MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Chong H. V.

Happen to snap at SDK on 19.06.2006

I went back to my hometown on 17.06.2006 at Sandakan, Sabah.

On the 19.06.2006, I try to drive around the SDK Airport to find a photo shooting point and

snapped these to share with the www.malaysianwings.com members. Hope you all like it.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

In-side the SDK building

IPB Image

This pics was taken when I was on-board flight back to LCC

IPB Image

Thank you for viewing. :pardon:

Edited by mafanyau

mafanyau,

Thanks for the greatly needed photos all the way from SDK. Hehe I really love the SDK terminal with the colored geometric glass. Very unique and I didn't seen any airport has this in Sabah (dunno about airport in S'wak or West M'sia though.)

So you are originally from SDK eh? :huh:

mafanyau,

Thanks for the greatly needed photos all the way from SDK. Hehe I really love the SDK terminal with the colored geometric glass. Very unique and I didn't seen any airport has this in Sabah (dunno about airport in S'wak or West M'sia though.)

So you are originally from SDK eh? :huh:

Thanks Adrian for your comments, my hometown in Sandakan. ;)

Mafanyau, thanks for sharing.

By the way, I noticed that from Google's pic that SDK airport appears to have a strip of pavement that looks like the old disuse runway at the South Eastern corner of the pic. Can you confirm if thats the old air strip? Where was the old terminal?

I remember that Sandakan built this current airport during the 80s. Looks really nice back then but looks kinda tired now.

Wish to visit Sandakan sometime. But the way, I am also a Sabahan originally from Tawau :)

Edited by S V Choong

Mafanyau, thanks for sharing.

By the way, I noticed that from Google's pic that SDK airport appears to have a strip of pavement that looks like the old disuse runway at the South Eastern corner of the pic. Can you confirm if thats the old air strip? Where was the old terminal?

I remember that Sandakan built this current airport during the 80s. Looks really nice back then but looks kinda tired now.

Wish to visit Sandakan sometime. But the way, I am also a Sabahan originally from Tawau :)

Dear SV Choong, I can't remember, there was longtime back. Maybe I can search some information. :rolleyes:

its always nice too see photos from other airport in Malaysia..esp from Sabah and Sarawak..thanks for sharing bro..

SDK reminds me of SBW..except for the roof..

Uncle BC Tam, do you know anything about Sandakan old airport?

Sorry, no help from this corner - SDK was already like that on my first visit, well, minus the aerobridges (may be just me, but they seem like out of place there !)

hope one of this day we can make a trip to tour round whole Sabah and S'wak... of course is to tour the airport... :p :lol: Adrian ho... :lol:

Edited by Samuel Chy

hope one of this day we can make a trip to tour round whole Sabah and S'wak... of course is to tour the airport... :p :lol: Adrian ho... :lol:

Yeah! hehe :lol:

Regarding SDK airport, anybody know the history of it? Next to the Sabah Air hangar is something that looks like a disused runway. Does SDK used to have a different runway than the one used now?

Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing. Love the stained glass walls which remind me of a Maori church. Hope they don't change that part in future developments.

Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing. Love the stained glass walls which remind me of a Maori church

Maori church?? Which one is that Attan? Mind sharing?

Stained glass are found commonly amongst European churches though.

At first I though the F50 flared too early... :rofl:

Then I saw the next pix....

It was taking off.... :rofl:

Thanks for sharing.... never been to Sandakan before :sorry:

I went back to my hometown on 17.06.2006 at Sandakan, Sabah.

On the 19.06.2006, I try to drive around the SDK Airport to find a photo shooting point and

snapped these to share with the www.malaysianwings.com members. Hope you all like it.

In-side the SDK building

IPB Image

Nice....I like this one....1st time for me to see SDK/Sabah

Maori church?? Which one is that Attan? Mind sharing?

Stained glass are found commonly amongst European churches though.

IIRC, SV, it's in the Maori Village in Rotorua. The windows at the far end are stained glass from what I can remember. Sorry for the poor picture as the photo print has lost the original colour over time.

