MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seng Lim

Finnair to KL

Some more info on Finnair MD-11s coming to KUL '07...

"Finnair are shuffling around thier long haul services in the Winter timetable due to planned MD11 maintenance. Currently their sole A340 operates to Shanghai. From 29 October till 2nd December the A340 will operate the Osaka and Nagoya flights vice MD11 and from 2nd December the A340 will revert back to the Shanghai route.

From June 2007 after the arrival of 2 new A340's, Beijing and Delhi will be operated by the new aircraft.

Bangkok will have 13 flights a week from May 2007, all MD11 operated with 4 flights continuing to Singapore and 3 onto the new destination of Kuala Lumpur. Hong Kong flights will revert to non stop operations for the Summer period instead if via Bangkok. Thanks to Ikka Mannikainen for this info.

Edited by Ahmad Sharilamin

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Was planning to issue an award tix using my AA miles - MEL-SIN-KUL-BKK (QF, JL, AY) return but that's no longer possible then ! :(

My dad company already booked us on Finnair to Bangkok this summer. Will see................

It is AY's responsibility to rebook you at no charge if you've already ticketed your booking.

Edited by Keith T

Who might that be? TG?

Could be LH. LH's load factors BKK-KUL are extremely low and feeder traffic from AY would be good. The planned BKK-KUL frequency was 3xweekly. It could be TG if they want a daily though. And the operative word being 'partners.'

A stronger possibility is CX HKG-KUL like what BA and AA are doing. Given that CX = oneworld, an arrangement like this is highly probable.

Edited by Keith T

"Singapore and the flights previously planned for Kuala Lumpur will be served in cooperation with partner

airlines."

My bet would be: SIN by BA/QF and KUL by CX ;)

Bad news, indeed, for you guys....glad I made a trip to Helsinfors/Helsinki last Summer :yahoo:

Haven't heard new from my dad yet...........I guess the company receive the notice real late <_>

Bad for spotters, ergh.........Santa Claus not coming to KUL :(

Finnair will report a negative operating result for 2006 "due to costs from structural arrangements and changes in fuel derivative market value," CEO Jukka Hienonen said yesterday. He cited a €100 million ($129.6 million) year-over-year increase in fuel costs and more than €15 million in one-off costs from Finnair Technical Division, "which had a hard year," he admitted. "The year 2006 will be an interim year in Finnair's result development," he said at an industry forum in Kirkkonummi. "The structural changes begun last year give justified reason to believe that the result for 2007 will be significantly better than in the previous year."

Finnair posted a 2005 profit of €61.4 million, but after reporting a 61% year-over-year plunge in third-quarter earnings to €10.3 million, it said it would cut approximately 670 jobs as part of its restructuring.

Hienonen said capacity to Asia will rise 30% in 2007, including a new five-times-weekly flight to Mumbai and an increase in Delhi service from thrice-weekly to daily from May. Frequencies to Guangzhou and Hong Kong also will rise. Previously planned service to Kuala Lumpur will be operated as a codeshare. In addition, all long-haul flights from Helsinki will be nonstop. The airline will add two new A340-300s in May and June.

Previously planned service to Kuala Lumpur will be operated as a codeshare.

Hmm,planned flight to KUL as codeshare.Perhaps CX,from my point of view.

Well, what else can be said, the focus is indeed on India and China generally !!

Perhaps Malaysia should look into serious methods to attract not only airlines

but tourist and business expatriates to Malaysia, which IMHO, should be changing

lot of things like opening up business opportunities to more foreigners and improving

on many more issues before aggressively promoting Malaysia.

At least AY's lost is now compensated with JQ (Jetstar) which I hope will be a boost

to both airline and Malaysia in the long run.

:rolleyes:

Edited by kandiah k