MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

Birdstrike

A bird was ingested into the engine during approach. The pilots didn't even realize it and left the aircraft later. I was supposed to take over the aircraft. damage was noticed by the ground engineer and aircraft was grounded.

IPB Image

Overall view of the engine. Can you count how many of the N1 blades were damaged?

IPB Image

Closeup view of some of the damaged blades.

IPB Image

What's left of the poor bird.

Edited by Radzi

Geez....Looks scary,Capt.Radzi.Thanks for sharing the photo to all MWingers.Is that a/c a 737,Capt?

wow, never know a bird can cause such damage to the engine...

btw, since the ac is grounded... flight delayed?

Damm, Never Knew a Bird Could cause that Much Damage..

Capt Radzi, When such even like this Happens, is it possible to hear any noise..??

In the cabin..

I counted 4 blades...betui ah?

Hmm...I count 3 :p

Damm, Never Knew a Bird Could cause that Much Damage..

Capt Radzi, When such even like this Happens, is it possible to hear any noise..??

In the cabin..

Ooo~ Birdstrikes can be very dangerous. My friend worked with Qantas Safety a few months ago, and he was responsible for collecting and analysing data for birdstrikes at Sydney airport. So yeah, now we have a birdstrike expert in class! :yahoo:

Whether or not it could be hard in the cabin will depend on the size of the bird, I believe. A small quail is unlikely to be heard, but if you suck a big fat pelican into the blades, I bet you can hear it, and feel it! :rolleyes:

Anyway, what would happen if nobody found this, and the aircraft took off?

Anyway, thanks for every crew who fly us to every destination! :drinks:

Anyway, what would happen if nobody found this, and the aircraft took off?

That is why we do walkaround, both by the pilots and engineer.

In this case the crew who actually hit the bird didn't even notice. It actually will depend on the size of the bird and the extend of the damage. If the aircraft continues, the damage could get worse.

Anyway, 4 blades were damaged. 3 adjacent ones in the closeup picture, and one lower down visible in the first picture.

Edited by Radzi

Radzi, if the plane still fly with the minor damage blade, does it effect the aircraft?

May the bird rest in Peace :sorry:

This reminds me of the 777 documentary I saw on Discovery a few years back. They fired frozen chickens into the engine at full throttle. No effect whatsoever I think. This is wicked tho. Can't imagine a lil bird doing such damage to the engines. Whats the reg of the unfortunate aircraft?

This reminds me of the 777 documentary I saw on Discovery a few years back. They fired frozen chickens into the engine at full throttle. No effect whatsoever I think. This is wicked tho. Can't imagine a lil bird doing such damage to the engines. Whats the reg of the unfortunate aircraft?

I don't think Radzi fly the T7 :)

May be it's not a bird, people assumed it's a bird, could be Superman, afterall Superman Return, right?

Edited by Seth K

Anyway, 4 blades were damaged. 3 adjacent ones in the closeup picture, and one lower down visible in the first picture.

Tony, its quite easy to spot the damage on the N1 blades...look at the blemish spots..kinda vague but thats definetely damaged ;)

Birdstrike... :pardon:

A friend did forced-emergency landing on uncompleted

highway after losing his props of his single-engine aircraft...

Findings of invetigation... birdstrike.. :pardon:

What will happen if the engine sucks in a big fat pelican?

Wouldn't be a pleasant ride anymore. Possible loss of power - the engine will start vibrating violently and eventually needs to be shut down. Then fly to the nearest airport, land the metal and have it checked by maintenance.

Frozen chicken hitting the blades and they're still fine? Hmm... Maybe, maybe not. On the bright side, the cockpit windscreens are very tough - durability tested with frozen chicken launched from cannons. Proved to be tough! :D