IPB Image

Hi,

really thks for sharing those nice pics.... at least i know now there is a better spot to snap ptotos of the airport!

the disused runway is in fact the runway for the old sandakan airport, which was only a single storey wooden structure. Only F50 & F27 was able to land at SDK then. The existing airport was opened in 1986 (if i remember correctly), built by a korean contractor at a cost of ard rm50 mil then, together with the new 7000ft runway that usher in a new era of jets (mainly 737 from MAS) into SDK air space. It has a capacity to handle 1.5 mil pax movement a yr.

Over the yrs, not much major upgrading to the airport was done except when the 2 no of aerobridges was added, retrofitted from the old subang airport. These days, other than MAS 737-400, we have AirAsia A320 & B733 landing at SDK, plus F50 & the TO from FAX. Occasionally, we have chartered flights, mostly for european tourists, into SDK. MyTravel A330 was there at SDK in Jun this year. I also saw a chartered B757 by First Choice somewhere ard Feb in SDK.

cheers

we have chartered flights, mostly for european tourists, into SDK. MyTravel A330 was there at SDK in Jun this year. I also saw a chartered B757 by First Choice somewhere ard Feb in SDK.

I guess they came to Sandakan for Orang Utan. Been to the Sepilok Orang Utan reserve in 1997 but it was rather dissapointing. However I really enjoyed Sandakan wet market in the morning and the fish ball noddles over there are simple marvelous (maybe because the seafood is very fresh and cheap there). I also tried the turtle egg (I know I shouldn't but it's kinda common over there, they are selling turtle eggs like chicken eggs in the market!).

On every Saturday you also have the chance to taste 'dog meat' in most of the chinese coffee shop (according to my Sandakan friend where his family owned a coffee shop in Sandakan, In Sandakan there is a dogs farm and every Saturday the owner of the farm will prepared the stew dog meat and distribute to chinese coffee shop. If you want to order, just mention you want 'Three Six' (3+6=9 and pronunciation for 9 is same as dog in cantonese). Although my friend offered me to try 36 but I don't dare to take as I don't want to be chase my dogs. (Sorry for Muslim MW members if the content offended you, I just want to share it as a local interest/knowledge/culture ok).

Have to agree, I personally cannot see what the big hoo-hah Sepilok is supposed to be - perhaps trying to ward off pesky mosquitoes and nosey monkeys all the while. But then we the locals would be the last to appreciate what we are presented with on daily basis whilst the novelty value will strike all foreigners with full force wonders !

All said, our local STPC (tourism promotion body) must have done one heck of a fantastic promotion on Sabah for the results we're getting re. tourist arrivals.

Thanks for this thread, mafanyau. Very useful. Am planning to do SDK next Dec.

KUL-SDK AK5160 0715-1000 Tue 05Dec2006

SDK-KUL AK5163 1710-1955 Thu 07Dec2006

The usual touristy stuff lah. :yahoo:

thanks mafanyau. Interesting about Sandakan... why is Sepilok disappointing? Never been there...

Naim, I thought that you are an anti-tourist ? ;)

thanks mafanyau. Interesting about Sandakan... why is Sepilok disappointing? Never been there...

Naim, I thought that you are an anti-tourist ? ;)

Errr ... you got me there, Sir. :)

Just 3D/2N in Sandakan with 4 of our kids, so just do the normal tourist circuit lah - Sepilok, Labuk Bay for the proboscis monkeys, Berhala Island, historical Sandakan, shopping, etc, and not forgetting my fave spot - the wet/fish market!

Errr ... you got me there, Sir. :)

Just 3D/2N in Sandakan with 4 of our kids, so just do the normal tourist circuit lah - Sepilok, Labuk Bay for the proboscis monkeys, Berhala Island, historical Sandakan, shopping, etc, and not forgetting my fave spot - the wet/fish market!

And don't forget, we have a new fish market now! shifted to the partially completed Sandakan harbour square. On top of the fish market is a restaurant with a clear view of the Sandakan Bay.

Sign in to follow this