff's position had become untenable after he exposed deep flaws in Airbus's industrial methods and raised the prospect of sensitive job cuts without adequate political cover.

Germany responded icily to his plans, especially to suggestions Airbus teams in Hamburg were responsible for the wiring installation faults that have pushed the A380 two years behind schedule because of obsolete design software.

Streiff described the Hamburg plant as "the weakest link" in the A380 production process.

Germany could bear the brunt of any factory reorganization since 10 out of the 16 Airbus European plants are based there.

"This whole affair became too political, too early," the industry source said.

German Finance Minister Peer Steinbrueck hinted at the tensions, telling reporters at a European Union meeting in Luxembourg it was important German factories were treated "equally".

An official close to French President Jacques Chirac said the French and German governments would discuss the situation at EADS at regular bilateral talks in Paris on Thursday.

Streiff said last week Airbus needed a radical cost-cutting plan and industrial streamlining to save EUR2 billion euros (USD$2.52 billion) a year because of internal inefficiencies and a weak dollar that benefits Boeing.

He took over as Airbus head at the beginning of July after earlier delays to the A380 -- then already a year late -- wiped a quarter off EADS shares and led to the resignation of Airbus chief executive Gustav Humbert and EADS co-chief Noel Forgeard.

In a further blow to the company, Airbus reported on Monday that it sold just 4 aircraft in September, a lower number of orders than for any month in 2006 or 2005. Boeing has overtaken Airbus in net new orders this year with 723 planes added to its backlog by October 3.

(Reuters)

Life is not going to be easy at Airbus anytime soon I reckon !

BC, actually, life is going to be easy at Airbus soon as many people will not have to do anything :D Senang-senang :D

Hey, they are changing chief executives more rapidly than we change chief ministers here in Sabah (well, used to anyway) :p

Just imagine the tremendous bargaining advantage Emirates has now over Airbus. Wonder how far they will stoop - lifetime warranty, free parts and service for first xx years or xx,xxx,xxx miles, whichever comes first, etc etc ? :) :)

Do I smell 748i from EK, thhis order might just to secure slots, they can alter it to pax anytime :good: What happen to the rumour EK gonna order 20 748i and decrease A380 to 20...........could this be it, I hope our King of EK here can answer this :D

10 748Fs... Emirates.. a very tradtional airbus custome (apart from ofcourse the 777s) are expanding their cargo ops with 748Fs.. well the Americans must be dancing endlessly around the corporate table whilst the europeans are ducking under theirs...

The bigger fall out from the Airbus A380 Debacle will be in the form of political nit-picking.. the Germans, French and English have always been watching their own backs from the inception of Airbus, and got along only because of the success they had of late.. but that's all changed now I'm sure.. and with BAe selling its stake, and the French and the Germans arguing over leadership, the company is in real strife... here's a thought.. why not put an American in charge??? I know that seems rather outlandish, but John Leahy has much to do with the success Airbus has accomplished.. could he fit into the role of CEO??

Do I smell 748i from EK, thhis order might just to secure slots, they can alter it to pax anytime :good: What happen to the rumour EK gonna order 20 748i and decrease A380 to 20...........could this be it, I hope our King of EK here can answer this :D

Who's the King of EK? :blink: :huh:

Anyways, based on what's being said in Dubai...the A380 issue is pretty much a hot topic amongst co-workers and senior management as the training programmes have already begun. Some sources confirmed that they are cancelling the whole thing...some say only half...others say they're buying more (truly deprived employees <_>

So for now...im not going to confirm anything as my sources themselves are unsure of the current situation. I'll update you guys accordingly. :)

King Imran of Emirates,

very interesting info :) thanks for sharing

Don't think the aircaft would be easily converted into pax versions given the shorter upper deck and whole nose door thing.... unless that's a new method of rapid boarding and deplaning...

That would actually look pretty cool... what would an aerobridge for pax look like if it had to hook up to the huge nose door of a cargo 747....There would be less mechanisms in the actual gate.. and the process would be a heck of a lot faster.. but then what happens to your first class cabin??

Edited by Sandeep G

King Imran of Emirates,

very interesting info :) thanks for sharing

Don't think the aircaft would be easily converted into pax versions given the shorter upper deck and whole nose door thing.... unless that's a new method of rapid boarding and deplaning...

That would actually look pretty cool... what would an aerobridge for pax look like if it had to hook up to the huge nose door of a cargo 747....There would be less mechanisms in the actual gate.. and the process would be a heck of a lot faster.. but then what happens to your first class cabin??

That sounds like docking a spacecraft to the space station!! :rofl: :good: Lovely scene. :p

That sounds like docking a spacecraft to the space station!! :rofl: :good: Lovely scene. :p

Indeed!

