MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Air NZ uniforms hits snag

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3785390a11215,00.html

IPB Image

Air New Zealand is rethinking its multi-million-dollar, Zambesi-designed uniform less than six months after it was introduced.

In a company-wide survey, described as routine, the airline asks for ideas on ways to improve the uniform. It comes amid a groundswell of complaints about the new-look gear.

The uniform, touted as having "koru-inspired curves" in natural toning of teal, greenstone, and schist, was unveiled at New Zealand Fashion Week last October and introduced in March.

But it has been dogged by staff complaints that it is uncomfortable, poorly fitting, unflattering to larger women, and impractical.

[u[]

Some pilots worried their new magnetic badges were not secure enough and might fall off into the controls.

When Air New Zealand staff began wearing the uniform, Zambesi's Elisabeth Findlay said they had collaborated with the design team for 18 months to ensure it would be "functional and fulfil the brief".

But within months the airline began surveying staff to "identify any issues and ways we could improve the uniform".

Airline spokesman David Jamieson said the survey was in its final stages and was part of a standard evaluation process to better understand the needs of uniformed staff.

"Our goal was to create a uniform that delivered our staff exceptional comfort, functionality and style. We have received positive feedback from both staff and customers about our new look," Jamieson said.

Fashion editor Stacy Gregg said uniforms were not Zambesi's "forte".

"Zambesi is an incredibly creative company that may not have been a good choice," she said.

The company's signature style had always been layered looks "very much reliant on fabrics".

"Structural design is not what they do," said Gregg. "A uniform by value has to be perfunctory fabric and not layered. Zambesi's handwriting is in conflict with what a uniform is."

The airline's strict media policy meant no staff were prepared to talk to the Sunday Star-Times for fear they may lose their jobs.

However, the concerns about the uniform were corroborated by several sources who believed its problems would be reflected in the survey results.

While the exact cost of the new uniform has never been released, the issuing to staff of just a single set of uniforms - which contain six to 12 individual items including a merino wrap for women, and men's shirts incorporating a Maori motif - was estimated to top $2 million. Many staff are issued more than one set, depending on their roles.

Note: Zambesi is a New Zealand fashion design company based in Wellington. They have won a few fashion awards in the past

Edited by S V Choong

Note: Zambesi is a New Zealand fashion design company based in Wellington. They have won a few fashion awards in the past

My mum went crazy at their store in central Sydney. But yeah, I agree that their style is not really suited to making uniforms. Now bring on Keith Mathieson or Bettina Liano (but I suppose they won't like Liano since she's from across the pond) and Air NZ stewardesses will resemble Marissa Cooper of the OC. ;)

Hmm... not sure if the Kiwis would fancy their mates accross the ditch to design the uniform for them. As you know, there's this national pride issue.

This NZ uniform has a nickname called "The Jetsons" IIRC. :D

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3785390a11215,00.html

IPB Image

Unflattering to larger women heh ? Wait till they start wearing uniforms like what the ladies in MH and SQ wear. There'd be a massive protest then perhaps.

Edited by Sing Yew

Unflattering to larger women heh ? Wait till they start wearing uniforms like what the ladies in MH and SQ wear. There'd be a massive protest then perhaps.

Rite on Sing Yew..That's the Other Part of it that they Didn't Mention..

To be honest they Current Uniforms don't exactly look like uniform..Looks more like

for e.g. when u go to the Jewellery shops, the People who Work there mainly wear that Sort of Clothes/Uniforms..

When Compared with MH,SQ,CX and Thai, Air NZ uniform is No where Close to their Standard..

But then again, Some of the People who work for Air NZ are kinda big in Size..XXXXXL :rofl: :rofl:

So maybe the Uniforms are Perfect for them..

From what I know, MAS force their F/As to lose weight or have them refrain from flying for failure to comply to the weight restriction. If the same regime is apply to Air NZ, these big girls will moan about the human rights issue, blah blah blah.

From what I know, MAS force their F/As to lose weight or have them refrain from flying for failure to comply to the weight restriction. If the same regime is apply to Air NZ, these big girls will moan about the human rights issue, blah blah blah.

I think SQ impose the same requirement on their FAs as well.

Well I think they will moan about discrimination.

hahah!!! :rofl:

For many years and many uniform schemes, I think Air NZ has one of the lousiest uniform around. During the early 90s, they had this colourful and flowery uniform which looks more like pyjamas than uniforms!

If they choose to go traditional Maori clothing (not sure what it is like!) I bet it will trigger a different kind of outcry as well!

Zealich, yeah a lot of people found the grey really boring when they initially introduced it.

Edited by S V Choong

I think SQ impose the same requirement on their FAs as well.

Well I think they will moan about discrimination.

That is the Way it should be..I mean as a Passenger, would you like to see FAT stewardesses Serving You..

Especially when flying Business or First Class..

No way for me..

That is the Way it should be..I mean as a Passenger, would you like to see FAT stewardesses Serving You..

Especially when flying Business or First Class..

No way for me..

ya agree...no mood to eat if I get a fat stewardesses serving me...see already no heart...

Weight is stewardess night mare............at least not in US. Well, doesn't make any difference if the one serve me big or small, it's all come down to the airline quality :good:

Well, doesn't make any difference if the one serve me big or small, it's all come down to the airline quality :good:

I second that.

Weight is stewardess night mare............at least not in US. Well, doesn't make any difference if the one serve me big or small, it's all come down to the airline quality :good:

I second that.

I'd rather have a friendly and smiling thick framed stewardess than to have a model slim but nasty and unfriendly stewardess serving me.

Well, doesn't make any difference if the one serve me big or small, it's all come down to the airline quality :good:

I, uhh, third that! :)

I'd rather have a friendly and smiling thick framed stewardess than to have a model slim but nasty and unfriendly stewardess serving me.

Ok, I actually meant 'fourth that!' :D

The thing about big girl and big guy serving on the plane is, I believe, more to do with the ability to fit through the aisle. Obviously the bigger the person the more clumsy they get. It doesn't worry me if they are attactive or not, but they do contribute to the overall image of the company.

The worker's union and employment contract (by NZ Law) makes it harder for employers to lay off their staff based on these grounds, like Sing Yew said, the big girls will file lawsuit against Air NZ for discrimination. This is one thing which is different from MAS or SIA. In Asia, you can get fired pretty easy and for personal or insignificant reasons too.

I think we missed the whole point - the new uniform suck! Thats it. Anyone would like to 'fifth' this one? :D

Edited by S V Choong

The thing about big girl and big guy serving on the plane is, I believe, more to do with the ability to fit through the aisle. Obviously the bigger the person the more clumsy they get. It doesn't worry me if they are attactive or not, but they do contribute to the overall image of the company.

The worker's union and employment contract (by NZ Law) makes it harder for employers to lay off their staff based on these grounds, like Sing Yew said, the big girls will file lawsuit against Air NZ for discrimination. This is one thing which is different from MAS or SIA. In Asia, you can get fired pretty easy and for personal or insignificant reasons too.

I think we missed the whole point - the new uniform suck! Thats it. Anyone would like to 'fifth' this one? :D

Fifth :drinks: the uniform suck!!

actually I prefered stewardess with nice body shape and have a sweet smile..both of this have to combine + nice uniform to make our journey nice rite..

Fifth :drinks: the uniform suck!!

actually I prefered stewardess with nice body shape and have a sweet smile..both of this have to combine + nice uniform to make our journey nice rite..

sixth :) :drinks:

Some place they are the glamorous stewardess. In other countries they are flight attendants.

Makes a lot of difference in maximum ages and looks.

Sign in to follow this