MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Seng Lim

Govt tell MAS & AK to reduce flights delays.

The interesting part on this news is the definition of delays between MAS & AK:

Defition of Delay for MAS = exceed 15 minutes of the original scheduled (International Standard)

Defition of Delay for AK = exceed 30 minutes of the original scheduled (AK Standard)

Thus AK has been told by Govt. to follow the international 15 minutes standard as their current 88% on time performance is based on 30 minutes which is not a good standard.

PUTRAJAYA, Aug 23 (Bernama) -- The government has ordered national carrier Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and budget airline AirAsia to take immediate measures to cut flight delays that had occurred frequently over the last three months.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said the ministry would also monitor closely the two airlines in the next one or two months to ensure that there was improvement.

The ministry had received many complaints of flight delays from all over the country and the airlines had cited technical problems, the weather, air traffic control and passengers arriving late or not showing up as the reasons, he told reporters after chairing a post-Cabinet meeting at the ministry, here.

"Of course, there are many reasons but the ministry has informed MAS and AirAsia that they have to find ways and means to improve their performance. I want to see less delays all over the country. We are very unhappy with the two airlines," he said.

Chan said that going by the international standard, a delay occurred when a flight exceeded its schedule by 15 minutes, adding that MAS had registered 87 per cent "on time" flights, meaning that the airline had 13 per cent delays.

He said he was informed by AirAsia that its definition of a delay was exceeding the schedule by 30 minutes.

"I am asking now for 15 minutes because that is the international standard. If you go by 30 minutes, AirAsia has 88.03 per cent `on time' flights, meaning the airline has 11.93 per cent delays. But that is 30 minutes. I want 15 minutes. If it goes by 15 minutes, I think the figure would be higher on delays," he said.

Chan said reasons of weather and technical problems that posed a threat to safety were acceptable but matters within control such as air traffic control and passengers arriving late had to be overcome immediately.

"Of course, I have been told that going by the international standard, these figures are good but I am not happy anyway," he said, adding that 87 per cent "on time" flights for domestic and Southeast Asian operations was high and good performance.

"But to me and to the government, I think they can do better. So, we want them to do better. We will monitor them very closely in the next one or two months," he said.

Chan also said that after the rationalisation of the domestic routes on Aug 1, the ministry was monitoring closely all the complaints that have been submitted to it.

"We are monitoring very closely all the problems faced by the passengers, including the business community, and especially those from Sabah and Sarawak where there has been a reduction in flight frequencies on certain routes.

"We also got a lot of appeals from elected representatives from Sabah and Sarawak over the reduction in flight frequencies, which has caused a lot of inconvenience for people in several stations, particularly Labuan, Miri, Sandakan, Tawau, Lahad Datu and Kota Kinabalu," he said.

Chan said the ministry would call a meeting in one or two days to look into all the information that it has gathered on the ground and the complaints that have been submitted to it to ensure improvement.

There are even standards for both carriers?!

:D

Both should be fixed at 15 mins, as agreed 'worldwide'.

If AK had their 'own' rule of 30 mins before it's seen as a delay is bad business enough :angry:

Walter, I believe that The One Closed Runway is Causing these Problems Most of the Time as the Que for Take-off is Quite long..So this Maybe the Main Reason for Delays..

from AK website we can see their performance is calculated base on the 15mins standard and they are telling the gov, about the 30minutes standard for them, which one is true? but we can see significant drop over last month....

http://www.airasia.com/site/en/page.jsp?re...manceStatistics

single runway operation have big impact on AK since their turnaround time is short... once delay.. all the following flight are affected, my flight from LGK to KUL last week was arrived late from KUL for 15minutes, according to the captains it was due to the single runway ops

Walter, I believe that The One Closed Runway is Causing these Problems Most of the Time as the Que for Take-off is Quite long..So this Maybe the Main Reason for Delays..

Agree with you bro... :good:

This is only KLIA you know ..

How about places like Heathrow and etc .

They still can pull it off . Why can't we ?

We need a reliable and efficient Air Traffic Management System, perhaps? :unknw: I haven't heard much about it - the aviation industry in Malaysia is all too secretive at the moment (everything confidential...WAT?!). More transparency! :nea:

I was just wondering why now only making noise about delay? Does the minister know that single runway ops is in effect at klia? plus, the closures could have been done in a more orderly manner. Otherwise, its not just KLIA, but other factors like waiting for passengers. This one, only one way of solving, just close the gate 5 mins before departure time, for everyone including VIPS, CIPS, CEOS & GROS. ;) Air traffic control can't be help by the airlines. The minister should have been told this because this is run by DCA which is under the minister's ministry. duh! don't blame the airlines if your controllers are not capable, confident or systematic enough to avoid delays and sequence us properly. Ofcourse, this problem can't be eliminated 100% but atleast a reduction would suffice.

They obviously ran out of topics to talk about, and so they peeked around and picked this one! :rofl:

Erm...poking the stick right at the controllers, huh? Let's not blame them first - we should first determine if the ATM system is reliable. If it's not, well, do something to improve it~!

ATC in KLIA waits a hell of a long time in between departures... I don't know why, but the wait is unbelieveably long.. I've heard of 10NM seperation (don't quote me, I've also heard that during peak periods sepration is brought down to as much as 4-5NM), but usually departures are governed by the wake of preceeding aircraft departures... in London, you will note that aircraft immediately execute a turn to track 20/30 degrees off the runway centreline thereby providing quicker departures.

now with single runway ops, the wait is even longer! MAHB maybe should have closed 14L/32R for works and opened 14R/32L for ops... I say this because taxi times for departures are considerably shorter, since 14L is in use practically every day now too... and when they should complete work by the time the winds are such that 32R are used for arrivals and departures..

ATC have the equipment, but TK once told us that they don't use it to its full potential because of "their comfort levels" with older procedures...

Time for change, maybe?

ATC in KLIA waits a hell of a long time in between departures... I don't know why, but the wait is unbelieveably long.. I've heard of 10NM seperation (don't quote me, I've also heard that during peak periods sepration is brought down to as much as 4-5NM), but usually departures are governed by the wake of preceeding aircraft departures... in London, you will note that aircraft immediately execute a turn to track 20/30 degrees off the runway centreline thereby providing quicker departures.

now with single runway ops, the wait is even longer! MAHB maybe should have closed 14L/32R for works and opened 14R/32L for ops... I say this because taxi times for departures are considerably shorter, since 14L is in use practically every day now too... and when they should complete work by the time the winds are such that 32R are used for arrivals and departures..

ATC have the equipment, but TK once told us that they don't use it to its full potential because of "their comfort levels" with older procedures...

Time for change, maybe?

no matter which runway they use now, it will switch to other runway one day. 14L is sechduled to be closed for upgrade after the upgrading work at 14R is completed, actually what do they upgrade? extend the runway or strengthen it to accomodate A380 ?

Previously in my case, out of four AK flights, three were delayed slightly less than 30 minutes and only one flight was delayed more than 30 minutes. So AK said, only one flight was delayed :good:

no matter which runway they use now, it will switch to other runway one day. 14L is sechduled to be closed for upgrade after the upgrading work at 14R is completed, actually what do they upgrade? extend the runway or strengthen it to accomodate A380 ?

They should have done it in the other order is what I am trying to say.. close 14L/32R now, and use 14R, then when 14L ready, close 14R/32L

They are widening the shoulder by 15m. And complete resurfacing - the old surface is being dumped in the palm oil estate around the wx station.. so if you want a piece of the runway, by all means, grab one! :)

the old surface is being dumped in the palm oil estate around the wx station..

No environmental issues here ?? :huh: ??

May be the gov. should look into details what happen to the Taiwanese stranded at BKI due to AK delayed flight<_>

Edited by Seth K

They should have done it in the other order is what I am trying to say.. close 14L/32R now, and use 14R, then when 14L ready, close 14R/32L

They are widening the shoulder by 15m. And complete resurfacing - the old surface is being dumped in the palm oil estate around the wx station.. so if you want a piece of the runway, by all means, grab one! :)

i see, thanks for the infos.

Same in Penang if departure is Rwy 04 and a/c heading south. A/c would turn towards south above of even before P. Jerejak. What's te actual altitude I don't know but I've always wondered why other airports I've been to, KLIA in particular, doesn't do that when the terrain permits.

Had the ATC did some simple planning ahead (considering the weather throughout the year) and renovated the other runway first as Sandeep points out there wouldn't have been unnecessary taxi length and queue.

Pardon my ignorance here - but how is 'on time' defined in all these statistics ? Meaning, what is the 'end point' - when the doors are closed ? when the aircraft starts moving ? when the tyres leave the tarmac ? I suppose the target time of departure would be the published ETD ?

What about at destination ? How is the end point determined ? The moment tyres burn on runway or when doors are opened at allocated gate ?

Any clarification appreciated :)

To put it simply:

off-blocks to on-blocks, meaning, from movements/pushback at departing airport to standstill at arriving airport...

KLM will use off-blocks, airborne, touchdown and on-blocks in this sequence for their statistics ;)

But to me, if the airline officials are already award bout single runaway ops then they shld try to push back the aircraft a lil ahead of time. This is possible as MAS always try doing it. According to my dad (Inflight Supervisor in MAS) they always try closing the door and pushing back the aircraft 5-10 mins ahead of schedule...it is possible and it works to right off taxiway delays. Not too sure if it will work with AK though coz of their short 25 mins turnaround time.

mind me asking, is the closed runway in KLIA causing delays?

or is KLIA not that busy enough to cause delays.

sure walter. single runway operation is also the culprit as it can cause 'domino effect'. but as far as we are concerned, single runway operation is good for spotters. hehehe..... :good: :D

Same in Penang if departure is Rwy 04 and a/c heading south. A/c would turn towards south above of even before P. Jerejak. What's te actual altitude I don't know but I've always wondered why other airports I've been to, KLIA in particular, doesn't do that when the terrain permits.

Had the ATC did some simple planning ahead (considering the weather throughout the year) and renovated the other runway first as Sandeep points out there wouldn't have been unnecessary taxi length and queue.

Due to the SID's used in KLIA . Most of the departures have an 8-9 nm climbout before making its first move .

Penang , you're vectored by ATC I believe .

my experience sucked.

It's few years ago, when my grandma passed away. Being sort of an emergency, we opted for the FIRST flight out of Miri which happens to be AK. After that, they sent a text saying that the flight would be cancelled and retimed to around 11 midnight. WTF? as it was an emergency we bought a one way ticket to KL on MH.

AFTER THAT!

When its about time to come back, they sent us a sms saying exactly its retimed again. My dad has a meeting to rush in Miri hence we took MH back again.

thats about it, my closest experiece of delays with Air Asia... now everyone can fly and get retimed.

Edited by Walter Sim

Sign in to follow this