BTW, Tony.. go the EOS400D :) hahahaha dare to be different!

Indeed!

BTW, Tony.. go the EOS400D :) hahahaha dare to be different!

Mentioned in another thread - SV thought I got the 400D as pressie. But I'm actually just planning to get it - need a job!

hehehe well find one (a job) and then the DSLR market is yours to conquer!

Working on it ;) Waiting for 2nd interview.

Good news for Boeing, good news for spotters, too!

as in the purchase of Tony's new camera?? :D I think so too! :) hehehe but yes, in other news, Boeing (just 5 months after signing the letter of agreement with the RAAF) has rolled out the RAAFs first C17 Globemaster from the paint shop in Long Beach CA.! NOW that's a quick delivery. 2nd one to be delivered next year and this one is embarking on flight tests around about.. now :)

Clark: Emirates remains committed to A380

Friday October 13, 2006

Emirates President Tim Clark denied rumors that the airline may cancel some of its A380 orders.

Speaking to ATWOnline in Sydney, Clark said Emirates wants the aircraft as soon as possible: "Certainly the delay is a serious setback to our growth plans but we want the aircraft."

EK now gets it first A380 in August 2008, when it should have been receiving its 18th. Clark said the airline is looking at additional capacity options focused around the 777-300ER. It is delighted with that aircraft, which is 3% better than guarantee on its specific fuel consumption and has shown no signs of performance degradation after six months, which is "outstanding," he said.

Emirates also is looking at the 747-8 Intercontinental, not as an A380 replacement but to fit between the 777-300ER and A380, Clark noted. And he suggested that EK is about six months away from ordering either the 787 or A350 XWB.

by Geoffrey Thomas/ATW...

..............the airline is looking at additional capacity options focused around the 777-300ER. It is delighted with that aircraft, which is 3% better than guarantee on its specific fuel consumption and has shown no signs of performance degradation after six months, which is "outstanding," he said.

Sure the people at EK are happy with the B777-300ER but the poor passengers in it are suffering! Just travelled KUL-DXB, DXB-LHR, LHR-DXB, DXB-SIN, SIN-KUL on that aircraft. 1 sector in J class and the rest was in EY. The EY seat was the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in my life! Sure the ICE system was outstanding, cabin crew fantastic and service world class but the narrow seats (EK squeze 10 seats abreast instead of the normal 9 seats), the hard seats and the unusual rise of the seat that the edge is just horrible!

Sure the people at EK are happy with the B777-300ER but the poor passengers in it are suffering! Just travelled KUL-DXB, DXB-LHR, LHR-DXB, DXB-SIN, SIN-KUL on that aircraft. 1 sector in J class and the rest was in EY. The EY seat was the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in my life! Sure the ICE system was outstanding, cabin crew fantastic and service world class but the narrow seats (EK squeze 10 seats abreast instead of the normal 9 seats), the hard seats and the unusual rise of the seat that the edge is just horrible!

heh? :huh:

The seats on the 77W are wider than the seats on the other aircrafts? :mellow:

Then again...to each his own.

Thanks for patronizing Emirates :good:

The seats on the 77W are wider than the seats on the other aircrafts? :mellow:

The seats on the EK B77W are not wider when there is an extra seat in each row compared to other B777 operators. The pitch is better then most because it is 34" instead of the usual 32" that most operators have on their B777. Give a little, take a little.

MH has only in 278 pax on a 2 class B777-200 but EK packs in 304 in a 2 class B777-200!

MH has only in 278 pax on a 2 class B777-200 but EK packs in 304 in a 2 class B777-200!

And which of these airlines is making more money? :) MH was too generous with the B772.. plus the forward end was/is too big..

Interesting to note that the airline has yet to implement the higher seat densities mentioned under the BTP.. a sign that the BTP is merely words on paper rather than profit-making actions??

Perhaps the other "cost-reduction" activities have resulted in the company making more money than they envisioned and so such planned activities have been momentarily KIV'd ?

The seats on the EK B77W are not wider when there is an extra seat in each row compared to other B777 operators. The pitch is better then most because it is 34" instead of the usual 32" that most operators have on their B777. Give a little, take a little.

When I say.." on the other aircrafts ", I meant on the other EMIRATES aircrafts.

Sandeep,

I have to second your statement...who's making more money? If passengers REALLY REALLY hated the seats...they can just fly MAS...and based on load factors for routes which both EK/MH operate, namely the KUL-DXB-KUL sector, passengers clearly prefer EK's service over that offered by MH.

In essence.."The passengers have spoken..".. :rofl: